Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: The Wedding

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Pallas said:

Deja has dealt with a lot that the Pearsons know of, and more that they all need to handle. She is a thoughtful, empathetic, devoted child who assumes responsibility for the people around her: the opposite of a bully or a batterer. She is someone adults confide in, even when they may think they are speaking for her benefit. She's an old soul, god help her. Not one to be thrown away when she finally feels the pain of her own life. 

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better.  She is seeming to be a polarizing character, much more than I ever would have thought.  She is a child, at the mercy of adults who have done her some major disservices, and that she would struggle and act out after her mother has set her adrift doesn't mean she should be sent to a juvenile facility at the first sign of a problem.  It should not have come as any surprise to Randall and Beth.  Beth, who is pretty intuitive and has experienced her cousin go through something similar.  Much has been made in the media recently of ACE, Adverse Childhood Events, and how they affect children going into adulthood.  Deja would rank pretty high on the scale.  She needs help, not more adversity. 

18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Kevin and ... now I forget her name... looked happy on the airplane, and looking at the photo they were holding. I took that as a hint that whatever they were doing, it was a happy thing. That's why I ruled out something like investigating an atrocity, or claiming the bones of Uncle Nicky.

They could still come upon evidence of just about anything once they get there.  Whatever they are expecting to do, I think going to a place where your father fought and your uncle died would be pretty sobering to begin with; maybe they are just happy to be together. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

They were looking at a pic?  I bet they're going there to adopt a local orphan.  

We saw the photo, and it was the one of Jack in Vietnam with his buddies, not of a child.

• Love 2

Finally got a chance to comment.  

LOVED:
- Kevin the Wedding Planner and Randall his able-bodied assistant.  Kevin was in "go" mode the entire time.  We rarely get to see that level of competency in him and yet I think we all knew he had it in him. He's a Pearson.  
- Kate's wedding dress.  AWESOME.  
- Kate's conversation w/her Dad.
- Beth's cousin & Kevin.  I don't know if Sophie is gone for good, but I like Kevin finding a meaningful relationship OUTSIDE of Sophie.  I don't think he ever had one before.  
- Randall doing the gifts bags.  You KNOW they were perfect.
- Kate & Rebecca's conversation.
- Kate giving Toby the Leslie Neilson tie.  PERFECT.
- Deja honey, you've been wronged.  And I have no problem with you acting out.  And I know WHY it's Randall's car (you want your Mom, not a car).  I love Deja's story and I have great hopes that Randall & Beth will help her through it.

COMPELLING BUT NOPE:
- Kevin, awesome speech.  Should have been at the Rehearsal dinner, not the wedding toast.  
- Toby's parents. Good to see you agreed on something.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

FUTURECAST:
- I think they are looking for Nicky's remains.  He's probably a POW/MIA.  And Kevin is going to use his money to do something for his Dad. He's going to go find his Dad's brother and bring his body home.  
- First I assumed Toby had cancer. But the lack of IV's or other medical stuff indicates it's depression IMO.  I think absolutely NO ONE will be surprised if Toby turns out to be a manic depressive and his meds stop working.  And I imagine Kate knew this before getting married.
- Who Tess and Randall are psyching themselves up to go "see" has too many scary "worst case scenarios" attached to it.  I think I'll just NOPE by mind out of this one and see what happens.  

• Love 6
On 3/18/2018 at 10:08 AM, Clanstarling said:

I thought Jack's brother gave him the necklace?

I think Jack told Kevin it had been given to him by someone "wise" and something else that didn't sound like it was necessarily his younger brother. A possibility, anyway.

ETA: According to the article  @biakbiak found and linked to on the page above, Jack said "someone very special" who gave it to him "at a very hopeless time in my life."  At this point (we now know) the kids knew about Nicky and his death.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Randall and Tess are obviously going to visit Beth in the slammer. She finally snapped at how perfect Randall is and tried to kill him. Not that I can blame her. 

Snapped under the crushing weight of the Big Three and smothered by the memory of St. Jack.

