Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Active Measures

• Start Topic

I think Simone is playing Wellington, who had nothing to do with McClelland's murder. Wellington is just a true believer in Keane. Meanwhile Simone is working for the real black hats, directed by the so-called defector and his perky frontier bride, and including the ersatz tabloid photographer. Simone is using Wellington as their source to the President. 

• Love 9

Am I the only who wondered if Carrie had slept with all the men at the table?

My memory sucks, I spent most of the episode trying to remember if I should remember any of the newly introduced characters...

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, snarts said:

My memory sucks, I spent most of the episode trying to remember if I should remember any of the newly introduced characters...

I constantly have this problem with Homeland. I’m a tad face-blind to begin with, and they’re always bringing in bland-looking characters with names that run together (Keane and O’Keefe obviously don’t look alike but I get their names mixed up in print), and I’m never sure whether I’m supposed to know what’s going on or just wait for more information. It’s terrible to have to say I’m relieved they added a lone black guy to the team so that’s at least one person I can identify. I miss @Sarah D. Bunting‘s recaps. She was bizarrely talented at understanding this show!

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, snarts said:

Max was the only guy I recognized of this "team".  I too thought my meno brain had reached full throttle.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, snarts said:

I was wondering the same thing during the kitchen scene. I don't remember a single one of them from the Afghanistan season (except Max, of course). I know Simone is probably a big baddie, but I was still put off that Carrie sicced the violent thugs on her. There must have been a better way to get the intel.

So Dr. Oleg last episode was indeed a Russian spy/fake news monger. I really hope he returns with a speaking part.

Marky Elkins was my favorite character for the second episode in a row.

• Love 5

My favourite moment of the episode: Claire Danes' line reading of "FUCK!" when the second bug took off in the Uber.

I thought this was a reasonably good follow-up to last week, even if in terms of the overall plot not a lot happened (the obvious big one being the reveal that Wellington wasn't in on McClendon's murder). I seem to recall that the President asked him to "get it done, or I'll find someone who can," which was after he had already refused once. So this revelation isn't a huge surprise, though it could also have gone the other way. I guess its "The Russians" who will be the masterminds, for some as yet unknown motive, as the show has thus far failed to draw any parallels between Keane and Trump which might explain it. Bringing Ivan Krupin back was an odd choice - wasn't it his operation that made Saul look like a complete incompetent in the first place? I must have missed the part where they became old buddies.

2 hours ago, snarts said:

I didn't recognize any of them, but on this show who knows. One of them could have been an extra from a scene back in season 2 who we're supposed to remember, but generally they give that away on the previouslies, which I didn't notice this week.

Edited by pfk505
  • Love 1

The whole beating her up and bugging her was for show, since Max put a bug and camera in Wellington's home already.

So its for the benefit of the FBI guy, who thinks they're building a case.

Well Max and Carrie can't let him know they already bugged Wellington so they're going to bug Simone.

Even if the new bug worked out, anything they learn is inadmissible, since bugging Simone is also illegal.

Carrie might as well have had beers with the guys and share stories.  Including the one about how she flashed for the ransomeware hacker and then beat him up.  

Because this fake bug caper seems about relevant to the main plot as how she got her laptop unencrypted.

• Love 3

Strange. This episode was entirely about appearances-the FBI widows, the Scooby Doo bugging caper, and Saul taking a walk in the woods with a former bad guy. I'm fantastically sick of the Russians, both real and fictional.

I didn't recognize any of those guys either. Just like many of you above, I totally forget whole seasons of this show even though I've watched them all and I don't know why. I forgot Carrie's dad had died and you could have put any blond woman in as her sister.

I'm grateful for Max though. Thank you Show for giving him something better to do than be Carrie's IT guy.

I do think the 4ch@n guy will resurface, or some thread related to it.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, scrb said:

The whole beating her up and bugging her was for show, since Max put a bug and camera in Wellington's home already.

So its for the benefit of the FBI guy, who thinks they're building a case.

