Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: The Real Deal

• Start Topic

Fitz and Simmons are married, nothing bad happened at their wedding.  I was expecting something bad to happen, but they actually let it end on a happy note.  Way to go, writers.  You gave the fans what they wanted, without any interruptions.

And we've got confirmation that Deke is their grandson.

Great way to celebrate the 100th episode.  Coulson survived, nothing bad happened at the wedding, Mike and Davis returned, Yo-Yo is still chipper, the agents are still on the team's side, and the team isn't broken up.  Sometimes, you've just gotta give the fans something to be happy about, where it all works out.

Top 5 episode, no doubt.

• Love 21

Well then. That was certainly an interesting 100th episode. To be honest, the first half didn't feel like a milestone episode. I found myself a bit confused at the pacing for the first half. But once Coulson went to close the fear rift, everything started picking up.

Yeah, so anyone surprised by the major Deke reveal? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? I think everyone pretty much called it in his first or second episode. And when he was brought to his past but our present, I figured that the reveal had to be coming soon. Why else bring him aboard if he wasn't related to a team member? And with FitzSimmons being the only white couple, it was fairly obvious where that was going. Still, an actually decent reveal and now I'm curious to how Fitz and Jemma react to their grandson being Deke. 

Also, yeah, I guess FitzSimmons are really Fitzsimmons. I don't personally ship them and have always preferred them as friends, but the wedding was actually very sweet. It's a shame I was on edge the entire time with what could have possibly gone wrong (one of them being injured, this being a fear manifestation and the rift not being closed).

It was awesome to see J August Richards again. I liked Mike coming back to help. And I honestly thought more previous cast members would have returned as fear manifestations, so I was a bit disappointed they didn't utilize that aspect more.

I really did like Coulson's biggest fear scene. I actually thought it was quite believable and think it could have actually been a great way to end the series, rather than just as the 100th episode. It made total sense to me and if it was the series finale, I would have actually thought that the fear could have been real. Plus, how many times have we seen a similar scene in TV and films play out, where the main character really IS dreaming and in between life and death? 

Not enough Jemma, though, or Elena. I think they could have used the other main characters more than they did. However, a very strong second half of the episode. 

• Love 11

I am shocked. I am so happy they kept the wedding under wraps. I kinda thought wedding when Coulson made the comment about symbol of hope, but I thought the shipper moment would be Coulson-May.

I teared up a lot in this episode. Coulson finally admitting he’s dying. Fake!Mike telling Coulson he was dying on the table (they had me going for a moment). And then the wedding. Oh that wedding.

And the icing on the cake? Deke being a FITZSIMMONS! Ha! I KNEW it. I was so hoping for a child in the lighthouse, and Im thrilled to be be right. Totally an earned moment. He picked out Jemma’s ring bc it looked like his Grandmother’s ring. Although sad, FitzSimmons must have died before he could remember them. And they have a DAUGHTER!!! Love it!

Who was the guy with the scar? Was he was from Season One? Also, I call foul on Bobbi and Hunter not being there. Where the hell is Hunter? Isnt he in the lighthouse? When in time did they return? Isnt he and Enoch with Robin and her mother in there somewhere??

Otherwise, perfect episode. One of my favorites for sure.

• Love 9

I'm still not sure what the point of the early scene between Deke and Daisy was, besides reminding me that there's really no reason for Deke to be there or the show to handwave what he did.

Seeing Mike again was nice. He was used much more effectively this time than he was in season two, where he was quickly put out of commission.

Coulson's "fear" does seem to touch on Joss Whedon's comments about the film MCU ignoring AoS and how Coulson is "dead" as far as the films are concerned.

• Love 8
Just now, Jediknight said:

Davis, he was the one who flew the Zephyr is "Self Control" and was thought killed by Aida.

Ahh! Okay, I remember that. Wonder if he’s going to stick around...

