Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Spurgeon's First Haircut

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, floridamom said:

I believe that Daddy Vuolo got little Jeremy his 'job assignment' in Laredo. Jeremy has no seminary training or experience; little preparation across the board to be a pastor of anything if you ask me. I don't think any authentic preacher, pastor, minister or priest is prepared as quickly as Jeremy seemed to be. What was it, a matter of a few months, and poof, he was a pastor.

That's what I don't get. They are very conservative, but they would be soooo much better off using the money for the show and going to seminary for a real denomination (Methodist, Lutheran, baptist, etc). After they've been preaching a while, they can make pretty good salaries! Plus, most established denominations have parsonages for them to live in. I've attended a large, downtown Methodist church all my life, and the senior pastor there makes close to 100K. Sure, that is nowhere near what they make starting out, and we usually get the good, established pastors near the end of their careers. To me, though, this is a legit career path, where you start out not making much but advance through your career like you would in most jobs. All these churches where you just "declare" yourself a pastor and then just hope for the best would just make me too nervous, because there is seemingly no job security. 

• Love 11

I agree that it's a dicey route.

Most of the preachers of small independent churches that I know have a full time job to support themselves and their families, precisely because of the lack of job security and because they didn't go to seminary. Being a preacher is more of a part time thing on the side for them. They'll still visit the sick and other pastoral work,  but it's during the evenings or weekends around their other jobs, and some get very little payment for it if the church is tiny. 

For that reason, I learned when I was a kid to be leery of the ones who claimed to have their own little church or claimed to be a preacher without a church and didn't have any means of support. They usually were shameless grifters.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
On 3/9/2018 at 10:59 AM, Triple P said:

Someone posted a picture of Michelle that was taken when she was about the age that Josie is now. They are twins, born 40+ years apart.

I think the picture was on Instagram. Does anyone else remember the photo? 

Are these the photos in question? (They're from Pickles...)

I don't think they're quite dead-ringers for one another, but there are definite similarities. 

image.png.f8fb1f1a70ede4455648a53fb32056b0.png

image.png.1262440d6088054aabe46cb1569f7285.png

Edited by dargosmydaddy
2 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't think they're quite dead-ringers for one another, but there are definite similarities. 

Yes. In my memory they looked more like twins.  ?

• Love 1

So I happened to see some video somewhere of Jeremy "preaching" or doing a read in front of Church audience. Sorry to say, but it was No Bueno! lots of ums and getting tripped up. Like he had not practiced or outlined anything.

I do think Austin is much more of a natural "preacher" and is comfortable talking on mic in front of a lot of people. 

Ben, I don't see if at all, and Derrick....I would throw tomatoes at Derrick and call it a service. (to humanity)

not to point out the obvious...but anyone else think it is strange Michelle would have a baby picture where she is not wearing full turtleneck?

now diff topic but POOR HENRY....Should be seeing a dermatologist. Can you imagine the discomfort...and then having to wear gloves to keep from itching? Poor Little Guy. My guess is there are several things that could be helping him that are not made available to him. So I will invite mosquitoes into mom's bed, add in a few bed bugs and let's see how that feels.

(yes just saw the re-run)

Why is there a Deer Head on wall in J/J house? Horrifying.

• Love 2

I think she was just trying to get the hair out of his eyes. She also mentioned not making him afraid by talking about "cutting" - curls are very forgiving. Now Bin's haircut was awful and she didn't seem to know how to blend the clippers part into the rest. 

• Love 2

Bin had a “gouge” above one ear where the hair was noticeably shorter, and there was a weird coonskin hat look going on. These people are on tv, they should be getting their hair cut by professionals. Jessa’s hair extensions weren’t done by some amateur, were they?

I only watched ten minutes so far. The only entertaining part was the “J-Lo lite” music they used to introduce Jinger and Jeremy’s muy picante Laredo segment. 

• Love 3
On 3/11/2018 at 1:05 PM, Christina87 said:

That's what I don't get. They are very conservative, but they would be soooo much better off using the money for the show and going to seminary for a real denomination (Methodist, Lutheran, baptist, etc). After they've been preaching a while, they can make pretty good salaries! Plus, most established denominations have parsonages for them to live in. I've attended a large, downtown Methodist church all my life, and the senior pastor there makes close to 100K. Sure, that is nowhere near what they make starting out, and we usually get the good, established pastors near the end of their careers. To me, though, this is a legit career path, where you start out not making much but advance through your career like you would in most jobs. All these churches where you just "declare" yourself a pastor and then just hope for the best would just make me too nervous, because there is seemingly no job security. 

I totally agree with you! I read somewhere (probably on a Bringing Up Bates thread) that part of the "Gothard Way" (or maybe the IILB way; I don't understand the difference and I'm okay with that!) is to be self-employed and not have to rely on anyone else for work/an income to provide for their family.

In addition to the potential lack of both job security and a cash flow that a DIY Church brings, it seems so incredibly stupid that the two people who graduated from college would even think about going down that rabbit hole.

Although if Jeremy, Derrick or Bin worked for someone else, their jobs might bring with it some temptations from the Devil: the option for healthcare and dental benefits! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! 

