Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Auditions

• Start Topic

The gold standard of all music competition series, “American Idol,” will make its highly anticipated return to television as superstar judges Luke Bryan, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie set out on a journey across the nation to discover a new crop of inspiring talent with a touch of Disney magic, as it premieres its first season at its new home on America’s network, The ABC Television Network.

Turned on AI about 45 minutes in and saw the following auditions:

• 16-year-old Layla (with little sister Dyxie) - extensive back story followed by stupid audition of little sister (she gets a golden ticket for 2026, whatever, was I supposed to care?) followed by "meh" audition of big sister. Good voice that will benefit from training but would never have gotten a "Yes" from Simon et al.  However, Lionel Richie and other judges think Hollywood would be a good experience for Layla anyway. Wow, here I thought AI was about finding the next idol, not about providing educational experience for young people who have no chance to win this thing.
  • Benjamin Glaze - "mediocre" would be a kind description of this young man's voice. Why do we need to be subjected to his backstory, since he's not going through? Oh, yeah, because Katy kisses him. (He claims he's never been kissed by a girl.) He vaguely reminded me of Wil Wheaton.
  • ~Time out for dog potty trip~
  • Nico Bones - singing (and I use that word advisedly) "Nobody likes me. Everybody hates me... might as well eat worms."  Or however the song goes. Shoot me now.

And that was enough. I hope there were some good auditions somewhere in there, but since I'm not turning it back on, I guess I'll never know.

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Benjamin Glaze - "mediocre" would be a kind description of this young man's voice. Why do we need to be subjected to his backstory, since he's not going through? Oh, yeah, because Katy kisses him. (He claims he's never been kissed by a girl.) He vaguely reminded me of Wil Wheaton.

I was side-eyeing him during his whole, "working as a cashier gives me a chance to meet girls" thing. 'Cause when I think of sexy jobs men have that attract women, I think cashiers. Yep. 

Nico Bones - singing (and I use that word advisedly) "Nobody likes me. Everybody hates me... might as well eat worms."  Or however the song goes. Shoot me now.

Seriously, what the hell was that all about? 

And the theater girl who couldn't deal with being told no. Shut up, lady. 

Did really like Alyssa, though, as well as Dennis. And I'm glad they gave Ron a second chance, too-he certainly deserved to go over some of the other people who got put through. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed this panel of judges. They're still a little stiff, but they'll get over it.

I'm surprised this is airing again tomorrow just because I thought Idol was supposed to be only one episode a week? Their ratings would probably be better with only one episode on Sunday's.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I really enjoyed this panel of judges. They're still a little stiff, but they'll get over it.

I'm surprised this is airing again tomorrow just because I thought Idol was supposed to be only one episode a week? Their ratings would probably be better with only one episode on Sunday's.

They are airing same time as the voice. Watched all of 10 minutes and doubt I'll be back for idol. 

• Love 1

Oh my. This was so bad. I liked the first few seasons of this show, but it's clear those days are gone and aren't ever coming back. This has totally stopped being about talent (I guess people who want are watching "The Voice"). Instead, it's become all about personality - as in obnoxious millennial over-the-top "personality" - and trying to get tweens to fall in love with a singer before, and regardless of, how they perform. Kentucky girl was the prime example.

I did like Alyssa, who seemed like a throwback to the best Idol auditioners of the previous decade.

• Love 5

The resurrection has occurred.

It took 25 minutes and only two contestants to give me flashbacks to large chunks of AI's last few seasons. Immediate additions to the indie-strummie guitar army. Yay?

Seriously, if your shtick is that you bombed an Anthem performance at 11...I'm not sure if that bodes well if you make it to the voting rounds. IMO, she will not....but still.

Alyssa has one of the most mature sounding voices for a 15 year old. The contrast between her and Dyxie's older sister's voice was startling.

Honestly, I'm watching the Voice too....and I'd rate Dennis, Noah, definitely Alyssa, and maybe even the girl who did the muppet song better than just about anyone we've heard on that show over the first two weeks. So even though I'm not sure about all the packaging, talent v. talent I think AI is off to a good start so far.

• Love 7

AI- the Disney version. There may have been 2 they showed that should have advanced, the rest were all fodder, but coddle their egos why don't you. I think I'll skip auditions and wait for the live shows.

