Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2018

GaT
  • Start Topic

I didn't mind Martha's actual judging but I thought it was a mis-step for the producers to put so many of the explaining lines on her ("the special thing about wagyu beef..." etc). Made her seem like she was condescending to the other two judges, who happen to be actual chefs. I don't think that was on her, though, I think it was the writers and the fact that they wanted to feature her in her first episode.

• Love 9

And what da fuque was up with Martha and Zakarian eating with chopsticks?  Of all the pretentious shiz.  All the better to taste...what?  The same thing Chris tasted with his fork?

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

And what da fuque was up with Martha and Zakarian eating with chopsticks?  Of all the pretentious shiz.  All the better to taste...what?  The same thing Chris tasted with his fork?

That's right, I meant to mention that. Who eats risotto with chopsticks?

• Love 5
On 6/5/2018 at 8:17 PM, mlp said:

In the show with the pastry chefs, Alex seemed to go out of her way to be nastily critical and somewhat hypocritical too.  She made a fuss about the one woman not using the worms even though contestants have always been allowed to use a portion of a mystery basket ingredient.  

I agree that Alex was pretty bitchy, which surprised me because she has for the most part toned it down the last several years, but I distinctly remember the judges reaming out a cheftestant who only used the macaroni in a box of mac and cheese and tossed the cheese powder.  But then they're always consistently inconsistent in their judging, so I'm sure there were other times they let such a violation go.

What's Martha gonna do when they don't have luxury items to feed her?  Hell, I'm just surprised cheap-ass FN actually sprung for luxury ingredients, even just this once.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:35 AM, Wings said:

I like Alex, replace Aaron.  :)

I can't remember the last time Aarrrroooon judged.  Is he even on the roster any more?

On 6/1/2018 at 11:59 AM, mlp said:

I'm not a fan of Martha Stewart but she's a lot more qualified to be a judge than the TV personalities and sports figures they've had on from time to time. 

One of the positive attributes of Chopped, unlike many other food competition shows, is that they almost always use actual chefs as judges, with only a few small exceptions.

• Love 2

My attitude-softening over the past few years toward post-con La Martha changed somewhat after viewing her debut on Chopped.  While I'm sure she was coached to issue her pronoucements in hoity-toity condescending tones...hey Martha - you're from Nutley NJ.  Get over yourself.

I'm not impressed that her primary contribution was to comment on the dollar value of the basket ingredients.  Did you learn that in the slammer, Marty?

However I will continue to watch for sheer entertainment value.  Poor Ted.

• Love 5
On 6/10/2018 at 10:00 PM, cooksdelight said:

I want to see Martha judge an episode with gummy bears, something rotten smelling, the weirdest possible ingredients.

I'd like to see them do a leftover challenge with the stuff in my fridge where the only thing they can add is what's in my pantry.   Let Martha judge that episode.  I'm not going to enjoy her judging if they allow her to bring something from her garden or travels to each episode, which she introduces like it's the best thing since fire was discovered.  

• Love 2

I liked Martha till this show. Again thank God there was a buffer for her and Jeffrey this week it was Mark.

And do Martha and Jeffrey have to use chopsticks to eat everything? They're annoying.

• Love 2
On 6/1/2018 at 2:59 PM, mlp said:

I'm not a fan of Martha Stewart but she's a lot more qualified to be a judge than the TV personalities and sports figures they've had on from time to time.  Also, like her or not, she's accomplished and successful so I have to give her credit.  What always amazes me is how young she looks.  She's pushing 80 but I'd never guess that from just looking at her.

Really?! I had no idea she was near 80!!  Never would have guessed!

I enjoyed the bowl episode more than I have in a long time! Really enjoyed the contestants, and the ingredients. I wanted them all to win!  Mostly good looking food, too!

(edited)

Martha (and possibly Zakarian too) ate the ice cream with chopsticks.  Oh give me a break.

As for Aaron, he's on MasterChef, which is filmed in L.A., so it's unlikely we'll be seeing him on Chopped, which is filmed in N.Y., any time soon unless the filming schedules don't overlap.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 3

Dear Chopped,

As long as you're making changes to the show, may I suggest that herewith all native French-speaking contestants are automatically promoted through the dessert round so we can revel in their charming accents throughout the episode.  (Yuri!)

Also, I will cash in my 401k and reward any crewmember who cream pies Martha right in the kisser.

Your friend,

Spiderpig

• Love 8

Chopped Grill Masters Five-Part Tournament Premieres Tuesday, July 31st at 9:00PM ET/PT.