1 minute ago, Lobsel Vith said:

I'm still not sure what the point of the early scene between Deke and Daisy was, besides reminding me that there's really no reason for Deke to be there or the show to handwave what he did.

Well, now Deke actually has a reason for being there, and that is to start the ticking clock on when his connection to Fitz and Jemma will be revealed. After that, then he will probably die or disappear. 

• Love 2
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

Well, now Deke actually has a reason for being there, and that is to start the ticking clock on when his connection to Fitz and Jemma will be revealed. After that, then he will probably die or disappear. 

I'm not sure I think an easter egg warrants this much time or attention, and his inclusion - and everyone simply handwaving what he did - still makes no sense. And if Fitz and Simmons discover his connection, will that really matter? It's not like Deke is some child they need to take care of or anything like that.

• Love 7
Just now, Lobsel Vith said:

I'm not sure I think an easter egg warrants this much time or attention, and his inclusion - and everyone simply handwaving what he did - still makes no sense. And if Fitz and Simmons discover his connection, will that really matter? It's not like Deke is some child they need to take care of or anything like that.

I think that Deke's sacrifice in the final Space Arc episode is what was supposed to redeem him somewhat. Not that I personally bought it as his redeeming factor, but I think that's what the show is aiming for. However, this show has also not shied away from bringing back past issues with characters so I think Daisy will continue to refute his advances and call him out on his behaviour. At least she hasn't fallen for him (yet?), which is good. And they haven't handwaved his actions away. Coulson still bitches about Deke, Daisy seems less than interested, and nobody else really likes him all that much. I know where they're going here, but they could be doing a worse job. 

The show has had a decent track record with shady characters not just getting their past discrepancies forgotten about. I was worried when the Ward thing happened, and then that took a pleasant turn and they never ever redeemed Ward or hooked him up with Daisy. I am forever thankful about that, and I don't think that'll change with Deke. And Deke's actions, though bad, were not nearly as bad as Ward's. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

The show has had a decent track record with shady characters not just getting their past discrepancies forgotten about. I was worried when the Ward thing happened, and then that took a pleasant turn and they never ever redeemed Ward or hooked him up with Daisy. I am forever thankful about that, and I don't think that'll change with Deke. And Deke's actions, though bad, were not nearly as bad as Ward's. 

We had Ward in the Framework storyline, so the show did end up doing what a lot of people were concerned about simply because a segment of the fanbase refused to accept that Ward was a bad person (and that was time that could have been spent on a marginalized character like Trip). And Deke seems to be more of the same - a character who does something horrible and whose actions are excused for the same reasons fans excused Ward for his.

• Love 3

"Okay, lets get this OTP hitched to each other before Nazis from another universe wreck our shit for the next few days." "Sir, I don't think that's possible with us." "Hey, better safe than sorry."

Nice way to spend the 100th episode, with a little bit of happiness and a wedding. And maybe at the reception, everybody can break Zima bottles upside Deke's head? I don't drink alcohol, and I know you don't get that. And, yes, I get that he's from the future and has no clue on what to get if something isn't there . . . but of course he'd get the Zima. At least he's tolerable. I don't get how someone would be able to link him to Leo and Jemma. Blood and/or fingerprints?

You think Dethlok Dethklok Deathlok could hook Elena with at least one new arm? You know, to get her a sense of normalcy. I mean, Phil's down to one arm, and I barely remember that.

Seriously, who would've guessed Phil Coulson would have been -- at worst -- a second-string player in Marvel's televised universe? From government schmuck to the leader (officially and otherwise) of SHIELD. But I'm guessing this will be the last season, since he burnt out the Kree/TAHITI (Krihiti?) stuff that's kept him alive. Kinda sucks that the Avengers never appeared to have found out he lived. Also sucks that we never saw him react to all of the turning points of the MCU. Hearing about Iron Man and Cap fighting probably broke his heart.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Lobsel Vith said:

We had Ward in the Framework storyline, so the show did end up doing what a lot of people were concerned about simply because a segment of the fanbase refused to accept that Ward was a bad person (and that was time that could have been spent on a marginalized character like Trip). And Deke seems to be more of the same - a character who does something horrible and whose actions are excused for the same reasons fans excused Ward for his.

