Type keyword(s) to search

Family Matters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ho boy. I was a nerd as a child, so in the beginning, I did like him if only because I knew what it felt like to be made fun of. And honestly, his obnoxiousness was easier to tolerate in the early days of the show.

But as time went on and he got older, I started to see him for what he was: the original Nice Guy.

His character could have been salvaged if the show had kept things the way they were before the final season: him having apparently gotten over Laura and being in a relationship with Myra. But OH NO. The writers just could leave well enough alone...

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ho boy. I was a nerd as a child, so in the beginning, I did like him if only because I knew what it felt like to be made fun of. And honestly, his obnoxiousness was easier to tolerate in the early days of the show.

But as time went on and he got older, I started to see him for what he was: the original Nice Guy.

His character could have been salvaged if the show had kept things the way they were before the final season: him having apparently gotten over Laura and being in a relationship with Myra. But OH NO. The writers just could leave well enough alone...

I agree, seriously I don't Steve really got into "stalker" mode until the last two seasons. Things with Myra made sense and even Laura realizing she did miss his presence worked, even when Myra stopped being jealous of her. But I agree, the writers couldn't leave it alone and then go into the entire fall out with Disney and CBS thinking they could save 3 series that had ran their courses, spelled the end of all the characters, especially Steve. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And the way Steve threw Myra to the curb for Laura without any hesitation killed whatever feelings I had left for his character.

This is also what was the final nail in the coffin for me in regards to him (and also Laura).  She rejected him the entire series, except when he was his alter ego, and then suddenly one day decides she's in love with him?  Myra was a way better fit for Urkel to begin with.  I would have even been content if he just pushed both ladies aside, but it was too much when Laura suddenly shows interest and he throws Myra to the curb.  I know a lot of people who got turned off with the Urkel character as he got older, but I didn't mind the nerd schtick.  Some of the whole clumsiness got old, but other characters getting pushed aside for more Urkel story lines, the far fetched inventions, along with Stefan, Myrtle, and whoever else he was playing in a dual role, got old. 

And what was with all his inventions?  He creates a time machine and teleporter and can transform into Elvis, and it's all common knowledge, yet he's still stuck living in an attic bedroom at the Winslows?  That was unrealistic, even for a TV show.

• Love 5

When it comes to Family Matters episodes, I definitely liked the earlier seasons better than the later seasons.  I know there's speculation the series never would have made it as long as it did without Urkel, and solely focusing on the Winslows, but I disagree.  A lot of those ABC/TGIF shows had staying power.  I believe this show would have been just fine.  I didn't miss Judy when she was Chuck Cunninghammed out of the show, but I did miss Rachel, Mother Winslow, Richie, and even Eddie's best friend from the first season, Rodney.  Waldo, Weasel, and Maxine also got much less screen time later on in the series. 

I also enjoyed the PSA inspired episodes of 90s TV, because it could still be comedic without being preachy, yet make the point.  Family Matters had some good ones, but perhaps my favorite more serious episode of the series was The Gun, where Laura got mugged at school and contemplated buying a gun for protection.

• Love 3

I loved the episode when Carl was dealing with the past trauma of failing to save a hostage in a robbery. That was pretty powerful stuff.

The only stuff I really hated was in the final season when Laura became interested in Steve because he was "improving" himself and they assasinated Myra's character just to justify Steve tossing her aside and getting together with Laura.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I loved the episode when Carl was dealing with the past trauma of failing to save a hostage in a robbery. That was pretty powerful stuff.

The only stuff I really hated was in the final season when Laura became interested in Steve because he was "improving" himself and they assasinated Myra's character just to justify Steve tossing her aside and getting together with Laura.

