Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Jazzaguy

• Start Topic

Stevie telling David that she knows everything about him and his family but she's still around was the most emotionally honest she has ever been (at least in a nice way - I'm pretty sure she's been pretty emotionally honest with her annoyance at people).

I was surprised that David took the honeymoon dinner so well. That is the kind of thing he would have hated even on a good day!

Ha, of course Ray is on Bumpkin with multiple accounts.

• Love 12

Patrick is the kind of guy that marks every month’s  “anniversary” with a gift. OF COURSE he sent a “thinking of you” card. 

I was amused to see the “spa in Elmdale” actually exists. 

• Love 5

How many spa hotels and similar treat yoself businesses are there in the area that Stevie can develop a habit of using the honeymoon trick? Does she spread her visits to each one just far enough apart that they won't remember her or she can just be like "this is marriage #5!"? The host was so cringe-inducing. It was hilarious. And Stevie and David's sincere bonding was very sweet. I love that David and Patrick have actually been texting. I thought from the beginning that starting a new romance and a new business partnership with the same person at the same time was very risky, but they seem like they'll be fine. It seems to be slooooowly sinking in for David that Patrick isn't the same sort of awful person he's used to dating, and he can be more open and trusting. Because, really. They hadn't seen the need to discuss their histories in any detail, and Patrick and Rachel were very much not still together, her delusions of reconciliation notwithstanding.

I wish Alexis would focus less on her love life and more on the improvements to the motel. I imagine they'll eventually turn it into a very chic, Rose-style black-and-white modern little boutique inn. Maybe with a spa, since Stevie loves them? The first thing I'd do is throw all the decor from the lobby into the dumpster.

Spoiler

I have a deep distrust of Ray since his attempted coup on The Magicians. Maybe that's how he got such a nice bathroom.

Edited by Enginerd
spoiler for another show
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode. It's been slow and steady progress in how the Roses are starting to open up to each other and to relationships with others within the community, and vice versa.  This episode especially showed this dynamic.  Moira realizing how much she looked forward to (limited) time with her Jazzergal friends and how she effectively communicated that to her husband.  David and Stevie opening up to each other, etc.  This combined with a sense of permanence or acceptance as demonstrated by David's business and the Rosebud Motel.  

I may, or may not, have had a few tears in my eyes during various scenes of this episode.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

A lot of comedies rely on miscommunications and misunderstandings and people not managing to get out one sentence or not letting the other person talk and dragging this out as long and as far as possible to generate conflict and story. I like that SC doesn't do that much. Moira not wanting Johnny to join the Jazzagals might have been used as a reason for him to get mad and think she doesn't want him around, but she was able to clearly say that she has so few things she enjoys (Jazzagals, time with Johnny) that she doesn't want to efficiently bunch them together, she wants to have each separate thing to look forward to and enjoy. Although I do think Moira needs to start finding more to occupy herself and maybe contribute economically.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Enginerd said:

A lot of comedies rely on miscommunications and misunderstandings and people not managing to get out one sentence or not letting the other person talk and dragging this out as long and as far as possible to generate conflict and story. I like that SC doesn't do that much. Moira not wanting Johnny to join the Jazzagals might have been used as a reason for him to get mad and think she doesn't want him around, but she was able to clearly say that she has so few things she enjoys (Jazzagals, time with Johnny) that she doesn't want to efficiently bunch them together, she wants to have each separate thing to look forward to and enjoy.

Wow, what a great observation!

• Love 4
On 3/16/2018 at 1:13 PM, Enginerd said:

How many spa hotels and similar treat yoself businesses are there in the area that Stevie can develop a habit of using the honeymoon trick? Does she spread her visits to each one just far enough apart that they won't remember her or she can just be like "this is marriage #5!"

This question is typical of people who don't understand small town life. You don't actual stay and do everything in your town; people have cars and go out of town regularly. 

If Stevie is staying overnight at these spas, they could be a couple hours drive away. There are hundreds of spas within. A two hour drive of my small town. I found that plot point realistic (within the confines of this show).

• Love 3