Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E17: Hōlapu ke ahi, koe iho ka lehu (The Fire Blazed Up, Then Only Ashes Were Left)

• Start Topic

Will have to see the episode, but, why use real chlorine gas as "bait"when the cylinders could be filled with something not deadly? Adam is not instilling much confidence in his abilities to handle this position so far.

Found some facts about chlorine online, wonder if they will pay any attention to them:

• Chlorine is sometimes in the form of a poisonous gas. Chlorine gas can be pressurized and cooled to change it into a liquid so that it can be shipped and stored. When liquid chlorine is released, it quickly turns into a gas that stays close to the ground and spreads rapidly.
  • Chlorine gas appears to be yellow-green in color.
  • Chlorine itself is not flammable, but it can react explosively or form explosive compounds with other chemicals such as turpentine and ammonia.

I remember seeing the previews to this episode prior to their 3-week hiatus, any idea why they switched the episodes around?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Maybe because of the real false inbound missile incident in Hawaii?  I think Steve says something about wanting the governor to issue a missile threat warning.  (Some kind of warning)

It was a nuclear threat warning.

When Adam was melting down at the end of the episode, and driving (distracted) like a madman through the streets, I kinda hoped that he would drive into a palm tree or into the ocean.  Oh well,  guess we're stuck with him a while longer...

• Love 5

I admit to paying little attention to Adam’s storyline, so could someone fill me in on how Jessie was chosen as his Yakuza mole?

it would be a nice change of pace if TV writers recognized the cuisine of ethnicities other than Italian.  Maybe the guys could open a Polish or German restaurant.   They are on an island - maybe a seafood/fish and chips place.

Edited by Mittengirl
8 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I admit to paying little attention to Adam’s storyline, so could someone fill me in on how Jessie was chosen as his Yakuza mole?

it would be a nice change of pace if TV writers recognized the cuisine of ethnicities other than Italian.  Maybe the guys could open a Polish or German restaurant.   They are on an island - maybe a seafood/fish and chips place.

. . . or perhaps let go of the restaurant plot entirely as their constant banter is grating.   At least we didn't see Uncle Vito this week.

• Love 4

Let's see: Adam is threatening a doctor who just sticks to the rules of his job with some legal mumbo-jumbo (I'd say if the doctor is in any way complicit should an actual attack happen then the same applies to the guy who actually stole the chlorine gas in the first place). Tani threatens a student in a library with her badge and an implicit threat of her gun for being a bit rude. Glad to see some folks keep H5-0's tradition of shady law-enforcement alive and kicking while Steve is busy learning about Agnolotti.

Adam's plot makes no sense whatsoever. I'd rather watch IAD saving the world from an asteroid attack and glaring at Santiago Cabrera.

Barbister was the highlight of the episode.

• Love 3

I liked the opening teaser in the "bomb shelter". Danno's "anti-motivational speaker" description of "what happens after nuclear war"--from Tani's "that's a hard no" (to the 6 of them repopulating the world) to Lou, Junior & Tani (& Eddie (Steve: "No one asked you!")) joining Danno in just dying immediately. 

As to Adam, I actually thought he was going to start crying in his car at the end. He had that "I'm trying not to cry" face.

• Love 1

Oh, Adam, you thought that stealing chlorine for a bunch of criminals wouldn't lead to other consequences? He's too dumb to live I swear. I would love it if his bumbling around the yakuza is what causes Five-0's downfall. 

• Love 1

If your business partner tells you not to worry about the books, you damn well better be worried.  

Why was Danny so pissy to Junior about the chloride gas?  

Danny should know that their are more types of bombs than the kind that wipe out an entire island. After all, hasn’t he been involved in two radioactive explosions already?  Not to mention other types of missile attacks.  Steve should have just locked the door and left him outside.  At least Eddie was safe.  Grover made a good point, though - shouldn’t they have taken shelter somewhere that had provisions like water and food?  Or had a “provisions cart” nearby that could be taken where needed.

I don't get the stupidity of locking the guy in the van. The valve breaks, leap out of the van shut the door. The gas stays contained, and then you just drive the van somewhere at night and open it to vent it out. 

• Love 3

Would it really be that hard to search for the "internet message board". It's a very specific topic. 

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Let's see: Adam is threatening a doctor who just sticks to the rules of his job with some legal mumbo-jumbo (I'd say if the doctor is in any way complicit should an actual attack happen then the same applies to the guy who actually stole the chlorine gas in the first place).

If I was the doctor, my next move would be to go to my office, call the police, and file a complaint. 

oh ffs gmos, please. I guess that's better than saying she got cancer from Fukushima. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Uh, what "we" did, Adam? You made the call to steal the gas. You could have gone to Steve when the problem first came up.