I'm not a fan of the final season, either.  I will say, though, that despite not liking Urkel and Laura getting together, I did feel kind of cheated that we never got to see them actually get married.  I watched Family Matters from the beginning, and despite not liking it nearly as much in the later seasons, I still felt like it was almost a waste.  And again, I didn't want Urkel/Laura together and hated how it happened.  But it felt like 'okay, it happened, now we can move on.'  And then it ends with Urkel coming back after misadventures in space.  I know that the writers were planning on more seasons and doing a wedding with the two of them, but I wish they could have at least gotten a TV movie or one hour special or something.  Since it had moved to CBS for its last season, I can see why that network probably didn't want to be bothered since Family Matters was never an original show of theirs anyway.  Of course, I always hate the 'will they or won't they' anyway (it's ruined the final season of The Middle for me because of Sean/Sue, and ruined The Goldbergs last couple of seasons because of Erica/Geoff).  But it seemed like they had moved on from that mostly with Laure and Urkel.  Yeah, he still had feelings for her, but seemed in love with Myra, and Laura content with the cooler Stefan because she couldn't stand his nerdy other half Urkel. 

I felt like it was a bit of a disrespect Laura/Urkel/Myra in that last season.  They were all completely different than the previous seasons had built them up and characterized them.  I get it, different network so different direction, but still. 

That episode you mentioned was a good one.  I won't lie that it caused me to tear up a few times, especially when Carl met the man's widow at the cemetery. 

Some other episodes I liked: Carl's reunion where he went on a diet (gotta sympathize with a guy whose so hungry he sneaks around in the middle of the night eating baby food), the one where Eddie tells his teacher about his difficult home life, and she shows up with the house a disaster and overhearing Carl talking about going out to buy drugs (not knowing he's a cop), and when cousin Clarence came to visit and stole a car.  The Christmas and Halloween ones were good; probably one of my favorites was when Eddie ditched Richie and sent him trick or treating with Waldo, and then Waldo came home with the wrong kid.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

I liked the episode where Steve found out his bully had leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant, so he organized a school drive to sign up potential donors. Steve really was annoying AF but he had a heart of gold for that kind of thing.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm not a fan of the final season, either.  I will say, though, that despite not liking Urkel and Laura getting together, I did feel kind of cheated that we never got to see them actually get married.  I watched Family Matters from the beginning, and despite not liking it nearly as much in the later seasons, I still felt like it was almost a waste.  And again, I didn't want Urkel/Laura together and hated how it happened.  But it felt like 'okay, it happened, now we can move on.'  And then it ends with Urkel coming back after misadventures in space.  I know that the writers were planning on more seasons and doing a wedding with the two of them, but I wish they could have at least gotten a TV movie or one hour special or something.  Since it had moved to CBS for its last season, I can see why that network probably didn't want to be bothered since Family Matters was never an original show of theirs anyway.  Of course, I always hate the 'will they or won't they' anyway (it's ruined the final season of The Middle for me because of Sean/Sue, and ruined The Goldbergs last couple of seasons because of Erica/Geoff).  But it seemed like they had moved on from that mostly with Laure and Urkel.  Yeah, he still had feelings for her, but seemed in love with Myra, and Laura content with the cooler Stefan because she couldn't stand his nerdy other half Urkel. 

I felt like it was a bit of a disrespect Laura/Urkel/Myra in that last season.  They were all completely different than the previous seasons had built them up and characterized them.  I get it, different network so different direction, but still. 

That episode you mentioned was a good one.  I won't lie that it caused me to tear up a few times, especially when Carl met the man's widow at the cemetery. 

The switch to CBS really assassinated a lot of the characters. Both Jaell White and Reggie said they saw the scripts and were not impressed, but they were earning a paycheck. Plus Reggie's switch to guest spots on CBS worked out for him the long run for his career while Jaell went into voice acting since people saw him as Urkle. 

Loved the Carl episode with the hostage trauma and even the shooting episode a few years later was well done. 

• Love 3

My brother and I will still say "3-2-1,1-2-3, what the heck is bothering me?" from time to time.

I loved early seasons, but then the Urkel show became too much especially when he kept becoming "Stefan, the so fine."

7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I liked the episode where Steve found out his bully had leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant, so he organized a school drive to sign up potential donors. Steve really was annoying AF but he had a heart of gold for that kind of thing.

