Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Tamy Lyn's Story

• Start Topic

Tamy's eating addiction has caused her weight to balloon over 500 pounds.  She has become a hermit after years of shame, and hopes to restart her life so she can take better care of her son, Zachary.  

This is the regular episode thread.  It will unlock after the US East Coast showing.   

Without having seen this yet, I theorize that Tamy's name was Tammy, but she ate one of the m's.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

A reminder from the Mod note: Let's avoid discussing how money is being snatched from the public's wallet for the participants unless it’s specifically revealed on the show. Anything else is pure speculation not to mention also a slippery slope toward talking politics.

• Love 1
(edited)

Why have we not gotten another weight loss update?  She doesn't really look any different, even though I know she's lost lots of weight.

Edit: Never mind.  Huge mass on stomach.  Got it.

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 1

She did really well. I still wanna know what that mass weighs. She could be under 300 if they cut that thing off at this point.

Oh, well, show's over. Guess I have to go clear the snow off my car now.

• Love 10

Hooray for Tamy! I have hope she'll be able to keep that weight off. And once that extra stomach skin comes off, that's at least another 50 or so pounds right there. 

Very happy for this woman, she did a great job! She didn't gain weight at any of her weigh-ins at all. Unless I missed it, my cable went out from the snow and I had to watch from my phone, thus missing a few minutes. But anyway, finally a success story.

• Love 5

I cannot image what it would be like to be lugging around a stomach like that. It looked like a giant scrotum. Now I am fully anticipating that TLC will unveil a new series called "My Giant Scrotum" if they haven't already.

I was so happy for her at the end, though. She really accomplished a lot and I hope she continues to do well.

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Oh, well, show's over. Guess I have to go clear the snow off my car now.

Yuck. We spent the last couple days shoveling and snow blowing. Then the stupid snowplow driver came by and shoved it all back into the yard and driveway. With a smile on his face. Asshole. At least our trucks are able to be garaged. Makes it a bit easier. On the plus side, my twin toddlers loved the snow. 

Topic?? 

I'm really proud of Tamy! She really did amazing, and I hope she continues to do well, and gets that stomach taken off. Next week looks like a giant train wreck. And this week was a good episode after the sadness of last week. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I cannot image what it would be like to be lugging around a stomach like that. It looked like a giant scrotum. Now I am fully anticipating that TLC will unveil a new series called "My Giant Scrotum" if they haven't already.

They already have

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, mellowjoi said:

It looks like they are living in a Homewood Suites.  

It did look like they were in a hotel or something. They must have some extra money as several of the previous patients have been in hotels and were worried about spending so much money and were trying to find an apartment quickly.

I am proud of Tamy as well! I think she will make so much progress and keep losing weight. I want her to stay in therapy and keep working on her emotional well being. Perhaps one day she and James can be friendly without the co-dependency issues.

I didn’t hate James- he had his issues (like Tamy) but he did want her to succeed and lose weight. They were people that cared for each other but were bad for each other. 

• Love 24
21 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Yuck. We spent the last couple days shoveling and snow blowing. Then the stupid snowplow driver came by and shoved it all back into the yard and driveway. With a smile on his face. Asshole. At least our trucks are able to be garaged. Makes it a bit easier. On the plus side, my twin toddlers loved the snow. 

Topic?? 

I'm really proud of Tamy! She really did amazing, and I hope she continues to do well, and gets that stomach taken off. Next week looks like a giant train wreck. And this week was a good episode after the sadness of last week. 

It's so wet and slushy and heavy...my arms are gonna hurt tomorrow! I live in a condo so I have a parking lot. Usually we just have to clear off our cars and dig out enough to get out of our spot, then we all move our cars and they come along with the little bobcat thingy and push all the snow out of the whole section, but I wasn't out there before I heard them come along. The people around me didn't move, either, but I can get my car out in the morning and I don't think they'll come back around so I shouldn't get plowed back in. It's already so slushy and it'll be in the upper 30s tomorrow so it's all gonna melt anyway. As long as I can get out and get to work...

I wasn't paying attention to the commercials for next week; I only caught that it's brothers. I hope we get a follow up episode with Tamy.

Does it bug anyone else that TLC is apparently spelling "next" as "NXT" now? 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It's so wet and slushy and heavy...my arms are gonna hurt tomorrow! I live in a condo so I have a parking lot. Usually we just have to clear off our cars and dig out enough to get out of our spot, then we all move our cars and they come along with the little bobcat thingy and push all the snow out of the whole section, but I wasn't out there before I heard them come along. The people around me didn't move, either, but I can get my car out in the morning and I don't think they'll come back around so I shouldn't get plowed back in. It's already so slushy and it'll be in the upper 30s tomorrow so it's all gonna melt anyway. As long as I can get out and get to work...

I wasn't paying attention to the commercials for next week; I only caught that it's brothers. I hope we get a follow up episode with Tamy.

Does it bug anyone else that TLC is apparently spelling "next" as "NXT" now? 

