Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: A Whole New You

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The first responders take calls to help an unusual domestic disturbance, a "death" at a psychic's and a horrific motorcycle crash. Meanwhile, Bobby dips his toe into the dating pool, Abby takes a walk down memory lane, Buck is confronted by his past actions and Athena tries to start her new life.

Hah! I saw the ending coming after the church scene. I'm glad everyone ended the season happy.

Guy in the beginning was the annoying MJ lookalike from Nip/Tuck.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode, except that my heart is broken over how sad Buck looked when Abby walked through those doors. I get why she needs to travel and why she needs to find herself, I do. I’m just so sad!! I’m not even sure why I’m so invested in them, but I am. Ugh. ;) 

Karen coming back to Hen made me so happy, though. Yay for them! Hopefully Hen doesn’t screw it up again. 

I enjoyed the Athena/Bobby bonding and that Chim provided a bunch of comic relief tonight. 

Lastly, how amazing did Athena look in that dress at the end? Wow. 

• Love 15

I want Athena to be my friend.  Why don’t I have an Athena in my life?

I could tell it was coming and yet I still clapped and said yay! when she walked into the restaurant.

Again, she is 59 IRL.  FIFTY. NINE.  Courtney B. Vance is one lucky lucky man.

• Love 22

I....am surprisingly disappointed in Buck/Abby's relationship ending. I know he said that he'd wait for Abby, but if she's going to be gone for several months, or if she decides to stay gone, then Buck can't wait around forever. I won't how long it'll last for him. I've grown to really like Buck, but also Buck/Abby as a couple. I'm sure I'll be fine when season 2 starts up. 

I had my suspicions about Athena/Bobby the moment she went to comfort him after the motorcycle guy. And you know what? I'm surprised I never thought it could be a possibility. But you know what? I like it, to an extent. Ok, I rolled my eyes at Bobby deciding to give up his crusade of repenting for his sins because of Athena (not his whole suicide goal, but his need to, you know, try to make up for 150 PEOPLE HE KILLED), but the idea of them as a couple is actually intriguing for me. 

Also, Athena deserves some happiness. So...I mean, girl, you deserve better, but at the same time, you're also kind of reckless so...go be reckless together, I guess. 

I'd like to think Hen can work things out with her wife, but we'll see if she makes the same mistakes next season.

• Love 11

Did the guy whose wife was having the stroke still end up getting arrested?  I thought after it became clear that he wasn't abusing his wife, Athena would have gone over and removed the handcuffs.

I think Buck has really grown as a character.  I was proud of him for wanting to give the bloated corpse some dignity.  Its a shame Connie Britton only signed for one season, because I really came to enjoy the Abby/Buck pairing.

I never really considered a Bobby/Athena pairing, but I kind of like it as well. 

Still kind of meh on Hen and Karen.  Karen returning was a little too easy.  I believe they knew they were renewed when this episode was filmed, so they can't use the wanting everyone to end happily in case there wasn't a season 2 excuse.

If I was narcolepsy guy, I'd be visiting the tattoo parlor tomorrow.  

This show really turned into a pleasant surprise.  I almost didn't give it a try, but it is now one of my favorites.

Edited by Guest

OMG, I am so happy for Chim! 

I did not know Connie was only on this show for one season. I am assuming Buck will go back to his old ways. But his growth was actually well done.

DAMN, Angela is smoking! I am here for that pairing. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I....am surprisingly disappointed in Buck/Abby's relationship ending. I know he said that he'd wait for Abby, but if she's going to be gone for several months, or if she decides to stay gone, then Buck can't wait around forever. I won't how long it'll last for him. I've grown to really like Buck, but also Buck/Abby as a couple.

He said he'd be there when she came back but I guess we'll see if that means he's just waiting for her or dating.  It's a TV drama so if/when she comes back, he'll likely be with someone else.

I had my suspicions about Athena/Bobby the moment she went to comfort him after the motorcycle guy. And you know what? I'm surprised I never thought it could be a possibility. But you know what? I like it, to an extent.

I'm so proud of myself that I did think it was a possibility.  But part of that was because I liked Buck and Abby so much that I started to wonder who Bobby could be with when it seemed so obvious.  Still, I expected a triangle would be more likely and definitely didn't think they'd explore these two in the first season since neither seemed in a place to date.  I do look forward to seeing where they go. 

I still chuckled at the notion that BObby's just going to "shake it out" when it comes to killing 150 people. 

The good news about Connie Abby potentially not being around is I guess it makes it harder for Ryan Murphy to mess it all up.  In fact, I should probably bail now since I find his shows peak in their first season.

Karen coming back was a little easy.  I'm guessing this show was written before it was renewed otherwise I would expect some form of cliffhanger.

