Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: My Best Squirrelfriend's Dragsmaids Wedding Trip

• Start Topic

Morgan hissing like a swan! And defending it! I liked that bit. I am enjoying Bebe less and less, and I hope she hasn't damaged her career or image by returning to the show.

Shangela in the lip sync fat suit was everything! Maybe this season a big girl will finally win?

• Love 9

Morgan has had her 2nd and 3rd chance and has proven that her ass was not up to the challenge. Also Kennedy proved that she should have gone home. Now all of this makes me a tiny bit pissed with DeLa because I wonder what she and Aja would have done with challenge.

Bebe is kind of full of herself.

Shangela in the fat suit. She did not come to play.

• Love 12
(edited)

Am I the only one thinking that Ru needs to hire new people to come up with sketch ideas, new scripts, challenges? IMO the best part of tonight challenge was Trixie using the baby hand to brush her hair.. And looking back this season, the only really funny one was The Bitchelor, but that was up to the queens to create their own material =_=.

Thank god the LPFYL wasnt a snooze otherwise it would be like third week in a row?

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, CaioF said:

Am I the only one thinking that Ru needs to hire new people to come up with sketch ideas, new scripts, challenges? IMO the best part of tonight challenge was Trixie using the baby hand to brush her hair.. And looking back this season, the only really funny one was The Bitchelor, but that was up to the queens to create their own material =_=.

Thank god the LPFYL wasnt a snooze otherwise it would be like third week in a row?

I am guessing RPDR doesn't hire writers with the WGA and that's why the scripts for the comedy challenges have been so lackluster (although 9021-Ho from S9 waa hilarious, IMO). 

• Love 1

I was sad for Kennedy when she said she feels like a second tier queen with the fans ... but in my heart I know I'd stampede a line for Shangela or Bob but would stroll right by BeBe or Kennedy. The first two I feel like I'd have a chance for a joke and some lively banter, but what would the others give me? A pretty smile, I guess.

I've already sworn fealty to Raja, but this season, Shangela is bubbling up to the top of my favorites list. Love her talking head interviews, and that fat suit lipsync made me laugh loudly for real.

• Love 13
(edited)

I feel like since Season 6, all seasons of this show I've been thinking "hey, it's not as good as it used to be, but it's still my favorite thing on TV, yay Drag Race!"

I have hated this season. It has been some repetitive, lazy ass bullshit. I may have preferred AS1 to this version. At least that had that Rujubee lip sync that gives me a much-needed cry every time.

The queens themselves are carrying the show's dead limp ass body on their shoulders, and I've laughed at many of the talking heads and chatter with each other (tonight's post-runway sitdown with Bebe not having seen the show* and Kennedy calling memes "mi-mis" had me roooolling), but the show itself is just so completely flaccid and I really do worry that production and Ru will have no awareness of it or motivation to improve. 

I'm really tired of all these templated challenges -- when the roles themselves aren't assigned, they can pick their character with an already pre-defined aesthetic. The writing for that skit was fucking terrible. It was like the Boobarella shit in Season 3, where most of the "trailer" was just the characters being shown with one line, and the interactions between the characters were just idiotic. And encouraging all five of them to overact their faces off??? Might as well make the directive "make this as fucking irritating as possible". The way they did this same challenge in AS2 was way more manageable and entertaining, splitting them off into groups of two. Two queens fighting for who can be the most is a lot better than five trying to do the same in basically the same amount of time. I honestly couldn't say that I liked really any of them in that hot ass mess, or that any of them were glaringly awful either. There wasn't enough end product to judge from! Also, maybe let's not repeat the exact same challenges! I'm sad that the Mike Ruiz photoshoots have gone away, but now we have really irritating season traditions like the big group lip syncs to weird character-voice original songs and badly written movie/TV show parodies (even in Season 4, were it not for Latrice I think the Hot in Tuckahoe sitcom parody challenge would have been forgettable at best and super grating at worst). And we're sacrificing funny mini-challenges and full runways for these tedious pointless queen deliberations. Man, I just hate it.

I'm fine with Shangela winning, partly because I don't care about the LSFYLegacy in general, but I kiiiinda thought Trixie did a better job? I like the idea of the costume change, but I'm getting a little tired of the stunts and props. Shangela acted like an over the top clown -- Shangela did Shangela. Trixie I thought actually felt the song (to whatever degree you can really feel a Rupaul song -- don't get me wrong I like a lot of her tracks but they're not great to lip sync to necessarily) and went outside of her normal shtick to actually do a pretty serious attempt at a sexy dancy thing, with a much more sparing amount of humor.