I know this board isn't for the Bates family, but I do have to point out (because snark!) that at least the married women in that family all work on the side.

I know raising kids is a full-time job, and I hate to call Jinger out, but it would've been nice to see her using her skills as a photographer in Laredo to build up her independence and sense of self, and to also help bring in some money. (Maybe she did and I had no idea. If that's the case, I would love to be wrong.) She could still be working now and continue to freelance once the baby arrives.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jessa's 'haircut' that she gave Spurgie, was a terrible one. She didn't even comb his hair out first. She doesn't know what she's doing. 

Shhhh! Don't tell her that! Haha!

I loved how she Jessa-splained that she "has learned more and more through the years...picked up tips...learned what works and what doesn't..." She made it sound like she put herself through the Jessa Duggar Hair Academy!

It's honestly too bad that she didn't have any vocational training in that area. I know the "keep the women uneducated" family tradition, but if doing hair is what she is interested in, it's truly unfortunate that she didn't find an "appropriate school" to attend when Jana &  Jill were learning how to deliver babies. It would have taken her no time at all to complete the coursework and become a licensed cosmetologist and actually give real haircuts.

• Love 7
On 3/11/2018 at 6:09 PM, Triple P said:

That bottom picture of Michelle is a picture of a child full of spirit and mischief.  That's the Michelle I'd want to see.  Makes me sad to think it might be gone.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

This is the pic!

• Love 2
On 3/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, Triple P said:

She is quite defrauding in one of those pics!  NIKE!  Joking aside, will Josie grow up wearing a squirrel on her head?

On 3/7/2018 at 4:50 PM, graefin said:

When will we see the episode where Ben cuts Jessa's hair? Now that's an episode I'd tune in for. We've seen her do his and Spurgeon's. Come on now. Fair is fair. 

Producers, are you reading this? Best idea ever!

• Love 5
On 3/11/2018 at 11:30 AM, Absolom said:

The church Jeremy is aligned with is not fundamentalist nor does it deny basic science.  Jinger made a move out of the IFB and Gothard world by marrying Jeremy.  That doesn't mean it's liberal, but conservative evangelical.

I just read the beliefs on Jeremy's church website and they definitely are biblical literalists. They believe the world was created 6,000 years ago and do deny basic science, unfortunately. They also oppose "non-traditional marriage." Wearing pants and giving up Gothard (for Jinger; I realize Jeremy never was) does not mean they are not solidly fundamentalist.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, becca3891 said:

I just read the beliefs on Jeremy's church website and they definitely are biblical literalists. They believe the world was created 6,000 years ago and do deny basic science, unfortunately. They also oppose "non-traditional marriage." Wearing pants and giving up Gothard (for Jinger; I realize Jeremy never was) does not mean they are not solidly fundamentalist.

Not every fundamentalist is associated with Gothard. The Maxwells aren't Gothard followers and they are batshit crazy.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Not every fundamentalist is associated with Gothard. The Maxwells aren't Gothard followers and they are batshit crazy.

I know! I hope people don't think that wearing pants changes everything. I grew up in the world of fundamentalism and they still tick all the boxes. A step away from Gothard is a good thing, of course, but Derek was never Gothard and he's been the one vocally Tweeting against marriage equality and saying being transgender isn't a real thing. Jeremy certainly doesn't believe in marriage equality either and does deny basic science.

• Love 1
On 3/17/2018 at 8:07 PM, becca3891 said:

I know! I hope people don't think that wearing pants changes everything. I grew up in the world of fundamentalism and they still tick all the boxes. A step away from Gothard is a good thing, of course, but Derek was never Gothard and he's been the one vocally Tweeting against marriage equality and saying being transgender isn't a real thing. Jeremy certainly doesn't believe in marriage equality either and does deny basic science.

Of all the things to focus on as far as personal development for the Duggar daughters, for me “wearing pants” is the last thing on the list. Women can wear pants or not wear pants, I understand it’s a visual thing and humans are very visual but personal beliefs, character and habits show more of someone’s personal growth than wardrobe choices. 

Jeremy’s beliefs may waver between fundy-lite and conservative Christian as the years go by depending on how successful his church is.  

• Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 3:46 PM, GeeGolly said:

YUP! Hair cuts - boring. Using the men's store as an idea place then buying two ties - boring and rude. Bookshelf moving and building - boring. Shit, even their water fun day was boring to watch, although I did wonder if Kendra and Joe needed to speak to their parents that evening because they practically had sex on the way down and upon landing.

Poor Ben felt the need to qualify having fun. I've done stuff like that well past 22, usually alcohol was involved, but so what.

There was a time when Jess first met Ben and I thought they were a very attractive couple. But then he started talking, and it was clear he was as thick as a plank. Then Jessa turned into this horrible, bullying smug bag. Next thing I knew, Ben's haircuts were hideous and he always had a day's growth. Jessa used to put some effort in to her self, but clearly not anymore. They both are meant for each other as nobody else would want them. Ignorance is bliss for them.

• Love 7