• Love 3

Well played, show! I love Bobby+Athena. I thought for sure Bobby+Abby was end-game. Are we sure Connie Britton is not coming back in S2?

Chim was great.

Sad for Buck.

Glad for Hen’s second chance. 

Angela Bassett is Godess of Everything!

• Love 3
Just now, vibeology said:
7 minutes ago, NutmegsDad said:

The song at the end of the episode.... I know I know it, but I can't place the title nor artist....

Shake it Out by Florence + The Machine

THANK YOU! I was ready to call 9-1-1 to remove the earworm.

• Love 2

I'm not sure Bobby is enough man for Athena, but I'm open. We'll see. The Hen/Karen reunion made me worried that Hen won't get much personal life story next season, though. Hope they come up with some drama since she's my favorite!

• Love 3

It's a shame they spoiled the best parts of the episode with the promo spots because we already knew about the motorcycle guy getting ripped in two and Abby taking off for parts unknown.

Hey, Motorcycle Guy who got ripped in two - if you go to the same doctor who worked on Chim, they can probably just sew you right up and you won't even have a scar. Woops, too late!

Its a shame Connie Britton only signed for one season,

Oh, I did not know that. Seems strange to base the show around a 911 operator and then write that central character off after one season. Are they going to have a new 911 operator next season? Will she hook up with Buck too? Stay tuned.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

Oh, I did not know that. Seems strange to base the show around a 911 operator and then write that central character off after one season. Are they going to have a new 911 operator next season? Will she hook up with Buck too? Stay tuned.

You know, they promoted this show as more central to the 9-1-1 call centre, but then the entire show has been revolved around the firefighters. I'm hoping next season, they actually pull some focus toward the call centre. That's more unique than seeing firefighters or a rogue cop. 

• Love 7

Wow narcolepsy guy is a real jerk.  So others around him are stressed out due to his "death" and in this case hurt because he gets a thrill out of coming back?

Edited by itsjustme
  • Love 9

I chuckled at the very end with the fake out 911 call:

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Are you coming back for a second season?"

Clever, show, clever.

That was funny.  And the caller started off by saying, 'I'm freaking out.'

Guy in the beginning was the annoying MJ lookalike from Nip/Tuck.

Thanks for identifying him for me.  I was getting ready to check imdb.com for him.

I didn't realize that Connie Britton was only contracted for one season.  I figured that by the time we started up new episodes time had passed and she would be coming back (probably to a Buck who had moved on).

• Love 2

I wish it was Buck who got on the plane...and never came back!

Hen's storyline was very anticlimatic!

The gross factor was high this episode! Between the guy split in half and the bloated guys insides leaking out, the tapeworm seemed pretty tame.  Thinking of the tapeworm, the "British" lady had the exact same bathroom as the tapeworm couple.

Dayum!!  Athena looked GORGEOUS in that dress!! I like her and Bobby together!

• Love 4

Angela Bassett's body in that dress is workout goals for real!

I hope Connie comes back as recurring character. Her character isn't really that interesting to keep her as series regular IMO. I'm all about Athena/Bobby for Season 2. I don't really care about Abby/Buck and if Buck has to go back to playing the field, so be it.

• Love 4

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode, warts and all. Loved decomp-guy, but their hazmat suits would most certainly not have been white when they got him out, especially after he sprung a leak...and there ain't no way in hell they're not pukin' all over themselves in that trailer wearing just the dust masks they started off with. And likewise, if it was that bad, there wouldn't be a crowd surrounding the trailer.

Half man, I couldn't sit through. Had to hit the zapper. I guess I mis-spoke a few weeks back when I said how high voltage is a Hard Stop for me. Well it is, but I forgot about stories like this, although usually it's a crushed or twisted lower half under a platform in the subway. Happens real-world, and it's something that gives me utter effing nightmares. I can handle a lot, but that....

So, we got through 10 episodes of a show centered around a fire station and they didn't actually put out a single fire. Yay?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I wish it was Buck who got on the plane...and never came back!

I love Buck.  I felt for him. His character has shown steady growth and I think he is the naturally most kind and sensitive of the group. I suspect that he is easily influenced and prior to his experiences at the firehouse perhaps was influenced by lesser people... such as his roommates.   I hope he doesn't slide back into immaturity.  But I am glad he and Abby broke up. Truly that wasn't a good relationship match and Buck needs to find someone around his own age.  Both helped each other and should remain good friends.  It was kind of Buck to feel so badly about the dead guy.  Things really get to him. 

I didn't like the Bobby / Athena development only because, as noted above, I don't think he is a good match for her.  He seems like a weak man and she is weak. Perhaps that is a good compliment but if I was Athena I would run. 

I really don't have a problem with the same crews working with each other. My city has tons of 'neighborhoods" and typically first responders tend to work those same neighborhoods -- so it would seem that LA might have similar sections of towns that the workers might cover -- starting with Abby. But, I am happy to add a few more people. 