I think that's my remaining problem with Shangela. It made me laugh when she called out Bebe during the challenge as not doing The Queen as a character but playing Bebe. Yes, true, but for me that is such a pot/kettle situation. I have never seen Shangela portray a character that wasn't just Shangela. And because she is soooooo loud and on all the time, I find it exhausting and often pretty unfunny (like the Bitchelor thing, she was just yelling punchlines that had little to do with anything). And it's frustrating to see Trixie praised for stretching herself, because they're not asking the same of Shangie and they really should. They basically never have, in three seasons! It's maddening. 

And damn, was Kennedy's runway look rough. The bad makeup aside, she was padded or cinched really weird -- she looked like she was in her second trimester, it was odd.

*I'm guessing Bebe's watched at least most of the seasons, but just once? Ornacia might be a deep pull at this point if you aren't suuuuper into the show, which I wouldn't necessarily blame her for. But damn that was funny.

Edited by annewithaneee
  • Love 10

Well, I enjoyed Ru laughing her ass off at Shangela's chunky stripper dance moves. That was pretty fun to watch. Sad to see Morgan go again so soon; but that was one hell of a sharp look for the runway and I wanted to see more. I wish we saw more makeup table discussions - those are my favorite moments, as people say more interesting things there, less scripted things, and I love watching the technique... Weird final four. This is Shangela's to lose - good story arc, too.

• Love 6

I think it was classy of Bebe not to reveal her lipsticks-- her choices are easy to predict (eliminate Kennedy, bring back Aja--probably leading to her and Aja being bottom 2 this episode, considering how Aja bombed the bitchelor) and it's just pointless drama anyway to bring them out after the fact.  Shangela is becoming the Wendy Pepper of this season with her stupid insistence that everyone else is just using 'strategy' like she is.  And wtf is "the house" that she kept referring to?  Please no more G.O.T.    

It was obvious who the top 2 would be, but we also know that if Bendela was here she would have knocked this challenge out of the park too, sigh.  I wish there was more time given to the runway and taping and less (at least 150% less) to pelosi.   This was definitely not a memorable episode, most of it was just retread. 

I'm definitely in favor of Shangela winning, she's shown the most growth and has been higher ranking then the other remaining girls and her win is also the best overall story/comeback from her original run.  Trixie's reluctance to even wear a brunette wig shows just how much she's been dedicated to only showing her character this season and she's been mostly underwhelming, so I don't see it. Bebe is fabulous, and she obviously didn't need to grow since she won, but she is showing the same material that got her the crown in the first place, and I don't think that should earn her a second right now.  So, I hope it's Shangela, but I would really loe it if at the last minute Ru called Bendela in from the back-stage and inducted both Shangela and Bendela into her hall of fame, as a one-time deal. 

• Love 3

I usually try not to dwell on the past eliminated, but I missed Ben in this episode and I agree that he would have wiped the floor with the challenge and probably would have won his 6th challenge.And, I wouldn’t be shocked if they found a way to induct Dela, like an honorary HOF.

The lipsync was fire, probably my favorite, along with Jump between shangela/Ben, but they really did not build off of last weeks amazing episode.

This episode made me really like and feel so bad for Kennedy. Trying to pronounce meme, will ultimately lead to a meme itself. But when she talked about how her career would end up compared to the others was so fucking sad. 

• Love 8
(edited)

The skit was painful. I don't think any of the parts were well fleshed out. And I wonder how much direction Ross gave in the sense of tips on how to embody the characters. I know they all came from popular movies but each queen may not have seen those movies.

I love Kennedy. I think her talent is underappreciated. But the show does not play to her strengths. Kennedy needs to be seen live to really appreciate what she brings to drag. I think if she had won more challenges that would have been more obvious. Or if the bottom queens had to save themselves with lip syncs. Her story about Drag Cons broke my heart though. I'd totally go to her line and not as an afterthought.

Morgan was always at a disadvantage. I would have found it weird if she ended up in the top 4 after avoiding numerous challenges including hard ones like Snatch Game. At least this top 4 have gone through it all.

This has to be Shangela's to lose right? I cant see any of the other 3 in the HOF.