I remember that one! That was one of Steve's better moments. 

• Love 2
On 1/27/2018 at 7:13 PM, LadyChatts said:

This is also what was the final nail in the coffin for me in regards to him (and also Laura).  She rejected him the entire series, except when he was his alter ego, and then suddenly one day decides she's in love with him?  Myra was a way better fit for Urkel to begin with.  I would have even been content if he just pushed both ladies aside, but it was too much when Laura suddenly shows interest and he throws Myra to the curb.  I know a lot of people who got turned off with the Urkel character as he got older, but I didn't mind the nerd schtick.  Some of the whole clumsiness got old, but other characters getting pushed aside for more Urkel story lines, the far fetched inventions, along with Stefan, Myrtle, and whoever else he was playing in a dual role, got old. 

And what was with all his inventions?  He creates a time machine and teleporter and can transform into Elvis, and it's all common knowledge, yet he's still stuck living in an attic bedroom at the Winslows?  That was unrealistic, even for a TV show.

Completely agree, I mean Steve would have had universities and the government knocking at this door ready to pay him in millions. I do know the entire clone so Stefan could exist was because White was having problems doing his Steve voice as he got older, in fact taking him up to a half an hour to practice in the last three seasons. But he even agreed later on it was too much. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/27/2018 at 8:19 PM, LadyChatts said:

When it comes to Family Matters episodes, I definitely liked the earlier seasons better than the later seasons.  I know there's speculation the series never would have made it as long as it did without Urkel, and solely focusing on the Winslows, but I disagree.  A lot of those ABC/TGIF shows had staying power.  I believe this show would have been just fine.  I didn't miss Judy when she was Chuck Cunninghammed out of the show, but I did miss Rachel, Mother Winslow, Richie, and even Eddie's best friend from the first season, Rodney.  Waldo, Weasel, and Maxine also got much less screen time later on in the series. 

I also enjoyed the PSA inspired episodes of 90s TV, because it could still be comedic without being preachy, yet make the point.  Family Matters had some good ones, but perhaps my favorite more serious episode of the series was The Gun, where Laura got mugged at school and contemplated buying a gun for protection.

I think people say that, because Family Matters wasn't very popular prior to Urkel's introduction. Then again, it was only halfway into the first season that he was introduced, so I don't know. It definitely wouldn't have lasted 9 seasons without him, if you ask me. Maybe a few, but not that many.

I always much preferred Waldo over Rodney. I'm kind of glad they wrote the latter out early on, to be honest.

• Like 1

Steve Urkel is one of the best examples of a breakout character, as he was intended to make only one appearance, but quickly became a recurring character, then a major character, then the show's main focus. Do you think he had too much focus, or are you happy with all the focus he had?

Personally, I think they could have done a few episodes with him entirely absent. He appeared in every single episode after the first season. Urkel's over-saturation in the show was what caused Judy to be written out, and eventually, the original Harriette left for the same reason. Most episodes had him as a major focus, but I always saw him as a character that works better in smaller doses. There's only so many times you can damage the Winslows' property over clumsiness before it becomes more annoying than anything.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 7
On 1/29/2018 at 8:41 PM, readster said:

Completely agree, I mean Steve would have had universities and the government knocking at this door ready to pay him in millions. I do know the entire clone so Stefan could exist was because White was having problems doing his Steve voice as he got older, in fact taking him up to a half an hour to practice in the last three seasons. But he even agreed later on it was too much. 

The other thing that bothered me with Urkel's inventions, was he could make the most complicated inventions work.  Restructuring DNA to become Einstein or Bruce Lee?  Piece of Cake.  Yet the simplest inventions he failed at.  There was a balloon drop he put together for one of their school dances that malfunctioned and caused the sprinklers to go off is one example.  But I guess anything to make Urkel say "did I do that?"  They should have just left him as a brainy nerd with a high pitched voice.