The husband of the stroke victim was Matt McNamara on Nip / Tuck.

• Love 3
On 3/21/2018 at 10:42 PM, RogerDodger said:

Its a shame Connie Britton only signed for one season, because I really came to enjoy the Abby/Buck pairing.

Oh, I didn't know this. I guess that is why we had this ending - so the show can negotiate w/her to stay/not stay - and that will decide whether Abby returns or not.

Athena and Bobby? I am usually pretty good at seeing what's coming, but this time, I didn't see it until they were at the church together and then I started saying to the better half, 'Oh, they're gonna put Bobby and Athena together!" I like it! With both of them having so much baggage, that will make for at least another whole season of story lines! But I do hope Connie Britton comes back. Maybe she just wasn't "all-in" when she signed for one year and now that she sees it will be a hit, she'll resign. 

Also, I did not realize this was a Ryan Murphy show. No wonder all the over the top gore - American Horror Story guy - and I love AHS too - or at least most of it.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, RogerDodger said:

Its a shame Connie Britton only signed for one season, because I really came to enjoy the Abby/Buck pairing.

I didn't know, either.  I thought Abby would come back from Europe with a sophisticated haircut and new glasses to match her fresh confidence.

I would have been happy to eliminate de-bloating the dead guy to spend more time hearing about EITHER paralytic narcolepsy OR the brain pressure case.   Wait, so every time the narcoleptic revives, he's an entirely different person?  Let's explore that a little more.  Someone can present pre-stroke by fluency in an unknown second language?  Who knew? 

The bleeding father saying goodbye to his son was poignant, but the comment above that he needed Chim's surgeon gave me chortles.  "Oops, too late."  LOL

Hen and Bobby and Athena made a nice season ender--but all too tidy to last long for Season Two.

This was my favorite new show.  Connie needs to re-up.

• Love 6

I think it would be a lot easier to like Buck now if the writers didn't make him so revolting at the beginning of the season.

It is pretty idiotic that the only thing narcolepsy guy fears is being buried alive.  Does he really believe he will survive being embalmed?

• Love 3

I know this is a nitpick, but the one thing that annoyed me is, once again, the nosiness of the crew.  When Chimney snatched Bobby's laptop from him, I was hoping that Bobby would clock him.  I know it was supposed to be funny, but invading someone's privacy is not funny and I wish they'd stop that.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It's a shame they spoiled the best parts of the episode with the promo spots because we already knew about the motorcycle guy getting ripped in two and Abby taking off for parts unknown.

The station this airs on locally has refused to contract with the new cable company - so all that airs on that channel is a whiny message from the cable company about how mean and unreasonable they are. Anyway, I guess that's fortunate, because I missed the promos and watched this on my soon to expire free Hulu.

10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I hope Connie comes back as recurring character. Her character isn't really that interesting to keep her as series regular IMO. I'm all about Athena/Bobby for Season 2. I don't really care about Abby/Buck and if Buck has to go back to playing the field, so be it.

Maybe she'll come back interesting. Cause though I love Connie, this character has been fairly dull.

10 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode, warts and all. Loved decomp-guy, but their hazmat suits would most certainly not have been white when they got him out, especially after he sprung a leak...and there ain't no way in hell they're not pukin' all over themselves in that trailer wearing just the dust masks they started off with. And likewise, if it was that bad, there wouldn't be a crowd surrounding the trailer.

Half man, I couldn't sit through. Had to hit the zapper. I guess I mis-spoke a few weeks back when I said how high voltage is a Hard Stop for me. Well it is, but I forgot about stories like this, although usually it's a crushed or twisted lower half under a platform in the subway. Happens real-world, and it's something that gives me utter effing nightmares. I can handle a lot, but that....

So, we got through 10 episodes of a show centered around a fire station and they didn't actually put out a single fire. Yay?

I was exactly the opposite. I could not watch the screen during the decomp guy (even muted the tv), but half-man I was okay with.

I knew right away that the "British" wife at the beginning wasn't British - there was a story going around the internet about a real life case. I never read the details, but the accent bit stuck with me.

I have never been much of a fan of Buck, or the actor who plays him, but I thought he did a great job in this episode. Buck struggling to say the right, supportive, thing was nicely done, and made me like him, while I've always been meh at best.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I know this is a nitpick, but the one thing that annoyed me is, once again, the nosiness of the crew.  

My nitpick was that they never could have found decomp-guy via the e-mail and IP address. The IP address doesn't give you the exact location just the location of the service provider's internet portal and, if the person is using their phone or some other device, it registers in a remote location.  So I might be in New Jersey but "t mobile"  tower is listed in Penn. or something.  Not that I have ever tried to find someone with an e-mail header and IP address...  but just saying. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I know this is a nitpick, but the one thing that annoyed me is, once again, the nosiness of the crew.  When Chimney snatched Bobby's laptop from him, I was hoping that Bobby would clock him.  I know it was supposed to be funny, but invading someone's privacy is not funny and I wish they'd stop that.