Edited by Couver
  • Love 4

HBO should be paying fees for Shangela's promotion of GoT on this show this season.

She is on fire. Team Shangela.

I have to agree with Kennedy, Bebe IS behaving like Milk when it comes to not listening to the critiques about what she is not doing during the challenges. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Couver said:

I love Kennedy. I think her talent is underappreciated. But the show does not play to her strengths. Kennedy needs to be seen live to really appreciate what she brings to drag. I think if she had won more challenges that would have been more obvious. Or if the bottom queens had to save themselves with lip syncs. Her story about Drag Cons broke my heart though. I'd totally go to her line and not as an afterthought.

Morgan was always at a disadvantage. I would have found it weird if she ended up in the top 4 after avoiding numerous challenges including hard ones like Snatch Game. At least this top 4 have gone through it all.

This has to be Shangela's to lose right? I cant see any of the other 3 in the HOF.

I think it is great that Kennedy is being so honest about what she has experienced during her Drag Cons appearances. I went to the NY Drag Con last year and made an effort to participate in all of the Queens meet&greets or stop by their booths.

Very true. It would have been very weird to have Morgan in the top 4. 

• Love 1

Shangela's imitation of Bebe silent side eye was hilarious.

This week's skit was definitely not the best I've seen on the show. I kept waiting for it to get funny.

Not surprisingly, Shangela did well in the skit even though based on what we saw, she didn't have a lot of funny lines. Her runway look was so crazy and over the top. I don't even know what to all those protrusions. Tentacles?

I get why Trixie was annoyed that she told Morgan two different characters she was interested in playing and then ended up being assigned one that she hadn't mentioned (and I was laughing/rolling my eyes when she said that she didn't want to play this character because she didn't want to wear a brown wig!), but it all worked out because she ended up doing a pretty good job with her character. When she used the doll hand to brush back her hair, I was cracking up! Her runway look wasn't fancy, but it was a cute way to stay within the theme and still stand out.

Morgan's beige swan character wasn't very good, but I loved her runway outfit. She looked gorgeous and that costume was amazing.

Bebe as the queen was not a stretch so I totally understand why Morgan gave her that character. When Bebe acted surprised, I was like girl, which character did you think you'd be better suited for? Acting is NOT her strong suit. Morgan did her a favor by assigning her that role because she would have bombed all of the others. I was totally with Trixie's assessment of Bebe's unshakable confidence and her denial about the judges' critiques of her lackluster performance.

Kennedy could have done so much with her La La character and she didn't seem to know what to do. Her runway look was pretty but not impressive. I did feel bad for her when she said that on tour, all the fans flocked to the other lines and then came to get selfies with her five minutes before time was up.

OMG I was laughing so hard at the backstage conversation. Bebe doesn't know who Ornacia is! Trixie and Shangela are yelling about Bebe never watching RPDR after her season! Kennedy thinks meme is pronounced MIMI!

Trixie gets credit for trying at the LSFYL but even without the fat suit, it was clear that Shangela was in it to win that $10K.

I know  the rules are whatever Ru says they are, but part of me is glad that Morgan was eliminated. It would really not be fair for a queen who was eliminated in the first episode to come back and only do two challenges to make the final four.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, BloggerAloud said:

This season overall just feels so underwhelming because the emphasis has been way more on the elimination shenanigans than it is on the drag.

Yes! This is a big part of the problem, plus the elimination twist is hurting the queens and the show. I hope the get rid of it and make the judges do their job. The normal format allows girls who are fierce dancers to do what they do best if they're in the bottom two, this format loses that as well.

• Love 5

"The race is closer than ever.... "

Yeah... it sure is, because the damn clear winner done 'aufed' herself.  *sigh*  #TeamBendela

The skit was a horror show, but I think Trixie did a great job in it, including the not so subtle references to julia roberts as Erin ... "Big mistake... huge"... 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Bebe as the queen was not a stretch so I totally understand why Morgan gave her that character. When Bebe acted surprised, I was like girl, which character did you think you'd be better suited for? Acting is NOT her strong suit. Morgan did her a favor by assigning her that role because she would have bombed all of the others. I was totally with Trixie's assessment of Bebe's unshakable confidence and her denial about the judges' critiques of her lackluster performance.

I think Bebe was joking in her talking head about that, personally. Like "Who, me? Regal? I don't see it...". 