• Love 5
On 18/03/2018 at 10:56 AM, Pallas said:

I agree completely. Deja was shown striking the windshield only. Windshields can be replaced on-site, by a truck that pulls up, pops out the old and replaces it with the new in 15 minutes, for the cost of the deductible -- ranging from $0 - $250 -- on glass coverage. (Would Deja know that? I wager she would: Deja handled her mother's paying of the bills, and glass coverage matters in a neighborhood where people park overnight on the street. Did she care, at the time? Maybe; maybe not.) 

More to the point, Deja is not a stranger to Beth, Randall, Tess or Annie. They know her to be a 13-year-old who has looked after her mother most of her life; who brought her own money to give to her mother when visiting her in jail; who risks struggling to achieve in the middle of her life's complete disruption, and as the new black foster girl from Newark within an elite public school with very few black students; who was beaten by an adult male at her first foster home but eventually got through to an over-eager Randall about how to "be" around her; who acted out only upon herself, and in ways that left no lasting mark; who won their love as well as their regard, and their regard as well as their love.

Where was Deja. At someone else's family wedding held outdoors at a cabin in the woods, a legacy of her foster family's Great White Father. A man more honored in death than anyone in attendance. A gathering that underscores just how much her "fancy car, big house" foster family has nothing in common with her and more, with the mother she loves and the father she doesn't know. The father of the bride, the Manny and Deja's foster father has been dead since Deja's mother was nine years old. They're the ones who need to go to court and sever their relationship! 

Deja found the bat at the shrine of dead Jack's relics back at the house, where she ended up after Toby's mother's comment, "You're the image of your father."  That blow struck four bruises, one on the surface and the other three below: "Randall Pearson's not my father,"  "I don't know my father;" and "That's what I'm afraid of," along with its mute twin, "You think so?" When you're furious at Apollo for being Zeus's son and not your father, and Zeus's thunderbolt is laid out right in front of you, why not grab it and hurl it at Apollo's chariot?

Deja has dealt with a lot that the Pearsons know of, and more that they all need to handle. She is a thoughtful, empathetic, devoted child who assumes responsibility for the people around her: the opposite of a bully or a batterer. She is someone adults confide in, even when they may think they are speaking for her benefit. She's an old soul, god help her. Not one to be thrown away when she finally feels the pain of her own life. 

Best post ever. I wish I could adopt someone like Deja and be able to help her heal. I hope Randall and Beth are strong enough to be her real parents.

To everyone who liked my post: good to know I'm not the only one suffering in the face of so much prejudice. I can't believe some of the things I read these days...

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 6
On 3/18/2018 at 9:07 PM, SueB said:

FUTURECAST:
- I think they are looking for Nicky's remains.  He's probably a POW/MIA.  And Kevin is going to use his money to do something for his Dad. He's going to go find his Dad's brother and bring his body home.  
- First I assumed Toby had cancer. But the lack of IV's or other medical stuff indicates it's depression IMO.  I think absolutely NO ONE will be surprised if Toby turns out to be a manic depressive and his meds stop working.  And I imagine Kate knew this before getting married.
- Who Tess and Randall are psyching themselves up to go "see" has too many scary "worst case scenarios" attached to it.  I think I'll just NOPE by mind out of this one and see what happens.  

Don't need to have an IV or medical stuff for cancer - Toblerone could just be lying in bed feeling like crap from treatment and the doctor is going to adjust his meds to help him feel better..

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bros402 said:

Don't need to have an IV or medical stuff for cancer - Toblerone could just be lying in bed feeling like crap from treatment and the doctor is going to adjust his meds to help him feel better..

There could be any number of things that could be wrong with Toby. But since the episode included his parents specifically calling out his depression (not sure if they used the word), it seemed to me like that was foreshadowing, and Toby is indeed suffering from depression or bi-polar disorder.

• Love 5

These people need to get over Jack’s death already. It’s been twenty years. Move on with your lives. Get therapy. He’s not coming back and you’re treating the other people in your lives like they’re not important to you. 

Oh, and I hate KaToby. 

• Love 6

I know it won't happen , but my soap opera thoughts keep wondering if jack will somehow end up being alive . It obviously isn't gonna happen , but a girl can dream . 

Holy moly deja is annoying . I get that she's a teenager who's been hurt by her mother countless times , but I just don't care about her story line at all. These people chose you ... a few times over already . They aren't only providing a home for you , but are also providing a lot of love and have shown that they care about you time after time .. so the answer to that is obviously to smash Randall's car ... 

