Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: The Wedding

• Start Topic

Does anybody think the worse case scenarios may come true? Deja physically harms Beth and the younger daughter, maybe even murdered and the visit is to prison to see Deja for the first time since it happened? 

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, imhooked said:

Jack's hammer

I thought it was a screwdriver....I thought it was cute either way.  They could have (with forethought) have made it into the handle of the flowers, instead of on top.

• Love 7

What was that object in Kate's bouquet?  

I really enjoyed this episode.  I am so happy the show avoided the television show cliche of either the bride or groom winding up in jail, trapped in an elevator, or some other ridiculous unlikely scenario on wedding day.  What we saw, I would consider typical wedding day nervousness, so I didn't think the show got too outlandish.

I really loved the banter between Kevin and Randall.  I love that their relationship has evolved to the point they can joke and rely on one another.  I hope these good vibes continue because those two were the highlight of this episode for me.  I laughed out loud several times.

I'm not the biggest Ka-Toby fan, but the last couple of episodes began to change my opinion about them (which is that they are far too dependent on one another, and the whole relationship seems rushed and based on fear of being alone, rather than true desire for one another).  Now we see in just one year, Toby is having some sort of medical/emotional crisis, and now my heart is heavy.

Randall and Beth: their worst case scenario game had me laughing...like really laughing at its bleakness and honesty.  I would have had those same thoughts about Deja, I just wouldn't have the courage to say it out loud.  But I guess that's why R & B are such a lovely couple, because they can be dramatic and real at the same time.

Deja: please leave.  Lyric Ross is a wonderful actress, but I just don't really connect with her plight I guess...

• Love 13
Just now, Katy M said:

I think she knows there are consequences to your actions.  She knows that if you're careless and cut your hand on a can opener, you will be taken away from your mother.  She knows if you shoplift, you will be beaten.  She knows if you tell your social worker that you're being beaten, you will be separated from your sister-like friend.  She knows that if you get placed in a good home and act like you like it, your mother will sever her rights and abandon you to them.

This is a disingenuous comparison, IMO. Just because you are angry doesn't mean you have the right to do whatever the hell you want. Her vandalizing Randall's car is nothing like the examples you listed. Deja didn't cause any of those things.

• Love 16

The vow renewal dream was a bit cheesy, but I thought it was poignant that it was from Kate's perspective, not Rebecca's. Even though everyone has been "holding their breath" to some degree, Rebecca actually has moved on and found happiness. It's Kate who's been living in the past the most.

Kevin yelling at the caterers over the phone in the beginning seemed like a callback to Kate yelling about the balloons for William's fun-eral. Those two really are twins. I'm happy that Kevin and Randall were both there for Kate on her wedding day and didn't let any of their personal issues derail them.

I'm not condoning smashing the car, but I also really feel for Deja. Even when she was happy living with Randall and Beth the first time, her ultimate goal was always to be reunited with Shauna. For Shauna to just terminate her parental rights must have been the biggest slap in face. She essentially made it clear that being Deja's mother wasn't worth fighting for.

As for the flash-forward, I care much more about what happens with Kate and Toby in the near future than I do about Randall and Adult Tess 20 years from now. It's understandable that Toby was depressed after his marriage broke down, but what's going to make him depressed shortly after he marries Kate?

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't say she had the right, and I didn't say she shouldn't be punished.  But, I don't think this is the case of some entitled brat who doesn't think there are consequences because she has never suffered any.  She need therapy and a solution to her core problem of abandonment and feeling unloved, or all the discipline and punishment in the world isn't going to do anything.

Which is why I also said, "Deja needs to understand that there are consequences to her actions, and Beth and Randall need to get her into some anger management and/or therapy ASAP."

• Love 8

Gawd, at the end of tonight's episode, one of the smoke detectors in my house started beeping. How's that for irony?

I felt like this episode had a lot of unnecessary padding. I would be more excited for Kate and Toby if I actually liked Toby.

• Love 13

I loved Kevin as the wedding planner, especially when he was scolding Randall. 

I didn’t really feel the 40th anniversary renewal until Kate tied it in with her story. I did notice Kate dancing with Jack and Randall with Rebecca. Poor Kevin even left out in Kate’s dream!

Kate finally is getting over her dad’s death so give Toby health problems? No thank you.

If the worst case scenarios was foreshadowing and Deja kills Annie or Beth, I will be done with this show.

Overall, I liked it. But Deja drags down the show for me.

26 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

That said, it feels too coincidental that Beth never mentioned her cousin and their life similarities to Deja.  Or she did and I missed it.