16 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Jessi's not long for this world, is she?

Given how criminal Adam is (see what I did there!) at managing his "asset" he's going to get her killed. But it won't be on him of course. 

I did like when Grover said, "Find you? Maaaan, we po-lice."

The bomb shelter scene was the highlight of the show. And, we didn't get 25% of the episode devoted to the not-funny restaurant bickering, which was a big plus as well.

I'm not a lawyer, but, it would seem that stealing the chlorine gas to give to the Yakuza to make an illegal substance, and then arresting them, seems to be some sort of entrapment? Not that I am defending meth, but, it would seem that area is a bit fuzzy, legally speaking. Adam is not doing so well at finding Mr. Big but I suspect the whole scene with Michelle where "I know something about you that will change your life" is what this whole subplot is building to at some point, hopefully this season. I also liked Steve's nonchalant attitude when Adam told him that he had stolen the chlorine gas.

I don't think they were going to arrest them on that. Adam thought it would somehow leave a trail to this "big boss" he's been tracking. I suppose arresting them after selling drugs, you couldn't track the chlorine back, unless, oh I don't know, the criminals say where they got it from? 

I didn't realize the missing 8 minutes of the recording was the CI having sex. Why in hell is Adam making her wear a wire, or is her place just bugged? How did she turn it off or how did the guy not see it? 

I get so reeled in when they get into the interrogation room and the suspect actually holds out. I just want one of them to not totally confess. 

He should drop Jesse. And really think that Jesse betrayed him one too many times. Sleeping with the enemy no cool

Glad in the beginning of the scene Danny got support and everybody agreed with him. Really Steve can be way too serious and needs to chill out

Even Eddie walked away from his master LOL

Love seeing Odell so he is a barber and a lawyer. Loved his card thing.

Had a lot of sense of humor that made up for a lack of action a bit. Giving it 9/10!

15 hours ago, ganesh said:

She'll screw him over and get killed so everything will be pinned on him. 

Can't happen.  See, when she was recruited and asked Adam if this would get her killed, Adam PROMISED that HE would protect her.  So she can count on him...Right?

On 3/9/2018 at 8:18 PM, UncleChuck said:

When Adam was melting down at the end of the episode, and driving (distracted) like a madman through the streets, I kinda hoped that he would drive into a palm tree or into the ocean.  Oh well,  guess we're stuck with him a while longer...

Completely agree.  He was ok with Kono.  But once Kono is gone, there was no point to having him around.  Adam was some Yakuza big shot prior to turning good, right?  So presumably he knows how to handle a gun.  But on what authority is he now carrying a gun as part of 5-0's team?  He's a consultant, right?  Does that give him the right to carry a gun?  And he certainly looks like he understands police procedure when doing sweeps of houses.  Just another stupid thing that doesn't make sense.  He never went to police academy.  He shouldn't be in the field with the rest of them.

On 3/10/2018 at 11:06 AM, ganesh said:

I don't get the stupidity of locking the guy in the van. The valve breaks, leap out of the van shut the door. The gas stays contained, and then you just drive the van somewhere at night and open it to vent it out. 

Seriously.  The guy died because he tried to do the right thing and recap the cylinder.  He should have just run out of the van.  Those other three guys were nitwits.

• Love 2

So, where did Adam get that Challenger?  I had one just like it, and trust me, driving that thing fast requires one's undivided attention, no crying, no yelling.  No such thing as traction or stability control in 1970.

I had to laugh when the Camaro, which does have all those bells and whistles, went around a corner sideways while the Suburban following close behind just went around the corner like it was on a Sunday drive to church.

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but Adam Angst driving his Challenger super fast because feelings was hilarious. Kono's probably so happy to be away from his punk ass. I also enjoyed how he tells Steve that two of the canisters were sold to someone other than the meth manufacturers, and he had no idea who they were, but he knew they weren't also meth manufacturers. I assume the reason that Steve didn't ask him how he knew any of that is because the only answer is

hand-wave-gif-14.gif

On 3/10/2018 at 11:35 AM, ganesh said:

Would it really be that hard to search for the "internet message board". It's a very specific topic.

Also they could have clicked the History tab on his web browser.

On 3/10/2018 at 1:11 PM, GustheCat said:

I'm not a lawyer, but, it would seem that stealing the chlorine gas to give to the Yakuza to make an illegal substance, and then arresting them, seems to be some sort of entrapment? Not that I am defending meth, but, it would seem that area is a bit fuzzy, legally speaking.

