Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Gag Order

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Bull agrees to help Chunk’s daughter, Anna, when her journalism professor, Chloe, is sued by a dating app developer for trying to steal data for an exposé she’s writing about sexual assault cover-ups. But the stakes are raised when the company alleges that she actually stole proprietary information and intended to sell it to a competitor.

You know, for a show about jury selection “science” there really isn’t all that much. (Yes, I know there was a reason given — closed court.)  Still, it seems this show has become not much more than an updated Perry Mason. And if Michael Weatherly keeps gaining weight, then Raymond Burr may come back to life.

At least, Bull wasn’t overly-arrogant.

And Cable’s back. Gee, I didn’t see that coming.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

And Cable’s back. Gee, I didn’t see that coming.

Just because she's irreplaceable and continues to appear in every episode?

When the judge couldn't shut Benny up until he got his point across to the jury, why didn't the other attorney ask for a mistrial? Oh, that's right, on TV there are no mistrials and no appeals.

I was expecting some more sinister motive for the company's elaborate scheme to gag the journalist.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Why is Bull allowed to stand up and address the judge?  He is not a lawyer. That is not allowed IRL. 

He responds, toungue in cheek: He’s allowed to speak because it allows him to save the day. After all, the show is called Bull, not Benny. Remember these things when you go to law school.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

He responds, toungue in cheek: He’s allowed to speak because it allows him to save the day. After all, the show is called Bull, not Benny. Remember these things when you go to law school.

Yeah, I'm only asking rhetorically, as you probably guessed.  I know the show is set in fantasyland.  You also can't sit there with an earpiece on and communicate with someone in another location during a trial! 

I keep wondering if I'm missing something, though--like he actually is a lawyer too?  I have not watched the show from the beginning.  I've already been to law school, BTW.  There are other lawyer shows that I cannot watch at all, they're even more annoying than this one. 

• Love 1

Chunk/Anna:  Why the hell would he want to become SuperDaddy after 18 years?  Why would he expect that she'd be amenable to such an idea?  From her perspective, he is only an animated Turkey-Baster -- nothing to get emotional about.  Boring.  Let's not hear any more about it, OK?

13 hours ago, JackONeill said:

Gee, I didn’t see that coming.

A surprise twist!

• Love 3

They gave Bull some good lines this time around : "Has anyone ever told you that you were a genius? Because it is a great feeling if it ever happens. "

"Don't worry about your name  .. the person you are replacing was named after wire and we have someone named after a type of peanut butter. "

But come on, show. The entire episode was framed by Chunk's niece/daughter visiting NY to check out a college. The investigative reporter went from being arrested to jury selection to trial and to resolution by the time niece/daughter was on her way back home. Wow.

And Cable is back .. in a very anticlimactic conclusion. You would think a company like Bull's, with all the computers blinking in the background, there would be a few more IT employees who could step in when someone is not available. 

And Benny appears to have a routine : saying what he wants,  then apologizing to the judge .. then later flirting with being held in contempt. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

Cable is back? What a surprise! As if we couldn't have seen that Replacement Cable would need something only Cable v1.0 would be able to do because reasons.... they are so full of twists and turns on this show.

Ahem. Anyway. I'm liking this Chunk/Anna thing because Chris Jackson, but I feel like it came out of nowhere and is shoehorned in for no reason that I've been able to determine. We went from "Wait, did he say that this girl is his kid?" to her calling him Dad and possibly moving to NYU pretty abruptly.

The dialogue was good tonight. Best lines already mentioned. I know that a mistrial would not make good TV but one of these days they really should put one in for Benny's contempt of court flirtations. I'm sure that lawyers go as close to the edge as they can, since the trope of "The jury will disregard that" / "Yeah, but they still heard it" is probably pretty close to reality.

