Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Finale

• Start Topic

The final two chefs cook the meal of their lives in an effort to take home the ultimate title and prize; the chefs need to impress not only the judges but also culinary superstars Nancy Silverton, Jonathan Waxman and Curtis Duffy.

(edited)

Cheerwine!! Yes! Yes! A North Carolina tradition!!! 

We’d get the side eye from cops when we were in high school, cruising up and down main street, drinking a Cheerwine. The can and logo looked a lot like a brand of beer.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 5
(edited)

I feel some kinda way about the altitude affecting the food so much in the finale. (I love Denver. It's a beautiful town with lovely people. Been there many times, but still...) I just want to see them cook great food, with great ingredients under perfect circumstances.

Weird final two. Adrianne's been middle of the road at best for most of the competition & Joe had to fight his way back after being eliminated. I don't know know who to root for; I think they are both lovely talented people.

Éric Ripert! *squee!*

(Oopsies! I missed the beginning when the show aired live. They are in Aspen.)

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 8
(edited)

Awww damn.  Ah well, I figured Joe would win.   Nice to have a finale with 2 chefs I liked though.  Chris and Carrie were my favorite sous chefs too.  Good season.

20 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I'm loving the "Tiny Kitchen takes" on the top two's dishes.  lol

Loved this! 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 4

In rare moment of Padma snark (for me), I cannot believe that the former Mrs. Salman Rushdie wrote a note that read "Please meet me and Tom..."

One thing I really loved from this episode was that you saw both chefs be calm, centered and thoughtful enough to work through numerous iterations of their dishes until they were happy with them. Usually it's just nerves and energy and stupid mistakes. This was nice.

However, I thought that Adrienne's menu showed much more creativity and talent than Joe's. I really believed she would win until the last second. I was really impressed with her whole menu. Joe, only with the second course and dessert.

I'm glad this season is over.

• Love 15

Adrienne picking Chris and Carrie made perfect sense, with the possible caveat initially that Chris seemed totally checked out when serving as a sous in the previous round, but he seemed more engaged this time and I quickly relaxed.

I was so glad Joe picked Fatima, so I can have her on my screen again.  “We’re going to go Pakistani” when Tom looked at the team and said, “So I assume you’re doing Italian,” was funny.  So was Carrie asking, “How many pastas, four?”

I like how much fun everyone seemed to be having – the chefs and their sous liked working together, the chefs enjoyed competing with each other, tempers didn’t flare when things went wrong, the sous chefs were diligent and helpful, chiming in without trying to take over, nervous about screwing something up and affecting their chef’s chances.  It was just a really pleasant kitchen, and that atmosphere has been something I’ve liked all season.

I love that both cooked their hearts out, made four tasty dishes, and it came down to the slightly greater of two great meals.  As talented as the final two in almost every season are, it’s not often we hear a judge say both deserve to win.  And they both wanted it, but had mad respect for the other and were going to be pleased for the winner despite being disappointed it wasn’t them.  Good season, and good finale.

With that said, I really wanted Adrienne to win this – I wanted to see southern cooking come out on top (it's not my favorite cuisine, but it doesn't get its proper respect, and she seems to do wonderful things with it), and I definitely wanted to see a black woman take the prize.  And it seemed to me like she should have, because they were pretty neck and neck, but she hit the first course out of the park, and that plus Joe's chewy meat should have meant she came out on top.  But I’m not only not tasting the food, I’m only hearing a small amount of the judges’ commentary.  If it was very close to a tie, as it was presented, I hope it was indeed his food and not subconscious bias that edged her out. 

First course:  Adrienne’s dish looked so much more interesting.  I’d have enjoyed eating both of them, both were beautifully presented, and there was great technique in both, but Adrienne’s was something I’ve never had before.  She’d be my clear winner that round, and seemed to be their clear winner -- the judges’ praise for it was astounding; what a terrific moment that must have been for her!

Second course:  I don’t like grits, so I don’t know how to cook them – but aren’t they something you don’t want a novice making for the meal of your life?  Maybe I’m confusing them with something harder to cook.  At any rate, Carrie nailed them, so go Carrie, and go Adrienne encouraging her to "just cook!"  Joe’s pasta looked delicious.  I’d have wanted Adrienne’s octopus more, again for something I don’t find very often, but the color on that pasta!  I want to eat that round’s food over and over (I’d even try the grits); both looked divine.

