Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: The Longest Labor

• Start Topic

Can Kody just completely wash his hands of Meri and be done with the relationship?  Can Meri call it quits and start looking for a new Sam (or cruise the produce section in search of the perfect banana)?  I'm honestly wondering what is the dill?  I think it would be best for all of them if they just actually say it's over and let the wives and kids figure out if they want to continue a relationship.  They say they have a spiritual marriage, can they get a spiritual divorce?  They all really need to move on.  I also think if they went this route, it would give the show an interesting story to see how they can navigate the whole situation.

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, Ravenna said:

Really? I don't get deep thinker when it comes to Janelle. She's comes across rather simple-minded, bland, and slug-like. She's my least favourite housewife because she contributes so little to the mix. Meri is a pain in da butt, but at least she has a pulse, plus I'm mesmerized by those painted on brows. Robyn is meh. She worked the womb, and pretended to be sweet with Meri until she became head wife numero uno. It takes some stealth manipulative moves to do that. And Christine is probably the most fun, and likeable wife even tho she is dumber than a box of rocks. I'd still like to hang with her because she'd be entertaining and get everyone laughing. 

Over the course of the show, Janelle has expressed intellectual curiosity about different subjects, most recently the women's march that she and Meri attended with Mariah and her friends. Mariah specifically asked Janelle because she thought Janelle would find it interesting. 

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I certainly don’t think she is flawless or without blame. But at least she urges therapy, which the others are disdainful of. She definitely could use some insight and own her part in this mess. But I can still understand how she got this way.

I have a suspicion that Meri urges therapy because Nancy doesn't call her out on her role in the issues.  Then...there is a third person there to "protect" her from when everyone is "mean" to her.  I see Nancy as more of a mediator.  She sits, listens, doodles, and occasionally directs the conversations.  Nothing meaningful has ever happened.  It seems like her office is just a place for them to bring up topics with another person there to possibly keep things fair between them.  Like the person who runs a debate who asks questions of topic and keeps the conversation on the subject and gives equal response time. 

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

It seems like her office is just a place for them to bring up topics with another person there to possibly keep things fair between them. 

It seems like her office is just a place for them to follow the story line that will keep them on the air.

• Love 10

If someone could refresh my memory...Don't they still own their family home in Utah? You know, the one that they did a midnight run and headed for Vegas because they thought the polygamy police was after them? I recall from past episodes that it was being renting it out. In that case, Kody the Klown is freakin over nothing.  He just likes to scrunch up his cave man brow, and be macho, and say he's a felon. 

Also, does anybody know what they paid for the Parowan house? 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

And I get the exact opposite from her.  I think she is desperate to win him back.  The whole catfish debaucle was interesting - she was prepared to run away and live in splendor with her handsome millionaire boyfriend, until she figured out that she could play the victim of a mean ol' catfisher.  She never properly apologized (except to paint trees for her sister-wives, which was yet another passive way to appease Kody - by being nice to the wives that he still has relationships with) but I absolutely think she was waiting for Kody to bring her back into the fold, forgive her, and give her some special Kody-time as they repaired their relationship.  The whole stupid B&B thing is just another way of her throwing a passive-aggressive tantrum to get Kody's attention.

She is like a child who misbehaves in order to get their parent's attention.  It might be negative attention, but it's better than none at all.  I think that most of the things she does are calculated to get Kody's attention, except it seems that Kody might finally be over her.

I agree that Meri is still trying to win Kody's love and attention. 

If Meri would just stop playing the victim and OWN UP to her mistakes, I think that would go a long way towards repairing her relationships with the family. Maybe she has and we haven't seen it, but I can only go by what we've been shown and told. Just come right out and say to Janelle "I'm sorry I was such a raging bytch to you in the beginning of our relationship. I was young and stupid and had no idea how to act as a first wife." "Kody, I am hurt and lonely. The divorce was extremely painful for me. I looked for love and validation somewhere else, and that was wrong. I'm embarassed and ashamed, but I still love you and want to rebuild our life together, and our life with the family."

I could go on and on. But Kody and the others also have to be honest as well.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Ravenna said:

Someone found the info and posted it here but it's too far back to go looking.  As I recall it was something like 470,000?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Kyanight said:

Someone found the info and posted it here but it's too far back to go looking.  As I recall it was something like 470,000?