Sure, they pandered to that fanbase, but that was a fake world, the real Ward was still a horrible person who never got redeemed, and even if Daisy found herself understanding him a bit better, she still never changed her mind about him as a person because he still did bad things. Plus, he never got brought out of the Framework, thank goodness. For them, I think they just wanted to have some fun with the Framework storyline and it was more about the actor than the character. 

With Deke, it's slightly more complicated because he did a bad thing, but it also makes sense for him fighting to survive in the crappy world he had to grow up in and we know it's wrong and he knew it was wrong, but for him, it was survive or be killed. It's just a clear flaw of his that he'll have to work on. Maybe, once they change the future, he'll either have to disappear (since he'll officially be an anomaly that doesn't belong there) or he'll have to learn how to survive in a different way in this new world. But his intentions were never of evil, in the way that Ward's was. His intentions were completely selfish. He's going to have to learn to be selfless, and he's at least been shown to be capable of doing that. That doesn't mean he's completely irredeemable, and it also doesn't mean his actions are forgiven or forgotten about. I haven't seen anyone forgetting about his actions. If they had, Daisy would likely be flirting with Deke or being more friendly toward him. As it is, she's still snarking on him and keeping him at arm's length because of what he did. 

Any other show, and yeah, Daisy would have already forgiven him and everyone would be buddy-buddy with Deke. That hasn't happened here, which is something that this show does very well in terms of continuity. I have a lot of faith in this show because it hasn't steered me wrong yet. They've gotten better at telling the stories and respecting the characters and their progress. They don't dumb down their characters for plot. For example, Coulson could have easily fallen for Fake Mike's story, but he resisted for as long as he could, even as tempting and believable the story could have been. 

• Love 21
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

Sure, they pandered to that fanbase, but that was a fake world, the real Ward was still a horrible person who never got redeemed, and even if Daisy found herself understanding him a bit better, she still never changed her mind about him as a person because he still did bad things. Plus, he never got brought out of the Framework, thank goodness. For them, I think they just wanted to have some fun with the Framework storyline and it was more about the actor than the character. 

Using Ward's victims - including Victoria Hand - to elicit sympathy for Ward is something I'm not ever going to be comfortable with, and prioritizing Ward (who had three seasons of screentime) over Trip (who was marginalized in season two) doesn't help, particularly given that the Framework was supposed to be an anti-Nazi storyline.

2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

With Deke, it's slightly more complicated because he did a bad thing, but it also makes sense for him fighting to survive in the crappy world he had to grow up in and we know it's wrong and he knew it was wrong, but for him, it was survive or be killed. It's just a clear flaw of his that he'll have to work on. Maybe, once they change the future, he'll either have to disappear (since he'll officially be an anomaly that doesn't belong there) or he'll have to learn how to survive in a different way in this new world. But his intentions were never of evil, in the way that Ward's was. His intentions were completely selfish. He's going to have to learn to be selfless, and he's at least been shown to be capable of doing that. That doesn't mean he's completely irredeemable, and it also doesn't mean his actions are forgiven or forgotten about.

We had to deal with three and a half seasons of Ward. I don't see why we have to deal with a watered down version of Ward who we're supposed to excuse for slavery because of his upbringing the way the SWW fandom expected everyone to forgive Ward because of his childhood.

4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I haven't seen anyone forgetting about his actions. If they had, Daisy would likely be flirting with Deke or being more friendly toward him. As it is, she's still snarking on him and keeping him at arm's length because of what he did. 

They're using Daisy to provide emotional support for Deke, despite never establishing any reason why she would fill this role. It's annoying because Deke is simply there because the Script says he's supposed to be, rather than having an in-story reason for being part of the group (and I'm not talking about him being an easter egg for FitzSimmons).