• Love 2

I'm leaving Steve Urkel out of this, since I'm sure 95% of the people will say he's their favorite character. This also applies to any other character played by Jaleel White, such as Stefan and Myrtle.

For me, probably Eddie and his best friend Waldo. The episodes focusing on them are some of my favorites. They remind me of Kenan and Kel, before they became a thing.

• Love 2
(edited)

Harriet (I especially loved her relationship with both Carl and Rachel), and Carl were probably my favorites.  I also liked Waldo and Maxine, and equally loved them as a couple.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I have to say Eddie, he felt like a real character that I could identify at that age. He had real issues, real friends, worked, had his problems with his parents and his siblings, but in the end. I felt like he was a realistic portrayal of a Chicago teen at that time. Even as the series went on, he moved onto things naturally from high school, to work, to college. He was progressing through the series. 

Edited by readster
in not it.
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I always thought Rachel was really funny (her silent reaction to Johnny Gill always makes me laugh), but I couldn't stand Richie. I liked Eddie in later seasons, but hated the stupider version of him in earlier seasons. 

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I always thought Rachel was really funny (her silent reaction to Johnny Gill always makes me laugh), but I couldn't stand Richie. I liked Eddie in later seasons, but hated the stupider version of him in earlier seasons. 

Yeah and I think people said the same thing. I mean when he was working at the grocery store and people kept asking him: "How are your tomatoes?" He didn't get that was written on his shirt. Yet, flash ahead a few years to the fast food place as assistant manager and he had the business booming and made some great decisions moving Waldo to kitchen and Steve handling main drive through. Because it increased sales and kept Steven in an area he wouldn't blow up. Even college years Eddie was even above that. I think the writers were trying to play the naive son too much early on and then realized it wasn't really funny.

• Love 2

Stalker.  I thought Myra was the perfect karma for the stalker that was Steve.  And to have Laura end up with her stalker was just an insult.  He violated her personal space and didn't take no for an answer from her.

• Love 2

Not to mention, he would always visit the Winslows uninvited. I'm sure it's been asked many times, but why did they never keep the door locked? It's a valid question though.

Of course, Urkel eventually moved in with the Winslows. I'm surprised he didn't sooner, considering he was already there all the time anyway.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just assumed they were shifting the focus and getting rid of any extra characters they would have to pay.  They even dumped Richie in favor of 3J.  I agree that it was a shame the last couple of seasons really centered about Urkel/Myra/Laura, and Eddie/Myrtle/Gretchen to a lesser extent.  Even with Eddie I thought he was more of an after thought in terms of storylines.  What I remember about him was being in college, then deciding to drop out to become a cop (that was one of my favorite episodes of the last season I will say).  

I always liked Waldo.  Two of my favorite Waldo episodes were where he and Maxine had their first date, and the episode where Eddie hired him at Mighty Weenie but he kept screwing up.  Instead of firing him Eddie managed to find a position there for him that he excelled at, as the cook.  The date one though was always good for a few laughs.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I just assumed they were shifting the focus and getting rid of any extra characters they would have to pay.  They even dumped Richie in favor of 3J.  I agree that it was a shame the last couple of seasons really centered about Urkel/Myra/Laura, and Eddie/Myrtle/Gretchen to a lesser extent.  Even with Eddie I thought he was more of an after thought in terms of storylines.  What I remember about him was being in college, then deciding to drop out to become a cop (that was one of my favorite episodes of the last season I will say).  

I always liked Waldo.  Two of my favorite Waldo episodes were where he and Maxine had their first date, and the episode where Eddie hired him at Mighty Weenie but he kept screwing up.  Instead of firing him Eddie managed to find a position there for him that he excelled at, as the cook.  The date one though was always good for a few laughs.