And they paid for it by Meri's mom selling her house?  That's a lot of money.  If there's a mortgage, who is paying it?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I have a suspicion that Meri urges therapy because Nancy doesn't call her out on her role in the issues.  Then...there is a third person there to "protect" her from when everyone is "mean" to her.  I see Nancy as more of a mediator.  She sits, listens, doodles, and occasionally directs the conversations.  Nothing meaningful has ever happened.  It seems like her office is just a place for them to bring up topics with another person there to possibly keep things fair between them.  Like the person who runs a debate who asks questions of topic and keeps the conversation on the subject and gives equal response time. 

Could be. We only see about 10 minutes of what is presumably a 50-minute session. 

24 minutes ago, Normades said:

Can Meri call it quits and start looking for a new Sam (or cruise the produce section in search of the perfect banana)?  

*snorts* I'm glad I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read that. 

• Love 2

It seems to me that Kody is definitely over Meri and that old relationship.  I mean....he's done.  And, I suspect that Meri is too, only, her income is tied up in their tv show. I'm not sure how that works.  Kody has said he doesn't want to put their religion front and center, so, I can't see them airing how you get a celestial marriage dissolution.  It would be sad, watching Meri pack up her belongings, clear out the WET BAR, and pull away from the cul de sac in her uhaul, but, what else could they do?  Feature her running her B&B in Utah?  I wonder what they'll put together.  I can't see Kody taking on another wife to replace Meri.  Actually, it may be that Meri leaving would make the remaining family units stronger.  Sometimes toxic energy just pulls you down. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I have a suspicion that Meri urges therapy because Nancy doesn't call her out on her role in the issues. 

I completely agree.  I also don't think Meri really loves Kody as much as she wants Kody.  I believe she wants him because the others want him.  She's a petty child.  I really believe if the other wives had no interest in Kody, Meri would walk away too.  She wants to have the bestest, shiniest toy on the block.  That's part of why she wanted the hunky millionaire, so she could rub it in everyone's face that she had something better.  

It really irks me that she's so concerned with getting her own way while they have children in that family who might need surgery, college education, weddings, etc.  It's just disgusting!  I also believe that once she has that B&B, there will be drama and it will be poor little Meri all over again.  Nothing will fill her black hole of need.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

I'm with you on having sympathy for Meri.  But I don't believe for a minute that she desperately loves Kody.  I think she is over him.

I like them both.

I think Meri misses sex and wants to get laid. And despite Kody pontificating about how they won't cohabitate during the road trip she was hoping to change his mind. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Normades said:

They say they have a spiritual marriage, can they get a spiritual divorce?

I know regular Mormons who were sealed in the Temple can be unsealed (though I don't know under what circumstances).  Presumably, Meri and Kody can too.  It would be best for all involved.  

• Love 4

What was the advice of the therapist before Kody and Meri went on that trip to Utah?  Was it for Kody to have some compassion, empathy,.......?  Was that code for let the girl get laid? lol 

Anyone else getting snow now! lo

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Am I the only one that was hoping Baby Axel was going to enter the world singing 'Welcome to the Jungle' and tryin' to out hair flip Gramps Kody?

(sorry, I used to be a big Guns n' Roses fan)

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.28.05 PM.png

Edited by Ravenna
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, purpleyoshi said:

I remember my friend telling me, “No one gets a medal for best birth.” Why would you torture yourself like that? I felt so bad for her. And I would’ve been pissed if my midwife knew I was having contractions and was an hour away. It ended up being ok, but sometimes things go very quick at the end.

My dad freaked out if I nursed in front of him, he would not be anywhere near the room it was happening in.

Not to start a debate, but, I've heard multiple doctors say there are 2 ways to have a baby....one in pain, one without pain.  It's your choice. I know that each mother has her own set of concerns, but, I think some people just like that kind of drama. Perhaps, some of it is cultural. 

• Love 6

1.  I have no idea how Madison endured that entire birth process with no less than 8 people watching her at any one time.  (When the folding chairs were requested, I about died!)  Add to that a freakin'  television CAMERA was involved for most of it.

2.  Christine is LOVING where she and Kody stand, in their marriage, right now.  She's been longing for this for years!  When she kissed him, more than once, and told him how "cute" he was, as he left her house, my eyes rolled out of my head.  Good for her, I guess.  Their relationship has come a very long way in the last couple of years!

