Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S02.E13 Go Pirates!: We're All Out Of Liquid Evil

• Start Topic

I had to stop before I finished the podcast, I'll get back to it, but I just wanted to say whut? do you mean kids don't bully/tease other kids about their parents? Studies have been done about the children of morticians. I'm sure the kids of proctologists have stories. Kids who smell because their dad works in a sewage plant. Kids with no dad. Kids with two dads. Homeless kids. etc. 

In Neptune, while we know Logan bullies Veronica because he feels deserted by his friends, he is able to garner support because her father has lost status and respect. 

Now that I think of it, too, Mac has her shady/open businesses and Wallace has basketball and Veronica solves crime. Wanda has a side business as a narc. Weevil has his gang activity and his family. None of the '09ers have anything their parents didn't give them. Logan isn't a competitive surfer or an actor or model; Duncan doesn't have two startups under his belt; Lilly isn't --whatever Lilly would want to be. Only the 09er Pariah, Cassidy, has broken away from the mold and maybe the less said about that the better. 

I think the racism and classism is pretty entrenched in the town, too, so I'm not surprised to see it in teachers. 

• Love 1

Aughties martyrdom, might we add; dig the 13-inch mini and fuzzy boots on that background actor.

If I had to pick just one look to date this episode, it would be that one.

whut? do you mean kids don't bully/tease other kids about their parents? 

Maybe kids are meaner now, but in my day, your parents' shit was your parents' shit. It wasn't "off limits," it just...wasn't used. Granted, I grew up in a schmancy suburb, and the "shit" in question was, like, the dad going to Club Fed for insider trading. One classmate's dad left his mom and came out; that was a conversation-stopper back in the '80s. And then there were certain...other parental occupations...that you weren't going to clock anyone for in North Jersey, IYKWIM. 

I'm not saying it doesn't happen or didn't happen, and my school was not typical for a number of reasons, but I do still think the incidence is far higher and more severe in fictional narrative than it is IRL.

(edited)
14 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Maybe kids are meaner now, but in my day, your parents' shit was your parents' shit. It wasn't "off limits," it just...wasn't used. Granted, I grew up in a schmancy suburb, and the "shit" in question was, like, the dad going to Club Fed for insider trading. One classmate's dad left his mom and came out; that was a conversation-stopper back in the '80s. And then there were certain...other parental occupations...that you weren't going to clock anyone for in North Jersey, IYKWIM. 

I'm not saying it doesn't happen or didn't happen, and my school was not typical for a number of reasons, but I do still think the incidence is far higher and more severe in fictional narrative than it is IRL.

Let me make your case for you.

Logan is a bully and if you google the characteristics of a bully It isn’t out of character. Pre series Veronica seems like a victim. Quiet, lets Lilly order her around, hides behind her hair, virginal and easily shocked. A bully is a predator and V seems like a good choice for prey. That her father is shamed in front of town is irrelevant except that his easy prey is wounded. Score! Of course trope averted. She isnt a victim. 

Casablancas the Elder is a bully and Dick imitates him. Cassidy presents with the outward characteristics of a victim. In this episode we learn that Cassidy bullied Dick. He was the one most like their father. Trope averted again re appearances and Preconceptions but also not really about Dad’s issues  with the law.

ultimately bullying is exploiting weaknesses. If it isn’t a weakness it can’t be exploited. Alcoholic parents, thieving parents etc May often be a cheap shot from the writers room.

Let me make my point. 

The 09ers are presented as gaining their self worth from the money and status afforded to them by their parents and as near as I can tell not much else. Look at Madison and her birthday parties. Logan and his over the top drunken parties. In this context it is a real loss to someone like Sean Fredrick if his dad is a butler and yes in some places no one would care. It is not a thing or just a thing tv writers do. It is the essential fabric of the show. (And why Bill Gates kids aren’t trust fund kids.)

I do think the sexworker storyline was  insensitively chosen. They do this later with the antigreek women. Also a lot of rape. So much rape.  Not the best choices in the 21st century, if ever 

Edited by Affogato
23 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Also I’m sorry. I don’t watch most of the fictional narratives, certainly not the high school dramas. I avoided this show when it was first on the air. I’m not a connoisseur. You may be right as a reviewer of such shows but I think if you are a marginalized kid a lot of this may strike true because in high school appearances are everything. 

I'm sorta agreeing with everyone here: I don't think kids pick on other kids for what their parents did unless it was particularly heinous (in contrast, neither Dick nor even Beaver - Cassidy! - seem to get picked on for heir father's fleeing the country, a rather more obvious sign of probable guilt), and I went to a hoity-toity private school. Bullies have plenty of ammunition based on everything else (too short/fat/poor/ugly/unfit/shabby/slutty/nerdy etc.) to go looking for more reasons to pick on people. As for the trans shaming,  Miss Gasm (of the Boston Gasms) is presumably a person of negotiable affection who has been asked to do far worse - if the price was right. Also:

Spoiler

It was set up by a guy who is a multiple murderer, which I think is a more serious offence!

Love (no longer Vice) Principal Clemmons' acknowledging his "Frenemy" status with Veronica with his "And that's why I sometimes listen to my students!"

• Love 1