Well Max and Carrie can't let him know they already bugged Wellington so they're going to bug Simone.

Carrie was convinced of Wellington's guilt, but had only the (scant) evidence linking Simone to the murder, to go on. She thought putting pressure on Simone would prompt Simone to lead them to her contact. And it still may -- in which case, the bug could come in handy. 

The irony is that Carrie's unwarranted suspicion of Wellington is what gave her the picture of Simone that re-enlisted Dante on her side. Dante suggested that bringing Simone before the Congressional investigation would add to the pressure on Simone (and through her, the White House). He may be a true believer in Keane's opposition.

From the AVClub's review of the episode:

Another weird moment: when Saul’s defector friend mentions Russian interference in the US election. Which election is he talking about? Trump never happened in this world, so are we to assume the Russians meddled on behalf of Keane? Or were they on board with her opponent and end up falling short?

Indeed. Seems like the writers slipped up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, parandroid said:

Another weird moment: when Saul’s defector friend mentions Russian interference in the US election. Which election is he talking about? Trump never happened in this world, so are we to assume the Russians meddled on behalf of Keane? Or were they on board with her opponent and end up falling short?

Claire said on Colbert the other night they filmed this season almost a year ago, they're still finishing up, they do use some current events and we knew 18 months ago of Russian interference, bots, etc. 

How does Carrie wrangle all these men to be on her team and run these ops? She's not CIA any more. Are they just doing it for the sake of friendship? 

I was completely surprised that Wellington wasn't Simone's source of the money.  She really didn't seem that concerned about being punched in the stomach and blackmailed. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, teddysmom said:

How does Carrie wrangle all these men to be on her team and run these ops? She's not CIA any more. Are they just doing it for the sake of friendship?

Heh, maybe they think that Simone is really going to come up with that $100K!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I know what you're trying to do, show.  Break my heart by killing Quinn and then bring in 4 guys to replace him.  It won't work, no matter how much I love James D'Arcy!  Well, it might work a little bit.  

11 hours ago, snarts said:

I thought the same thing.  And it might explain the complete loyalty of all of these guys willing to work on a fly by night project, seemingly for free.  The loyalty can't come from them believing that Carrie is some kind of super agent, good at her job, because I mean...

• Love 5

Due to the low lighting and his new American accent, it took me to the end of his first scene to place the Jarvis of my Heart, James D'Arcy. But what would Peggy say about his scruffy looks now?!?

I hope Uber paid nicely for that product placement.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, attica said:

Due to the low lighting and his new American accent, it took me to the end of his first scene to place the Jarvis of my Heart, James D'Arcy. But what would Peggy say about his scruffy looks now?!?

THANK YOU!!!!! That was the guy living in the trailer?? I knew I recognized him from somewhere. OMG

He hasn't been on before, right? And the way they casually brought up the two of them sleeping together. Good lord Carrie. 

• Love 4

These are old war buddies, Carrie and the makeshift team, from their days with a CIA they each eventually left, under different circumstances that might not be all that different. They all hate it and miss it and will do it for free but not for a living. 

• Love 4

I don't get why the feds keep viewing the Virginia shoot out as a major screw up on their part, and why "shooting the kid" was indefensible. While the "optics" of that will never look great, and surely no one applauds shooting a 16-year old, he was a 20-something looking guy charging at them with a machine gun in the heat of an armed stand off. Were the feds supposed to just welcome the machine-gun toting kid running at them wildly with nothing but kindness? I didn't hear anyone mention this, so maybe I'm missing something here? I understand why the other side is so angry and riotous, but I don't understand why the feds aren't telling their side of the story better.

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, ahpny said:

I don't get why the feds keep viewing the Virginia shoot out as a major screw up on their part, and why "shooting the kid" was indefensible. While the "optics" of that will never look great, and surely no one applauds shooting a 16-year old, he was a 20-something looking guy charging at them with a machine gun in the heat of an armed stand off. Were the feds supposed to just welcome the machine-gun toting kid running at them wildly with nothing but kindness? I didn't hear anyone mention this, so maybe I'm missing something here? I understand why the other side is so angry and riotous, but I don't understand why the feds aren't telling their side of the story better.