That's what I liked about the writing of Waldo, especially there at fast food joint. Waldo was shown in the Home Ec class his passion and skill for cooking and he was shocked, as he never saw himself other than dumb. Even he was aware he didn't do smart things, but it was how he was. However, after making him the cook and even going to college for culinary and his relationship with Maxine. It was just such a wonderful change of pace and the writing was on key. Never did we get "plot drives characters" with Waldo's journey, I was just upset when they just dropped him. Similar to Judy, the youngest daughter. Just decided to trim the cast and away they went. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, readster said:

That's what I liked about the writing of Waldo, especially there at fast food joint. Waldo was shown in the Home Ec class his passion and skill for cooking and he was shocked, as he never saw himself other than dumb. Even he was aware he didn't do smart things, but it was how he was. However, after making him the cook and even going to college for culinary and his relationship with Maxine. It was just such a wonderful change of pace and the writing was on key. Never did we get "plot drives characters" with Waldo's journey, I was just upset when they just dropped him. Similar to Judy, the youngest daughter. Just decided to trim the cast and away they went. 

I think this is where my frustration of Urkel set in.  Not only did his character take over the show, monopolize the story lines, and essentially shove other characters out of the way, but his story lines got so ridiculous and unbelievable.  Not to mention it seemed like they just gave up on his character towards the end.  I would have much rather kept around Maxine, Waldo, the original Harriet, Richie, Rachel (though I can't remember if Telma Hopkins left on her own or not), Mother Winslow, and explored more with Eddie and Laura as they got older.  Even their story lines got ridiculous, and Laura's seemed to revolve around Stefan/Curtis and Myra/Steve. 

I agree with your points about Waldo.  I remember how proud of himself he was at finding a skill he didn't know he had, and the heart to heart he had with Eddie at Mighty Weenie over being given a real chance.  I can't say I ever cared much for Judy, but I think they could have done something with her character if they really tried.  I did hate how other characters were simply gone or just written in to further a stupid plot.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I think this is where my frustration of Urkel set in.  Not only did his character take over the show, monopolize the story lines, and essentially shove other characters out of the way, but his story lines got so ridiculous and unbelievable.  Not to mention it seemed like they just gave up on his character towards the end.  I would have much rather kept around Maxine, Waldo, the original Harriet, Richie, Rachel (though I can't remember if Telma Hopkins left on her own or not), Mother Winslow, and explored more with Eddie and Laura as they got older.  Even their story lines got ridiculous, and Laura's seemed to revolve around Stefan/Curtis and Myra/Steve. 

I agree with your points about Waldo.  I remember how proud of himself he was at finding a skill he didn't know he had, and the heart to heart he had with Eddie at Mighty Weenie over being given a real chance.  I can't say I ever cared much for Judy, but I think they could have done something with her character if they really tried.  I did hate how other characters were simply gone or just written in to further a stupid plot.

The bolded is absolute truth. Urkel was (mostly) funny,  but the show was supposed to be about the family. But the family kept getting whittled down and/or replaced with lamer (I couldn't stand 3J and I refuse to acknowledge New!Harriet) characters. Related question: What happened to Laura's ambitions? They traded High School Laura, who was a straight A, student council, cheerleading activist who yes, had romances, for College Laura, whose life is ONLY about dating. Even her friendship with Max disappeared.

Also, I liked the Waldo/Maxine first date episode, too. "He must've finished fixing up his car!"

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Vanderboom said:

The bolded is absolute truth. Urkel was (mostly) funny,  but the show was supposed to be about the family. But the family kept getting whittled down and/or replaced with lamer (I couldn't stand 3J and I refuse to acknowledge New!Harriet) characters. Related question: What happened to Laura's ambitions? They traded High School Laura, who was a straight A, student council, cheerleading activist who yes, had romances, for College Laura, whose life is ONLY about dating. Even her friendship with Max disappeared.

Also, I liked the Waldo/Maxine first date episode, too. "He must've finished fixing up his car!"