• Love 3

I’m so excited it’s back!  So glad Ryan is a part of it. I like this panel of judges. It makes sense - country guy, current pop star, and R&B legend.  I was appalled that they were paying Katy Perry that much money, but she’s a lot more current than J-Lo, and I like her as a judge so far (except for that stupid kissing thing).  And my granddaughter idolizes her, so there’s that. 

I have a question: My cable has been screwing up and I didn’t see if Harper got through (the one who did the horrible National Anthem when she was 11). Did she get a ticket?

• Love 5

I thought Noah who loved alpacas and the high school kid who was raised by her dad were the best. The kid with the high speaking voice who killed Frank Sinatra reminded me of We McDonald from the Voice a few seasons ago. I wasn't expecting that at all. 

Of the three judges I actually think Luke was the best tonight. Good advice with an eye for talent and a killer sense of humor. 

Things seemed to move at a slow pace though and we didn't see as many contestants in a episode as the old format. I'll give it a few more episodes to see if they change it up some more but so far it just seems like more of the same and just kind of meh.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, ML89 said:

I have never seen Luke Bryan more than once or twice before and I think I’m his newest fan - at least as a judge. 

Same here.  I wasn't that familiar with him until I saw him on The View a few days ago, where he charmed me.  I DVR'd the show tonight and will watch it later.  If he's half as charming on Idol as he was on The View, he's got me as a fan, too.  

• Love 2

I was so looking forward to Idol's return, but tonight was a disappointment.  Mediocre talent and a blah judging panel.  But then, I've never liked the audition rounds, so maybe things will perk up in a few weeks.  

The way the tonight's show was edited, there were way too many back-stories and too much blabbing among the judges.  Speaking of which, they don't seem to mesh well together like Jennifer, Harry and Keith did.  Maybe that just takes time, but Katie Perry seems kind of stand-offish.  Lionel is trying, and Luke is sooooo easy on the eyes!  He seems a bit nervous about this whole 'judgy' thing, though.  What's missing - and sorely needed - is a Simon type, who will tell some of these special snowflakes the unvarnished truth.  But there will never be another Simon, sadly.

From now on I don't think I'll watch in real time.  I'll DVR it in order to fast-forward through all the chitchatting and personal histories.

• Love 5

What was with Katy's dress?  When that boy was singing 'Worms,'  I thought, 'That's it!  It's a big black worm on the arm of her dress!'  When wooly worms are completely dark like that in our area, we think it predicts a hard winter.

• Love 3

My mother, born and raised in Oklahoma, hates Luke Bryan's accent.

OK, I highly approve of their playing Jain's "Makeba" under the narration.  Love that song and that video.

I think I love Caty Turner, though she could be exhausting in large doses.

Love Ron Bultongez's voice. It's bogus that they don't think the black guy should be doing white people's music.  That's all I can hear from that. I'm glad Lionel rethought it.

Kobe is deafening. All of that was ridiculous. And her demanding a ticket was time for her to be hustled out by security.

I'm glad Harper Grace owns her national anthem fiasco.  I really liked her.

How many clothing changes did Katy have in this show tonight?

"I'm going to try so good." Er, isn't that what she's supposed to do? I hate having kids come in with the contestants, too. And she shouldn't have been singing, either. Didn't like Layla all that well.

Benjamin has a stalker vibe about him.

This Nico Bones guy is a total asshole.

The Andy Griffith music for Noah is just so condescending.

Wig: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Wig

OMG, Ragu is a STAR!!!

Knew I wouldn't like Sardor.  He was just too full of himself. "Wrong door". Hey, I liked his shoes. He already has a Wikipedia article, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardor_Milano

40 to 50 pairs of socks is not one for every day of the year.  But hey, I have a sock obsession, too.

Zach has a very Sinatra vibe about him.  Impressed. And Zach's mom was cute.

Dennis was really good.

• Love 5

I'm happy Idol is back. Could never get into any of its competitors while it was gone. Feels like it never left, which I'm glad about. There were still enough WTF auditions to keep me satisfied (like that lady who kept talking over Katy because they were both "double Scorpios") and good auditions (Raghu girl).