Grill Masters from Kansas City, Memphis, North Carolina, and Texas Compete for Grand Prize.  A rotating panel of Chopped and special guest judges include Moe Cason, Scott Conant, Melissa Cookston, Amanda Freitag, Alex Guarnaschelli, Elizabeth Karmel, Myron Mixon, Marc Murphy, Chris Santos, Ernest Servantes and Geoffrey Zakarian.  Each regional episode will include a hometown specialty in one of the baskets.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:43 AM, Zhopsik said:

I can't stand Martha Stewart's smug and conscending attitude and I will not watch any episode with her as a judge.  

MS - TOTAL BITCH!!!

Dear Chopped,

Get rid of J Zakarian (conceited a hole) and Alex (condescending. know-it-all b.) Bring back Aaron. He's the BEST!!!

Thank you.

Edited by sol y luna
  • Love 1

I just watched the doughnut episode and I liked both of the cheftestants in the final two. The guy who lost looked so crushed. I also liked that, with the exception of the first guy out who put his food in the fryer on top of the other chef's food, they all seemed to get along well together. I think the first guy (sorry, I never remember their names) out should have been called out for that behavior. 

One thing that is bugging me is that this is the second episode now where I have noticed the cheftestants referring to Martha Stewart as "chef." To my knowledge, Ms. Stewart has not earned that title. If she is known for anything, it is for publishing under-tested recipes that do not work as advertised. I guess they have trouble coming up with an appropriate honorific for her but "chef" isn't it.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

One thing that is bugging me is that this is the second episode now where I have noticed the cheftestants referring to Martha Stewart as "chef." To my knowledge, Ms. Stewart has not earned that title. If she is known for anything, it is for publishing under-tested recipes that do not work as advertised. I guess they have trouble coming up with an appropriate honorific for her but "chef" isn't it.

Maybe ex-con or felon doesn't exactly roll off the tongue./snark

I don't have a problem with Martha, prison seems to have mellowed her.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Maybe ex-con or felon doesn't exactly roll off the tongue./snark

I don't have a problem with Martha, prison seems to have mellowed her.

Hee!

To be clear, I agree prison and age have mellowed Martha and I don't have a problem with her, per se. It's the editing where all the other participants on the show are expected to gaze at her in reverence and awe that I object to. The editors need to dial it back a fair amount.

• Love 4

When I see Ted Allen, I automatically think Chopped.  Martha has been on what?  Three times?  No way does she represent the show.

The only commercial I've seen, over and over and over, is the one saying Martha's the new judge.  Why someone thought a young girl with a ghetto voice doing bad rap has anything to do with an elderly, white businesswoman is beyond me.  That commercial makes me nuts.

• Love 4
(edited)

Martha, sit the fuck down and if she was looking over my shoulder, I wouldn't be able to make my cake roll up either. Just sit over on your judge's seat and keep over there dick. And taste the shit,  not just put it in your lip and smack it. Then she was pushing around the food, why is she on this show, I just don't like her as a judge.

Edited by toodywoody
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, toodywoody said:

Martha, sit the fuck down and if she was looking over my shoulder, I wouldn't be able to make my cake roll up either. Just sit over on your judge's seat and keep over there dick. And taste the shit,  not just put it in your lip and smack it. Then she was pushing around the food, why is she on this show, I just don't like her as a judge.

Well, in her defense, she’s had so much plastic surgery of the face, it’s likely that the pursed lip smacking is the only way her food hole can function anymore. Dang, her resting bitch face always looks like it smells a poopoo diaper. 

Edited by Bethanne
  • Love 4

What is it with Martha and the chopsticks?  That looks sooooo pretentious.  At least Chris and Marc had the sense not to join her like Geoffrey did last week.  

I really hate it when any judge goes over to watch a chef.  I know the producers are trying to freshen up the show but it isn't BBF.  Those contestants are already pressed for time and stressed out.  It's almost mean to do that to them.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, mlp said:

What is it with Martha and the chopsticks?  That looks sooooo pretentious.  At least Chris and Marc had the sense not to join her like Geoffrey did last week.  

I really hate it when any judge goes over to watch a chef.  I know the producers are trying to freshen up the show but it isn't BBF.  Those contestants are already pressed for time and stressed out.  It's almost mean to do that to them.

A big yesssss re your point about the chopsticks.

And the way Mothra  Stewart loomed behind poor Paula, like a stalker or serial killer.  I would have been thinking about a really practical use for my rolling pin at that point.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Bethanne said:

Well, in her defense, she’s had so much plastic surgery of the face, it’s likely that the pursed lip smacking is the only way her food hole can function anymore. Dang, her resting bitch face always looks like it smells a poopoo diaper. 