Third course:  I hate black-eyed peas (I hate all beans), so I’d be all over Joe’s this round if looking at a menu, because ribeyes are my favorite steak and I love his side ingredients, too, but to serve chewy steak?  Sacrilege!  Asparagus cooked in asparagus juice, though?  I’m going to try that.  If I could have had Adrienne's ribs and Joe's vegetables, I'd have been in heaven.

Dessert:  I also hate bananas, so I’d have preferred Joe’s just on personal preference, but again Adrienne’s seemed more interesting and creative.

• Love 12
(edited)

Based on the comments, the finale wasn't even close...I get the feeling it was a resounding Joe Flamm victory. He basically won the 2nd and 4th courses, Adrienne won the first, and the third was leaning towards Joe also.

Although I appreciate Adrienne's passion for southern cuisine, it seems like she cooks her best food when it is not related to Southern cuisine, or uses French technique to redefine Southern cuisine. Her third course seems to be too close to traditional southern cuisine. Her first course looked amazing, though.

Edited by bobbobbob199
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, The Solution said:

In rare moment of Padma snark (for me), I cannot believe that the former Mrs. Salman Rushdie wrote a note that read "Please meet me and Tom..."

I don't get it. What is the significance of her writing that?

• Love 5

I thought that Adrienne had this in the bag and was honestly shocked when Joe’s name was announced.  

I wonder if it was the dessert that carried the win for Joe. (I really like Tom C. and love his causes.  I don’t think he’s a sexist pig).  

I really liked both of these chefs and would love to try both of their menus.

• Love 11

Another white guy winning on Top Chef.  In 15 seasons, there has only been 4 female winners.  No black or Hispanic female chef has ever won.  And a chef won who was openly gay?

They need to bring this show into the 21st century - and represent more diversity.

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I like how much fun everyone seemed to be having – the chefs and their sous liked working together, the chefs enjoyed competing with each other, tempers didn’t flare when things went wrong, the sous chefs were diligent and helpful, chiming in without trying to take over, nervous about screwing something up and affecting their chef’s chances.

Yes, that was great! Carrie was so nervous! But she did well. I would have picked her, too. She's clever.

Favorite moment (since I didn't get a favorite moment of Adrianne winning) was Fatima's "If this is a competition of who loves Joe Flamm the most - I win."

• Love 18
1 minute ago, Michichick said:

I'm a little tired of last chance kitchen winners winning the whole show

Yeah, I want that part of the show done away with. It’s like Survivor’s idol idiocy or secret island shit.

• Love 20
(edited)

I have to start by saying that the Final Five were some of my favorite chefs on TC all-time and yes, I really liked Mustache Joe after he started off rough in the first couple of weeks. 

When Joe Flamm’s name was announced as Top Chef and I was so instantly elated, it made me realize I was hoping for him to win the whole thing.  I hated that he was sent to LCK in a sudden death quickfire.  He had to battle hard to get back to the main kitchen.  Over and over, his food is what I would want to eat.

Loved and admired Adrienne and think she is a wonderful person and creative chef, but I slightly preferred Joe Flamm to take it all.  If she’d won, I would’ve been happy for her, without a doubt.  

I was fascinated and pretty wowed by Joe Sasto’s technique on that river rock pasta he made.  The little hand rolled green tortellini looked yummmmm.

After Claudette’s exit, I sure enjoyed this season.  Bring on Kentucky!

Edited by MerBearHou
Mentally blocked out Claudette’s accurate name
  • Love 14
9 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

I think Too Chef does a pretty great job of representing diversity.  The LGBT population has always been represented.  The winner should win on their own merit.

Kristin is openly gay & arguably one of the most talented chefs to win on the show.  

So is Tiffany Faison. 

1 minute ago, LeighLeigh said:

Graham might actually be handsome with different glasses.

You ok?  Did you get a flu shot?  

• Love 22

Excellent footage and explanations of the techniques and ingredients. Such a great groups of Chefs this year but I must admit missing a little drama. 

