Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Karma's a Bitch

Empress1
  • Start Topic

What goes around comes around for an unremorseful widower, an arrogant fitness club owner, and an unsuspecting thief. Meanwhile, Bobby gets a surprising phone call from his doctor after donating blood.

Bobby is now a baby saver. I guess that'll make up for the 150 (sorry, 148) people he killed? I had to laugh at how cheesy that scene was with the doctor gleefully declaring Bobby's blood as some miracle blood. I did like his scenes with Chimney though. Finally they decided to use Chimney, which is good. 

I'll admit, the karma cases were kind of really good. The asshole who locked his dog in the car? Screw that guy. Good for the employee who broke his window to get the dog out. I would have taken that dog home as well, because that dog look malnourished. I guess the employee can now with the guy dead. 

I still am not fond of Athena, her gay husband, or her kids. I'm sorry, but both Athena and her husband are wrong. Her husband is selfish enough to try to bring his boyfriend around when they haven't really worked things out with the kids first. Jumping into change this fast is not the smartest idea. But Athena's also wrong in trying to live in denial that her husband does have a boyfriend and that things will have to change eventually. It's probably been months since her husband came out, and when is it ever going to be the right time? 

I liked Hen/Athena's scene where Hen admitted her adultery. That was surprisingly a well done scene for this show. Also, did we know that Hen and Ava share a son? Because I had no idea she had a kid.

Basically no Abby or Buck, which is fine with me. 

• Love 14

I loved the play on the Cecil the Lion story.  That may have been my favorite television storyline in recent months.

I knew Hen's adultery would come back to bite her. She didn't bother to help the ex out with her parole hearing, but had no problem sleeping with her the 1st minute she came calling. Did she really think the ex wouldn't be bitter over that?

I'm glad that Athena is filing for divorce and attempting to move on.

• Love 12
44 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I liked Hen/Athena's scene where Hen admitted her adultery. That was surprisingly a well done scene for this show. Also, did we know that Hen and Ava share a son? Because I had no idea she had a kid.

Yeah, it was mentioned the first time the ex came up.  I think Hen may have actually had the kid with the ex?

• Love 1

This was the best episode yet.  Karma, indeed.

I'm sick and tired of Athena and her gay husband and I don't see how either of them could have thought this arrangement of living together like friends would work.  Athena's kids acted so much more mature than she did.

I'm confused about Bobby.  Did the police/firefighters know that he started the fire?  I still can't feel sorry for him, I don't care how much blood he gives or how many babies he saves.  He should be in jail. 

• Love 7

So Nash has come out to one of his subordinates that he's actively contemplating suicide. Why is Han not burning up the phone to HQ demanding that Nash be placed on psych leave? Would YOU follow him into a burning building (he IS on an engine, after all, and that's what engine companies do) knowing he might take you with him?

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'll admit, the karma cases were kind of really good. The asshole who locked his dog in the car? Screw that guy. Good for the employee who broke his window to get the dog out. I would have taken that dog home as well, because that dog look malnourished. I guess the employee can now with the guy dead. 

I still am not fond of Athena, her gay husband, or her kids. I'm sorry, but both Athena and her husband are wrong. Her husband is selfish enough to try to bring his boyfriend around when they haven't really worked things out with the kids first. Jumping into change this fast is not the smartest idea. But Athena's also wrong in trying to live in denial that her husband does have a boyfriend and that things will have to change eventually. It's probably been months since her husband came out, and when is it ever going to be the right time? 

Agreed with all of this. These people got what they deserved.

Also, the wife-beater? Fuck that guy, too. Words are not enough to describe how much I despise domestic abusers, male or female. "You want out so bad, you're gonna have to shoot yourself, not me." Consider my blood boiled. What a POS. 

I LOL'd at the Porch Pirate breaking her leg. Ha. 

Screw that guy who taunted the tiger and hunts illegally. People really suck. 

The music really worked for this episode, too. 'Karma's gonna get you' and Alanis' "You Oughta Know." I got a kick out of it. 