That scenerio was based almost exactly on the 1992 Ruby Ridge standoff with a dead dog (Ruby Ridge added a dead FBI agent and a dead teen ager to the mix).   The Feds told their story then, and it still didn't go over all that well.   No reason to spend plot time with the Feds yapping their gums about something that doesn't go anywhere and has little use for the plot.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, pfk505 said:

Bringing Ivan Krupin back was an odd choice - wasn't it his operation that made Saul look like a complete incompetent in the first place? I must have missed the part where they became old buddies.

Is that the same Ivan who was Allison's Russian handler back in Season 5? Weren't they both caught by the CIA? If that's the same person, when did he become a "happy defector" and since been enjoying protections from the US?

1 hour ago, attica said:

I hope Uber paid nicely for that product placement.

I liked James D'Arcy before but I simply adore him now because of Jarvis on AGENT CARTER.  Loved that series!!  I was both surprised and supremely pleased to see him on HOMELAND and I like the scruffy look.  I like Linus Roache, so I am happy to see King Ecbert again.

36 minutes ago, crookedjackson44 said:

I try to harden myself against film and TV emotional manipulations, but I found the scenes with the President and the widow and the church scene with the widows to be very moving.

The church scene was good.  Yes, it was manipulative but I didn't mind because the Virginia widow (can't remember her name) seemed very sensible from the get go.

Ask far as Simone is concerned, I think she is one smart and hardened agent.  I think she calmly and effectively led Carrie's team to Wellington to implicate him in McClendon's death.

• Love 3

If there was a gunfight in Richmond after that service, that would have to be the major plot of the season.

You're talking open insurrection.

I'd be surprised if there was that much sympathy for survivalists who armed themselves to the teeth and purposely looked for an armed confrontation with the feds.

1 hour ago, ahpny said:

I don't get why the feds keep viewing the Virginia shoot out as a major screw up on their part, and why "shooting the kid" was indefensible. While the "optics" of that will never look great, and surely no one applauds shooting a 16-year old, he was a 20-something looking guy charging at them with a machine gun in the heat of an armed stand off. Were the feds supposed to just welcome the machine-gun toting kid running at them wildly with nothing but kindness?

J.J. was armed with his hunting rifle, not a machine gun. He had been heard calling for his dog, who ran out into the clearing, and got shot while some distance from the agents. J.J. ran out to the body, knelt and called to the sheltered, armor-clad agents, "You shot my dog!", then stood, weeping, and aimed his rifle their way as he repeated "You shot my dog!"  No order was given to fire; when one -- only one -- of the agents did, the team leader cried, "What did you do!" and ran out to help J.J. 

• Love 6

As to the boy ... you point a gun at law enforcement you get shot. I don't care if it was a boy and his dog. And the explanation is easy: "he pointed his gun at us in a threatening manner, so we shot him in self defense". The agent who said "what did you do?" wasn't following along and just didn't get what was going on. His was a very strange reaction, thrown in by the writers just to create some moral vagueness or something.

Edited by riverclown
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ShannaB said:

Ask far as Simone is concerned, I think she is one smart and hardened agent.  I think she calmly and effectively led Carrie's team to Wellington to implicate him in McClendon's death.

This would make narrative sense, but the show has done little to nothing thus far to support such a reveal. If they did go ahead and show that she was on to them the whole time, it would ring a little bit hollow.

2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Is that the same Ivan who was Allison's Russian handler back in Season 5? Weren't they both caught by the CIA? If that's the same person, when did he become a "happy defector" and since been enjoying protections from the US?

That was my understanding. I forgot that he had been captured - if that's the case then it makes sense he would turn. It would make less sense that Saul would act all chummy with him given the fact that he and Allison played Saul for an absolute chump, so much so that the fact he still has any job let alone such a high profile one is a bit silly.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, crookedjackson44 said:

I try to harden myself against film and TV emotional manipulations, but I found the scenes with the President and the widow and the church scene with the widows to be very moving.