Although I'm also thinking she's actually smashing her mothers car for abandoning her and we are just Led to believe it's Randall's . 

26 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I know it won't happen , but my soap opera thoughts keep wondering if jack will somehow end up being alive . It obviously isn't gonna happen , but a girl can dream . 

Holy moly deja is annoying . I get that she's a teenager who's been hurt by her mother countless times , but I just don't care about her story line at all. These people chose you ... a few times over already . They aren't only providing a home for you , but are also providing a lot of love and have shown that they care about you time after time .. so the answer to that is obviously to smash Randall's car ... 

Although I'm also thinking she's actually smashing her mothers car for abandoning her and we are just Led to believe it's Randall's . 

But her mom isn't at the wedding - or anywhere near it.  She's still wearing the dress she wore to the wedding.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

It was most definitely Randalls's car, it was clearly at the cabin (which is in PA) and you could see the Mercedes hood ornament.

• Love 3

I was glad to see Miguel dancing with Kate at the wedding.  I felt so sorry for him when he was talking about dressing in brown and pretending to be one of the trees.  He was a good friend to Jack and didn't connect with Rebecca until years after Jack's death.  If it were my mom, I hope I would be happy that she found love again, and not think that my dad had been replaced.

The one thing that was very true to life was the over the top, all about me, way too long wedding toast.  The last couple weddings I've been to, the toasts have been ridiculous.  At my nephew's wedding, his father in law rambled on for more than 10 minutes and then turned the mic over to his asshat son who talked about HIMSELF for another 10 minutes. Whatever happened to getting up and saying just a few words:  "I've known Groom for 15 years and was so happy when Bride came into his life, because together they are an amazing couple.  I wish them long life, good health and every happiness.  Let's lift our glasses to Groom & Bride."  If one of them has lost a parent, something can be said about it, but briefly.  

I liked that Kate carried one of Jack's tools.  I have a friend who had lost her mom and she had a small locket with her mom's picture as part of her wedding bouquet.  

• Love 6
On 3/15/2018 at 1:34 PM, 3 is enough said:

I vaguely remember this, but maybe Chrissy was unable or ultimately unwilling to have the surgery .  Also, I can't imagine that a contract requiring weight loss or surgery to attain it could be legal. Maybe someone with legal expertise could weigh in on this.

Someone linked an article about gastric bypass and the strict diet you have to go on before you get the surgery. The participants had to lose something like 50 pounds before they would be cleared for surgery because of the doctors making sure that they could live with the highly restricted diet post surgery. I think it is Chrissy's choice for what is best for her.

I have commented on another show about how I am glad the writers did not go with the old trope of putting a slender actress in a fat suit (Monica on Friends, Daphne on Fraiser, Betty Draper on Mad Men) and then have her "miraculously lose the weight" by taking said fat suit off along with lots of insensitive jokes about how awful that person's life was when they were fat and of course the character never has weight issues again. I actually think it is a passive way to fat shame (look at our thin actress who never regains back her "weight"...so what is wrong with you).

I appreciate that this show actually had the balls to hire an attractive actress with real weight issues. There is not a magical fat suit that will just come off to reveal a thin frame. Chrissy might lose the weight or she might stay the same. It really could be the first time that this type of thing is being portrayed in a realistic manner.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:23 PM, Violetgoblin6 said:

Absolutely. When I was 11, back in 1985, we had Deja (an abandoned female family member, older than my siblings and me) and it was horrible. She was a total loose cannon, cut my face with a  butter knife, kicked me in the stomach, and threw me in the closet. We were a great family with two girls, 11 and 8, and a two year old boy. She really put us through the ringer. Last night my mom and I were freaking out watching Deja. She totally has to go. But as my mom said, Randall got what he wanted and now he's dearly paying for it. 

On 3/15/2018 at 11:54 PM, DakotaLavender said:

I am all for trying to help troubled kids. But, when the child you bring into your home is not grateful and behaves in serious ways to impact your own children and family, she has to go. You do not sacrifice the well being of your family's peace, quiet, and serenity and create chaos and think it will all be OK. She cut her own hair, well OK. She took a bat to his expensive car! THAT is not OK. Deja is a disturbed child who needs round the clock supervision, which love apparently will not cure.  