I rolled my eyes a little at Bobby having a rare blood type. 

(And @Lady Calypso, did you notice that the doctor in this episode is the same ER doctor from The Fosters, that took care of Jesus? lol)

Angela Bassett is a queen. Love her.

"Well, aren't you Mr. Smooth?"

"So, you know my last name."

"I would've guessed that was your middle name."

"It's Chester."

"For real? Ooh, your parents hated you right away."

LOL.

How can a parolee, Eva, get custody of a kid?

I can say from my own experience that Hen's talk of kids following their mom's lead when it comes to their dad is true. 

I really liked this episode. 

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 15

Maybe it's the sound on my tv but, I swear, when Athena's husband says her name it always sounds like "Edina."

Speaking of "Edina":  If I were that guy at the bar and she asked for my DOB so she could check me out, I would gotten up have left her sitting there.  I thought that was too much info to ask for and to give out to someone you just met and don't even know.  He was stupid.  And then her saying "I'm a cop" like she's some bigshot.  Yeah, I would have left. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ShortyMac said:

(And @Lady Calypso, did you notice that the doctor in this episode is the same ER doctor from The Fosters, that took care of Jesus? lol)

Yes I did! I immediately took note of him when he walked in the room!

Also, the wife-beater? Fuck that guy, too. Words are not enough to describe how much I despise domestic abusers, male or female. "You want out so bad, you're gonna have to shoot yourself, not me." Consider my blood boiled. What a POS. 

Agreed 100%. When that karma case started off the episode, I knew it was going to be a good, satisfying episode.

35 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Maybe it's the sound on my tv but, I swear, when Athena's husband says her name it always sounds like "Edina."

Speaking of "Edina":  If I were that guy at the bar and she asked for my DOB so she could check me out, I would gotten up have left her sitting there.  I thought that was too much info to ask for and to give out to someone you just met and don't even know.  He was stupid.  And then her saying "I'm a cop" like she's some bigshot.  Yeah, I would have left. 

Yeah, I was not really impressed with her in that scene. 

• Love 3

How can a parolee, Eva, get custody of a kid?

I wondered this too. I knew the ex was going to be messy (there was no way Tracie Thoms wasn't going to find out - I thought the ex would get attached, start coming around, and out the situation), but I don't think one indiscretion in an otherwise safe, loving home where the child is cared for would trump the fact that the other parent is on parole and has only been out for a matter of weeks. 

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I disagree that Athena's husband is wrong for bringing his boyfriend around the kids. The kids seem pretty clear on what's going on, including the fact that Athena was in denial. Athena not wanting the boyfriend around the kids was about her, not the kids. I was waiting for the divorce - it's really the only way they can both move forward. Athena's initial proposal that they live together sexlessly is unfair to both of them.

I laughed my ass off at the dude who got eaten by a tiger. In fact, I was like "That tiger is gonna eat his ass" when his nephew* was hucking pinecones at it.

*Who apparently hauled ass out of there without waiting for his uncle, and good for him!

• Love 3

Actually I have to side with Athena. Her husband is pushing his agenda on her way too soon and way too hard. It's not up to him to call the shots. What if he were simply involved with another woman? Would it be fair to demand this other woman instantly become a part of their lives? Athena doesn't owe him anything and shouldn't be forced to interact with his new lover. That said, they need to separate and be realistic about their situation. Living together for the sake of the kids just isn't going to work.