6 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Any other show, and yeah, Daisy would have already forgiven him and everyone would be buddy-buddy with Deke. That hasn't happened here, which is something that this show does very well in terms of continuity.

The show already handwaved his actions so I'm not sure how he's being held accountable for what he did, and his victim is still being used.

8 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

They don't dumb down their characters for plot. For example, Coulson could have easily fallen for Fake Mike's story, but he resisted for as long as he could, even as tempting and believable the story could have been. 

They do - Coulson made a deal with Ward in season two despite having Mike available (and we saw how well trusting Ward went), and Deke was brought along despite selling someone into slavery and the team having no actual reason to trust him at that point.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

Using Ward's victims - including Victoria Hand - to elicit sympathy for Ward is something I'm not ever going to be comfortable with, and prioritizing Ward (who had three seasons of screentime) over Trip (who was marginalized in season two) doesn't help, particularly given that the Framework was supposed to be an anti-Nazi storyline.

If it helps any, I never liked Ward, and despite my enjoyment of the Framework arc, I never wanted Ward back. Though, to be fair to Tripp, BJ Britt was not a main character. Not that it makes it any better since I liked Tripp. I also didn't want Brett Dalton to be a series regular for so long either. So I'm not disagreeing with you here!

20 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

They do - Coulson made a deal with Ward in season two despite having Mike available (and we saw how well trusting Ward went), and Deke was brought along despite selling someone into slavery and the team having no actual reason to trust him at that point.

I guess I should have specified more recently, they tend to not dumb down characters. To be honest, I can't remember a whole lot of the first two seasons. A lot has gone on in this series so parts of it are a blur, especially when it comes to Ward. I do remember Coulson trusting Ward backstabbed him and the team at one point, though, so obviously that didn't go well. 

16 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

They're using Daisy to provide emotional support for Deke, despite never establishing any reason why she would fill this role. It's annoying because Deke is simply there because the Script says he's supposed to be, rather than having an in-story reason for being part of the group (and I'm not talking about him being an easter egg for FitzSimmons).

Yeah, it's weird because I'm not sure whether they really are setting up a Deke/Daisy romance, or it was merely the fact that they needed Deke to interact with somebody and Daisy was their option at the time. Like Robbie and Daisy's stuff, I do feel like it is partially the former but it's not really going the way I expected. But, up to this point, I haven't seen any reciprocation of feelings from Daisy, so that's good. I'm hoping that continues, because I really don't need to see Daisy dating Deke by the end. 

Also, I don't think Deke is merely an Easter Egg. That would imply that it will never be brought up again. It feels moreso as a beginning of that particular story, as in it being continued for the season. 

That being said, I still would have rather had Tess around and have her as a descendant to someone. Or hell, why not Flint? 

• Love 7

I was trying to think of all the throwback or new information of old stories Easter Eggs they covered in this episode.

1) Bringing back Deathlok from episode one

2) Finding out what FitzSimmons first conversation was about

3) Finding out that Coulson’s father was a history teacher. With Coulson’s love of history, my heart skipped a beat. That tidbit was adorable. I kinda wish we had have an episode of Coulson’s life. Did his parents die and that’s why he went Shield? Was he more like FitzSimmons looking for an adventure? I want to know more.

4) I thought it was interesting that Lash appeared as Coulson’s fear. Hive too, but I wish that had been Ward. I know, I complain about him coming back all the time, but this time I think it would have been earned. Coulson was able to always save his “daughters” but his “sons” were not always as lucky. Ward was the ones he lost. I wish we had seen more Coulson “failures.” The female agent from season one with the bomb in the eye. Blake, Trip, Victoria, or Rosalind.

5) The return of Fitz’s drones. We havent seen them in awhile right?