3.  Victoria is one helluva real estate agent/salesperson.  She had Meri on the hook and wasn't going to let her wiggle off no.matter.what.  My guess is Meri is the only person who would ever be sincerely interested in purchasing that B&B and V knew it.  Hell, Ol' Vicky used every sales trick in the book to land that sale.  Got to give her credit.

4.  Meri is so happy to be on speaking terms with Mariah that she wasn't even thinking straight on the evening Madison gave birth.  In her mind, it was all about Mariah coming home for the weekend.  THAT visit was her focus and she lost sight of what was right in front of her.  I'm disappointed in Mariah, as well.  She, too, handled the situation poorly.

5.  I despise the name Axel.  True, Madison didn't ask my opinion and it's absolutely none of my business but this is the forum for us to say what we feel so...I am.  Axel Brush?  I mean, really????

Edited by tinderbox
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Ravenna said:

If someone could refresh my memory...Don't they still own their family home in Utah? You know, the one that they did a midnight run and headed for Vegas because they thought the polygamy police was after them? I recall from past episodes that it was being renting it out. In that case, Kody the Klown is freakin over nothing.  He just likes to scrunch up his cave man brow, and be macho, and say he's a felon. 

I'm not sure about that property.  They still owned it back when Mariah was first attending college in Utah.  I recall she and Meri met there for a visit.  It seemed like they were renting it to family or friends at that time. 

And I don't get why Kody keeps saying that Utah can take their real property if they are charged with a felony of committing polygamy.  Maybe, there's some special language in the statute, but, I've never heard of the state taking your  land without fair compensation, just because you are convicted of a crime.  There are exceptions, like tax evasion, but, most of the time, a criminal conviction does not require you to forfeit your real property.  Other exceptions include selling drugs out of your home or car. State might be able to attach your home or car in those circumstances.  Maybe, I'm missing something, but, I wonder if he was saying that as an excuse to not buy the B&B. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

The Lehi house was sold a year or so ago - a short sale if memory serves. 

I believe you are correct.  It was being rented by a relative as I recall;  wasn't that when Meri made a trip down memory lane and visited there?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

A normal couple might have realized ages ago that they are ill-suited but this is all dressed up in Kody’s being the key to eternal life for Meri.

If Meri really is staying because Kody is her ticket to heaven, then why not get unsealed from Kody and find herself a nice, older plyg guy that gives her those sweet banana feels and who doesn't care that she can't have his spiritual babies, and seal to him? No one said she has to leave Kody for a guy of another religion and she has to give up a spot on a wing-nut planet. Hell, Robyn did it, why not Meri?

The Lehi house sold last year, but the family owned it while living in Nevada. No squealing about the State of Utah seizing it during the past 7 years.

Meri's mortgage is $375,000. Can't remember the purchase price for the B&B, which included the furnishings. It's all a rip off, no matter how you slice it. 

• Love 13
18 hours ago, kicotan said:

Oh wow.  I'm sorry, I guess I should have qualified my question then - I had three without any epidurals.  I imagine it would be easier to sleep if you don't feel it.

revised question:

those of you, like Maddie, who have not been given an epidural, could you choose to sleep through labor?

not an ice cubes chance could i sleep through it. (4 times, btw)

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

I think they should name the next kid Fuller.

Took me a minute...LOLZ. :)

I wonder if, once the show goes off the air, that's when Meri bails.  Of course she needs the TLC paycheck, but I'm thinking that she's sticking around because if she leaves and the show continues on without her, she'd be forced to watch as the family becomes lighter and happier and more cohesive because she's gone.  So even though she's miserable, she's gonna stick it out as long as new episodes air.  She was the first wifey and by gosh, she's not going anywhere - until the Browns become just another no-name family, and then she's gone.

• Love 9

I bet Vickie is in the wind. She unloaded that place on Meri and probably laughed all the way to the bank.

Like another poster said, I don't get this supposed idea of why plugs families don't go to the hospital. We all know they have no $ or insurance of course but the nonsense about the father's name being on the paperwork. Huh ? 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Parowan has just about 3,000 people.  They are mostly Mormon.  Their first choice for a wedding would be a temple.  The nearest temple is in St. George, about an hour's drive away.  