Judges are trying a little too hard to show how fun and quirky they are (like a lot of the contestants) but maybe they'll settle down later.

That first guy should not have been brought back. He was not ready.

• Love 6

I loved Alyssa; her dad (though he wears a wedding ring, so maybe he's remarried and had help) obviously did a great job raising (I know, but "rearing" sounds terrible to me) her. She was so talented but not in that obnoxious "precocious" way. If Luke meant what I think he did, I found her easy to listen to, too; I had no worries that she wouldn't hit a note. 

That horrible woman from Colorado was SO obnoxious; all buddy-buddy with Katy until she said no, then she wouldn't even listen to her and kept talking over her. Whether you agree with a judge or not, they might have something to teach you, and you'll never impress future employers by being obnoxious like that. I wonder why the judges saved their compliments until after she left? Maybe they didn't really mean that she should move to NYC and look at Broadway? She might have been more gracious if they said those things to her face. (Though of course, most adults don't need to be complimented to be polite.) I certainly didn't care for her voice. After that performance, I can't imagine anyone wanting to cast her in anything. What a jerk. 

I thought the Sinatra guy was kind of cute, but he doesn't have a great voice. Luke blew him out of the water when he sang a few words. 

I appreciated the judges leaving some of the contestants with hope. But I miss the musical discussions we got from Harry and Keith (not, of course, JLo). The closest anyone came was Luke mentioning the last guy using just three chords. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Mystery said:

That horrible woman from Colorado was SO obnoxious; all buddy-buddy with Katy until she said no, then she wouldn't even listen to her and kept talking over her. 

And trash talking her as she leaves the building, too. "I think she's a little jealous." Of...what, exactly? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mystery said:

That horrible woman from Colorado was SO obnoxious; all buddy-buddy with Katy until she said no, then she wouldn't even listen to her and kept talking over her. Whether you agree with a judge or not, they might have something to teach you, and you'll never impress future employers by being obnoxious like that. I wonder why the judges saved their compliments until after she left? Maybe they didn't really mean that she should move to NYC and look at Broadway? She might have been more gracious if they said those things to her face. (Though of course, most adults don't need to be complimented to be polite.) I certainly didn't care for her voice. After that performance, I can't imagine anyone wanting to cast her in anything. What a jerk. 

Was an insult to the very talented people of Bway.

• Love 3

The Layla audition was not very good , and bringing  . her little sister in the room was odd. 

i think they are desperately trying to get some heart wrenching story with this girl ,  even though they know she will not win . 

I don’t like the auditions portion of the show so much , but I like the Hollywood portion .

6 hours ago, NoThyme said:

They are airing same time as the voice. Watched all of 10 minutes and doubt I'll be back for idol. 

I really don’t get the Voice at all . I think the style of the show is more exciting , but it should be called “the judges”. It creates more hype and career revitalizations for the judges, than stars from the show !

After  all is a the seasons is the Voice , I still would like to hear about ONE winner  who is a household name like Kelly Clarkson or several of the Idol winners or runners up ! 

Say what you want about Idol , it has created several stars ! 

The judges  personalities and drama is a fun side to the competition , I think the problem with Idol is that they never have been able to recreate the chemistry and fun they had with Paula, Simon and Randy !  They also now could never have a Simon type judge because everyone would be perpetually “offended “! 

I personally used to like someone like Jimmy Iovine who would be realistic and take down the obnoxious contestants a few notches with his  real experience as a record company executive!  I know that a very unpopular opinion , but having sappy judges who have a child “audition” ,  needs some balance ! 

I still think Idol is the best show for contestants . The show actually does focus on them , and not on the judges.

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 15

Harry always really annoyed me!  Keith and J.Lo were very likeable but wow I could barely stand to listen to Harry.  There isn't anyone annoying on the panel this time.  I read that Katy is supposed to be the "mean" one.  LOL.  But if this is their version of mean that's fine by me.  I think the judges gel just fine.  

So far, so good.  I was really sad when the show left the air and I'm very happy they brought it back.  

I don't think I could ever watch "The Voice", either.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the judges and that's as far as it goes. What a godawful show. One would think they'd want to showcase some actual talent on the AI returns! premier. Most of the auditioners were untalented/delusional/insane.  Far too much time was wasted on tiresome backstories and on indulging the whims of young people who just can't sing. The ages of our viewing household Sunday were 8, 12, 50 & 60 and we all had the same opinion. There is nowhere for the show to go but up after last night.