• Like 1
  • Love 22

I try so hard to overlook the medical, um, let's call them "errors" on this show. I worked in Labor and Delivery for almost ten years. So last week, I just overlooked Bobby's diagnosis of "CPD-the baby's head is too big and you're gonna need a c-section." EMTs--and you aren't even one of those, Bobby--don't diagnosis patients. They can make a pretty good guess, but nobody except the doctor at the hospital is going to make the call that a woman needs an emergency c-section in a circumstance like that. But this week? "Do you know what Rhesus Disease is?" What? Why yes I do; where are you going with this? Oh, you're going to show us a scene from the 1960's when a Rh positive baby born to a Rh negative mother would need an immediate transfusion after it's born? Oh and by the way, it's only after the first Rh+ baby is born that the next baby is at risk, so proud papa's little #1 would not have needed a transfusion under those circumstances. But it's the *mother* that is treated during pregnancy in advance of delivery, not the babies. I guess they needed an immediate way to show Bobby how he was saving lives. And showing some pregnant mom getting a shot just wasn't going to have the same emotional impact. 

3 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

So Nash has come out to one of his subordinates that he's actively contemplating suicide. Why is Han not burning up the phone to HQ demanding that Nash be placed on psych leave?

I guess I wouldn't start getting nervous until he got to about 145 or 146 in his book. :)  Plus our brooding Hamlet would not risk his fellow firefighters. he probably already has his goblet of poison waiting at home (or poisoned sword).

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Basically no Abby or Buck, which is fine with me. 

I didn't love this episode. I was annoyed that they got to the climax of the abby and buck story and then just kind of ignored it this week. Abby and Buck are favorites on their own. 

I didn't like the Karma stories because they were SOOOO HEAVY HANDED... and all at once.  I also find it hard to believe that the "dentist" would go to a zoo and start throwing things at a tiger. 

But, I did like Bobby's story ... first Peter Krause can really cry and gets to me when he does.  Second I have to give props to whomever wrote that story, this was, in fact, an original story that I never saw coming. Good for you show. Never ever in a zillion years would I have seen that coming. I also like it kind of brings this issue to a large audience. I never have given blood and now I am thinking maybe I should in case I have magic blood. <g> Finally Chimney was used well and I liked that they rounded out that relationship.

Athena's story is done... I enjoy her as a police officer but go sparingly on the home life.

Oh Hen.. welp you knew that was coming. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I did like his scenes with Chimney though. Finally they decided to use Chimney, which is good. 

I'll admit, the karma cases were kind of really good. The asshole who locked his dog in the car? Screw that guy. Good for the employee who broke his window to get the dog out. 

Agreed about Chimney! I like him and was glad he finally got something to do. 

And the karma cases were SO good! I was cheering for the employee that saved the dog and loved seeing the assole dude get all crispy in the tanning bed. 

7 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

@Lady Calypso

Angela Bassett is a queen. Love her.

"Well, aren't you Mr. Smooth?"

"So, you know my last name."

"I would've guessed that was your middle name."

"It's Chester."

"For real? Ooh, your parents hated you right away."

Oh, the wife beater made my blood boil too. I swear I’ve never watched TV with such a sense of delicious schadenfreude as when that guy took a bulllet to the chest. Karma’s a bitch indeed. 

Yes!!! Agreed about Athena. That exchange in the bar cracked me up. Angela Bassett is perfection! 

5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I wondered this too. I knew the ex was going to be messy (there was no way Tracie Thoms wasn't going to find out - I thought the ex would get attached, start coming around, and out the situation), but I don't think one indiscretion in an otherwise safe, loving home where the child is cared for would trump the fact that the other parent is on parole and has only been out for a matter of weeks. 

Yeah, I don’t get how the jailbird ex could even have a leg to stand on as far as custody is concerned. Hen made one mistake (albeit a really stupid, hurtful and kind of huge one). How does that mean their home is unstable? Like you said, the kid is loved and well cared for. Also, cheating between partners has absolutely nothing to do with how well the kid is cared for. 

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Actually I have to side with Athena. Her husband is pushing his agenda on her way too soon and way too hard. It's not up to him to call the shots. What if he were simply involved with another woman? Would it be fair to demand this other woman instantly become a part of their lives? Athena doesn't owe him anything and shouldn't be forced to interact with his new lover. That said, they need to separate and be realistic about their situation. Living together for the sake of the kids just isn't going to work.