You've obviously never been around a brotherhood career like this. It's expected behaviour. Ballbusting and getting in your business is a good thing, and is considered the ultimate sign of respect. Tell someone you don't like broccoli and guess what you get for every meal from now 'til doomsday. Suggest to the friend in a different house, on a different shift, that you're hot for someone in the department or a related agency and the entire known (and unknown) universe will know within about 4.8 picoseconds, and boy will you hear about it. There are no secrets, no unknowns, when the guy bustin' your chops over broccoli is suddenly the guy who's gotta have your back (or you have his) when the fecal matter strikes the rotary oscillator. You see the same stuff on Deadliest Catch and similar shows.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

You've obviously never been around a brotherhood career like this.

Yes, obviously.  I'm assuming you're around people like that, and that might be the way it is where you work, but I'll wager that there are some people who do not like all their business put out there on blast.  Plus, you don't know how it is in every firehouse.

• Love 2

Wow narcolepsy guy is a real jerk.  So others around him are stressed out due to his "death" and in this case hurt because he gets a thrill out of coming back?

Agreed - not only is he a selfish jerk but he's an idiot too. I don't care what kind of thrill he gets out of this near-death experience. If this is the third or fourth time he's woken up on a slab in the morgue his luck is eventually going to run out. Not only will he suffer a horrifying death he'll also give some unlucky coroner a heart attack.

I hope Connie comes back as recurring character. Her character isn't really that interesting to keep her as series regular IMO.

I agree her character wasn't all that interesting. But the thing that was supposed to differentiate this show from the glut of other police and fire procedurals was the perspective of a 911 operator. Without her it's just any other cop show or fire fighter show. Maybe if she doesn't come back they can replace her with another operator who's more interesting.

• Love 10

Yeah, I don't know. I thought Karen took Denny with her when she left. I don't know/remember where they went. Did Karen adopt Denny? Because I'm wondering why Karen took Hen's child that Hen had with her ex, who gave birth to the child. Wouldn't Denny stay with Hen? Presumably Hen would have adopted Denny or have custody when the ex went to jail. I don't remember if anything was said about that other than the ex wanted to get Denny back. I'm confused.

Edited by bilgistic

Did not predict Athena/Bobby until the very end, and I realize we hadn't seen her in the ending montage.  Not sure what to make of it and I have doubts it will last, but it is nice to see them both trying to move on with their lives.  Plus, Angela Bassett in that dress!  Just one of the many reasons I envy Courtney B. Vance (along with he himself being a pretty awesome actor.)

Not surprised Abby/Buck ended, although I was unaware that Connie Britton was only signed up for one season.  I had assume next season would have some kind of time jump with her return, but I guess this is a way for her to be gone for good, if she doesn't want to continue.  I'm curious about the rest.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rockmond Dunbar will no longer be a regular, because it already feels like they don't know what to do with him anymore.

Surprised how Buck's catfish story ending, because I thought for sure it was going to end up being someone he legit wronged in the past.  But it was just some random dude. At least Abby believed him at the very end.  And, of course, Chimney seemed to be hitting on one of the "victims" at the very end.  Classic Chimney, I guess.

The guy getting cut in half was brutal, but the narcolepsy guy was insane.  Reminded me of some movie (can't remember the name) where Hayden Christensen was still awake during his surgery, but couldn't move.

Hen and Karen have reunited.  Don't fuck this up, Hen!

Overall, this was a pretty fun, if extremely preposterous season.  But as long as this talented cast keeps bringing it, this show will continue to work for me. 

• Love 1

I have to say, I had seriously thought about drop-kicking this show because I just thought it was preposterous, but the last few episodes kept me coming back.  If Abby does come back, I hope she's gotten those ends trimmed and some new glasses.  

• Love 3

We are done with this show.  It is so revolting.  I don't know how someone can sit through watching tapeworms, etc.   We turned the show off when they started dealing with the body in the trailer.  That was toooo much.  I have removed the show from the PVR, no more for us.  It is too disgusting and the characters are not likeable at all.  Who kills that many people and then becomes the hero?  No, done.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2018 at 7:45 AM, gaucho91 said:

It is pretty idiotic that the only thing narcolepsy guy fears is being buried alive.  Does he really believe he will survive being embalmed?

Heck, he almost didn't make it through the autopsy!  Plus, he nearly killed the coroner even without a heart attack.

21 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I thought they said he was with Karen's mom.

Karen wanted to give Hen a chance but wasn't going to bring Denny home if she was going to have to leave again.

• Love 1