• Love 1

This was a little too much Katy forward for me but I  liked Lionel and Luke.  The successful  formula of the Simon days made this show.  I miss the focus on singers. 

Harry and Keith took their judging to coaching and it was tedious.  

I think these 3 might do the same.

Edited by Wings

I really enjoyed having this show back and am amused at how varied the opinions of it are so far. I thought all the judges did just fine and my favorite auditions were the very first girl and the boy who wants an alpaca. It was fun seeing another Sinatra type but I think the judges were so enamored of the song that they didn't notice he wasn't hitting the lower notes very well. Plenty of Hollywood cannon fodder as well.

I just cannot deal with The Voice because of the "Look at MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" tomfoolery of the judges at the expense of the contestants. I also can't take Carson Daly trying really, really, really hard to connect emotionally with every singer and their stories and their families while he gets handsy with every one of them. He also looks like he's going to have a stroke when the show is running long and he has to speed one of judges' speeches up. Meanwhile, Ryan makes it all look effortless. That said, he really didn't get much screen time last night, perhaps to downplay the recent stories about his behavior with staff members.

• Love 8

Well, that was a bit of a bummer.  Don't know why they're spending so long on back stories of these kids who probably won't even be in the top 10.  While the verbal snark was missing, the expressions on the judge's faces told the true story.  I hope there are some better singers that they're not showing.

11 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

How many clothing changes did Katy have in this show tonight

I didn't keep track. I just assumed the auditions were filmed over multiple days (and locations?) and so of course they changed clothes (unlike The Voice).

This was a disappointing start to the Idol reboot for me. The judges didn't have good chemistry and they were greenlighting a lot of extremely average singers. They were also endless in their chit-chat with and critique of each singer and I was FF through most of that (we always start shows like this on a delay). I hope things improve as the season moves forward. Having watched the last two seasons of The Voice, I hate their format and would like to see Idol be successful again.

I don't know where the 1's above came from but i cannot edit them out.

Edited by Jillybean

I can not stand Katy Perry!  She stinks as a vocalist herself, how can she judge others?   Her music is popular, but as a a former vocal major, she is super pitchy and she is way too inexperienced and obnoxious.   Lionel and Luke are fine. 

I heard that Fergie was in negotiations to be on this show.  Yes, I know she basically is a criminal now and got all of our faux patriots freaking out, and I will probably be seen as anti- American because somehow we have equated sporting events with patriotic shows, and she  is basically in exile for doing a bad rendition of the national anthem! But,  as horrible as the rendition is, she vocally hit all the notes!    She has a ton of experience since she was a small child, and she can sing, and she has a nice personality.  Katy is awful in every way possible.

• Love 1

Her music is popular, but as a a former vocal major, she is super pitchy and she is way too inexperienced and obnoxious. 

Seriously? She's been performing since her teens and recording for over 15 years. She's had 13 Grammy nominations and her Super Bowl half time appearance was nominated for a freakin' Emmy! You may find her obnoxious but the people who awarded her 14 People's Choice Awards must not agree. If this show teaches you nothing, it certainly demonstrates that it's not about having the best voice or a low-key personality or even your own 3-D performance film that grossed over $25 million in theatres (which she does). It's a mysterious amalgam of talent, drive, timing and great material.

Edited to add that Simon Cowell seemed to judge others quite well without bleating a note.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 15

Katy is a HUGE get for this show.  I saw her in concert, I don't personally think she "stinks" but I am not a vocal major.  Regardless, with 70 million followers on Instagram I'd call her extremely relevant today.  Fergie, um, I don't personally agree and I didn't even find her relevant at the height of her fame, which was like, 15 years ago?

• Love 10

I liked the judges. They seemed to give good crit and no one was freaky or annoying like in the last few seasons where you had the likes of Steven Tyler and the horrendous season with Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj. I don't enjoy Katy Perry's singing voice AT ALL but I did like her as a judge. I'll admit I haven't finished zipping through the first episode yet, but the few singers I watched were satisfactory. I'd put'em through. Except for the stage actress who only seemed to know how to Broadway belt. Her type is not a fit for this contest as the judges were correct in pointing out. As much as she said she was used to auditions and rejections, she did not take it like a pro. Perhaps a bit of confrontational acting there for the sake of the show? How much do the producers control what goes on on stage?