Andy Cohen makes me nauseous - will the fan favorite be posted on one of the threads? Go Fatima!

• Love 2

I love the comraderie this year. Top Chef went classy this year and I enjoyed the season thoroughly. Thank you to this forum for some enlightening conversations.

Next up : Top Chef Canada which debuts on April 8.

• Love 17
18 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

Tiffany didn’t win a regular season though.  

She redeemed herself in so many ways though! I'm proud of her! Not sure I could do a 180 like that and be such a better person! ;-)

• Love 4
(edited)

I appreciated we got to skip the drama of everyone going home and returning to the finale in some exotic tropical location, carrying little satchels of special secret ingredients.

Joe melting down an enormous pig head--oh dear--to distill a flavorful essence into a BROTH that is just one of the peripheral elements in his dish:  why he's a Top Chef and I never will be.

Breaking news:  Fatima is the Fan Favorite.  She's on Satan Andy's show right now--with a knit beanie and a backpack to support her chemotherapy gear?!  I had no idea.

Edited by candall
  • Love 19
(edited)
3 minutes ago, candall said:

I appreciated we got to skip the drama of everyone going home and returning to the finale in some exotic tropical location, carrying little satchels of special secret ingredients.

Joe melting down an enormous pig head--oh dear--to distill a flavorful essence into a BROTH that is just one of the peripheral elements in his dish:  why he's a Top Chef and I never will be.

Breaking news:  Fatima is the Fan Favorite and she's on Satan Andy's show right now--with a knit beanie and backpack to support her chemotherapy gear?!  I had no idea.

Padma took a picture with Fatima while she was in the hospital going thru chemo; she lost her hair! It was posted somewhere! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 3

Imma gonna tell y'all why Adrienne could NOT (be allowed to) win, because otherwise Joe Flamm and his tough, "chewy" (per Gail)  beef should have hit the road, Jack:

She got a cooking tip DURING the competition from Eric Ripert.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

Padma took a picture with Fatima while she was in the hospital going thru chemo; she lost her hair! It was posted somewhere! ;-)

I re-punctuated so it was clear my "Breaking News" was the Fan Favorite announcement.  (I never ever get to post the latest scoop.) 

I could tell, on Watch What Happens, that Fatima's chemo was pretty well-known.  But I hadn't heard and it was shocking to me!  All good wishes, Fati.

• Love 9

I knew the diversity thing was gonna rear its head if Adrienne lost. I totally get it and I agree. But as a black woman myself, Adrienne deserving to win Top Chef  isn't the hill for me to personally die on. Nina Compton though? I will die on that hill everyday and twice on Sunday. She was absolutely robbed and should have been the first black woman Top Chef.

Yes, she came on in recent weeks but Adrienne was terrible the majority of this competition and better chefs were voted out before her. She should have never made it to the finale. In fact I had a feeling if she did make it to the finale, even if she cooked the meal of her life, they would nitpick her into a loss because when you look back at her journey as a whole, naming her the best of the best would have been a stretch like no other.

I like Joe. Adrienne seems lovely. But I felt very cheated with this final two. Justice for Carrie and Chris. The finale we deserved.

Here's hoping that next season is better. A lot better.

• Love 23
8 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Imma gonna tell y'all why Adrienne could NOT (be allowed to) win, because otherwise Joe Flamm and his tough, "chewy" (per Gail)  beef should have hit the road, Jack:

She got a cooking tip DURING the competition from Eric Ripert.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

I wasn't going to bring it up, but since you mentioned it . . .

It was just a little bit weird for Adrienne to phone up Eric Ripert and tell him her tuile wasn't coming out right.  Oh, right!  Whisk it in the pan.  Thanks!

I don't even know how you make "the eye of a ribeye" chewy.  That's a primo morsel of beef and the color looked right.  Was that when they were talking about "it rested too long"?  I guess too much of the juice re-absorbed?  Someone please explain--I don't ever want to pay ribeye prices and serve chewy meat.

• Love 3

I was so conflicted while watching. I love both Adrienne and Joe and their meals were SO different, but both sounded delicious. I especially loved their support of each other (including but not limited to Joe buying Adrienne ingredients).

Props for the Planned Parenthood pins, judges. Respect.

• Love 16