Ours was wet too. We have to shovel the driveway from the garage door to the street and our sidewalk in front of our house, and our front walk from the sidewalk to our porch.  My husband did most of it yesterday, but we both ran out of steam, and it snowed more. He had to go back to work today, so I finished it. It didn't get above freezing today, so no melting here. 

Next week we have twins. 

I hope we have a follow up with Tamy also. 

And it bugs the crap out of me that they're spelling it that way. I'm dyslexic and stuff like that makes it harder to read. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Miracle Maxie said:

I’m glad we had a success story this week, but something still feels off about the whole season. Maybe it’s just gotten too formulaic after too many episodes.

I thought this episode felt off. Like she seemed to have some severe emotional issues but then was so successful. Part of me wondered if there was some acting going on. I know they cut parts of the therapy session, but I was turned off by the way she made it sound like her husband had been having an affair and was leaving her, with no mention of the fact they haven’t been truly married for years, all the while calling him abusive as he tries to help her out. The reality was that they were both barely out of high school and got married because she was knocked up without knowing each other well, so hardly an ideal situation for a stable, happy marriage. Of course, I thought she might be faking her hallway collapse, but the  Dr.  Now explained it was caused by pneumonia, so what do I know?

57 minutes ago, aliya said:

It did look like they were in a hotel or something. They must have some extra money as several of the previous patients have been in hotels and were worried about spending so much money and were trying to find an apartment quickly.

Well I think this episode stood out in that even though they were making unhealthy foods often, it was mostly home cooking. Without the enormous restaurant/fast food bills of the other patients, I have to think they would have a lot more money. The home cooking may have also helped her a lot with her wait loss goals. Like once she stopped eating frozen foods that alone would have cut calories and fat.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 88Keys said:
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

They already have

This was a very popular thread on TWOP.  Poor guy died, I believe.
I'm just starting this one, but am hoping she gets the skin removal first.

• Love 2

Frankly I'm not sure how I'm supposed to handle people who do what they're supposed to and are doing well lol. I'm glad for her and for her son, who will hopefully have a better life now. It's good that she and James are split and not depending on each other.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Miracle Maxie said:

I’m glad we had a success story this week, but something still feels off about the whole season...

TLC cutting and pasting voice overs makes it feel like the old Twilight Zones.  

• Love 3

I would very much like an update on her. Has she had that huge abdominal mass removed? If so, how much did it weigh? She has done remarkably well sticking to the weight-loss program, especially considering what was happening in her life. She has admitted to being an emotional eater but she has stuck with her diet and has moved forward. She’s an inspiration and I wish her all the best!

• Love 12

Tamy did well, which was a nice change to see and surprised me, but I admit that there was something that annoyed me about her.  It seemed like she was emotionally still that 18 year old that didn't grow up.  Especially with her going on about how could she lose weight without James to be there for her and help her, etc.  Tamy, you have a son, suck it up and just do it.  I also wondered why her son didn't seem to be in school and had all this time free to go to doctor's appointments.

• Love 10

I thought this was one of the best episodes too.  So glad for Tamy and her family.  Were she and James actually married or just living together.  I sure would like a revisit to update us on Tamy.  

I did notice something that I found odd in something that James said to the son.  Something about if he didn't eat the dinner, he couldn't play on the computer.  Under the circumstances, I find that kind of pressure an odd thing.  I mean, the son wasn't underweight.  And they are dealing with life threatening obesity, so, you throw out a threat so someone eats against their will?  Odd.  Reminds me of a family member of mine who would chide an overweight toddler to eat everything on his plate.  Boggles the mind. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought this was one of the best episodes too.  So glad for Tamy and her family.  Were she and James actually married or just living together.  I sure would like a revisit to update us on Tamy.  

I did notice something that I found odd in something that James said to the son.  Something about if he didn't eat the dinner, he couldn't play on the computer.  Under the circumstances, I find that kind of pressure an odd thing.  I mean, the son wasn't underweight.  And they are dealing with life threatening obesity, so, you throw out a threat so someone eats against their will?  Odd.  Reminds me of a family member of mine who would chide an overweight toddler to eat everything on his plate.  Boggles the mind. 

Zachary may have eating issues due to his autism. Just because he wasn’t underweight didn’t mean he was getting the nutrition he should be, linking dinner to his computer time may have been a way to ensure he didn’t survive on junk etc. 

• Love 12

A very confusing episode, did her mother die and why no older siblings in her life ? or Tamy first son ,no mention of him either only the younger son Zachary  and her jerk husband for support. a very sad life but she did very well without the surgery

• Love 5

I got a late start watching so I FF'd through parts and I may have missed it - did they say where her other child was?  I'm pretty sure I heard her say they had two children together.

I don't fault James for moving on and finding another girlfriend (I did wonder if the new woman is overweight).  James was kind to take Tamy in when she had nowhere else to go, and he clearly had his own demons with the bipolar aspect.  However, Zachary is his child and he still has a responsibility for him.  Why did he feel it was OK to leave Tamy with responsibility for their son? 