Yes, Family Matters became: "Urkle and side characters matter." Truth be told, 3J was actually an interesting story, but then went too far or didn't get explored enough. Plus, with Rachel it was more over her own health issues, but having her basically disappear and then she showed up and Richie was: "Mom!?" Was never explained at ALL. Plus, I did read that one of the reasons they had problems with writing Eddie, Waldo and Laura in college is because over half the writers never went to college. So, they didn't know how to write the kids in college. They had easier times with high school because a few grew up in inner city Chicago during the early to mid 80s. By the early 90s when the show began, there wasn't too much to change outside of fashion. Now, if they tried doing it in 2018, it's an entire different story. Where the Winslows live would be an entire different situation. Unlike say in Mike & Molly where it was pretty realistic with where everyone lived. Family Matters was a grand example of a show that went on too long and the writers just started not knowing what to do with their characters, so they started writing them off or just had them disappear. Like with Judy, Waldo, Eddie's one guy friend (what happened to him?). Then they started getting rid of Estelle, the Original Harriet and of course like the butt of so many shows like Cheers, Fraiser and Friends. You had Steve's parents who were so overly described, they couldn't cast their characters. Many talked about Dr. Urkle being Gary Coleman at one point, until they realized they couldn't pull off the age difference with Jaeel White and Gary. We heard Steve's mother off screen twice and it was Reginald Johnson doing the voice off screen. I mean I got they made Steve worst and worst as time went on, but it got to the point, I felt like Steve was an orphan and why he came over all the time because his parents didn't give a shit. What a horrible message to send for one being a doctor and the other owning her own business. 

Edited by readster
spelling problems.
(edited)

Yeah, I preferred Urkel being more of a supporting character, like he was in the first couple of seasons or so. By Season 4 or 5, they may as well have changed the name of the show to Urkel Matters, because by that point, the show was more about Urkel and his interactions with the Winslows, than just the Winslow family themselves.

But I think the audience just wanted more Urkel, so they gave him as much screentime as possible.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/13/2018 at 6:08 AM, Lili said:

Not to mention, he would always visit the Winslows uninvited. I'm sure it's been asked many times, but why did they never keep the door locked? It's a valid question though.

Of course, Urkel eventually moved in with the Winslows. I'm surprised he didn't sooner, considering he was already there all the time anyway.

Another question I have is, what was it with people on TV and not having screens on their windows?  On Family Matters there were a few episodes where Urkel came in through a window, but I notice it on other TV shows as well.  Maybe I'm just overly paranoid from watching too many crime shows and living in a buggy area, but I would never have my windows open with no screens on them (not to mention my cats being able to jump out).

I also wondered why they never kept their doors locked when he would show up unannounced.  There was one episode where they heard him coming and locked one door, but forgot the other one.  So clearly they thought of it.

Edited by LadyChatts

Stalker IMO. How many times does he have to be told No. Not to mention he has photos of her all over his locker, has a place mat with her picture on it, camping on the roof and singing outside her room and interfering in her love life. To me you don't love someone when you can't respect their answer and they say they don't want to be with you. He even tried sneaking a kiss when she was sleep. 

When Laura or Carl had enough of his antics and kick him out of the house, Steve lays on the guilt trip by saying some kind words before leaving. They say that Laura and Carl are harsh on Steve but it's been years of Steve barging in the house without knocking, messing up the house, breaking things in the house and just being a damn klutz. 

Honestly don't know which character was worse Steve or Screech. Steve got Laura in the end but Screech never got Lisa because Lisa was smart enough not to get involved with a stalker. 

• Love 6
On 1/29/2018 at 5:21 PM, deaja said:

My brother and I will still say "3-2-1,1-2-3, what the heck is bothering me?" from time to time.

So do I with one of my friends. She still cracks up at the swinging moose head!! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Love 2
On 5/21/2018 at 12:14 AM, LadyChatts said:

Another question I have is, what was it with people on TV and not having screens on their windows?  On Family Matters there were a few episodes where Urkel came in through a window, but I notice it on other TV shows as well.  Maybe I'm just overly paranoid from watching too many crime shows and living in a buggy area, but I would never have my windows open with no screens on them (not to mention my cats being able to jump out).

I also wondered why they never kept their doors locked when he would show up unannounced.  There was one episode where they heard him coming and locked one door, but forgot the other one.  So clearly they thought of it.