I agree with this 100%!! I’m gayer then an LGBT pride flag and therefore totally get how exciting it is to finally come out and start your life as your authentic self, but yeah. Dude, slow your roll. He definitely would never expect Athena to accept a new woman into their kids’ lives (and hers!) so quickly. A new man shouldn’t be any different. I totally understand that he’s eager to start this new chapter of his life and integrate all the people he loves together. But I feel like this is a respect thing. He’s had this life with Athena and the kids for years.....he at least owes her a little bit of time to adjust. I liked that she asked him to slow down. She’s not being a homophobic psycho about it, the poor woman just needs a minute. They obviously still care deeply about each other. I liked that she (basically) said that she didn’t want to end up hating him, and that’s exactly what would happen if they continued to live together. They’re making the best decision for themselves and their kids by separating. I’m proud of them for that. 

I admittedly missed Abby, but didn’t really realize it until the end of the episode. One thing that made me smile was the look on her face when she heard the tiger roar during the 911 call. Like “what the hell is this?!”

Admittedly, that may be my affection for Connie Britton talking. :) 

Oh, and Athena and Hen’s friendship continues to be one of my favorite things about this show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
58 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

I agree with this 100%!! I’m gayer then an LGBT pride flag and therefore totally get how exciting it is to finally come out and start your life as your authentic self, but yeah. Dude, slow your roll. He definitely would never expect Athena to accept a new woman into their kids’ lives (and hers!) so quickly. A new man shouldn’t be any different. I totally understand that he’s eager to start this new chapter of his life and integrate all the people he loves together. But I feel like this is a respect thing. He’s had this life with Athena and the kids for years.....he at least owes her a little bit of time to adjust. I liked that she asked him to slow down. She’s not being a homophobic psycho about it, the poor woman just needs a minute. They obviously still care deeply about each other. I liked that she (basically) said that she didn’t want to end up hating him, and that’s exactly what would happen if they continued to live together. They’re making the best decision for themselves and their kids by separating. I’m proud of them for that. 

I do agree that it probably is fast, but then I remembered that it's not like it's only been a few weeks or a month since he came out, it's been at least three months. Not that Athena shouldn't get more time to adjust, but she's been stuck in the denial phase. I think, if Michael had not brought it up, Athena would have never been ready and might have continued to live in this denial for many more months. In a way, it jumpstarted the divorce that they should have already talked about ages ago. Their strained relationship has already put enormous pressure on their children, and it's not all on Michael. Which is why I stand by my opinion that both are wrong. Athena and Michael need to talk to each other and to their children before Michael introduces his boyfriend, but Athena needs to accept the fact that their family is not staying together in the way that she wants and she needs to deal with it.

No Buck!!  YAY!  I didn't miss him at all!

I don't care about Athena's personal life so I'm hoping since she has decided to move on, the show will concentrate more on her professional life.  

Hen and her crackhead ex share a son.  Crackhead thinks she's going to get full custody because Hen cheated on her wife?  Pretty sure a judge is going to side with a cheating Hen over a nasty skank out on parole.  

I enjoyed the Cecil the Lion zoo storyline, however, I find it difficult to believe that the zoo would make it so easy for a tiger to escape.  And how was the tiger able to get into the giraffe area? 

I kind of liked the Bobby and his miracle blood plot.  It was interesting to see how he was thinking... like after he saves 148 lives, he's taking his own and God's punishment for Bobby is to have him remain alive because of his special blood.  Now that he saved the baby's life, his mentality has changed?  No more notebook?  No more suicide talk?  He healed faster than Chimney!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SparklesBitch said:

Yeah, I don’t get how the jailbird ex could even have a leg to stand on as far as custody is concerned. Hen made one mistake (albeit a really stupid, hurtful and kind of huge one). How does that mean their home is unstable? Like you said, the kid is loved and well cared for. Also, cheating between partners has absolutely nothing to do with how well the kid is cared for. 

If we took kids away from parents who cheat but who are otherwise good parents, particularly if we include one-time-only indiscretions like Hen's, we'd have a lot of homeless kids.