I'm thinking they're more likely to get people who watch the show than they are to get locals for weddings.  And locals wouldn't need hotel rooms anyway.

#anotherpoorbrownbusinessidea

I have a friend (not Mormon) who lives in the middle of nowhere in Utah.  She rents out a barn on her property for weddings, and most of the couples are Mormons.  During wedding season she is fully booked.  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, kicotan said:

Ok, show of hands, who here has chosen to go get some sleep while you are in labor?

Mine were never long enough to warrant a nap.

My son was born in 9 hours; my daughter in 3 (and nearly in the car) and my second son in 12.  I have no dog in this hunt from personal experience, and I get about the early labor, but still no one should be in hard labor for 24 hours and Maddie was.

ETA:  No epidurals, either.

Now, my daughter, on the other hand, had four children.  She tried going without for the first one, but threw in the towel - it hadn't been excessively long, but she didn't want to wait until it was too late.  The other three, she did the epidural as soon as it was reasonable.  For none of her deliveries did she go more than eight hours or so.

Edited by b2H
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

If an experienced grandpa is in there filling that role with confidence...I think it ruins an opportunity and special moment for husband and wife.

Her husband even said sometime in the run-up to the delivery that he wasn't a polygamist, he wouldn't be a polygamist and if he'd known this wasn't going to be just the two of them, he wouldn't have moved there.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Last year Rebekah and family moved to the cave houses. I'm guessing they live a polygamy lifestyle too, but not sure. 

what the heck is a cave house?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ravenna said:

Am I the only one that was hoping Baby Axel was going to enter the world singing 'Welcome to the Jungle' and tryin' to out hair flip Gramps Kody?

(sorry, I used to be a big Guns n' Roses fan)

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.28.05 PM.png

Hahaha! Welcome to the Jungle is a kick-ass tune.

When I hear that name now I think of the son Axl on The Middle.  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, b2H said:

Her husband even said sometime in the run-up to the delivery that he wasn't a polygamist, he wouldn't be a polygamist and if he'd known this wasn't going to be just the two of them, he wouldn't have moved there.

Wait, what? I missed that on my first viewing, I will have to look for it when I watch again with the Mr.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I know regular Mormons who were sealed in the Temple can be unsealed (though I don't know under what circumstances).  Presumably, Meri and Kody can too.  It would be best for all involved.  

One of my daughter's friends from college became a military wife and then the couple and their children joined the Mormon church (a lot more military families in that church than I knew).  Anyway, end of last year, the couple split up after about 10 years of marriage and a couple of years in the LDS.  I've wanted to ask her how that's going to work for her.  The break up took place when he got relocated to a base in Louisiana.  She left, took the kids and is living and working in Virginia.  That's about all I know, but it's left me wondering about what's happened. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, zoomama said:

Mormon cave houses......I first saw it here. Their houses are built next to huge rock caves. Have you checked out TLC's new show Three Wives One Husband? (I know, I rolled my eyes at first too.) They live in cave houses.  Pretty interesting, if you get the chance. They actually explain the religious aspect of polygamy, which the Browns don't do.  Very informative. I've wondered some things for years and they actually address it. 

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/three-wives-one-husband/videos/too-many-wives

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, zoomama said:
7 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Last year Rebekah and family moved to the cave houses. I'm guessing they live a polygamy lifestyle too, but not sure. 

They took dynamite and blew holes into large sheets of rock in the Utah desert and built houses backed up into the holes of the rock (I think).  So "Cave" houses.

• Love 4

I thought the magical B&B was creepy and totally lacking in charm. I kept looking at the outside shots of the house and thinking about what could be done to make it inviting. First paint the front door a nice color, add some shutters to the windows, put some rocking chairs out there on the porch so guests can sit out there, add some hanging plants. Also, that back porch where they were sitting talking "business" looked like shit.  As far as the interior, get rid of the crappy old carpet and put in some hardwood floors and new bedding. It looks dirty in there. Looks like Miss Victoria has not bothered to do a thing to that house in years. Good luck with your ugly new place, Meri. I hope she has some money left over for improvements. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 17

The trouble with Meri's B&B is that once guests leave, they'd never return.  I'd be annoyed at that little narrow staircase.  and the low beams in the doorway...just all kinds of uninviting.  Those are the things that would make the place NOT well suited for a B&B.  Makes me wonder if the B&B was even real.  Sounds like a way to inflate the price of the place.  