Fair, but my parents did take in my cousin for several years during my childhood and I never (until this episode) saw that as something a foster kid could relate to. 

16 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I'm worried for future Annie! They're trying to trick us! 

Every time they said "her" in the future, the next present day scene would have the camera focused on Beth. I am not interested in Beth dying or being sick or hurt or institutionalized. I want everyone to be happy. What would 3 episodes of people enjoying each other look like? Give it a try. No ominous foreshadowing for 3 whole episodes. I think we could enjoy that break. The characters deserve to be happy. 

• Love 13

Oh and I laughed out loud at Randall and Kevin about Madison.

”she’s crazy.”

”yes”

”don’t let me sleep with her.”

I don't know if I'm in for Toby's depression.  So sad.  So, so, so sad.  

I felt like they were leading us to think Randall's flash forward was Deja but I suspected it was Beth's grave, maybe?   Or Beth after a major stroke.  

I don't want it to be Beth, mind.  But I think it being Deja with everything in this episode is too obvious.

But then I thought Toby's parents reminding him of his situational depression after his divorce was going to foreshadow Toby having clinical depression.   And the flahforward there certainly seemed to go that way.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, RickyB said:

Does anybody think the worse case scenarios may come true? Deja physically harms Beth and the younger daughter, maybe even murdered and the visit is to prison to see Deja for the first time since it happened? 

Nope, I thought the same thing.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bluedog100 said:

I need a break from these people. But who else recognized ice cream guy from Season 6 American Idol top ten finalists???

Me!  Immediately.   I’m glad he’s pursuing an acting career since he was never much of a singer but was funny and cute. For whatever reason I’m blanking on his name but maybe it’s because I’m 65. He always talked about him like he was chicken Little and I know he was from Long Island but I’m really Stuck on his name but is soon as I complete test his name will come into my head.

• Love 4

My future guesses? 

Kevin and Zoe, who is his real Lobster, are off to either learn more about Jack, find out what happened to Jacks brother, or adopt a child. Or some combination. 

Toby, who we have established has depression, has a major depressive episode, and Kate struggles to deal. 

Either Deja is on jail, and Older Tess and Randall are considering seeing her, or they're going to see Beth's grave for the first time since she was buried. Both outcomes are super depressing.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

My future guesses? 

Kevin and Zoe, who is his real Lobster, are off to either learn more about Jack, find out what happened to Jacks brother, or adopt a child. Or some combination. 

Toby, who we have established has depression, has a major depressive episode, and Kate struggles to deal. 

Either Deja is on jail, and Older Tess and Randall are considering seeing her, or they're going to see Tess's grave for the first time since she was buried. Both outcomes are super depressing.  

Did you mean Deja’s grave?

• Love 1

Count me in as hoping they write Deja out of the show.  I haven't even watched last week's all-Deja episode.  It's still on my DVR but I may just delete it.  

Poor Kate.  She'll have just one year (if that long) of happiness with Toby before his depression (or cancer or whatever he has) pops up.  I used to not like Toby, but I've warmed up to him.

• Love 7

I thought it was a good finale. 

I think that the flash forward of Randall and Tess is regarding Deja being ill or in prison; if it were Beth/Annie OR Rebecca I don’t think there would be hesitation on either one of their parts.

I am fantasizing that I am Beth’s cousin and Justin Hartley is my man. That’s all. 

• Love 20

Loved the episode. A feel good episode with some dark foreshadowing. The only regret is that missing scene of Kate, Randall and Kevin watching that Sandra Bullock movie together. I bet they would all love While You Were Sleeping. 

• Love 15

Kevin’s speech gutted me. My dad died in 2014 and I feel like my mom, brother and I have been holding our breath since then. 

I cried as hard as I did when my dad died when Kevin said that. 

As far as the future, I just think it’s way too obvious for the visit to be to Deja. I feel like the writers have really been trying with this Deja storyline and the “foster kid in jail” is too trope-y and an injustice. YMMV

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

What is the real lobster reference?

From Friends.

I  don’t know how I feel about this. I’m really worried about all the future things we saw. Although yay for Kevin seeming to have a happy one.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I totally did!  Wasn’t he like a chicken or something?

25 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

Me!  Immediately.   I’m glad he’s pursuing an acting career since he was never much of a singer but was funny and cute. For whatever reason I’m blanking on his name but maybe it’s because I’m 65. He always talked about him like he was chicken Little and I know he was from Long Island but I’m really Stuck on his name but is soon as I complete test his name will come into my head.

Kevin Covais, nicknamed Chicken Little all over the internet.