IRL, it's only entrapment if the person wasn't inclined to commit the crime until law enforcement presented the opportunity. And even then, the police generally get away with it because the courts assume that if you committed a crime, you were already inclined to commit it. When I was practicing law, the "robbery decoy" cases enraged me; police officers would go undercover as drunk idiots with twenty dollar bills literally hanging out of their pockets and walk up to people in poor neighborhoods and act confused and ready to pass out. When the other person took the money from them, out came the handcuffs. The prosecution's argument was that it wasn't entrapment because an honest person wouldn't take money from a drunk idiot with bills hanging out of his pocket; therefore, the fact that the defendants did take the money shows that they were already inclined to commit a robbery. Which I think is a terrible argument and yet it almost always prevailed. (Whereas my motion to dismiss because the robbery statute requires force or fear and force or fear does not exist when the police officer is trying to get robbed, is a good argument that only worked about 5% of the time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I could usually get it knocked down to petty larceny, which it was, but hardly ever dismissed entirely.) Anyway, in this case since the meth manufacturers were already in the business, it's not entrapment, just a sting. Or ... actually I don't remember the details from the show. I don't know what Adam thought he was accomplishing other than helping Jessie to establish her criminal cred. I think they just arrested the meth guys after the fact so they could find out who it was in Hideki's crew that sold them the chlorine so they could find out from that person who he sold the missing two canisters to.

Edited by fishcakes
26 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I'm sorry, but Adam Angst driving his Challenger super fast because feelings was hilarious.

#MANPAIN 

27 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Those guys weren't the type to use incognito tabs, so probably. "Where could we POSSIBLY find an INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD?!" CTL-H. 

• Love 2
On 3/9/2018 at 10:22 PM, Mittengirl said:

she was in jail and I think Adam made a deal with her when she got out...Adam wore a helmet and leathers and stole the bad guys car then dressed her up the same and had her take the car back and apologized to him that she didn't realize it was his car she stole...that got her the in with the bad guy...Adam planted a bug in the car and bad was having his men so a sweep they found the bug but adam got there in time to stop them........now she is sleeping with the bad guy and adam is going off the rails

Ugh, I was happy that Adam was going to be a series regular (independent of the departures of Kono and Chin-Ho, but it did make losing them a little easier).  UNTIL.  They gave him this shitty storyline.  Seriously, why didn't they just make him a member of the Five-0 team like everyone else and use him as the organized crime SME?  Why did they have to have him do his own thing, write him as grossly incompetent (where Steve just hovers intermittently and allows this to continue, hands-off), mire the viewers in a serial case that they're not interested in, and ruin his character?  Nobody really minds the lunacies in the cases-of-the-week bc they're only a portion of a 43 minute episode.  But stretching this out in a ridiculous arc is no bueno.

RIP likable Adam of the earlier seasons.  Not even Eddie can overcompensate for me.

• Love 2
On 3/10/2018 at 11:35 AM, ganesh said:

If I was the doctor, my next move would be to go to my office, call the police, and file a complaint. 

oh ffs gmos, please. I guess that's better than saying she got cancer from Fukushima. 

Ditto to all three.

On 3/13/2018 at 7:46 PM, fishcakes said:

Duh.

On 3/12/2018 at 3:49 PM, ganesh said:

She'll screw him over and get killed so everything will be pinned on him. 

Because the women always die on this show.  Catherine, Kono and "the San Francisco Treat" are rare exceptions.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/25/2018 at 6:45 PM, jhlipton said:

Ditto to all three.

Duh.

Because the women always die on this show.  Catherine, Kono and "the San Francisco Treat" are rare exceptions.

Also: Doris hasn't died... yet. Neither did Lori from S2. Tani isn't dead either. Neither is Lynn (Steve's current girlfriend) or Melissa (Danny's current girlfriend) or Rachel (Danny's ex).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
On 3/10/2018 at 2:35 PM, ganesh said:

This episode was pretty stupid. I mean how is it they can't find a Hawaii cancer support group that a guy is posting on when they have his computer, but at the same time there is some magical database where you can look  up every building under a certain size that has a specific HVAC system. And on top of that the database is linked to some crazy 3d gps thing.

Also why couldn't they say what the chlorine  used for, it was all very vague "you know what they use it for" type comments.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

This episode was pretty stupid. I mean how is it they can't find a Hawaii cancer support group that a guy is posting on when they have his computer, but at the same time there is some magical database where you can look  up every building under a certain size that has a specific HVAC system. And on top of that the database is linked to some crazy 3d gps thing.

Also why couldn't they say what the chlorine  used for, it was all very vague "you know what they use it for" type comments.

Presumably trying to be on the safe side & not give any viewers who might harbor such things any ideas on how to use the chlorine/the tank with the chlorine in a negative, & potentially deadly in a "mass casualty" incident, sort of way. That's what I can think of, anyway.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To move a comma.