I think Tamy was motivated because she knew James' generosity and patience was on his way out the door and if she didn't figure out how to become independent she would be in big trouble.  Also, apparently (as I mentioned above), James wasn't interested in taking full responsibility for Zach.  Where would she and Zach end up?  Nursing home and foster care for Zach?

That stomach was just - yuck!  I would love to see her without it!

• Love 4
(edited)

On another site, I saw an update from her daughter in law. She said that Tamy is a very sweet and kind woman and an amazing grandmother. Her husband and her were not on the show due to work conflicts (plus they have kids). I guess she is still doing well. I thought she said she got the mass removed. 

I was very proud of how she did. I cheered at that last weigh in! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 24
2 hours ago, skipnjump said:

Tamy did well, which was a nice change to see and surprised me, but I admit that there was something that annoyed me about her.  It seemed like she was emotionally still that 18 year old that didn't grow up.  Especially with her going on about how could she lose weight without James to be there for her and help her, etc.  Tamy, you have a son, suck it up and just do it.  I also wondered why her son didn't seem to be in school and had all this time free to go to doctor's appointments.

I also kept saying suck it up buttercup.

• Love 1
(edited)

I also admired her from not cheating over the drama with her husband. And despite him being a jerk, he did take care of her and encourage her. 

I did read the mass hasn't been removed yet. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Can we agree that the narration is so cheesy I'm surprised the people on the show don't try to eat it?

"Sometimes the hardest prisons to get out of are the ones we create ourselves..." said somebody who has never taken a tour of Alcatraz. 

That same platitude, in those exact words, has been used by several of the pounders over the years. I think the writers need to script some new ones 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, skipnjump said:

I agree.  Tamy was mostly decent and definitely had some internal demons to overcome, but was annoying at times.  Her full blown tantrum about James sabotaging her progress because he wasn't going to move her to Houston was a pretty childish and melodramatic.  He's taken care of her even well past the time when they were husband/wife, lets her live in the house and really seems to care about her.  Isn't he allowed to move forward?  Yet another subject who made the world revolve around themselves.  "No one is helping, woe is me!".  However, on the spectrum of narcissism, she was only a little over the line so it was more bearable.  That and the fact that she pulled herself together made me want her to succeed. 

I like these stories way more than the train wrecks, unfortunately we haven't even posted more than a single page whereas by the day after the episode aired Lisa had  bout 10 pages.  Not ratings gold, I'm afraid.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I agree.  Tamy was mostly decent and definitely had some internal demons to overcome, but was annoying at times.  Her full blown tantrum about James sabotaging her progress because he wasn't going to move her to Houston was a pretty childish and melodramatic.  He's taken care of her even well past the time when they were husband/wife, lets her live in the house and really seems to care about her.  Isn't he allowed to move forward?  Yet another subject who made the world revolve around themselves.  "No one is helping, woe is me!".  However, on the spectrum of narcissism, she was only a little over the line so it was more bearable.  That and the fact that she pulled herself together made me want her to succeed. 

I like these stories way more than the train wrecks, unfortunately we haven't even posted more than a single page whereas by the day after the episode aired Lisa had  bout 10 pages.  Not ratings gold, I'm afraid.

I stayed with the whole show because I liked to see someone progressing. I usually watch just bits and pieces of the trainwrecks or turn them off. 

• Love 4

"Sometimes the hardest prisons to get out of are the ones we create ourselves..."

UGH! It reminded me of that nonsense old Rose says about Titanic being a slave ship taking her back to America in chains.

• Love 7

she did an amazing job losing weight---even though she said she got off track a few times, she really did well. Wonder when they will take that horrible stomach fat--seems like that would be a horrible operation but worth the results. I actually thought she looked lighter at the end. I thought it was great that James stayed with her but in my opinion leaving a week after the surgery was not the best timing. I often wonder how they afford to move and stay in hotels. I wish her the best. I was also thinking, Dr Now must have support groups for these people, I mean so many of them have moved just to be near him, so when the therapist was saying to reach out to someone, dont you think they would have online forums and groups for those who can get out??

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Miracle Maxie said:

I’m glad we had a success story this week, but something still feels off about the whole season. Maybe it’s just gotten too formulaic after too many episodes.

LO. Probably from the social media sites saying things like "I hated him/her so bad I couldn't even watch"  so guess they figured they better put some nice people on for a while. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

I understood Tami's fear about not having any help to get her to Houston, she was scared. I did, however notice that it was when Dr. Now first said that he would take her as a patient and eventually get her to weight loss surgery that James starting backing off! And getting kind of mean to her again. (I thought he must have gotten off his bi polar meds or something there was such a drastic change in hi.  He said in the beginning, he liked Big Women, so was that part of it for him?

Sometimes I think these relationships are so unhealthy. The spouse wants a fat woman. Woman wants to get healthy, and without  the roles of caretaker and "patient" dynamic it just doesn't work.

I don't mean to be cruel here, but honestly when they married, Tami was still a knock out even a big size. Poor James, sheesh, somebody hit him with an ugly stick at that age.  SO I think Tami settled for him, thinking she couldn't do any better. 

• Love 13