6) The return of Davis (thanks @Jediknight)

7) And one of my favorites, return of just regular Shield Agents. See Daisy, its hard to kill an idea. Women and Men willing to fight in the shadows. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

4) I thought it was interesting that Lash appeared as Coulson’s fear. Hive too, but I wish that had been Ward. I know, I complain about him coming back all the time, but this time I think it would have been earned. Coulson was able to always save his “daughters” but his “sons” were not always as lucky. Ward was the ones he lost. I wish we had seen more Coulson “failures.” The female agent from season one with the bomb in the eye. Blake, Trip, Victoria, or Rosalind.

I, on the other hand, am grateful that the show was actually able to (so far) go a season without clumsily inserting Ward, and since he was never really a part of the team, I wouldn't consider him Coulson's "son". He was a progeny of Garrett and a spy in Coulson's group, while Mike was someone Coulson saw potential in and tried to help in the first episode of the show.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

I, on the other hand, am grateful that the show was actually able to (so far) go a season without clumsily inserting Ward, and since he was never really a part of the team, I wouldn't consider him Coulson's "son". He was a progeny of Garrett and a spy in Coulson's group, while Mike was someone Coulson saw potential in and tried to help in the first episode of the show.

The only acceptable reason for bringing Ward back would have been to see Coulson shoot him again. 

• Love 13

Happy 100 episodes, Agents of SHIELD!  It feels like ages since you first premiered and I was wondering if you knew what the hell you were doing.  And then you just needed a hostile Hydra takeover and one of your team members to turn on you, and suddenly you got good!  And it only went up from there!

Overall, interesting episode, even though there has definitely been variations of "confronting your fears" episodes.  Fun seeing a few of the past baddies, but I was surprised they didn't get more like Aida and especially Ward, who I thought for sure was going to be making a "surprise" cameo.  I did like that Coulson ultimate fear was the idea that he was still on the operating table this entire time and everything that has happened was only a hallucination.  I could see why he briefly would consider that true, although I'm certainly glad that didn't happen, because that would be beyond a recon.

I actually did crack up that Deke's biggest fear is a generally pleasant field due to all of the "critters."

Glad Yo-Yo is on the road the recovery, but I still feed bad for her and Mack.  Hope they find a way to come back even stronger.

But, of course, the big moments were that a) Fitz and Simmons actually get married and b) Deke is their son.  The wedding was nice and, no surprise, both Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge acted the hell out of it (casting them is easily one of the best things this show has ever done), and as for Deke, well, I'll admit my first thought was that it will be very weird if he and Daisy hook up now.  Or, if for some crazy reason, they even get married and suddenly she is Fitz and Simmons' daughter in-law.  Talk about being a family!

Great seeing Deathlok/Mike again.  Too bad they couldn't get Hunter to return or any Bobbie period.

So, I guess the big obstacle now is them finding a way to save Coulson.  Even though that could possibly be the reason why Earth ends up getting blow up.  Uh oh!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

I actually did crack up that Deke's biggest fear is a generally pleasant field due to all of the "critters."

He might of said that but I think the Kree attack was Deke's biggest fear. Unlike Lash. Aida or Hive there is no other team member who I would think to assign that as their biggest fear. Okay maybe Piper, since that was her first job with the tier one team., But Deke facing that seems more on target.

• Love 4

OK show, you got me. The Fitzsimmons wedding warmed my cold dead heart. A tear may have escaped. I love our little SHIELD family.

I figured Ward would show up for sure. That would have been a good fear for Daisy.

• Love 8

It struck me while I was watching the wedding that Fitz and Simmons are one of the most likable couples on TV.  So many couples are dysfunctional, or one person is okay and the other one isn't.  Fitz and Simmons are both good, noble characters who like and love each other selflessly.  Maybe that makes them cartoonish in today's TV world, but I find it refreshing.