I couldn't believe she did that. That is something a kid does when they don't want to TASTE something but to say they did. I don't know if I can handle her bullshit condescending talking, tight bitch face. 

• Love 1

They had to make twice as many dishes as are normally required, but were given the same amount of time in the entree and dessert rounds.  Feh.

What was with Marc's snarl about "I thought this was a small plates episode, not a Portuguese episode," when Paula explained the Portuguese roots of her dish?  How rude!  Isn't this the network where you are expected to wear your heritage on your sleeve and in your food?

I liked both of the chefs who got to the dessert round.  

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, stormy said:

And she talked about the nori as if she had grown it in her fish pond

She said something about going out on "my boat" & getting something that I thought was seaweed. I think she made the nori.

• Love 2

I could tolerate Martha Stewart if they were treating her like every other judge instead of pandering to her and even having her bring stuff for the baskets.  That plus her attitude plus the chopsticks is ruining the show.

• Love 8
(edited)
19 hours ago, mlp said:

I could tolerate Martha Stewart if they were treating her like every other judge instead of pandering to her and even having her bring stuff for the baskets.  That plus her attitude plus the chopsticks is ruining the show.

Exactly this. She's not a freaking demigod. Stop spending so much energy kissing her a$$, make her use a fork, and get back to the normal show.

Edited by jcbrown
corrected a wayward comma
  • Love 5

I watched the small plates episode last night and I'm not impressed with Martha as a judge.  She doesn't seem to have the camaraderie with the other judges and I find her pretentious and boring.  I won't be watching while she is judging. 

• Love 4

Lord, please spare us from yet another white male cheftestant who’s never actually been to an Asian country explaining “Asian” culture and food from the perspective of a dude who has an “Asian” fiancée. Oh - and he’s read some books.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Lord, please spare us from yet another white male cheftestant who’s never actually been to an Asian country explaining “Asian” culture and food from the perspective of a dude who has an “Asian” fiancée. Oh - and he’s read some books.

This times 100. I could not stand that guy.

• Love 2
(edited)

I’m actually enjoying this season!  Martha Stewart isn’t ruining it for me. I know it’s a Schtick like the rest of them have. This week’s Ep had likeable chefs and edible food. I’m so happy for the Greek guy that won. 

Martha- tantamount is not the same as paramount. 

And I don’t believe it’s vinegar-ette but I could be wrong....at least it wasn’t “marscapone “  

Oh, and ted’s new glasses!  I’m sad!  Don’t like them at all. I thought he looked great in the last couple pairs he had. 

Edited by awaken
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, awaken said:

at least it wasn’t “marscapone “  

That is probably my biggest cooking show peeve (well, when it comes to this show, it may just be a tie with the sob stories)!  The average person transposing the letters - mildly annoying.  A chef doing it - nails down a chalkboard level of annoyance.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That is probably my biggest cooking show peeve (well, when it comes to this show, it may just be a tie with the sob stories)!  The average person transposing the letters - mildly annoying.  A chef doing it - nails down a chalkboard level of annoyance.

Ditto. And "chi-pol-tay" instead of "chi-poht-lay." Re the sob stories, my husband and I call that "playing the dead (grandmother, mother, father, etc) card." 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, sol y luna said:

Martha Stewart - pretentious asshole.

I'm waiting for the next convicted felon cheftestant (we've had a few) to come on and say, "Hey, Martha, remember me from the joint?"

• Love 5

Things I learned from the most recent Chopped episode:

• Zach's fiancee is Asian
  • Martha fishes The Sound (in her boat, of course) for porgy, and also collects seaweed
  • Martha calls a sunchoke a Jerusalem artichoke
  • We should have tried the yak milk butter coffee Martha drank when she was in the Himalayas
  • Zach lost and the nice Greek man won.  Yay.

(BTW, the Chopped Obnoxious Bus has been away for an extended tour, but it's coming back to pick up Zach.)

• Love 9
4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Things I learned from the most recent Chopped episode:

• Martha fishes The Sound (in her boat, of course) for porgy, and also collects seaweed
  • Martha calls a sunchoke a Jerusalem artichoke
  • We should have tried the yak milk butter coffee Martha drank when she was in the Himalayas
  • Zach lost and the nice Greek man won.  Yay.

(BTW, the Chopped Obnoxious Bus has been away for an extended tour, but it's coming back to pick up Zach.)

You are correct about Zacharian. He is an OBNOXIOUS, egotistic a hole.

• Love 1

I hope it picks up Martha too while it's in the neighborhood.

• Love 4