I hated those scenes. Ugh.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rock knocker said:

That scenerio was based almost exactly on the 1992 Ruby Ridge standoff with a dead dog (Ruby Ridge added a dead FBI agent and a dead teen ager to the mix).   The Feds told their story then, and it still didn't go over all that well.   No reason to spend plot time with the Feds yapping their gums about something that doesn't go anywhere and has little use for the plot.

The Ruby Ridge fiasco started with an idiotic attempt to entrap the trivial Randy Weaver into sawing a few inches off a shotgun barrel by the ATF, followed by giving him the wrong date to show up for court summons (you can't make this stuff up), followed by the U.S. Marshals lying on warrant applications to enter Weaver's property, whereupon they shot one of the dogs, triggering a gunfight (unclear who shot at humans first), leaving a marshal and Weaver boy dead, which then triggered the FBI's siege, which shot Weaver's wife in the head, as she held a baby. The FBI then destroyed all manner of evidence. This was all revealed at Weaver's trial, resulting in his prompt acquittal, then Weaver sued the Federal Government, and won a large verdict.

What shows like Homeland and others get wrong is that they show the FBI being really stupid, but they show it in the wrong way. The FBI does know how to surround a perimeter, and cut off communication, once it has been alerted. What they are stupid about is the sort of things all bureaucracies are stupid about. Allocating resources poorly. Screwing up the recordkeeping. Covering up their mistakes. So many writers go for the easy melodrama, instead of showing how people in the real world can actually be quite interesting.

• Love 5

If they shipped Claire and FBI Handsomeboy any harder, the scenes would take place on an oil tanker. I had to turn the sound down during those scenes.

The idea of President's chief of staff being honeytrappped is an ok plot device, as long as the relationship begins fairly early, well before that President winning election, but the idea of the honey having assignations at the target's private D.C. residence, after that President has won the election, is kind of silly. Similarly, the idea that Claire would not immediately grasp what is going on, as soon as she saw that video, is kind of silly.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Bannon said:

If they shipped Claire and FBI Handsomeboy any harder, the scenes would take place on an oil tanker. I had to turn the sound down during those scenes.

I think he may prove to have his mind made up about Keane, and be unwilling to look elsewhere. He could be using Carrie and her skills as an irregular to make the case -- the one case -- that Keane's opposition in the Senate wants to pursue. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Pallas said:

I think he may prove to have his mind made up about Keane, and be unwilling to look elsewhere. He could be using Carrie and her skills as an irregular to make the case -- the one case -- that Keane's opposition in the Senate wants to pursue. 

I hope you are right, because if they become romantically involved, it'll be a groaner. Of course, I'm the kind of person who thinks the show would have been better if Carrie and Brody had never hooked up.

• Love 3

Even if Dante proves to be a romantic bust, that just means my money's on Anson. 

I think Carrie is a little blinded by Wellington's having made a liar out of her to her colleagues on her first day of work at the White House. It's hard for her to see that he isn't subverting Keane, or committing sins in her name. She'll catch on. 

• Love 2
On 3/12/2018 at 1:17 AM, pfk505 said:

I guess its "The Russians" who will be the masterminds, for some as yet unknown motive, as the show has thus far failed to draw any parallels between Keane and Trump which might explain it

The Russians are working against Keane, not for her: they seem likely to have been the mysterious financier for last year's troll farm, O'Keefe base of operations, and other anti-Keane disruptions. They will prove to be behind McClendon's murder, not only to eliminate a wild card but to get the murder pinned to her Chief of Staff. (Carrie will soon be working to clear him, not nail him.)

Last season it was established that Adal-led forces in the U.S. intelligence and military were opposed to the diplomatic option and U.S.-Iran treaty set in motion by Saul through Javadi. They wanted to establish that Iran was in violation of the anti-nuclear program component and respond with increased sanctions and military actions. Meanwhile Russia stood to gain if the U.S.-Iran detente collapsed. As President-Elect Keane refused to endorse reprisals, and the coup was sprung.

