Type keyword(s) to search

Polygamy Discussion: Not That There's Anything Wrong With That

• Start Topic

On 10/27/2019 at 9:41 PM, DakotaJustice said:

She should just self publish on Kindle and offer as an unlimited or at $1.99 or something. I haven't had physical checks in years!!

Her book is on Kindle, but for $9.99

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

IDEAS TO ANALYSE. A CLOSE LOOK MIGHT PROVE IT TRUE. NOONE TARGETTED. ONLY TO HELP US.

Who believe they achieved the perfect family :

Self-centered, arrogant, selfish, @ close look : deep-within downright hateful as desguised competition.

Momogamy :

- zero-reality based

- outcoming in unhappiness

- against knowledge : ignoring childs follow incalculation - "happy" child only reacts, while frustrated.

Polygamy :

- for the true reality of the pure birth enjoying life available outside of humans and rules

- on a pure body level : the purpose of the genital sex is to reproduce, and it does work.

Ethics :

The "same age" rule should be practiced, as a younger one is - plain fact - always a kid, to the older one.

Sadness :

From not knowing which to to choose. A boy may wait 15 years to marry 1 of 3 girls wanting him. All may end up without child.

Source of monogamy :

Conquerer-generated money to pay professionnal violenters (soldiers) to conquer workers in their name. Into paying taxes by that money. Into regular, normalized, praised, publically worshipped, extortion-access to items. Into ability to add more of that money.

System :

In that system, fitting the system comes as the first absolute norm of doing good. There monogamy is convenient.

Society failing & always has been :

Many unhappy women - faithful-submitted to choice-loved husband, forbidding thoughts from talking.

Respect :

All come&go @will, women respected - no real man jails a woman whyever -, all owner share with needy.

• Love 1

So for reasons I do not fully understand--except I seem to be a glutton for punishment---I am following up my binge watching of oddly numbered seasons and episodes of Sister Wives by binge watching the "Escaping Polygamy" show.   I had probably seen most of the episodes back when they ran; there were a few that were new to me.  Kollene who was one of the anti-polygs in the panel discussion with the Browns and who spent time with their kids is fairly prominent in it.  The three main women are from the Kingston Order, but they have helped to extract people from the FLDS and the AUB.   For the life of me, I do not understand why they don't put on prairie dresses and wigs when they meet with the FLDS women, because they stand out in their colored hair, jeans, and skimpy tops.  I know the show has a lot of recreations, but it drives me nuts when they load up the moving vans with everything but the kitchen sink.  I really think I would just tell people to bring a change of clothes, a few pictures, and also all your id stuff, and then we would get the hell out of Dodge.

Oh, and I also tried to watch "Big Love," but I barely made it thru the first episode.  Nope, probably not going to binge watch it. 

• Love 5
On 3/22/2018 at 4:28 PM, kicotan said:

Some anthropologists believe that polygamy has been the norm through human history. In 2003, New Scientist magazine suggested that, until 10,000 years ago, most children had been sired by comparatively few men. Variations in DNA, it said, showed that the distribution of X chromosomes suggested that a few men seem to have had greater input into the gene pool than the rest.

Completely missed this topic and spent the past 30 minutes catching up. Found this old post which really got me thinking, hence this very late reply:

From an evolutionary point of view this really makes sense. When you look at animals, particularly those that live in groups/herds etc. you often see that only the strongest and healthiest males are allowed to mate which strengthens the gene pool. Our prehistoric ancestors were very different from us and considering this and the era they lived in, it makes sense that the strongest males (thus the best hunters and warriors) were the most eligible partners and sired the most children. They may have had more than one wife and possibly tried to limit offspring from other (weaker) men in various ways.

And there is also the simple biological fact that a single male could potentially sire dozens of children in one year whereas a woman typically has only one. And there is also the fact that a man can easily sire 15 kids whilst maintaining his health and body physique whereas such a large number of babies would take a massive toll on a woman's body. So, when you look at it that way, it makes sense that (quote)  a few men seem to have had a greater input into the gene pool than the rest. And that women have a smaller influence as they have less children.

Now back go polygamy...not sure how this all fits in. I personally am a strong believer in monogamy but I do sometimes wonder if we were 100% made/wired to be so considering the large number of infidelities and divorces worldwide. I am not buying the crap that God decreed this as a prerequisite to go to heaven but I do respect other ways of living (like polygamy) if that is what people freely choose to do.

KICOTAN thanks for this topic, found the posts and your contributions really interesting. It's  sometimes nice to not just watch shows but to really think about the  how or why of things.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I have a different oddball perspective on polygamy. My husband recently discovered via DNA test that his father isn’t his biological father. His bio father was part of a huge Mormon/LDS family. The tree is enormous, including lots of Youngs, Allreds and Jessops. He has hundreds of first cousins. We’ve been in contact with a large number and the answer is almost always the same.....yes my family was LDS and polygamous but no one of this generation. Not one so far even considers themselves LDS. 

I think people have moved on from the hide bound practices of generations past.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
(edited)

I hope it's okay to keep posting stuff from Reddit here. This information about Christine's heritage is fascinating:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TLCsisterwives/comments/o0ju6v/the_allreds/

ETA: if you read through the thread the OP gives more detail on Christine's grandfather, Rulon Allred, and his publicity-seeking ways. There's even a link to a newsreel featuring Rulon and his wives and kids.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Useful 6