ETA: I just watched a few more acts and I take back some of my post. The country girl and her little sis and the "never been kissed" boy were awful and took up way too much time. Not worth watching.

Edited by BonnieD

The fellow who had the deeper voice and sang like Sinatra reminded me of John Stevens of American Idol's season 3. (Oh, and I just learned that Stevens suffered serious injuries in 2016 when he was run over by a van while he was out jogging. What a shame!)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Katy is a HUGE get for this show.  I saw her in concert, I don't personally think she "stinks" but I am not a vocal major.  Regardless, with 70 million followers on Instagram I'd call her extremely relevant today.  Fergie, um, I don't personally agree and I didn't even find her relevant at the height of her fame, which was like, 15 years ago?

I would hardly call Lionel Richie relevant.  I think experience matters more.  I also think Katy has a weird personality and is childish.  She is still getting in feuds like a high school girl with other artists.

I think what was wrong with most of the poor to mediocre auditions last night was that they tried too hard.  Their vocal cords were tense and they hit wrong notes and squeaked.  I kept wishing the judges would ask some of them to sing another song in the hopes they'd relax and do better.  What was so great about Sinatra boy (Zack?) was that he did appear relaxed.

Katey's eye makeup was excessive but beautiful.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But she should not have been paid $25M to judge.  The show ultimately suffered with the shorten season and less time for viewers to know the contestants.

I guess I will have to give the judges time to find their rhythm but I am not loving them as a whole so far.  Luke is a bit silly, Katy isn't as warm as JLo was and I don't know why but it bothered me Lionel stood up all the time.  I loved the Simon, Paula and (kinda) Randy dynamic but equally loved the Keith, JLo and Harry one as well.  I missed seeing Ryan as much with the families, he really showed his kind side with them over the years.  They upgraded the golden tickets :)       

• Love 2
1 hour ago, summerdaze said:

I would hardly call Lionel Richie relevant.  I think experience matters more.  I also think Katy has a weird personality and is childish.  She is still getting in feuds like a high school girl with other artists.

There are other genres of music besides pop.  Having 3 Katy Perry-type judges would not be ideal.  There's a reason there are 3 different judges representing different genres and bodies of experience, as another poster pointed out upthread.  

Whatever you may think of Lionel, his fanbase is huge and crazy.  I went to one of his concerts recently and the audience screamed louder for him than the more Instagram famous/younger singers I saw in concert the same year.  The fanbase is loyal, extremely long-term, and who knows, might want to watch him on this show.

I don't know anything about Luke, but even I see that country music is huge in the U.S. and that he'll be 'relevant' to a lot of people auditioning.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

The main two things I thought about during country girl Layla's audition with her little sister was how that little Dixie must be about the same age as Lionel Richie's granddaughter (Nicole's girl: Sparrow?) and also what threat of a lawsuit Idol could have on their hands in the future if that family hangs on to Dixie's Hollywood ticket valid in [Whatever Year It Was] and Dixie comes back expecting to get through.

6 hours ago, Mocking Bird said:

I enjoyed the judges and that's as far as it goes. What a godawful show. One would think they'd want to showcase some actual talent on the AI returns! premier. Most of the auditioners were untalented/delusional/insane.  Far too much time was wasted on tiresome backstories and on indulging the whims of young people who just can't sing. The ages of our viewing household Sunday were 8, 12, 50 & 60 and we all had the same opinion. There is nowhere for the show to go but up after last night.

That's American Idol, what it is and what it has always been.

1 hour ago, twilightzone said:

But she should not have been paid $25M to judge.  The show ultimately suffered with the shorten season and less time for viewers to know the contestants.

Huh?  We've only seen one episode.  What does a shortened season and less time to know the contestants have to do with anything?

• Love 4

Regarding Katy's salary... I may be confused but I vaguely remember when this reboot was announced months ago it being said that she was one of the producers and had a major part in bringing it back. So I'm not sure how her salary plays in all that. I'm slightly confused.

• Love 1