Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

Barbara's condition is not improving and she is kept in isolation at the hospital, leaving her friends able to do nothing but wait for more news. Dr Turner and Shelagh assist a man being held in a remand home whose wife is pregnant, while Lucille makes some new friends.

40 minutes ago, snowwhyte said:

I wasn't sure but the minute they had her recover slightly and had everyone visit her I knew she wasn't going to make it. 

I was sure she was just going to end up losing a limb or two. 

(sniffles)  Poor Barbara and poor Phyllis as well. 

• Love 4

Well, I did not see that coming. I thought that they were going to go with the loss of the use of her hands and then several episodes of her coping with not being able to work anymore. Poor Phyllis. And Tom, I guess. But really, poor Phyllis. 

• Love 5

I would change part of the ending because the scene with Lucille going to the church service should have ended with her walking into the room. We didn't need the singing of Amazing Grace. When we'd just lost Barbara, it took away from our mourning and the poignancy of Phyllis finishing the psalm.

Heidi Thomas has been pushing Lucille to the front too much. I'd rather see one of the nuns struggling with her devotion to the religion than have so much of Lucille.

• Love 5
(edited)

Damn, they killed Barbara?? I'm in the states, so it hasn't aired here yet but I saw something on another board, so I did a quick Google search and found an article with a clip about Barbara's death. Aside from Phyllis, Barbara was my favorite nurse, so this is a bummer. Was it explained how she developed meningitis? I feel bad for Tom, but I feel sadder for Phyllis for some reason. Maybe it's because she's older and it's tough for her to make friends, while I expect Tom will eventually remarry.

But, damn, poor Barbara, dying so young. I think she's the first nurse the show has killed off. Jenny, Chummy, Cynthia, and Patsy have all been written out when the actresses wanted off the show. Seriously, though, what is up with these British actresses quitting the show after only a few seasons? It's not like the show is that big of a commitment, they only film 8 episodes per season; it can't possibly interfere too much with other acting gigs. Anyway, just don't kill Phyllis or Shelagh and I should be okay for the rest of the show's run.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 6

Bye, Barbara.  I wasn't super attached to her but I still bawled like a baby.  Phyllis was so devastated…Barbara really was her best friend.  And Tom looked wrecked.  I loved the scene of him shaving after Phyllis and Barbara noticed the scruff.  I'm kinda sad Trixie probably won't be around for the funeral (didn't see her in the preview).

On a happier note, I'm glad Lucille went to a different church.  Standing up in the face of racism is important, but it's also exhausting.  Sometimes you need to feel welcomed and wanted.

• Love 18
On 08/03/2018 at 7:55 AM, bunnyblue said:

Anyway, just don't kill Phyllis or Shelagh and I should be okay for the rest of the show's run.

Agree. But the core of the show has always been, for me, Jenny Agutter. Her being both a nun and midwife beautifully brings together the two different lifestyles into one statement of wisdom, love and empathy. 

• Love 8
On 3/7/2018 at 3:55 PM, bunnyblue said:

Seriously, though, what is up with these British actresses quitting the show after only a few seasons? It's not like the show is that big of a commitment, they only film 8 episodes per season; it can't possibly interfere too much with other acting gigs.

There just isn't the same job insecurity or competition in the UK as the US. There's always some play or film or show being produced so they're never out of a job or having to compete with thousands of other actors which means they're always free to try out different roles unlike American actors who know they likely won't get another shot and therefore cling to any role they can for as long as possible. Even shows don't last that long  or film more than 10 or so episodes unless there's American interest or it's a cheap to make, well loved show. 

• Love 5
On 3/7/2018 at 2:55 PM, bunnyblue said:

Seriously, though, what is up with these British actresses quitting the show after only a few seasons? It's not like the show is that big of a commitment, they only film 8 episodes per season; it can't possibly interfere too much with other acting gigs. Anyway, just don't kill Phyllis or Shelagh and I should be okay for the rest of the show's run.

European TV contracts for actors are not like the American contracts.  The U.S. usually makes actors sign contracts for 6-7 years to lock in an actor for a main character, for what is a usual run of a TV show.  However if they choose to kill off, or write out a character, they are required to pay a percentage in severance for every year left of their contract.  In Europe, I understand they only make the contracts for 3 years, or in some cases year to year.  This way is the series decided they don't want them anymore, or the actor wants to leave; they can do so a lot easier and without penalties.... This is also a benefit too, when you have an actor that is hostel on set, or maybe an alcoholic that delays filming, it is the easier for the studio to get rid of them instead of being forced to keep them on to avoid a multi-million dollar payout.  This is why in alot of U.S. shows you see them keeping characters that are well known problems, or the character isn't getting the traction they expected; because the lump sum it would cost the show to cut them loose is more than they could afford.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Love 6

I accidentally spoiled myself on Barbara's death but show, WTF?! If the actress didn't want to be on the show anymore, she had already been neatly written off for half of season 7 already. Why bring her back just to kill her? And POOR TOM. Ugh. Sad.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, vesperholly said:

I accidentally spoiled myself on Barbara's death but show, WTF?! If the actress didn't want to be on the show anymore, she had already been neatly written off for half of season 7 already. Why bring her back just to kill her? And POOR TOM. Ugh. Sad.