On 3/16/2018 at 10:03 AM, MsChicklet said:

A lot to unpack from this episode.

When it was discovered Jack's shirt wasn't there, why didn't Kevin offer up the pendant? Although Kate carrying a screwdriver down the aisle was awesome.

The way they inserted Old Jack was much better than what was speculated. Yeah, it was fan service. But it was done in a way that allowed Kate to move on a bit.

Kate has shown more growth than she often gets credit for. She has opened herself up to friendship with Madison. She got over herself and brought Audio home to make Toby happy. She was able to let Jack go a bit to make room for Toby. And what she said to Rebecca ... it's what so many moms would love to hear.

Jack's ashes are scattered at two trees. Kind of fitting as he, by breaking away from his family, created the roots of a new family tree with Rebecca.

This Deja thing is getting dark. Kid's life has been out of control for years, between Shawna's fecklessness and being shuttled from one bad foster home to another before landing with Randall and Beth. Now, she doesn't even have say over who her parents are. I don't understand why Shawna jumped straight from letting Randall and Beth be some kind of fosters/guardians to terminating her parental rights.  This is years worth of hurt, fear and anger erupting.

I liked Kevin this episode. His focused wedding planner scenes. Those scenes with Randall in the car (the two of them going nuts for the ice cream, the Worst Case Scenario game) were great and showed the brotherly rapport that had been missing. Not going for Madison. Also ... Kevin and Zoe!

Poor Toby. His brother can't be bothered to come to his wedding. His parents drop their ish on him just an hour or so before the wedding. They had months to express their concerns. And it looks like he's headed for a major depressive episode they will probably blame on Kate.

I was really hoping Madison was going to give out Toblerones as wedding favors.

My guess is that Kevin's war movie with Sly, and now the shared bond of addiction he has with Jack, inspires him to find out more about his dad and Nicky. That side of the family was pretty much a closed door. Nicky died before the kids were born, Jack shut his dad out of their lives, and it doesn't sound like his mother was around, either.

On 3/16/2018 at 2:52 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

For me, I think we saw enough of Shauna to presume that while Deja looking so happy and at home with the Pearson's was a factor in deciding to leave, her own selfish needs are the bigger part. She already put attending to her loser boyfriend over her daughter - to the extent that they lost their home. From the jump she was willing to leave her home alone to be with a man. She knew she was cooking a birthday dinner for her that they planned that morning, and clearly blew it off to go have a drink with her co-workers. I 100% believe that GG shamed/talked her into keeping the baby, and while I believe that she loves her, she is selfish and immature. She saw a chance to have the freedom she was denied as a 16 year old girl, and she took it. JMO and all that.

I was really annoyed with Deja at first, but I think I am getting it now. It might be hard to believe, but Deja WANTED to stay with her mother. Randall's family might be perfect but it is not what she would have chosen. She did not want to be adopted into that clan, she liked living with her mother, despite all the problems. 

I think Deja's grandma did Shawna a great disservice by forcing her to keep a baby at an age where she was clearly not ready to be a mother. I am a woman of color and know that it is hard to place children of color, but the younger they are the more likely it is to happen. I think they could have found a good family for baby Deja.

Deja is feeling Shawna's rejection and having to stay with the Pearsons, something she never wanted, despite their perfectness. Some part of her is not very surprised that Shawna gave up her rights it still hurt her dearly.  She is an open wound and anger is the only thing that feels good. She probably feels like Randall betrayed her in a warped manner.

Randall and Beth are not equipped to handle this alone and I hope they get Deja the necessary therapy in order for her to accept the transition.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 7
On 3/13/2018 at 10:03 PM, mojoween said:

I know Kevin said he didn’t feel better but I thought that his and Randall’s Worst Case Scenarios were hilarious.  Dark, but hilarious. Her flash forward was sad though.  I loved Kevin’s, I’m a sucker for a forehead kiss (not so much a toast though).

I've never been a Kevin fan but I totally guffawed.  I think it was "And people come into the store and mistake us for husband and wife, and we don't even bother to correct them anymore...."  Oh my god.  The writing and delivery was hysterical.