Hen's ex JUST got out of jail. Like, a week ago. No one is going to give her custody.

• Love 5

The girlfriend and I visited a zoo a couple of weeks ago, and I told her "When we leave, we have to run out to the parking lot yelling 'They're loose! They're loose!'"  So we had to laugh when we saw everyone running out of the zoo in this episode.  I thought it was a good episode, not so much with the over-the-top cases.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Yeah, I don’t get how the jailbird ex could even have a leg to stand on as far as custody is concerned.

But - but - but - Eva the parolee has completed some accounting classes!  As she tells us every 20 seconds she's talking.  That definitely means she'll get custody over an upstanding non-convict who has devoted her career to public service for the hurt and vulnerable.

Convict < first responder in all cases, except when basic bookkeeping is involved!

If proof of an unstable home is that Hen slept with Eva, how exactly does Eva think that makes her look in the same vein?  That Eva's home is obviously stable, in spite of her sleeping with the married ex she used to have the child with?  Less than a month out of prison?  Before she's even proven she can hold down the job she's clocked into for like, a week?

I was very happy to see Bree Turner back on my screen!  Except for the way she went out.  But thumbs up for how eventually took her asshole husband with her.

• Love 5

Pretty good episode.  I enjoyed all the "Karma" episodes, especially the one that was pretty much ripping off the Cecil the Lion story.  Great seeing Bree Turner again as the abused wife, even if it ended tragically for her (at least her abusive husband met his end.)  Although, I still have Grimm on my mind, because when she mentioned meeting someone else, I so wanted it to be Silas Weir Mitchell.  And he shows up and proceeds to rip Abusive Asshole Husband's arm off and beat him to death with it.

Bobby suddenly having "miracle blood" that can save thousands of lives was far-fetched, but it was nice seeing more of what makes him tick, and I enjoyed seeing more of his friendship with Chimney.

I'll admit that its likely due to thinking Angela Bassett is the best and really liking Rockmond Dunbar, but I actually kind of like the drama, and think they've done a decent job at having Athena and Michael both be imperfect in this relationship, but neither one coming off like a full-fledge bad guy.  I do think finally beginning the separation process is a good step for both of them.

That said, if the custody battle with Hen ends with her ex getting custody, then this show truly is in fantasy land.  Even if Hen was a jerk for cheating on her wife, I can't see any court giving the child to someone who just got paroled over a generally stable household.

• Love 6

The actors are so much better than the over the top material... it's like they've tried to make a campy Empire version of Emergency, and though it is never boring, sometimes the show's absurdity just takes you out of any genuine emotion.  They should slowly reel it back in and keep some of the outrageous, exciting story lines, but tone it down enough to keep the characters and back stories believable.  I've enjoyed the whole exploration of Peter Krause's character and the bonding with Kenneth Cho's Chimney.  Connie Britton deserves a better love interest... the younger man plot line was fine but that character is just terrible.  Athena and Hen should have had a relationship instead of the lame stories about their respective spouses...  I have such a love/hate feeling towards this show... but I've enjoyed some of these recent episodes where they played it like a regular drama.

• Love 1

That said, if the custody battle with Hen ends with her ex getting custody, then this show truly is in fantasy land.  Even if Hen was a jerk for cheating on her wife, I can't see any court giving the child to someone who just got paroled over a generally stable household.

Not sure how it is going to turn out but it kind of seems like the point is harassment. Like the ex is getting back at Hen by blowing up her marriage and putting custody in doubt but I doubt seriously custody is seriously in dispute.  

If proof of an unstable home is that Hen slept with Eva, how exactly does Eva think that makes her look in the same vein?  

This. Makes zero sense. 

• Love 7

"Not sure how it is going to turn out but it kind of seems like the point is harassment. Like the ex is getting back at Hen by blowing up her marriage and putting custody in doubt but I doubt seriously custody is seriously in dispute."