The Kremlin probably couldn't believe its luck. Gaining increased influence with Iran was one thing. Abetting the cultural/social divisions in the country was another. But seeing the U.S. intelligence, military and executive branch engage in full-scale civil war was something else again. 

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Bannon said:

What shows like Homeland and others get wrong is that they show the FBI being really stupid, but they show it in the wrong way. The FBI does know how to surround a perimeter, and cut off communication, once it has been alerted. What they are stupid about is the sort of things all bureaucracies are stupid about. Allocating resources poorly. Screwing up the recordkeeping. Covering up their mistakes. So many writers go for the easy melodrama, instead of showing how people in the real world can actually be quite interesting.

Yes. This practice is what so confuses me about this show. If the show is trying for an allegory with real life, there are enough oversights and too much emphasis on drama for me to follow it. Something happens and it doesn't fit the nascent story line I'm trying to build, so I wonder if I have the story wrong or the show screwed up. 

5 hours ago, Pallas said:

The Russians are working against Keane, not for her: they seem likely to have been the mysterious financier for last year's troll farm, O'Keefe base of operations, and other anti-Keane disruptions. They will prove to be behind McClendon's murder, not only to eliminate a wild card but to get the murder pinned to her Chief of Staff. (Carrie will soon be working to clear him, not nail him.)

Last season it was established that Adal-led forces in the U.S. intelligence and military were opposed to the diplomatic option and U.S.-Iran treaty set in motion by Saul through Javadi. They wanted to establish that Iran was in violation of the anti-nuclear program component and respond with increased sanctions and military actions. Meanwhile Russia stood to gain if the U.S.-Iran detente collapsed. As President-Elect Keane refused to endorse reprisals, and the coup was sprung.

The Kremlin probably couldn't believe its luck. Gaining increased influence with Iran was one thing. Abetting the cultural/social divisions in the country was another. But seeing the U.S. intelligence, military and executive branch engage in full-scale civil war was something else again. 

And this is the kind of story line I'm trying to build in my mind. But I don't see an O'Keefe rising as he did, or survivalists protecting him as they did, or the FBI acting as it did, or Saul being so impotent. And I don't know the reason why the Adal-led forces would prefer war to such a degree, they would attempt a coup.

22 hours ago, pfk505 said:

That was my understanding. I forgot that he had been captured - if that's the case then it makes sense he would turn. It would make less sense that Saul would act all chummy with him given the fact that he and Allison played Saul for an absolute chump, so much so that the fact he still has any job let alone such a high profile one is a bit silly.

Saul was played like a fool in that situation and everyone knows it. He shouldn't have a job at the CIA, let alone as something close to the President. And he's shown how useless he is and can be in critical situations. But hey, maybe that's art imitating life, right now in our current situation?

• Love 2
On 3/11/2018 at 11:19 PM, chocolatine said:

I was wondering the same thing during the kitchen scene. I don't remember a single one of them from the Afghanistan season (except Max, of course). I know Simone is probably a big baddie, but I was still put off that Carrie sicced the violent thugs on her. There must have been a better way to get the intel.

What better way to get info from a murderer?  It was simple, cheap and effective.  Simone folded pretty easily.  

• Love 1

Come on now. No woman puts her purse on the floor of the bathroom while standing at the sink.

Oh dear, there is a whole other string of Quinns in Carrie's past. Poor fuckers. 

In the opening montage, Quinn is featured a lot and I think you can hear him talking to Carrie with lines that are not from past seasons. I wonder if Carrie is going to get dream sequence/madness closure with Quinn at some point.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Come on now. No woman puts her purse on the floor of the bathroom while standing at the sink.

Oh dear, there is a whole other string of Quinns in Carrie's past. Poor fuckers. 

In the opening montage, Quinn is featured a lot and I think you can hear him talking to Carrie with lines that are not from past seasons. I wonder if Carrie is going to get dream sequence/madness closure with Quinn at some point.  

