Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Plural Lives Equals Happy Wives?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, the-grey-lady said:

I wonder if April isn't looking for some kind of "outlet" for Dimitri's enormous libido so he'll leave her the hell alone.

I'm a bit lost here. Are April and Dmitri somehow hooking up? Aren't they in two different families?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kyanight said:

You mean she didn't say:  "To be aibow to wive in a pwace weh I can cwaim my husband, and my childwen can call Dwew dad, it's kind of like a dweam come twue?"  

Hahahahahaha! Auralee sounds like Barbara Walters. Or as the late, great Gilda Radner would say "Baba Wawa".

• Love 3

I don't know why seeing as we've seen glimpses of it all season but the pure unadulterated contempt that Drew has for April this episode still shocked me. I would be devastated if anyone talked about me as harshly as he did let alone a spouse.

I hope she comes to a realization about how much he hates her when she sees these episodes.

• Love 14
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, Galloway Cave said:

Except not really. They are the only state that has the law to prosecute people living as polygamists. But the state won't prosecute for that law unless other violations are also present (domestic violence, child abuse [including child spiritual marriages], and welfare fraud). There hasn't been anyone prosecuted solely for polygamy in many years and in conjunction with the other violations, only a few times since 2000. Drew Briney has been out as a polygamous for many years and if the State of Utah wanted to arrest him (the same with Kody Brown), they would have done it a long time ago.  There was no need for the Brineys to move to Oregon or wherever they went except they wanted to. Same with the Browns and LV.

Kody Brown has said that going on a tv show led to an investigation starting up on their family (which, of course, would lead any reasonable person to say "then why go on TV and out yourself if you don't want to be prosecuted?")  So I do think potentially that going on the show could lead to legitimate concerns about an investigation.  What I'm curious about is why they're saying April isn't at risk but everyone else is.   How does that work?  I can see Drew being at risk due to the new legislation making it illegal to even live as a polygamist (as an attorney I'm fascinated by the constitutional arguments that can be made against that law) but how would Angela or Auralee be at risk, but April not?  Very interesting.

(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:24 AM, Granny58 said:

More than any other "reality" participant I've ever seen, I HATE Drewfus.  I think I seriously do HATE him.  April made perfect sense (from my point of view), why move away to be with a part-time husband and leave friends, family, kids in college.  I've often told people, my son may move away from me but I'm not moving away from my son.  And for Drewfus to sit there with a puss-face and then accuse her of being selfish - UGH.  He is a smug ass without any empathy.  

I don't expect everybody to understand every iota of somebody else's point of view.  Wives 2 and 3 are coming from different starting points AND their children are still small and will be coming with them.  I would hope that a husband would try to understand a change of heart (April initially said okay but as the event loomed she got cold feet), but NOPE, he turned it into it being a fault of hers.  

Snowdens:  I think Ashley "wanted" Jakira.  I don't think "sisterhood" is a motivator here...I think they are polyamorous.  And bringing 5 kids into it?  No Dimitri fan here, but I would nix that too.  

I love seeing how different people saw that scene.  I thought April was being unreasonably selfish and narcissistic over the whole thing, myself.   Drew is the only one who works, so my first thought was how is he supposed to afford a big house for them all to live in in the state of Oregon, plus continue to support April and 6 other kids still in Utah?  Then there's the siblings.  Even though Auralee's kids (Angela's doesn't quite count yet as he's only a few months old) have a sibling relationship with April's kids.  It wouldn't be fair to ALL of the children to rip half of them apart.  The kids April didn't want to leave are adults in college.   That's different than small children who have bonded with their siblings and other "moms." Also, Drew had mentioned all of them sat down before the show and agreed if there was any risk after the show aired, they'd move.  April was on board, then suddenly changed her mind.  It was also (in my opinion) quite callous of her to insist on staying in Utah as long as possible when she was the only one NOT at risk of prosecution.  I totally understood Drew's anger and was cheering him on when he finally told her off.  She had that coming for a long time.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 6

Drewfus is a dickwad.  I don't like any of the Briney adults.  But to expect April to be on board with Drew's supposed "calling to polygamy" was completely selfish of Drewfus.  He expected her to let him boink others and "keep sweet."  FTS.  

I wonder if they're abusing the OR system now.  If he's writing bullshit pro-plyg crap?  Someone said he's a sci-fi writer.  Seems like he's wasting his law degree, but then, who would hire him?  Bleh.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, lezlers said:

Kody Brown has said that going on a tv show led to an investigation starting up on their family (which, of course, would lead any reasonable person to say "then why go on TV and out yourself if you don't want to be prosecuted?")  So I do think potentially that going on the show could lead to legitimate concerns about an investigation.  What I'm curious about is why they're saying April isn't at risk but everyone else is.   How does that work?  I can see Drew being at risk due to the new legislation making it illegal to even live as a polygamist (as an attorney I'm fascinated by the constitutional arguments that can be made against that law) but how would Angela or Auralee be at risk, but April not?  Very interesting.