About the windows, my best guess is that maybe it was time constraints. How long would it take to open a window then take the screen out?  Most shows are what, 24 minutes long w/o commercials and maybe 45 minutes for one hour shows, I think. 

About the doors, I can only think of plot device. 

On 5/18/2020 at 2:24 PM, brentberger said:

oh yeah, it has always been so confusing for me. By the way, speaking of Family Matters, I've recently encountered an article on https://news.amomama.com/195161-darius-mccrary-family-matters-opened-why.html, which I found really captivating and puzzling(for me). There is described all this situation with Darius McCrary and why she was cut off from the show. I've been taken aback by the reasons she had explained to the community. Besides, I really enjoyed the article itself and I have found so much information about this actress. I liked her so much when she was starring in this show.

Yeah, and it is sad what lead to those problems that she got removed from the show. Also true on parents with: "Well, my kids should be on more episodes because of XYZ." Is also a key to them not longer having a job. I remember when the triplets who played Ben on Friends got into an argument of them not showing up and how "it made sense" for Ben to play with his now little sister, Emma. That turned into: "Don't tell us how to write, get out!" Also a main reason they aged up Boyd on Last Man Standing when the twins used were also on Dexter and basically HBO said: "We are a more expensive show and have time constraints." The parents figured they were getting paid more money from Dexter, and gave LMS an excuse to age up Boyd and explain why to kick off the original Kristin and recast her with Amanda Fuller. 

It's not like the parents had a point on things, but as the old saying goes: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." 

Ok, I'm rewatching (actually seeing the full later seasons for the first time) and this is bothering me. Laura and ACTUAL Steve kiss at Prom and it's never mentioned. They kiss at the auction when nobody bid on him, Laura is like really into it (even though she's with Stefan) and it's never mentioned and then she kisses him when she's drunk and they act like it's the 1st time they've ever kissed...why? Wth... 

I also saw the last episode years ago and know Laura and Steve end up together which...irritates my soul. Please don't give guys that message lol. Also what about Stefan, he was basically created for her. I'm currently up to the episode when Steve read Laura's mind and she admits she's attracted to him. I will say this, as a child I never realized how talented Jaleel is. 

• Love 1
On 7/21/2020 at 9:07 PM, Alicia131 said:

I'm currently up to the episode when Steve read Laura's mind and she admits she's attracted to him. I will say this, as a child I never realized how talented Jaleel is. 

I did! I also saw how incredibly HOT he was going to be and NO ONE believed me for many years but I SAW! (he was my very first celebrity crush)

I came to share that my beloved Jaleel has a NEW PODCAST, Ever After w/ Jaleel White interviewing former child stars, discussing their life and career choices after "fame". So far he has episodes with Keke Palmer (love her) and Haley Joel Osment. Its on Spotify as well. 

I am SO EXCITED.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Did anyone catch Jaleel White on TVONE’s Uncensored last night? He talked about his experiences as a child star and Family Matters and it was great! So much tea spilled!

Apparently he and his mother were really close with Michelle Thomas. He got really emotional talking about her. On top of the cancer, she had a tough time finding other roles and wound up getting a waitressing job outside LA because she didn’t want people to recognize her. But she never lost her innocence and integrity.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Did anyone catch Jaleel White on TVONE’s Uncensored last night? He talked about his experiences as a child star and Family Matters and it was great! So much tea spilled!

Apparently he and his mother were really close with Michelle Thomas. He got really emotional talking about her. On top of the cancer, she had a tough time finding other roles and wound up getting a waitressing job outside LA because she didn’t want people to recognize her. But she never lost her innocence and integrity.

I loved this episode!  Jaleel was vert down to earth and shared lots of tea.  I do wish he had spoken about being on Charlie and Co., with the legendary Flip Wilson.

Despite there being plenty of black sitcoms/movies in the early 2000s, Michelle Thomas (RIP) still had it rough trying to get work?  Very unfortunate.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 2