1 minute ago, Kira53 said:

In an episode of Friends, Phoebe refers to Ross as Rachel's lobster.  Earlier in the episode, she had mentioned that they mate for life.

Unpopular opinion:  I didn't care for this episode at all.  I especially hated Kevin's toast and thought it was completely inappropriate.  

• Love 14

Its a reference to Friends, where they talk about how lobsters mate for life, and when you find your Person your supposed to be with, they become your Lobster :)

I cant wait to see Beth's reaction to Kevin dating her cousin. That might just be one of HER worst case scenarios...

• Love 9

Friends, "The One with the Prom Video".

So I'm the only one thinking the future "Her" is an Alzheimer's-stricken Beth or Rebecca?

(Unless Randall and Tess are psyching themselves up to go see Annie or Deja on the stripper pole.)

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

Re: Toby - I figured depression too

There was mention of his heart attack & the idea of having another when Randall & Kevin were doing "worst case scenario" in the car, which I am taking as a red herring. But the relatively random and otherwise pointless scene with Toby's parents hating on Kate, which was seemingly resolved by the reception, had to have greater meaning. What strikes me is that his mother noted she found him under a blanket like a child when he was in depression.  In the flash forward, he's definitely in the fetal in a flowery blanket up to his chin, like a child. And that Kate mentions his doctor wants to adjust his meds? I'm betting on a reoccurrence of depression. My guess is that Toby has an underlying issue with depression with or without a trigger and his mother thinks it flares up with women problems. Kate will find herself taking care of him in a future break, I think. 

I bet they have ongoing fertility issues that break him down. 

• Love 17
21 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

So I'm the only one thinking the future "Her" is an Alzheimer's-stricken Beth or Rebecca?

(Unless Randall and Tess are psyching themselves up to go see Annie or Deja on the stripper pole.)

Rebecca was my second guess after thinking Deja-in-prison was too obvious. I was going more with seeing grammy on her death bed. 

On the other hand, I noticed that Randall's old man make up was really extreme for just ten years forward - aged 47. He looks exhausted in that scene compared to Jack in the fantasy scenes, which would have put him at an older age than Randall in 10 years. If that makes any sense. Bottom line: Randall is supposed to be 48 in those future scenes if I'm taking the "in ten years" correctly, and he looks way too old for that. OR I took the "ten years" over his old man face too literally and those scenes are from when he's much older, like 20 years from now, aged 57. 

Anyway, that scene makes me suspect that Deja went down a perilous path after she was adopted by the Pearsons and it took major toll on the family.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, MelGoLightly said:

Rebecca was my second guess after thinking Deja-in-prison was too obvious. I was going more with seeing grammy on her death bed. 

On the other hand, I noticed that Randall's old man make up was really extreme for just ten years forward - aged 47. He looks exhausted in that scene compared to Jack in the fantasy scenes, which would have put him at an older age than Randall in 10 years. If that makes any sense. Bottom line: Randall is supposed to be 48 in those future scenes if I'm taking the "in ten years" correctly, and he looks way too old for that. OR I took the "ten years" over his old man face too literally and those scenes are from when he's much older, like 20 years from now, aged 57. 

Anyway, that scene makes me suspect that Deja went down a perilous path after she was adopted by the Pearsons and it took major toll on the family.

The flash-forward scenes with Adult Tess are 20 years from now, not 10. Randall *is* 57 in those scenes.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 9

I loved the episode. 

I feel very cheated by the Deja roller coaster. I went from irritated by her to feeling sorry for her to finding her an awful person to excited she was in the family. They really couldn't do one episode where everything is a-okay, could they? We have a wedding going on while Deja is bashing Randall's car window. Whew. 

I'm pretty sure Future Toby is in a depression in that scene. Please let that be true - Kate can't go through more. 

I love the idea of Kevin & Beth's Cousin being in a year long relationship! My guess is that he digs deeper into Jack's family history since he's no longer boozing and craves doing something productive and as a photographer, the sister/cousin is going along to document the adventure. Whatever it is, I love it. And writers, you better not take away a positive Kevin storyline, or I swear. 

I mentioned earlier, but I am concerned with how old Randall looks in those flash forwards. I bet Deja is a lot more impact than they ever could have imagined when they were fostering her. Which makes me despise her birth mother even more. Ugh. 

Finally, what is it with the March finale? What happened to May finales? This season feels super short! We had a two week break during the holidays and another during the Olympics. Where did these 17 episodes go???

• Love 9

I liked this episode. Except stupid Déjà of course.

Good for Kevin. Altho his speech was kind of odd near the end but he recognized that lol.