I thought it was a little weird that she got the note to be louder and more pronounced and then she did....we didn't see Ross ask for even more or to try something different with her character. We did with Morgan, who I think to her credit did incorporate his notes and commit.

In the end, it's not like it really mattered -- the skit was bad, it was a bad idea, badly written, and imo I don't know that anyone shone as much as Shangela and Trixie made the material just bad instead of awful? And Morgan was going home anyway unless she won. Having a queen return for the penultimate episode of the season was just dumb. Like, even reality shows that have the returning hopefuls doing separate challenges (Redemption Island on Survivor, Last Chance Kitchen on Top Chef) to prove they've earned the right to return (vs just being sequestered in a hotel room which I'm guessing is what, at most, they did with these queens...though I wouldn't be surprised if WoW just released them into the wild because they couldn't be bothered with paying for hotel rooms and handlers) wouldn't bring somebody back the episode before the finals. The whole thing was just dumb, and it was super obvious Morgan was going to be out. She could have won, except she's not an acting challenge queen anyway. She's a lip sync assassin. Which All Stars has no place for, but they keep casting queens whose previous most legendary moments have been LSYFLs (Coco, ChiChi, Kennedy, Morgan, arguably Alyssa and Roxxxy, etc). 

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Morgan did [BeBe] a favor by assigning her that role because she would have bombed all of the others.

• "I'm not sure why Morgan would give me the queen -- she's so uptight and snooty."
  • "Why on earth would Morgan make me the dancer -- there are others known for that skill."
  • "I'm the last person who should be the beige swan -- I'm from Africa."
  • "Why would I be given Actavia -- I don't even know who that is."
  • "It's odd that Morgan would want me to be Frockovich -- I've never been a shit-stirrer.

Disclosure: I don't know about or follow any of the queens outside the show (except for discovering the Trixie and Katya show last month), so my opinion is based on the limited info I see on TV. I find BeBe to be somewhat uninspiring due to her lack of range, and that's also what annoys me about Trixie. The same makeup story, same big yellow or pastel hair, same type of fashion ... it's boring. The fact that Trixie complained about having to be a brunette was a little exasperating. I understand being good at one or two things and specializing, but can anyone really be a "drag superstar" if all they do is stay in their lane?

• Love 7
(edited)

Can you imagine if Ben had stayed and eliminated Kennedy and had brought back Aja? And then imagine someone directing who knows what they're doing? And then imagine this casting:

Ben -- the Queen (he could have slayed literally any part but is the only one who could have slayed the queen)

Aja -- Beige Swan (in a video on youtube he said he would have wanted to do Beige Swan and I think he could have killed it with the proper direction)

Trixie -- Erin Frockovitch
Shangie --  Actavia

Bebe -- Lala (she wouldn't really have been good at any of them -- maybe Beige Swan because she can serve weird faces but also I hate her so I don't care what part she plays)

With that casting and proper direction, it might have overcome the terrible writing.

I am soooo ready for season 10.

Edited by Nerdlove
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

And Morgan was going home anyway unless she won. Having a queen return for the penultimate episode of the season was just dumb. Like, even reality shows that have the returning hopefuls doing separate challenges (Redemption Island on Survivor, Last Chance Kitchen on Top Chef) to prove they've earned the right to return (vs just being sequestered in a hotel room which I'm guessing is what, at most, they did with these queens...though I wouldn't be surprised if WoW just released them into the wild because they couldn't be bothered with paying for hotel rooms and handlers) wouldn't bring somebody back the episode before the finals. The whole thing was just dumb, and it was super obvious  

Exactly. It only hit me this week that last week twist was asking the winner to send a queen that earned a place in the semifinal home and bring back one direct to the semifinal. Again, I dont think it was Ben´s original ideia (he really wanted to give more airtime to the queen he sent home week 1) but it make even more obvious on how ridiculous this was. The bring back queens twist only kinda worked on regular seasons with top 3 finale, with the brought back queen returning by top 6. They even dropped it in the past 2 regular seasons because it wasnt making much sense anyway with the eliminated queen going home the week after. Once again, it was done just to force queens to send others home but on a unfair level that even the other All Stars seasons didnt reached.

