Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: Friends in Deed

• Start Topic

I regard this as a safe space, which means I can tell you all that I so wanted Emma's hair. 90's perfection.
But... I would like to think that no one would find Emma's behavior sexy. She's just ... weird. "I'm wearing a black slip with lace trim." Sweet, that's what my grandmother wore underneath her dresses, so what are you trying to say? As far as I recall we're even supposed to feel a little sorry for Brandon later because he sleeps with her and doesn't really want to, but what red-blooded male can resist that kind naughtiness, right?! Jeez.

• Love 1

After all these years I have come to see Noah as comic relief. His acting is so flat (especially when you just hear the sound clips) that it seems like a parody, and the attempt to make him the new Dylan is hilarious. Perhaps not what the writers, the director, or the actor were going for though.

• Love 1

The actor playing try-hard Emma Bennett was Angel Boris,a playboy playmate. This is back in the late 90s when TV was trying very hard (starting w/Jenny McCarthy) to make Playboy Playmates into actresses. It generally didn't work.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Nanna said:

I regard this as a safe space, which means I can tell you all that I so wanted Emma's hair. 90's perfection.
But... I would like to think that no one would find Emma's behavior sexy. She's just ... weird. "I'm wearing a black slip with lace trim." Sweet, that's what my grandmother wore underneath her dresses, so what are you trying to say? As far as I recall we're even supposed to feel a little sorry for Brandon later because he sleeps with her and doesn't really want to, but what red-blooded male can resist that kind naughtiness, right?! Jeez.

I'm a curly girl (duh) and always wanted a blunt bob, so I feel you. 

I'm excited to hear this storyline unfold...now we can see if Kelly is as understanding about the "complicated" feelings when someone in a committed relationship fools around with someone else (*cough, Dylan and the trip around the world*)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

I'm a curly girl (duh) and always wanted a blunt bob, so I feel you. 

I'm excited to hear this storyline unfold...now we can see if Kelly is as understanding about the "complicated" feelings when someone in a committed relationship fools around with someone else (*cough, Dylan and the trip around the world*)

A. I always, ALWAYS wanted this hair and managed to flatiron it to within an inch of its life in a pretty good approximation around this time. I regret that almost as much as the raver clothing from said era. 

B. I cannot effing WAIT for the wristwatch in the pasta pot. 

This show's cavalier portrayal of retail and service industry jobs, ugh. These boners would be the worst co-workers ever. 

• Love 2

Ugh. Among Brandon's many other unattractive qualities, I haaaaaaate the way he says 'Kel' and the way he drops the 'g' from 'ing' words. These vocal habits infuriate me as much as the thumbs-in-jean-pockets and learn-to-hold-a-coffee-cup-FFS physical habits annoy @Sarah D. Bunting.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Molly Cule said:

I cannot effing WAIT for the wristwatch in the pasta pot. 

I thought of this scene when I was listening to the podcast. Doesn't she smash it with a wooden spoon too?

So is the writer who came up with the name Emma Bennett a big Jane Austen fan or is it just a coincidence? 

8 hours ago, DaBigDave said:

The actor playing try-hard Emma Bennett was Angel Boris,a playboy playmate. This is back in the late 90s when TV was trying very hard (starting w/Jenny McCarthy) to make Playboy Playmates into actresses. It generally didn't work.

Her centerfold shoot is with the same hair, wearing a Y necklace, holding a huge cigar, and occasionally a martini...sooo ‘90s.

• Love 1
(edited)

If the doctor requires a chaperone for an exam, that suggests he has already been in trouble for inappropriate behaviour with patients - it's often a requirement from licensing boards after a complaint has been received.

The way you were talking about Emma made me think of this:

tumblr_mtlnk6sRip1qbx71io1_250.gif

Except with more schadenfreude.

Edited by helent

This may be SOP, at least in New York State? I don't think I've ever been alone with a doctor, man or woman, for an exam. Ostensibly the assistant is there to make notes in the chart or help out with equipment, but I always just assumed it's a lawsuit prophylactic that they just...do, regardless. Not that I should be looking to this show for realism on any front.

I haaaaaaate the way he says 'Kel' 

I hate the way they ALL say it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I HATE BRANDON
I HATE RAPE CULTURE
I MIGHT HATE THE 90S WHOLESALE
I HATE BRANDON

Other things I hate include but are not limited to: slut shaming and David.
I'm usually alone with my doctor (in MA) unless it's a gyno exam, in which case there's always an assistant present.

Edited by maxineofarc
  • Love 2

I am always alone with all of my doctors, even my gyno, who is also a woman. This is in Minnesota. Never had a problem, but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't get Kelly involved. She would probably just go home and tell Brandon and he would just tell her she's wrong and she would accept that.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, DaBigDave said:

The actor playing try-hard Emma Bennett was Angel Boris,a playboy playmate.

Hold.  Up.  IIRC, she also played an awful character named Angel on "General Hospital" who only wore white and was one of several woman who was a Brenda substitute with Sonny and Jax.

• Love 1
On 3/6/2018 at 1:06 PM, ZeroDiscipline said:

Kelly and Donna's apartment is like, not cool at all. This was the same time as Friends and maybe even Sex and the City. Wouldn't they have decorated their apartment by now? Their high school bedrooms had more pizazz.

Yeah, Kelly is totally bland now, and you’d think Donna being a “fashion designer” would have that creativity extend to her home. Makes sense that they would end up running a boutique since Donna strikes me more as “rich girl who likes clothes” than a creative person.

• Love 2