That may be the whole point ... she neither expects not really wants custody, but she does want to trash Hen's new life without her.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, BooBear said:

But, I did like Bobby's story ... first Peter Krause can really cry and gets to me when he does.  Second I have to give props to whomever wrote that story, this was, in fact, an original story that I never saw coming. Good for you show. Never ever in a zillion years would I have seen that coming. I also like it kind of brings this issue to a large audience. I never have given blood and now I am thinking maybe I should in case I have magic blood. <g> Finally Chimney was used well and I liked that they rounded out that relationship.

Idk how original it is with his miracle blood that was clearly based on the Australian man they mentioned in the episode. I for some reason right away went to that story of him saving moms and babies when he received the call from the doc. It was obvious they won't give Bobby some kind of bad disease after going on and on about his karmic debt. So I was like I bet it's rare blood. I was between AB- and Rh thing. But should have known that Murphy would go all in with the type of blood that only one person on this planet (publicly known) has.

Karma stories were satisfying, even if heavy handed. LOVED the wife "shooting" her abuser via the tree. Super unlikely but I didn't care.

I wasn't really into Chimney coming back THAT quickly after THAT lucky of a break, but I adore the character. So I'm sold. whatever. lol

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mmccpp said:

"Not sure how it is going to turn out but it kind of seems like the point is harassment. Like the ex is getting back at Hen by blowing up her marriage and putting custody in doubt but I doubt seriously custody is seriously in dispute."

That may be the whole point ... she neither expects not really wants custody, but she does want to trash Hen's new life without her.

Totally agree with this. Never once thought that suing for custody was in any way to get her son back. She was out for vengeance the minute Hen didn't help her with her parole hearing. For Eva, karma is upending Hen's life. And maybe it is karma for Hen to now have to have a big question mark in her future. But since Eva was given a second chance (paroled) even without Hen's help, maybe Hen will get her second chance too.

• Love 1

Which is why I stand by my opinion that both are wrong. Athena and Michael need to talk to each other and to their children before Michael introduces his boyfriend, but Athena needs to accept the fact that their family is not staying together in the way that she wants and she needs to deal with it.

Yeah, both are under the mistaken impression that somehow it's best for their children if they continue living together. Why? They seem to have some idealized concept about a nuclear family but the truth is, the kids are old enough now to understand why their parents can no longer live in the same house. And kids that age wouldn't care that much, either. They're much more focused on their own friends and school, and want to spend as little time at home as possible anyway. They'd be seeing their parents about as often if they lived together as if they lived apart.

• Love 3
(edited)

The tiger plot was also ripped from the headlines of a mauling Christmas day 2007 when three asshole teen boys harassed a female Siberian tiger at San Francisco Zoo. She got out of her enclosure and went after the three, killing one and injuring the other two. She actually passed up other easier prey to go after her tormentors. Unfortunately, she was killed afterwards, which sucked. The Cecil tie-in was just icing on the karma cake to me.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 11

Even though I have little to zero sympathy for Bobby, one thing I didn't like was Chimney, Buck and Hen harassing him about giving blood.  I thought they went too far and if he didn't want to give blood, he shouldn't have been made to feel guilty about it.  

• Love 7
On 3/8/2018 at 7:54 AM, Ohwell said:

I'm sick and tired of Athena and her gay husband and I don't see how either of them could have thought this arrangement of living together like friends would work.  Athena's kids acted so much more mature than she did.

I've known several couples who tried this arrangement (heterosexual couples). So people do try it. One didn't involve children and worked, somewhat. But the ones with were nightmares, ultimately. People aren't particularly rational in midst of emotional upheaval, some try to cling to some semblance of "normality."

4 hours ago, CoderLady said:

The tiger plot was also ripped from the headlines of a mauling Christmas day 2007 when three asshole teen boys harassed a female Siberian tiger at San Francisco Zoo. She got out of her enclosure and went after the three, killing one and injuring the other two. She actually passed up other easier prey to go after her tormentors. Unfortunately, she was killed afterwards, which sucked. The Cecil tie-in was just icing on the karma cake to me.