I had forgotten that it was the 100th episode.  I was wondering why I got an almost "end of series episode" kind of vibe, what with the wedding, Coulson's dying, and the Deke reveal.  This series has built up some nice layers to it over the years, Deathlok, Ghost Rider, gravitonium, the Inhumans, LMDs, space settings, etc.  If this is the last season, at least it appears to be ending on a strong note.

• Love 17

This.....was damn near a perfect episode. I will admit that Daisy breaking down at the thought of losing her "father" was a very emotional scene. Everyone arguing about who should seal the rift was classic "S.H.I.E.L.D. family drama". Everyone was willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. Loved that.

I stayed away from spoilers, so the wedding was a pleasant surprise. Simmons' wedding vows were just....WOW!

The only downside to the episode and to the last one also, was the loss of Elena's arms. I understand that the loss of her arms are Canon, but I still don't like it. Having watched Misty Knight, from Daughters of the Dragon, lose her right arm in "The Defenders" on Netflix, I'm distraught when people lose limbs.

Congratulations, AoS, for an excellent 100th episode.

• Love 13

I don't think Dekes actions in the past are so bad that he needs to be kept at arms length or disliked by the other characters. Personally, I've moved passed it and like the character.

I just knew Deke would turn out to be a Fitzsimmons offspring. That'll make it even more fun when he and Daisy get together. I loved their first scene.

Clark Gregg is so good. I really hope Coulson doesn't die.

I loved the Fitzsimmons wedding. Perfect 100 episode.

• Love 19

one thing I did not like is how Daisy reacted to Fitz about Hydra I mean I got why she said it but it did sorta of feel like a low below I think even Simmons found that a bit offensive

• Love 5

Wow Fitz and Simmons got married without any thing bad happening. It's interesting how they didn't have it be the center or even mentioned through the rest of the episode. But they knew that if they didn't do it soon, something will happen to prevent it. Plus they wanted to be married by Coulson, who may not be around much longer.

I was glad that they brought Mike back, he was a lose storyline that I always wondered about. They still didn't really explain what he was for the past few years. But the scene with him and Coulson (the real him that is) was great.

Props to all the people who saw that he was related to Fitz/Simmons. I was sort of hoping that he wasn't going to be related to anyone, but that makes sense. It's also interesting that he doesn't know that they are his grandparents.

Edit: I didn't realize this was the 100th episode, good job show :). Thanks for giving me the happy ending I wanted :).

Edited by blueray
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Froippi said:

one thing I did not like is how Daisy reacted to Fitz about Hydra I mean I got why she said it but it did sorta of feel like a low below I think even Simmons found that a bit offensive

I agree that it was kind of a low blow, but I got that Daisy was already freaking out about losing Coulson and lashing out where she could. She's grown as a person, so she didn't just run off against orders to save Phil like she would have in earlier season -- but she's not so mature that she won't resort to cutting remarks to family members in the heat of the moment. Plus, it was a quick way to reference that the memories of the Framework are still with them. I mean, we know Fitz hasn't forgotten and even believes that's always been a part of him, but the rest of the team hasn't really talked about Framework!Fitz, so this was an easy callback in an episode full of them. (Also it made sense to me that Daisy would bring it up, being one of only team members who hacked their way into the Framework and didn't live a whole life there -- of the other team members to do so, one was not in the room during the tense situation, and the other one is now his wife.)

12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The only acceptable reason for bringing Ward back would have been to see Coulson shoot him again. 

When the boots and long black coat first walked into the basement, I thought for sure it was gonna be Ward. Since the body was not CGI, my headcannon is that that was Brett Dalton as the full manifestation of Hive -- whom Coulson got to punch full in the face before DeathLok blew his head off, so that's pretty close.

• Love 8

Cried at the reveal that Coulson was dying, cried at Daisy's "You found me in an alley" speech, cried at all the Elena and Mack scenes, cried at May saying "You don't get to tell me who I waste my time with", cried at Phil almost believing the past five years have been a dream and that he was dying after being stabbed by Loki, cried at the reveal that Fitzsimmons were finally getting married!