Ha ha, totally agree. How disgusting is that floor, given that it's in a bar, and a bit of a seedy one at that? 

Yes. I definitely heard(and saw!)  Quinn quite a bit in the opening, and it concluded with the letter he wrote, about being a beacon of light for Carrie. The most beautiful lines in the show, all due to Rupert. 

• Love 1
On 3/13/2018 at 6:46 PM, TVbitch said:

I would, if the sink area was all wet, which it is, much of the time... because most people are not very tidy (to put it mildly).  Who wants a wet leather bag? Of course, if it's a shoulder bag, or a crossbody, you just keep it on, rather than put it down somewhere. But hers wasn't.

Edited by Bcharmer
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2018 at 9:31 AM, teddysmom said:

Claire said on Colbert the other night they filmed this season almost a year ago, they're still finishing up, they do use some current events and we knew 18 months ago of Russian interference, bots, etc. 

Danes was fuzzing with the dates to put her point across, I guess. I know for a fact this season was filmed from late August last year to late last month in Richmond and they just wrapped the season finale in Budapest. They wrapped last season in NY at this time. 

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 1
(edited)

On 3/13/2018 at 8:03 PM, PreBabylonia said:

Ha ha, totally agree. How disgusting is that floor, given that it's in a bar, and a bit of a seedy one at that?

13 hours ago, Bcharmer said:

I would, if the sink area was all wet, which it is, much of the time... because most people are not very tidy (to put it mildly).  Who wants a wet leather bag? Of course, if it's a shoulder bag, or a crossbody, you just keep it on, rather than put it down somewhere. But her's wasn't.

I would never put my purse on the counter or the floor while in a bathroom. *shudder*

Part of it is because of the cooties. Part of it is because I saw this tv movie a million years ago where a girl went into a public bathroom and she had a large bag that she put on the floor (I think she was at the airport and it was a carry on bag). A runaway teenager tried to steal it by grabbing it under stall door and pulling it, but the first girl saw what she was trying to do and grabbed the bag from inside the stall and tried to hang on to her bag. The runaway pulled so hard that the girl inside the stall banged her head really hard on the stall door AND DIED. The runaway then took her bag and stole her identity. Now I know the likelihood of this happening to me in real life is slim to none, but because I saw this tv movie when I was pretty young, it was like LIFE LESSON: YOU WILL DIE IF YOU PUT YOUR BAG ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR.

But there are other women who don't give a shit about cooties. When I was at the ballet last month, I saw a teenage girl come out of the bathroom stall, take off her big fluffy faux fur coat, and throw it on the soaking wet counter so that she could wash her hands. I was like okay, you didn't want to get the bottom of your sleeves wet while you wash your hands but you're okay with the entire back of your coat getting wet from the counter?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I would never put my purse on the counter or the floor while in a bathroom. *shudder*

x ∞ !  I would balance my purse on my head before I would put it on the counter or (eeks!) the floor.  #NeverGonnaHappen

p.s.:  Every image I have of Carrie in relation to a purse is her slinging a crossbody over her head as she exits a room/scene, but yeah, in this instance she has a clutch?  Mkay.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

x ∞ !  I would balance my purse on my head before I would put it on the counter or (eeks!) the floor.  #NeverGonnaHappen

p.s.:  Every image I have of Carrie in relation to a purse is her slinging a crossbody over her head as she exits a room/scene, but yeah, in this instance she has a clutch?  Mkay.

I bought a purse hook several years ago and it has saved me from having to put my bag down many times. I love it! I've used it in bathroom stalls, at restaurants/bars, at movie theaters, at sporting events, etc. It's THE BEST.

ITA - Carrie always has crossbody bags so I want to know why she had a different type of bag while she was hanging out in a surveillance van! I laughed when she told the guys that this was why she said they needed another female on the team.

• Love 3

Did she put her purse on the floor? I thought that Carrie "accidentally" knocked both of their purses on the floor. But I may remembering wrong.