Trixie and Shangela had to fake to the cameras how hard of decision this week was, but it wasnt. It wouldnt sit well in any level to send any other queen home but Morgan. Her only option was to slaaay the challenge and win and still wouldnt sit well/look fair. Also, even if they would want to be strategic/secure their victory, both Shangela and Trixie must know that Be Be and Kennedy are no contenders for the tittle, so no reason to do a low move like this right before the finale.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 2

These skit challenges are almost always cringe worthy and this was one was no exception.

Morgan's runway looked great but there was absolutely no way she was staying past this episode.

Shangela grew on me. I still don't like the GOT references and I'm convinced she plays the same character for each challenge but she is witty, and funny and she entertains me. I won't be mad if she wins but she will truly have that asterisk (for me anyway) because Ben eliminated herself. 

Kennedy - I felt bad what she said about her experiences at dragcon and I fully agree with the race/drag race issue that was brought up in the previous episode thread for me but she just doesn't do anything for me. She always misses the mark for me. (I feel that way about several queens on each season regardless of color.) Her styling choices always baffle me and aside from the character on the Bitchelor, I don't think she did anything great that justifies her spot in the top four. 

Bebe - I've been watching this show since it's Vaseline lensed season 1 so I have some love for Bebe but I felt going in this that she was not going to win. She plays it very safe which worked on the first season of this show but probably doesn't now or any other season going forward.

Trixie - I find her talking heads hilarious and wish she brought this energy earlier in the game. As such, any other win aside from Shangela doesn't really make sense.

This All-Stars format truly needs a revamp (and a hiatus). 

• Love 4

We should give a little credit for both Shangela and Trixie (Shangela in particular) for not send each other/play the ´´I gonna send a big competition home``. Can you imagine had Shangela sent Trixie home that week knowing she could become her direct competition (as she did)? We could have a top 4 made of Shangela, Be Be, Kennedy and Chi Chi =_=. So, at least, despiste how hard producers tried, we didnt got the same shenanigans as last season with the lame Rolaxkatox.

• Love 1

Who did Ru' s hair and makeup! Weeeeeoooooooooweeeeeeeoooooooweeeeeoooooo hey Mathieu back STAT!  She looked terrible! It broke me!  Her face looked like someone smeared poo on it instead of contour and didn't do any highlight at all! Then that wig! RU! YOU ARE MORE FABULOUS THAN THAT!  Edges looking all taped down but coming up!  I love her for days amd would never would have sent her out looking like such an ass.

I also love me some Ben but dang I was glad she wasn't inn this LSFYL! I wanted to see other queens and they don't disappoint. 

Finally, I like Kennedy. She has this low energy sense of humor that kills me! I'd be first in her meet and greet line.  

• Love 2

Wow.  That episode was terribly edited.  The runway was another blink and you miss it coke head's dream.  And the skit was also edited down to nothing more than the bits we already saw.  Where did all of the time in the episode go?

Shangela should get hazard pay because the bitch has been carrying this whole season.  She is the only one with anything funny to say in a talking head (with the rare exception of trixie) and her candid scenes are also a hoot.  That BeBe side-eye was dead perfect.  I find BeBe's grande dame shtick tiresome, but I think she's great on the runway.  She does command one's attention and that's a natural gift.

I can't muster a jot of sympathy for kennedy.  Her whine is precisely why she doesn't attract any interest.  Most of her talking heads are her whining or bitching about something or someone.  (This seems to be a theme with southern queens.)  She's rarely, if ever, witty.  She's incredibly defensive and insecure.  Her looks are very staid, repetitive, and unexciting.  You're an entertainer.  You need to learn to be on.  To loosen up.  Enjoy the moment and draw people in.  The problem is not race or some injustice.  The problem is your own insecurities.  Stop worrying about others and learn to love yourself.  Because....

Hands down to me, the single most brilliant performance in the history of this show was Newark's Little Richard.  It was so clever, so on point, and so perfectly over the top.  If she can channel that creativity, she'd gain a following fast. 

This episode was a dud.  Imagine how much worse it would be if we didn't have our hostess, shangela, to get us through it.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, kissedbyarose said:

Trixie - I find her talking heads hilarious and wish she brought this energy earlier in the game. As such, any other win aside from Shangela doesn't really make sense.

I cannot recall, how many wins does Trixie have for this season? I think it is two.

Thanks in advance. 

I loved Trixie's "big mistake. Huge." Because that wasn't Erin brokovich at all, it was pretty woman.