• Love 7

I thoroughly enjoyed Fear!Mike Peterson gaslighting Coulson, followed up by Real!Deathlok kicking ass and taking names, with both legs and both arms.

I'm at a loss, though, as to how Deke could learn THIS much about Fitz and Simmons, and not put together that they're his grandparents.

• Love 6

Do we have any indication that Deke ever knew them though? All he said was that his mom used to have a similar ring that he thought belonged to his grandma (which doesn't even necessarily mean his mom is their daughter, but if she is, wasn't it implied that she died when Deke was young?)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jmonique said:

I'm at a loss, though, as to how Deke could learn THIS much about Fitz and Simmons, and not put together that they're his grandparents.

He ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Also, he's more concerned about the critters that are running around.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, LeisureTime said:

Do we have any indication that Deke ever knew them though? All he said was that his mom used to have a similar ring that he thought belonged to his grandma (which doesn't even necessarily mean his mom is their daughter, but if she is, wasn't it implied that she died when Deke was young?)

I was just thinking, Deke knows these two are from the past, and that they lived on/created the places he used to live in/on. And now she has the same ring his grandmother had. To me it doesn't seem like that far of a leap. But I'll just assume other factors are at play.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, jmonique said:

But I'll just assume other factors are at play.

Yep, other factors like living in space all your life and never having lived on a planet with trees, birds, blue skies & critters. I'm sure his senses are overwhelmed. I just know after the wedding, he's going to get shitfaced drinking Zima.

• Love 9

So I was dry-eyed throughtout the whole 'team finds out that Coulson is dying' scenes, didn't shed a tear when Coulson was facing his fear of death (or rather death without making a difference), but as soon as I realized that Fitz and Simmons were going to tie the knot, I'm not embarrassed to admit that I started bawling like a baby.

And yes, I was expecting something to happen that would mess things up before they could say their vows.  I suppose at least they don't have to worry about who will take whose name because they've got a ready-made shared name that everybody is going to use anyway!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Froippi said:

I actually laughed at her throwing Hydra in his face and calling him Leopold. It was such a sibling thing to do. Who hasnt, in an high stress, emotional moment lashed out at a sibling or family member by throwing something in their face that you know is going to cause a reaction? My sister has gone through a ton of cars and when we’re getting into it, usually “car killer” pops out of my mouth. Its so stupid, but for some reason it really gets my sister going. Logical? No. 

Daisy went for Fitz’s knees bc she was upset. It definitely looked familar to me.

• Love 11

That was a wonderful episode. Great acting by all the mains finding out Coulson was dying, and at the wedding. 

Congrats Agents of Shield, when your good your goood.

Edited by dkb
  • Love 2

I never would have expected AoS to last 100 episodes, so congratulations to cast and crew!

There was a lot to like about the episode, and two of the things were because of what didn't happen. I would have been pissed if this was all Phil's fevered dream. Too much shades of St. Elsewhere's finale (congratulations suckers, you wasted 7 years watching a dream). And, while I haven't been a fan of Fitz/Simmons becoming Fitz!Simmons, I was glad that after all they've gone through, the wedding went off w/o a hitch. And, Coulson having the authority to marry them b/c, well, they said he did. Clark Gregg's look as he said the line was great. 

1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

I just know after the wedding, he's going to get shitfaced drinking Zima.

Is it really possible to get shitfaced from Zima? I mean, sure, if you drink 800 bottles, but short of that ... Hmmm, doing a little (very little) research, I see Zima actually has the alcohol content of many U.S. beers. So, it's just the taste that one must deal with in order to get drunk.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, david gideon said:

I've never tasted Zima and not sure I've even heard the name in years. Last time I can recall was when it popped up in a few eps of Babylon 5.