That's the story I thought they were going to go with, but I particularly liked them going with Cecil at the end.

• Love 4

I totally forgot to check out the forum for this episode.  Then I heard Martin Shkreli cried as he was sentenced to 84 months of hard labor and I thought, "You're a monster and karma's a bitch . . . wait, I've heard that just recently . . . 9-1-1!"   Ah, who doesn't love a good karmic payout?

So I thought all the karma vignettes were enormously satisfying, but I also thought they made a nice balance with Saint Bobby's rare blood dealio, too.  I expected him to immediately tumble to the fact that he was not going to save 148 people, he was going to save thousands--but then he saw it as God's punishment.  Uh-oh!  <shaking my head>  I'm glad he got it figured out, because that would truly be a divine gift.

• Love 5

I thought this episode was pretty good. It’s getting stronger each week in my opinion. But I had to keep my eyes (and ears) closed for the tanning bed death. Too much, show. Too. Much.

I consider Connie and Peter pretty big tv stars so it’s surprising to me that they don’t have huge roles each week (Connie especially). I still think those two will end up together at some point in the show so maybe that’s when their storylines will really take off?

Party of Five has been off the air for eighteen years (!!!) and I still have a visceral reaction anytime I see Daphne the stripper in another role (here as the Porch Pirate). 

• Love 1

Did anybody else notice the woman breathing? Right after they try CPR and the husband says they had our differences, you can see her chest rise. I love noticing stuff like that, CSI dead bodies did it all the time. ?

• Love 1

I know a lot of people are not fond of The Buck and Abby pairing but with so many older guy younger woman stories I find this one refreshing.   

If anything the storyline I don’t like is Athena and her gay husband.   Honestly I don’t really like her husband at all.  Yeah yeah it’s hard coming out.  However he is being written as exceptionally selfish.  “Oh hi hunny do you mind if I bring my boyfriend to Thanksgiving dinner to meet the kids?  That would be cool right?”  I’d have stabbed him.    I’m not sure if it is being written that way on purpose considering RM is gay but the husband is a selfish ass who wants to live his life and to hell with the wreckage he leaves behind.  I think Athena just giving him divorce papers shows how much the better person she is.

Bobby and his golden arm is an interesting storyline.  This is a guy borderline suicidal who keeps getting thrown reasons to live.  I get it, Karma.  

I am not sure what to make of Hen’s storyline.  As good and decent a person she is she has her flaws.  Self destruction when it comes to women?  Or maybe just this one woman.   It will be interesting to see if she can pull herself out of the hole she dug for herself.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am not sure what to make of Hen’s storyline.  As good and decent a person she is she has her flaws.  Self destruction when it comes to women?  Or maybe just this one woman.   It will be interesting to see if she can pull herself out of the hole she dug for herself.

I wish we could see what draws Hen to that woman. What we've seen of her certainly doesn't show (to me) any reason why Hen was with her in the first place, much less is still hot for her. Of course, there is a problem with chemistry and couples in this show.

• Love 3
On 3/8/2018 at 1:15 PM, tallykat said:

"Do you know what Rhesus Disease is?" What? Why yes I do; where are you going with this? Oh, you're going to show us a scene from the 1960's when a Rh positive baby born to a Rh negative mother would need an immediate transfusion after it's born?

Oh, thank god, I thought it was just me. My dad does have what they called "baby blood" and they asked him to give blood as often as possible, but it's not like they called it "miracle blood" or anything. (I think it's just that he never had CMV?) And I'd think if it were an issue of rarity, then the very fact of it being so rare would mean that there wouldn't be many people needing it.

ETA: Maybe they meant his blood was Rh-null.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
Research!

I like this show, it's one of a kind.  I don't believe it is meant to be taken Seriously at all, but is supposed to be over the top with comedic moments.  It's by RM, his style always calls for some suspension of belief.  I can see that some people wouldn't care for the illogical parts of the show, but that is what this show is.