Have we even seen much of a mirror jury other than Marissa saying "We're all red / green" while looking at the screen, in about the last 10 eps? I'm guessing their test panels didn't like it. I do think the show being more about 8 seconds of voir dire and Bull's team being the only ones who know how to investigate IMO, makes a more interesting TV show than a thousand reduxes of "I like chai tea lattes and watching snowboarding" "I like chai tea lattes and watching snowboarding" being passed as people who will give them an idea of how the jurors will go. But I also wonder how the original Dr. Phil as trial scientist actually went.

12 minutes ago, JessDVD said:

I feel like it came out of nowhere and is shoehorned in for no reason that I've been able to determine.

Chunk started off as a sort of nearly-nothing character.  And (as far as I am concerned) not nearly nearly enough. 

He then went, suddenly, unexpectedly, from the guy who helped them pick out their waistcoats, to a lawyer in the making.

Now, he has an instantly manufactured family in the shape of a near-adult daughter, with lots of draaaama attached.

It's obvious that he is being ret-conned from a nobody, into a somebody.  How unfortunate!

I completely understand the daughter being a bit standoff-ish.  It has got to be confusing for her.  Heck, it's confusing for me!  I mean, it is nice Chunk wants to connect with her and be a part of her life.  But I also get she also wants to be loyal to her dad that she knew -- the one who helped raise her for all those years.  It just seemed to be bit awkward to me to see them be so much of the storyline that night. 

Glad to see Cable back.  Even if it was pretty anti-climatic.  Wonder if we'll ever see drone-coffeegetter-nerd guy again.

I don’t remember if the daughter had a dad figure in her life besides Chunk. Usually I forget side plots like that pretty quickly.  However, it sounds like Chunk was there pretty often( as often as he was allowed).  They actually told her because she wanted to come to New York for school and that way she could lean on Chunk for support, right? 

These shows always condense arrest to trial into two days or so. Truth is, this one would have been months and all the facts would have been known by jury selection. 

I’m glad Cable is back - but still annoyed at the unnecessary character damage. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Finally saw this episode and I have to agree with others... The "crime" is committed, the case is investigated, the case is tried and the jury comes back with their verdict all in the span of a high school girl's visit to a college she wants to attend?

Come on, Show!  We are not the stupid, nor can we suspended reality THAT far! 

I feel like the show thinks we are dumb.  Honestly, I don't even care about the Chunk daughter storyline enough to even try and fudge the timeline.  It added nothing except a reason to accept the case.  It would've been better for them to have that last conversation on the phone or FaceTime. Ridiculous!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Yes, right at the end.  Bull went to her house, and tripped her up with a question about decrypting the hard drive, and then offered her job back.  She had on nice pajamas, though.

Thanks @Dowel Jones!

I would have thought the team would have gone first to the women who made the complaints in the first place.  They would validate what the journalist claimed her story was about.  So, far from implying that Marissa was a genius, they should have been calling themselves dummies.

I'm glad Cable is back, just so there is no more drama about her coming back.  Hope they keep the new IT guy.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2018 at 12:18 PM, Netfoot said:

Chunk started off as a sort of nearly-nothing character.  And (as far as I am concerned) not nearly nearly enough. 

He then went, suddenly, unexpectedly, from the guy who helped them pick out their waistcoats, to a lawyer in the making.

Now, he has an instantly manufactured family in the shape of a near-adult daughter, with lots of draaaama attached.

It's obvious that he is being ret-conned from a nobody, into a somebody.  How unfortunate!

When we were first introduced to Chunk, weren't we told he had been a college football star who had his NFL career cut short or something like that? And having cast such a high profile person as Chris Jackson points to the producers having a character arc planned for him from the start. So he always was a somebody, just hiding as a nobody for a while.

• Love 3

i was more confused when Chuck  said he was dating the mum in college and got her pregnant, as i assumed it was a friend doing a friend a favour via being a donor. Does the daughter know he is gay? Not that it matters of course but one assumed she did as she has known him as mum's friend for years and she didn't seem to say "EWWW You slept with MOM?????"