I just thought it was another wine cooler only to look it up after seeing comments on the last episode. It turns out it is still in Japan and Coors had a limited run in America last year. So I missed the joke of the bar tender dumping unsold stock on a first time drinker.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Is it really possible to get shitfaced from Zima? I mean, sure, if you drink 800 bottles, but short of that ... Hmmm, doing a little (very little) research, I see Zima actually has the alcohol content of many U.S. beers. So, it's just the taste that one must deal with in order to get drunk.

Having had a few Zimas in the distant past, I think I'd rather have a beer. (Preferably a Newcastle) Zimas are like drinking those Coolers. Mostly flavor and not much kick, although Zima has probably the same % of alcohol as most beers, like you said Loandbehold.  Bleech!

19 minutes ago, david gideon said:

I've never tasted Zima and not sure I've even heard the name in years. Last time I can recall was when it popped up in a few eps of Babylon 5.

I don't remember Zima popping up in B5. B5 is probably due for a rewatch about now. :-)

One thing I especially liked about this episode was Daisy's impassioned plea to Coulson not to go down to level 27. Clear, level headed, bold statements about a General not doing what a common soldier should be doing. Daisy has come a long way from the young girl Coulson raised. I still get a chuckle when I think of her telling Raina that she thought all she did was spin really fast and collect gold coins. Classic Skye/Daisy quip.

• Love 4

Clark Gregg really is an understated treasure. There were lots of high impact scenes in this episode, but my favorite interaction was between May and Coulson. They touch on the relationship-that-never-was, then he ends with "Now do you want to help me get into this gear that Fitz has for me? It's super sexy." Absolutely perfect deadpan delivery! That is why I love this guy. 

And I'm glad that someone finally acknowledged in-show that Ming-na seems to have stopped aging. 

53 minutes ago, fellini said:

Is Daisy still without her powers? She didn't use her powers against the Cree guy instead she shot him with a gun.

Daisy is still blocked by the neck gizmo that the Kree put on her. And apparently they need a neurosurgeon to remove it, so I imagine that is going to pop up again soon. 

Lastly, I loved the return of both Mike Petersons! It is a shame that Deathlok wasn't worked into the main storyline so that he could become a regular. I like both the character and the actor. I thought that he and SkyeDaisy had great partnership chemistry, better than her and Mack truth to be told. So it was gratifying to get a little glimpse of him. 

Deke is entertaining as a Zima-loving fish out of water. But I really hope that the show is not going in the direction of a romantic relationship between him and Daisy. Firstly, it is super gross to have a thing for one of your grandparents' friends. Secondly, I am hoping to see a return of Robbie at some point and I really thought he and Daisy were a solid match. 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, CaptainTightpants said:

I am hoping to see a return of Robbie at some point and I really thought he and Daisy were a solid match. 

I agree. She and Robbie had a much more easy going relationship, plus they were both badasses in a fight. I too, hope they don't try to pair up Deke and Daisy. Not because of the yuck factor of him being FitzSimmons' grandchild, that doesn't bother me, but because they don't match up well. I think he's game, when he claimed they were having a moment, but she shut him down quickly. Daisy doesn't suffer fools lightly. I see her more as a mentor to Deke.  Daisy doesn't run from trouble, she heads straight towards it. Deke however......

Hopefully, with the reunion of the rest of S.H.I.E.L.D., they will find a neurosurgeon who is able to remove the block (that is, if Daisy actually wants the block removed) and perhaps a prosthetic surgeon who can fashion arms for Yo-Yo. Perhaps Tony Stark, who supplied a bionic arm for Misty Knight, will come to Yo-Yo's rescue, however if that were possible, wouldn't the Yo-Yo in the future have prosthetic arms?

I wonder how this present is going to deviate and veer off so that the future we saw, doesn't come to pass.

• Love 2

One thing I found interesting is Coulson told Fitz that the wedding needed to happen everyone need to believe in and hope and a symbol that was a very interesting conversation about Fitz wedding 

Edited by Froippi
  • Love 1