I guess it was real. I just saw its listing as Victoria's B&B. I guess I'm wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/Victorias-Bed-and-Breakfast-125108727555761/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

It seems like her office is just a place for them to follow the story line that will keep them on the air.

. . . and an opportunity to cram in another chapter of the audio book during the long, bitter, silent car ride when they travel together to see Nancy in order to determine Martyr of the Week.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

It's hard to forgive and move on when said person won't accept responsibility. To this day, Meri still acts like she was some naive twit who fell prey to the evil machinations of some internet genius. Yea, she was duped. But she was a whole lot more involved than she ever lets on. If she can't own it, I wouldn't have any interest in trying to get close to her again. 

If I could "heart" this a thousand times, I would!!!!

Meri's had her chance and she avoids accepting her part in it. He wasn't real but she thought he was, despite warnings early on.  She was ready to bail, left numerous voicemails and sent banana/bath photos. She was infatuated and likely in love. 

I just wish she'd own it, really feel like shit and try to earn her way back (versus deflect it--which is all she's ever done).  The longer she waits for it to go away, the more it'll be brought up on here to remind everyone she's no "victim". 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 13

All I've seen of this episode is the preview with Maddie screaming and people hovering around a giant bathtub.  

It made me think of my late mom who could out-snark anyone on the planet, but no way would she ever watch a woman giving birth.  Not because she was a prude but of the mind that women have been giving birth since there have been women.  It's nothing special.  And she'd dislike all these people as much as I do.  Lol she refused to watch the show.  

Miss you mommy and your snark!  

Edited by Otter
  • Love 13
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The trouble with Meri's B&B is that once guests leave, they'd never return.  I'd be annoyed at that little narrow staircase.  and the low beams in the doorway...just all kinds of uninviting.  Those are the things that would make the place NOT well suited for a B&B.  Makes me wonder if the B&B was even real.  Sounds like a way to inflate the price of the place.  

I guess it was real. I just saw its listing as Victoria's B&B. I guess I'm wrong.

Maybe it’s just me but it would bug me to have the proprietor living in the next room while I was trying to relax at a B&B. I hope Bonnie is living in the shed. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They had ONE review?  That's it?  Doesn't sound exactly busy, does it?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

I think they should name the next kid Fuller.

I'm old enough to remember the Fuller Brush man.  He had mini-packs of LifeSavers that I was only too happy to snarf up.

If I had had to go through what Maddie did, I would think twice about having another baby any time soon.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, xwordfanatik said:

If I had had to go through what Maddie did, I would think twice about having another baby any time soon.

No kidding!  But nature is kind... and it dims our memory somewhat when we look at our sweet little baby and like a potato chip... we want another one!  I think she'll have another one within 2 years.

• Love 4
On 3/11/2018 at 8:49 PM, LucyEth said:

Wonder how they worked out the house business.  The do own the place and it is a B&B. Guess Meri's mom is out of the picture.

It would have been a better storyline if the ga wasn't so much and we knew that a) Meri's mom helped buy the place so no need for the fake asking the rest of the family for the money and b) she was always going to have the intention of running it as a b&b so no fake storyline needed for just keeping it in the family.

23 hours ago, answerphone said:

P.S. The home looks like it's in a run down, unappealing area. After the fame of being on a TV series is over, I doubt many would be interested in spending their vacation time there.

I wonder how many tripadvisor reviews and yelp reviews have they had?  

20 hours ago, WaterSpirit said:

It's her Dream, and she feels nothing but happiness and joy about the house, because acquisition and flattery are her Drugs of Choice. Love how she gets a little flattery from Victoria "she was waiting for someone special to buy the house." Meri is such an easy mark. (nice touch to find family pictures to seal the deal on the selling of the way overpriced B & B)

Victoria proved to be very smart.  If someone even offered more money for that dump she would have sold it to them in a heart beat and "screw the someone special".  I wonder how long Victoria had it on the market for? 

If Meri was smart she would have found some B&B somewhere more busier and opened up a business there so she can earn a living and leave the family.

• Love 6