I really think Beth is dead or has Alzheimer’s in the future. Deja being in jail or something seems too obvious. I have a bad feeling about Beth in the future and it makes me sad.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I wonder if Toby was sick physically or perhaps mentally? His parents talk with him seemed to a foreshadowing of major depression issues.

I didn't think it was anything other than severe depression. That's what it looks and feels like when it's really, really bad.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The flash-forward scenes with Adult Tess are 20 years from now, not 10. Randall *is* 57 in those scenes.

I swear in Randall's speech he says "or ten years from now..." just as they are showing him talking to Grown Up Tess. When we first saw Old Randall I assumed he was in his 60s and she was in her late 20s/early 30s, but that line made me reconsider. I need to go back and rewatch that scene. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

And, just when Kate lets go of her father, Toby's going to up and die on her?  Aargh. Poor girl can't catch a break.

I didn’t think Toby was dying in that flash-forward. It looked more like he was suffering a bout of deep depression. His parents mentioned that he’d sunk into a depression when his first marriage ended and Kate is talking about checking with a doctor about his dosage, which sounds like anti-depressants to me.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, MelGoLightly said:

I swear in Randall's speech he says "or ten years from now..." just as they are showing him talking to Grown Up Tess. When we first saw Old Randall I assumed he was in his 60s and she was in her late 20s/early 30s, but that line made me reconsider. I need to go back and rewatch that scene. 

Randall and Tess look the same in that scene as they did in the flash forward at the end of the Super Bowl episode. It was established then that the flash forward is 20 years in the future, with Tess being a social worker for child services.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, MelGoLightly said:

I mentioned earlier, but I am concerned with how old Randall looks in those flash forwards. I bet Deja is a lot more impact than they ever could have imagined when they were fostering her. Which makes me despise her birth mother even more. Ugh. 

Poor Randall does look weathered in that scene.  Talk about a change from the first one we saw.  He was obviously older, but still quite happy and very proud of his daughter.

It's notable that the flashforwards are in different time periods, with Kate and Kevin's looking more recent.  For all we know, Kevin could be going to Vietnam with Zoe as soon as next year.  But Randall is seen nearly 20 years later.  And again, I'm wondering where Rebecca and Miguel are supposed to be.

On a lighter note, I loved seeing Kevin and Randall actually hanging out and being brothers.  All while trying to help their sister have the day of her dreams.  Between this and the repairing scenes in the apartment tenement, it was nice to see them having fun together.  Hope for more of this next season.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, jmonique said:

I do not care about Deja.

Do. Not. Care.

She's sucking up time that could have been spent exploring the numerous other issues in the Pearson clan. Give us more of how Miguel and Rebecca came together. Widowed Rebecca figuring out how to support three teenagers. Randall finding a professional purpose. The Big 3 actually together. Toby and Beth getting WASTED together in a real bachelor's night before the wedding. 

Deja is manufactured drama, and I don't care. There, I said it.

I only care in the sense of hoping that Annie and Tess gang up on her in a "Full Metal Jacket"-style midnight ambush.

Having a turbulent childhood doesn't explain or excuse her behavior and her need to hurt the people who actually give enough of a crap about her to offer her a stable life. And I have a sick feeling (or as sick as I can muster for fake show characters) that the future scene is the end result of Randall and Beth "understanding" her all the way to prison.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

What would 3 episodes of people enjoying each other look like? Give it a try. No ominous foreshadowing for 3 whole episodes.

It would look like a show that is not This Is Us:) For better or, in my opinion, worse, this show is not going to let go of its "mysteries". And, in between solving mysteries, it is just a show of "moments".  And I'm still here, so who am I to criticize, I guess, but it does get tiring.  Ironically, I'd say overall I liked this season better than last, primarily because the St. Jack/Rebecca's awful refrain from the first season repeatedly set my teeth on edge, so my thinking may be a bit skewed as to overall quality of the seasons. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 5

Joining the chorus of fans of the Pearson Bros-as-Wedding-Planners.  And I loved that her brothers tracked Kate, precisely; I suspect there at the park area, it was unspoken mutual "Let her have her moment" between Kevin & Randall; the three of them just mesh so beautifully! they make me bitter over NotThree scenes I am forced to endure.

Seems like this season, more than last, they're really highlighting that connection, and I'm glad.  Besides Milo, they're why I watch.  That connection is why I cherish this drama -- no matter how many missteps it may take -- as different, and special.

I was lookin' real hard at the fantasy vow renewal, and it seemed to me that Kevin, Randall, and Kate all *seemed younger*.  I suppose that's right.  Without the premature growing-up that Jack's death required, why wouldn't they look younger at the same age.

• Love 12