She didn't want to be tempted to come back

• Love 1
4 hours ago, vesperholly said:

3 hours ago, Lilacly said:

She didn't want to be tempted to come back

Plus of course, once they’d married her off to Tom, the only way for him to stay when she left was to kill her off. 

• Love 1

I went through half a dozen Kleenex by the end of this episode. Poor Barbara, Tom, Phyllis, all of them really. 

So sad about the young couple too. I thought he wouldn’t get sent to jail and then they gave him three years. 

And then there was the end with that beautiful rendition of Amazing Grace. 

• Love 10

I lost it when Phyllis the non-believer picked up Psalm 23. I really, really lost it when Phyllis escaped Nonnatus House and broke down weeping outside. Nurse Crane is the MVP of this season.  

I also cried when Allison brought the baby to meet Michael. The babies on this show always get to me.

I wish they hadn't had to kill Barbara off; no doubt there were reasons. I went in to the episode not knowing whether she'd make it. But whenever a character starts talking (or being talked to)  about green fields and moving to the country and making idyllic plans, it's pretty much a certainty they are done for. The plotline, if it had to happen, was done well. The last few scenes with Barbara and Tom were very good. 

Only one pregnancy this episode. They're getting away from the midwifery. Changing times, I know, but that was what made the show so special in the beginning.

• Love 18

I was spoiled for it, and I still cried.

And then they dragged out Amazing freakin' Grace, and I sobbed at the TV for the first time since Chummy's mom died.

I'mma need a moment.  Pass the Advocaat.  And leave the bottle.

• Love 10

Barbara had meningococcal meningitis and sepsis not streptococcal. The rash and possible amputation are part of this. Amy Purdy , the Paralympian, was a victim of this disease.

Edited by flash
Can't spell when I can't see the keyboard in the dark.
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I felt the same way and left the room as soon as wardrobe guy started talking!

I turn the TV off as soon as the credits roll. I don't care about the PBS features that take away from actual show running time.

• Love 3

Well, damn, show.  That was uncalled for.   You bring her back just to kill her off?  That's just cold.  

Totally got me, though.  And poor Phyllis!  Phyllis and the 23rd psalm!  Phyllis sitting outside on the steps breaking down....  crap, now the room is getting dusty again...

• Love 7

This is ridiculous. Every time you turn around, people are leaving the show. I'm really peeved about them killing off Barbara.

I don't care about Lucille's feeling out-of-place when Barbara and Tom and characters that have been around for more than two seconds are dying and hurting. And I like Lucille's character; she's really sweet; but her story, especially the loud singing, was just jarring after Barbara's death. It really deflated the drama.

Never thought I'd say this, but maybe it's time to end the show. It seems like the heart has gone out of it. Instead of delivering babies, it's turned into pure soap opera. :(

• Love 8

I spoiled myself several weeks ago, so I knew this was coming.  I'm glad I did because my dad has had two run-ins with sepsis.  The first one was rather serious.  Not quite as serious as Barbara's because he survived, but I was glad that this didn't come at me from out of the blue.  I thought the actress who plays Phyllis was terrific, and Jack Ashton did great work as Tom.  I know that Barbara wasn't the flashy type, but she loved Tom and he loved her.  I'm glad that he put the ring made of grass on her finger.  I thought that was quite touching.

It will be interesting to see how Tom copes with his own loss.  Usually, he's the one doing the comforting.

• Love 4

Well, I certainly picked a hell of a time to catch up on this show! Good Lord, this show goes through characters like an audience member goes through tissues! 

Freaking Phyllis and Psalm 23. *sniffle*

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jschoolgirl said:

PBS couldn't give us just a few extra minutes to process!

No, no, no! We had jump right in to the bold! bright! fashions!

This was the only night where that truly, truly annoyed me.  Especially knowing that we missed parts of the episode so they could throw that behind the scenes stuff.  Any other time my reaction is "oh well" but this night was the wrong time to cut stuff out, wrong time to waste 10 minutes and definitely the wrong time to say look how bright and cheery our costumes are.  

So to the episode.........Well Crap.............I knew the outcome long ago (stupid spoiler headline on the UK news site!) but not the details.   Having her know she was dying though, that honest conversation with Phyllis, the goodbye to Tom.........Well Crap that was cruel and heartbreaking.   Have to say though Linda and Jack brought it tonight.  Especially Linda, the look on her face when she walked into the hospital room for the last time, the prayer and especially when she sat on the steps and cried.  And there was something so sweet about seeing the whole cast waiting for them and the group hug. 

And as much as I like Barbara I have no complaints - I still think this show is a good solid hour of well done TV, there are still so many characters I care about and I really want to see where this is going, with Tom, with Trixie when she comes back and with the rest of them.  And since it was Charlotte's choice to leave the show I can't blame them for choosing to kill her off instead of keeping her off screen since her not being there affects Jack's appearances too and it becomes hard long term to have him on but not Barbara .........after all where has Ben Caplan's character been now that Miranda isn't on the show?  Yes he quit but not until she did (not that I wouldn't love to have Chummy and Peter back even for one guest shot!).  