The law applies to Drew, Auralee and Angela because they are the ones cohabitating with someone that is not a legal spouse and calling them husband or wife. April and Drew are legally married, so she's in the clear.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lezlers said:

Kody Brown has said that going on a tv show led to an investigation starting up on their family

To be honest, I think what led to the investigation of the Browns was when Christine showed off the community pantry that she filled with food stamps she used, then the rest of the wives said they would often raid that pantry for food to feed their families. That is illegal, abuse of food stamps, one of the laws that Utah WILL prosecute polygamists for. The Browns were investigated, then the case was closed three weeks before they made their Great Flight to Las Vegas.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

The law applies to Drew, Auralee and Angela because they are the ones cohabitating with someone that is not a legal spouse and calling them husband or wife. April and Drew are legally married, so she's in the clear.

Interesting.   I wonder how long before the issue is brought up in the courts.  I don't believe such a law is constitutional. 

7 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

To be honest, I think what led to the investigation of the Browns was when Christine showed off the community pantry that she filled with food stamps she used, then the rest of the wives said they would often raid that pantry for food to feed their families. That is illegal, abuse of food stamps, one of the laws that Utah WILL prosecute polygamists for. The Browns were investigated, then the case was closed three weeks before they made their Great Flight to Las Vegas.

For sure.  I actually tweeted Jenelle about this and of course, received to answer.   I really think THAT'S why polygamy is prosecuted in the rare instances it is.  Otherwise, they're really not harming anyone.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lezlers said:

I really think THAT'S why polygamy is prosecuted in the rare instances it is.

Yep. Welfare fraud and child brides. That is what the authorities are trying to stop with the polygamy law.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, lezlers said:

I love seeing how different people saw that scene.  I thought April was being unreasonably selfish and narcissistic over the whole thing, myself.   Drew is the only one who works, so my first thought was how is he supposed to afford a big house for them all to live in in the state of Oregon, plus continue to support April and 6 other kids still in Utah?  Then there's the siblings.  Even though Auralee's kids (Angela's doesn't quite count yet as he's only a few months old) have a sibling relationship with April's kids.  It wouldn't be fair to ALL of the children to rip half of them apart.  The kids April didn't want to leave are adults in college.   That's different than small children who have bonded with their siblings and other "moms." Also, Drew had mentioned all of them sat down before the show and agreed if there was any risk after the show aired, they'd move.  April was on board, then suddenly changed her mind.  It was also (in my opinion) quite callous of her to insist on staying in Utah as long as possible when she was the only one NOT at risk of prosecution.  I totally understood Drew's anger and was cheering him on when he finally told her off.  She had that coming for a long time.

Agree 100 percent

• Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, xwordfanatik said:

Drewfus is a dickwad.  I don't like any of the Briney adults.  But to expect April to be on board with Drew's supposed "calling to polygamy" was completely selfish of Drewfus.  He expected her to let him boink others and "keep sweet."  FTS.  

I wonder if they're abusing the OR system now.  If he's writing bullshit pro-plyg crap?  Someone said he's a sci-fi writer.  Seems like he's wasting his law degree, but then, who would hire him?  Bleh.

I’m not a fan of April, but you do make a good point here. They were married in the LDS church, supposedly “for time and eternity” for almost a decade before Drew had his “revelation” to practice polygamy. They have eight children together, so I’m assuming a good bunch were born before this decision. Sure, I guess she could’ve said no, and risked Drew leaving—but it’s not that easy. Having never lived in a plural marriage, April could have convinced herself that she’d be able to handle it.

Auralee and Angela, however have lived in plural families before—one as a daughter and the other as a wife. They should have been aware of what they signed up for. April can’t help that she was the first wife. Drew changed the rules mid-game. 

On the other hand, April’s resentment over the situation should be directed where it belongs, at Drew— not Auralee and Angela.

• Love 12

Something was seriously off with Melina. I don’t think she was mentally stable.

There is no way I could watch another season of the Snowden’s. I could not stand both of them. I yelled at the screen the whole time they were on. So Jakira looked better on the phone and Skype. She wasn’t a hot flight attendant. I knew that was going nowhere. 

• Love 1
On 3/12/2018 at 5:40 PM, jenifaohjenny said:

Something was seriously off with Melina. I don’t think she was mentally stable.

There is no way I could watch another season of the Snowden’s. I could not stand both of them. I yelled at the screen the whole time they were on. So Jakira looked better on the phone and Skype. She wasn’t a hot flight attendant. I knew that was going nowhere. 

I agree with you, it was probably another Meri type catfishing, maybe Melina thought they were swingers instead of Pligs- she could have been on the wrong website. I often confuse my Farmers only account with my Love an Inmate.com one   

• Love 4