I don't like all the backstage drama. They waste so much time on that, we barely get any drag. Shangela's dress inflated and deflated? Bebe did a face reveal, an Morgan had a kilt lifting moment and it flew by or was left out entirely. 

• Love 3

That lip sync by Shangela was possibly the funniest thing ever on Drag Race. In her first 27 appearances on the show, I was rooting against her, but now I'm adamantly rooting for her to win.

Trixie has got a lot of deserved criticism this season, but I will give her this: She's slightly more talented than Nicole Paige Brooks.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, butterbody said:

I loved Trixie's "big mistake. Huge." Because that wasn't Erin brokovich at all, it was pretty woman.

I don't like all the backstage drama. They waste so much time on that, we barely get any drag. Shangela's dress inflated and deflated? Bebe did a face reveal, an Morgan had a kilt lifting moment and it flew by or was left out entirely. 

I thought people would love all that time spent between runways and challenges since there's no "Untucked!" We really need to come to a consensus on this! lol! ;-)

I still think Ru should just give Ben the crown in the finale next week, if not then go Trixie. I'm so over Shangela even with the fat suit reveal stripper dance. 

Also, it just wasn't the same without Alaska and Chad's crazy Handmaid antics. 

I'm glad you mentioned the cruelty in Shangela's LSFYL in your recap, Mark. I could tell that there were funny elements to it (who doesn't love the running man), but that meanness was too much. I felt humiliated the whole time watching it, knowing that it was using overweight women--like me--as a punchline, and hearing the judging panel die laughing was...hard.

• Love 6
On 09/03/2018 at 2:54 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I get why Trixie was annoyed that she told Morgan two different characters she was interested in playing and then ended up being assigned one that she hadn't mentioned (and I was laughing/rolling my eyes when she said that she didn't want to play this character because she didn't want to wear a brown wig!), but it all worked out because she ended up doing a pretty good job with her character. When she used the doll hand to brush back her hair, I was cracking up! Her runway look wasn't fancy, but it was a cute way to stay within the theme and still stand out.

Trixie gets credit for trying at the LSFYL but even without the fat suit, it was clear that Shangela was in it to win that $10K.

I know  the rules are whatever Ru says they are, but part of me is glad that Morgan was eliminated. It would really not be fair for a queen who was eliminated in the first episode to come back and only do two challenges to make the final four.

And when she covered the baby's eyes during the cop's dirty dancing routine! Hilarious!!

I might be wrong, but I felt like Shangela wanted to win the LSFYL not so much for the 10K, but more to make sure Kennedy wasn't going home. Maaaaaaaybe Trixie wouldn't have eliminated her anyway but... better safe than sorry, I guess.

As for Morgan's elimination, I agree with you that it probably made sense that she was eliminated, but at the same time I couldn't help but thinking "what a waste". Also Morgan's reaction, plus the fact she had already commented on how it's kind of customary that the revived queen gets eliminated immediately, kind of gave it away that she had always known there was no way she would win this. Which makes me even more mad at my beloved BenDeLa for probably knowing Morgan would be eliminated the first chance they got, and still choosing her over Aja, who instead would've had a real shot at winning the title. 

Anyway, now I'm "Natalie Imbruglia torn" between Trixie and Shangela while left dreaming of a final episode starring BenDeLa and Aja instead of Kennedy and BeBe (who IMO should've been long gone by now), which would've at least given some sense to this otherwise uber dull All Stars season. Fingers crossed for season 10.

Edited by stormy weather
On 3/8/2018 at 11:27 PM, annewithaneee said:

And we're sacrificing funny mini-challenges and full runways for these tedious pointless queen deliberations. Man, I just hate it.

Thank you!  It's horrible how quick the runway goes like an afterthought, I have to pause just see what they're wearing.  I pine for the good old days too.

• Love 7
On 3/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Bebe as the queen was not a stretch so I totally understand why Morgan gave her that character. When Bebe acted surprised, I was like girl, which character did you think you'd be better suited for?

I feel like that whole "What me, standoffish?" was an act.  And it wasn't funny.  I find her boring af.  And it still bugs me that a winner is in AS.

Edited by noveltylibrary
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, doingthejackal said:

I'm glad you mentioned the cruelty in Shangela's LSFYL in your recap, Mark. I could tell that there were funny elements to it (who doesn't love the running man), but that meanness was too much. I felt humiliated the whole time watching it, knowing that it was using overweight women--like me--as a punchline, and hearing the judging panel die laughing was...hard.