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 18

Well the show continues its tradition of having a character disappear only to bring them back to kill them/write them out of the show. I hope Barbara leaving was the actresses choice and not the writers setting up Tom & Trixie as end game.  I have some predictions of how the story goes from here and I really hope I'm wrong.  

• Love 2

So, after drying my tears, let me just say a few things.

First the actress who plays Phyllis deserves ALL THE AWARDS. 

Props to the rest of the cast, but actress playing Phyllis? ALL THE AWARDS

Second, having been royally and hatefully burned and abused by prior British shows who took their rage against the actor leaving out on the audience (YES DOWNTON ABBEY AND JULIAN FELLOWES POINTING THE FINGERS OF RAGE DIRECTLY AT YOU AND THE FUCK THE AUDIENCE ITS CHRISTMAS DAY TIME FOR A RANDOM DEATH ENDING OF SEASON THREE WE'RE TOO PISSED AT THE ACTOR TO CARE ABOUT THE AUDIENCE), this was a tasteful and emotional way to allow the audience to grieve and move on. 

I get it, the actress was leaving, and we were allowed to let Barbara go in a way that allowed us to grieve and to see our other characters grieve as well. 

• Love 20

They decided it was Ok to trim scenes with Tom and Barbara on her deathbed????  WTF are you thinking PBS? Last week I was watching the season finale of Victoria and PBS was doing their begging/pledge drive.  I was just about to phone in and give them a piece of my mind on how they edit shows, and then I remembered I was watching it recorded on my PVR,  I think I will still send an email to them because I am actually offended that they cut this episode to show the bright and cheerful dresses and get everyone excited about seeing Trixie in a mini skirt,

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, Fireball said:

hope Barbara leaving was the actresses choice and not the writers setting up Tom & Trixie as end game. 

If you do some Googling, you'll find articles that say that Charlotte did want to leave.  One of the articles that I read said that she had been doing three series in the UK for the past couple of years and just wanted a break.  I think what they did was the best way to handle it, and I understand why they brought Barbara back just to have her die.  They had to have a definitive end to her story.  Tom is a bigger character than Chummy's husband is/was.  He was a policeman that we saw occasionally.  Tom is the curate in Poplar, and he works with the nuns who work with the midwives.  Just because Charlotte wanted to leave doesn't mean Jack should have also had to leave.  The only other way for Tom to plausibly stay on the canvas would have been for Tom and Barbara to suddenly have marital problems that would have had to come out of nowhere.  As sad as this was, I like it better.  Tom and Barbara loved each other.  This storyline honors that, gives Jack an opportunity to stay, and Charlotte the opportunity to do other things.

• Love 3
On 3/4/2018 at 1:29 PM, snowwhyte said:

I wasn't sure but the minute they had her recover slightly and had everyone visit her I knew she wasn't going to make it. 

Yep, as soon as that happened, I knew she was going to die. Stupid show, did the damn writers forget what the words happy endings or hope mean?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peggy06 said:
4 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I felt the same way and left the room as soon as wardrobe guy started talking!

I turn the TV off as soon as the credits roll. I don't care about the PBS features that take away from actual show running time.

The credits run over the previews for the next episode, which are shown AFTER the PBS features. 

So why didn't any of Barbara's family show up? Will they even be at the funeral?

14 minutes ago, J-Man said:

The credits run over the previews for the next episode, which are shown AFTER the PBS features. 

So why didn't any of Barbara's family show up? Will they even be at the funeral?

The preview for the next (last) episode showed the funeral procession. But we know from the end of last season that her parents went abroad (don’t remember where) for two or three years when her father got a missionary assignment (this caused them to move up the wedding so he could officiate), so I don’t know if she’ll have family. 

• Love 3

Fuck and I watched this thinking it would be a nice way to recover from the Handmaid's Tale. That was truly sad and I don't even like Barbara that much. She was to similar in personality to Sheliagh and just plain dull for my taste. I do wonder though if at some point Tom and Trixie might rekindle their romance. They've both grown a lot since then. It would be a way for the writers to make lemonade out of the other actress leaving.

59 minutes ago, J-Man said:

40 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

The preview for the next (last) episode showed the funeral procession. But we know from the end of last season that her parents went abroad (don’t remember where) for two or three years when her father got a missionary assignment (this caused them to move up the wedding so he could officiate), so I don’t know if she’ll have family. 

Barbara’s father is abroad and I think her mother is dead. No mention of any siblings that I remember. 

• Love 1

I'm bummed that Barbara died, but I accept that writing decision, characters die in shows.  I am more pissed that finally we get some of the small, intimate moments in scenes that are what make this show great, AND which have been sorely missing this season, then PBS chooses to trim/edit them.  I am depressed, I think a need a Chummy fix!

• Love 6