On 3/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, Bluedog100 said:

I need a break from these people. But who else recognized ice cream guy from Season 6 American Idol top ten finalists???

Thank youuuuuuuuu for confirming!  Me!!!!!

The flashforwards are getting very LOST-y.  There's nothing "wrong" that that I guess, but it's funny to be reminded of that show.  Everyone on THAT show had major father issues, too.  I guess I "liked" this season.  It can never be Season 1 again.  I wonder how I'll feel about Season 3.  That is usually when I end up giving up on a show.  I mean shows like these on major networks these days.  They rarely keep up their level of quality from S1 and the best writers usually move onto other projects.  We'll see.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 3/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, ShadowFacts said:

That part of the game was hilarious.  In fact, I enjoyed Kevin more in this episode than I ever have, up until the cringeworthy toast.  The sentiments about the exhale were good, but for in private, not at Kate's wedding.  Regardless, I really liked Kevin, surprising myself.  He has grown on me.  

I will begrudgingly admit I've been totally fine with him these episodes ever since "Kevin's major episode" which I was NOT a fan of.  He works best when he's not given too much of a role on the show because when he IS given one, it's basically "Wah wah wah being an extremely hot movie actor sucks" and it's nOT interesting.  Kevin and Randall being friends = good.

Also, child Kevin trying to make chicken and whining after fucking it up really made me laugh.  (Few episodes ago)

• Love 3
On 3/17/2018 at 8:53 PM, possibilities said:

Kevin and ... now I forget her name... looked happy on the airplane, and looking at the photo they were holding. I took that as a hint that whatever they were doing, it was a happy thing. That's why I ruled out something like investigating an atrocity, or claiming the bones of Uncle Nicky.

Did you mean to make me laugh so much when you wrote this?!

• Love 2

I had mixed feelings about this episode.  

First, the good:

- This is some of the best acting we've seen from Chrissy Metz, and she was wonderful.  I was hating the fantasy sequences of old Jack and Rebecca renewing their vows ... until Kate explained that was her recurring dream.  I really liked seeing Kate acknowledge she needed to let go of Jack and work through it on her own, and also the sweet things she said to her mother.  

- Toby telling his parents to get out of his room ... "well, help me fix my cuff link, and then get out."  I actually think they had valid concerns based on their limited knowledge of Kate and based on Toby's past depression, but waiting until the wedding day to bring it up?!  

- Kevin and Randall working together on the wedding, and admitting to each other that they each felt they'd failed Kate in some way over the years.  Their game of "what if" in the car was both sad and funny.   

- Rebecca and Miguel talking in their bedroom about feeling somewhat unwanted at Kate's wedding.  I loved this scene because we rarely get to see these two alone.  It's a nice reminder that, as much as everyone idolizes Jack and what he had with Rebecca, her second marriage is also solid.

The bad:

- I didn't need the flash forward scenes.  The wedding is already bittersweet because Jack isn't there.  Why does the show have to bring me down with "coming attractions" of sadness?!

- I've been giving the show credit for handling the Deja storyline well, and for picking a great child actor to pull it off.  So far they handled Deja's understandable anger with subtlety and tact.  But Deja destroying Randall's car in the middle of the wedding was just over the top ... and unrealistic.  Even if nobody heard the glass breaking (unlikely), a very loud car alarm would've been going off like crazy!     

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 5

I don't like the "future" episodes because although they can change who plays the character when they age, the person can leave or the show goes off the air.  Does it really matter? Am I in the minority that I don't want to know if someone dies or is sick 20 years from now, why have even "what ifs" hanging over present day characters, some fans looking for clues of impending doom or illness? Maybe if it was the last season, but it just seems like teasers they don't really need.  Do they want a soap opera hang-on or do they want just a really good drama.

There is enough past to figure out and too many variables on what the characters or show might do in the next year or so.  I hope Fogleman leaves it more the way it was.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

- I didn't need the flash forward scenes.  The wedding is already bittersweet because Jack isn't there.  Why does the show have to bring me down with "coming attractions" of sadness?!