Yep. Agree 100%. I was disappointed.

• Love 3

I'm not entirely offended by fat suits in general, but this just felt like it didn't go anywhere. It wasn't a very well-done fat suit. It appeared to be a man's body, actually. It felt like something that would have been edgy and/or humorous back in the 1990s when "Fat Monica" actually (kind of) worked as a recurring joke on Friends. As soon as I saw Shangela in that fat suit I just cringed because I knew people were gonna hate it. I also thought it was weird that the judging panel was so tickled pink by the sight of it.

• Love 3

Shangela is so obviously a producer plant running a tightly plotted script that I can't even pretend to suspend disbelief with this season anymore. And with Dela gone there's not much exciting left to watch. 

And I know it's All Stars, but this all feels so damned recycled. 

The show badly needs to find some new, fresh talent (of any age) while somehow avoiding vapid Instagram queens. 

On that note, just realized I know nothing about the S10 queens yet. Here's hoping.

15 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I'm not entirely offended by fat suits in general, but this just felt like it didn't go anywhere. It wasn't a very well-done fat suit. It appeared to be a man's body, actually. It felt like something that would have been edgy and/or humorous back in the 1990s when "Fat Monica" actually (kind of) worked as a recurring joke on Friends. As soon as I saw Shangela in that fat suit I just cringed because I knew people were gonna hate it. I also thought it was weird that the judging panel was so tickled pink by the sight of it.

I loved it because it was perfect for the song and so unexpected.  (I actually thought she had 10 outfits to reveal.)  I didn't care how unrealistic the fat looked.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:28 AM, TheLukeP said:

The skit was a horror show, but I think Trixie did a great job in it, including the not so subtle references to julia roberts as Erin ... "Big mistake... huge"... 

Haa I missed that!  I'll always be pissed that she stole the Oscar from Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream!!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, violet and green said:

Trixie has all of no wins this season. (I think...?!) She's been in the top two twice.

To be fair, in All Stars the two who lipsynch for their legacy are both considered "winners of the challenge." The winner of the lipsynch is like another level of win.

As a larger lady, I was worried when Shangela first did her reveal, but then when she got into it, I have to say her character for the lip sync was projecting such confidence and joy in her performance that I didn't feel insulted at all. I legit was surprised when there was a whole bunch of blowback at Shangela, but I suppose in retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised given the scrutiny the show's under at the mo'.

I've always disliked it when the queens do a "fat" character and show that she's fat because she's just eating all the time. Ho ho! That to me is really insulting, and I'm never comfortable with that depiction at all. But Shangela was dancing around like she was living her best life and feeling it, and while the look was being used for comedic value -- trashy, fat girl -- it didn't come off as cruel to me. It came off as being loud and proud and working it for the money.

So I won't argue with people who were insulted by it. That's fair. But for me, I loved that she was shown being happy and active and into her groove -- and no constant eating jokes. 

• Love 14
9 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

To be fair, in All Stars the two who lipsynch for their legacy are both considered "winners of the challenge." The winner of the lipsynch is like another level of win.

Only one is the winner. Usually (apart from the challenge where Shange and Dela shared the ten K between them) only one wins the ten thousand dollar 'tip', and only one chooses the queen to go home... and Ru always declares that one the winner. Trixie has not won a single challenge, therefore. She has been top two, and also bottom three a couple of times.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2018 at 3:19 PM, Fiero425 said:

I thought people would love all that time spent between runways and challenges since there's no "Untucked!" We really need to come to a consensus on this! lol! ;-)

I don't have the patience for Untucked (or any other reality show meta-commentary or what have you), for the same reasons I don't listen to podcasts or view videos, even if nothing written is available. Life is too short and it's not enough fun. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Rai said:

So I won't argue with people who were insulted by it. That's fair. But for me, I loved that she was shown being happy and active and into her groove -- and no constant eating jokes.

I honestly respect and understand the varied reactions, but I found it to be a positive portrayal as well.

It's always seemed to me that drag as a whole is much more accepting of, and even celebratory towards, "big girls" than society in general. I viewed Shangela as playing a character, much the same as queens who use oversized breasts/butts during other skits to enhance their portrayals. I thought she was uplifting rather than mocking.

• Love 6