Edited by In a dream
  • Love 1

I forgot to post about this show last week but the targets for karma were easy and yet every single time it happened, it was so satisfying.  I ain't gonna lie, I was rooting for the lion (or tiger) and cheered when they found his body.

The one story I just can't with is Bobby's.  It may be awful but I was rooting for suicide when he brought it up. 

And this kills me because I really do like Peter Krause.  But everyone else on this show has some form of realistic batshit going in their lives and then there's this outsized he killed 150 people, including his whole family, but now has a miracle arm thing Bobby has going on.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The one story I just can't with Bobby's.  It may be awful but I was rooting for suicide when he brought it up. 

Me too.  It's gotten to the point where I can't stand to look at him because every time I see his face I think of all those people he killed.  I know he can't be killed off because he's one of the main characters, and that's a shame. 

• Love 3
On 3/9/2018 at 6:11 PM, Ohwell said:

Even though I have little to zero sympathy for Bobby, one thing I didn't like was Chimney, Buck and Hen harassing him about giving blood.  I thought they went too far and if he didn't want to give blood, he shouldn't have been made to feel guilty about it.  

It was kind of worth it for me because it included the quick little flashback of Bobby giving blood, and having it "not go well" when he NARM'd off the bed. :)

Edited by Hannah Lee
  • Love 2

The whole situation with Athena and her husband bugs me.   Whatever they decide to do with their relationship is fine.  But the way they were handling it was not OK for the kids.  The tension between was creating a horrible environment, thank goodness the kids had the sense to tell them to knock it off. 

But Dear Hubby wanting to bring his new squeeze around?  No No No! 

Yeah, I understand him being excited about embracing and exploring his true self, but that does not mean you bring every new love interest into your kids lives.  That's like divorce/separation 101.  It's fine if your kids know you're dating people, but they do not have to build a relationship with people you're just starting to build a relationship with.  You're newly separated, how do you know what kind of person you're going to want to be with in the long term?  How do you even know you want to be with anyone for the long term, you just are getting out of a 10-15 year relationship?  Leave your kids out of it so they are not getting attached/dealing with someone who maybe won't be in the picture in a few months.   Oh, and while you're at it, don't also insist that you're spouse and former romantic partner has to be all chummy with your new sweetie.  She can be happy for you and support you without having to share "aren't we all just one big happy family!" pancakes with every new squeeze of yours.   Have a little compassion for her heart man, since you just broke it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Bluedog100 said:

First time watcher and only caught half. Can someone please give me a brief explanation about the fire that caused 150 deaths? And I assume lion taunter was fatally mauled? Many thanks!

Bobby had a family and they lived in an apartment building.  He was a drinker and would sneak off to another vacant apartment in the building to drink.  One night he left the apartment where he'd been drinking and left the space heater on and it caught fire (I think it was the space heater, but someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Also, the building itself wasn't up to code, which meant that it very quickly went up in flames, but the point was that he left the space heater unattended.  So, it killed his wife and kids (I think there were two kids) and just about everyone else in the building.  I don't know if anyone survived.  So he's been dealing with guilt and that's why he kept a book where he entered names of people he saved to get to the number killed in the fire (I think it was 148).  But now he has "miracle blood" that can save babies so I guess we're supposed to be rooting for him, but I'm not there yet.

I do think the lion taunter was killed. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

So, it killed his wife and kids (I think there were two kids) and just about everyone else in the building.  I don't know if anyone survived.  So he's been dealing with guilt and that's why he kept a book where he entered names of people he saved to get to the number killed in the fire (I think it was 148).  But now he has "miracle blood" that can save babies so I guess we're supposed to be rooting for him, but I'm not there yet.

As it remains really unclear if anyone official knows about Bobby's actions I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they will go back on this and it will be determined or revealed on the show that Bobby was not the cause but only believes that he is.  Good story for man pain but no one wants to live with that story. 

• Love 2