I don't mind the flash-forward scenes. I kind of like that kind of story line, and the acknowledgement that this is life - it has it's ups and downs. I think they would have nailed it if the flash forwards completely mirrored the marriage vows (for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer). They came close, but no cigar.

• Love 2

I think the flash in this episode should have stopped at Toby in crisis in the near future, staying with the wedding/marriage theme.  The rest was out of place to me.  Yeah, Kevin met Zoe for the first time, and maybe Deja smashing the windshield relates to who Randall and Tess have to go see, but keeping it to Kate and Toby would sit better with me.  They could have done interesting dialog at the wedding between any number of characters and I would have liked that more.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I think the flash in this episode should have stopped at Toby in crisis in the near future, staying with the wedding/marriage theme.  The rest was out of place to me.  Yeah, Kevin met Zoe for the first time, and maybe Deja smashing the windshield relates to who Randall and Tess have to go see, but keeping it to Kate and Toby would sit better with me.  They could have done interesting dialog at the wedding between any number of characters and I would have liked that more.

That's how I feel, coming attractions is not like flash forward 20 years.  You also lock yourself into certain things you might want to change later.  I love the show but honestly don't care who Tess needs to see, why have that hanging over people who are 10-20 years younger? Let Tess be a kid now and have us watch her grow up and not see her already grown up. I liked the short scene with her but I'm glad Fogleman said there will be less of it next year.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, debraran said:

That's how I feel, coming attractions is not like flash forward 20 years.  You also lock yourself into certain things you might want to change later.  I love the show but honestly don't care who Tess needs to see, why have that hanging over people who are 10-20 years younger? Let Tess be a kid now and have us watch her grow up and not see her already grown up. I liked the short scene with her but I'm glad Fogleman said there will be less of it next year.

I read a lot of novels which use that format. I personally like the juxtaposition of the "present" and how those decisions inform the future, just as much as I like flashbacks that show how the past informs the present.  Granted, on a television show there are variables, that don't exist in a novel, that might impact how your show will play out. But if the writers have planned on possible disruption then they will have plan B's and C's - as JMS did so brilliantly for Babylon 5.

• Love 2
On 3/16/2018 at 10:39 AM, ChromaKelly said:

I find it very unrealistic that Deja's mother would give up her rights like that. Unless she's looking at it like wow, my daughter is going to have all these opportunities that she'll never have with me. In that case, I would hope a social worker would talk her out of it. She is not abusive, not neglectful, just someone who makes poor choices and with some guidance, could be doing more with herself. It would have been much better if Randall and Beth had set them up in one of their apartments and helped Shauna get some life skills, and took on more of a kindly aunt and uncle role in her life. So yeah, Deja is angry as hell that her mother is abandoning her at age 12-13. Going to this wedding of her family/not family is probably bringing out all kinds of emotions, and then that resemblance comment on top of all of it. I am an adoptive mom, and my son always gets anxiety before large family events. It makes it even more evident that he is not born in this family and looks like no one. He finally got to see some pictures of biological family and was amazed that there are people who resemble him. 

Giving Deja up may be the only responsible thing she ever did. So what does Deja's life look like while Shauna is building her own? The best schools in Newark are the charter schools my nieces went to and Shauna can't afford that. 

Why should Randall and Beth teach another adult how to adult instead of teaching the child? I mean it's a nice thought but not realistic at all. Shauna had a free place to live when GG was alive and Shauna fucked off and left Deja alone. Some women aren't meant to be parents. Not everyone has a happy childhood. Not every story has a happy ending.

21 hours ago, Katy M said:

I thought charter schools were free.  

They are where I live and I saw this online :

Are charter schools free to attend?

Charters schools are public schools. They are non-sectarian, tuition-free and open to any student who wishes to attend. Charter schools allow parents, teachers and the community to transform our public school system.

Magnet schools are also public. I'm not sure elsewhere if another type of alternative school is private but charter usually means free. My daughter works at one.

• Love 1

A lot of comments about the timing of Toby's parents expressing their concerns.  However, I think that having witnessed Toby trying to express out Jack's t-shirt (and he missed having dinner with them because of trying to find somebody to do that) finally convinced them to say something.  Unfortunately, the only time they then had was the morning of the wedding (as Toby was 'busy' the previous evening trying to resolve the t-shirt crisis).  So, I don't think there is any blame in their timing-the t-shirt fiasco was the final event that compelled them to say something.  And, after all of that they did attend the wedding and support their son.

With the addition of new characters (Deja...) and the flash-forwards that they showed during this episode I may bow out of the show with this finale.  Jack's story is complete-his family is finding their way and their happiness (well, until Randall sees his car [Deja]).  The show started as exploring the stories of the Pearsons, but now with the additional characters that they are introducing it feels like there will be multiple story lines that will be more than I want to follow.  Toby has a brother!  Beth has a cousin who is like a sister!  Deja!  I am a bit interested in the Vietnam story, but if I don't return, this episode was a nice concluding point.

• Love 2

I also may bow out. Maybe I'll wait until there are a few episodes in and watch a batch in one setting, which is easier when a show has lost its overall quality but still has some good moments. Or catch up the whole season if I'm sick. Based on the season overall and this last episode hinting at what is in store, I'm just not interested enough for this to be must see right away tv. In the past, when a show had stopped being must see tv for me, about half the time I didn't come back to it. 

• Love 1

I love this show. A LOT.

But the finale was a bit of slog, particular Kate's fantasy of Jack being alive and celebrating her parents' anniversary. I love Milo/Jack as well, but it would have resonated a lot more had they only shown an older Jack for just a moment, with Kate imagining him standing next to her, ready to walk her down the aisle and then he disappears.

I will still be all in for next season of course.

• Love 2

With the addition of new characters (Deja...) and the flash-forwards that they showed during this episode I may bow out of the show with this finale.  Jack's story is complete-his family is finding their way and their happiness (well, until Randall sees his car [Deja]).  The show started as exploring the stories of the Pearsons, but now with the additional characters that they are introducing it feels like there will be multiple story lines that will be more than I want to follow.  Toby has a brother!  Beth has a cousin who is like a sister!  Deja!  I am a bit interested in the Vietnam story, but if I don't return, this episode was a nice concluding point.

I don't mind seeing new characters being introduced in relationships with the Pearsons. We all have people coming in and out of our lives. New characters can give us new insights into the core characters. As for Jack, his story will never be complete just because his family seems to be moving on from the grieving aspect of his death. 

Taking my speculations on the Vietnam storyline to the appropriate thread.

• Love 3

I'll never leave this show. It's so personal to me. I don't care if the stories are realistic or not. I care about how they make me feel. And they make me feel a lot. Every single episode. In the last one, I felt every second of it. I'm still feeling it. In fact, the other day I told my therapist that I was coping better with the death of my father, which happened three months ago. I gave her many reasons for that. What I didn't say was that This is Us helped. A lot. This episode specially. All of Kate's dreams. The way Jack will always be alive. The way the whole family managed to say goodbye. When Kevin told me to exale, I did. And with every breath, I said goodbye again. So thank you, show. For bringing my father back, and for helping me say goodbye. 

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, maddie965 said:

I'll never leave this show. It's so personal to me. I don't care if the stories are realistic or not. I care about how they make me feel. And they make me feel a lot. Every single episode. In the last one, I felt every second of it. I'm still feeling it. In fact, the other day I told my therapist that I was coping better with the death of my father, which happened three months ago. I gave her many reasons for that. What I didn't say was that This is Us helped. A lot. This episode specially. All of Kate's dreams. The way Jack will always be alive. The way the whole family managed to say goodbye. When Kevin told me to exale, I did. And with every breath, I said goodbye again. So thank you, show. For bringing my father back, and for helping me say goodbye. 

I'm so sorry about your loss, Maddie. And happy that this show is helping you process it. I don't relate to the show in quite the same way, but I also respond to it because of the feelings and resonances it creates in me.

• Love 2

It took until last night for me to watch the last 2 episodes of the season.  I didn't like the wedding episode much at all.  I guess it is just setting up for next season and at this point I can take it or leave it.

Hey I've got a hard question. Does anybody know what's the name of that piece of music which comes right at the beginning of this episode? It repeats at some other parts of the episode too. It's such a wonderful and dreamy melody and has some nice piano in it. I just need to know what it's named!