Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: No Country For Old Dads

• Start Topic

Yeah....didn't like this episode. 

They upped the camp factor to like a 20 for some odd reason. Darhk was so out of character and so pepped up I'm pretty sure I got a cavity from it.

What a coincidence. Director of the Time Bureau dies because he somehow cant hear his agents scream in the background while Sara's new girlfriend gets promoted to director so they can easily put Rip back in the fold and do what like they best, have their characters hold high level positions of power.

I was so disappointed that this was Wallys first real episode and they barely did anything with him. He was just as background as he was on The Flash!

I did enjoy Amaya's storyline though.

• Love 3

I like that Ray enjoys doing dishes and isn’t at all bothered that they’ve been piling up. 

Director Bennet needs to remove the stick and let Alexander Hamilton watch Hamilton! Sad to see him go though. Grodd still knows how to make an entrance. 

I like Ray’s optimism but I don’t think there’s any hope for Nora. I find that incredibly sad all the same but it’s still the reality. 

Is Ava a Life Model Decoy or something? I initially thought Rip was going to reveal feelings for Sara (and love triangles need to stay FAR AWAY from my happy place LOT) and am relieved it’s not that. 

I still love Wally but he needs to make it up to Amaya for the bitch comment. I liked how Sara invited him to join by being all “we’re all assholes who do bad shit on occasion. You’ll fit right in!”

Minimal Nate so definitely a win from my corner. 

• Love 4

Well, that was....way too much Darhk family drama. Like, literally it took up almost 30 out of the 42 minutes. I liked the Ray/Nora scenes and I have no doubt both Brandon and Courtney found it fun to work together onscreen, but way too much Damien. He needed to go away about two minutes into the episode. I simply didn't care.

Far less scenes of the rest of the Legends. Did they get some time off? Because their scenes, in total, took up around 10 minutes or so. 

Of COURSE Ava's hiding something. And of course Rip is assigned the Big Secret that will no doubt come to bite him in the ass. That being said, still love Rip/Sara interacting. I had to laugh when Ava's boss got pounded by Grodd and while she was freaking out, Rip and Sara were so casual about it. They've seen way worse stuff. 

Wally was a nice addition. A little weird to see him so....calm and zen, but it was nice to see him so happy. 

So, Nora's now full on Mallus. 

Seriously, though, it was a nice Ray episode....if half of his plot didn't include so much Damien/Nora. I would have preferred much more Ray and Nora. 

• Love 4

I kind of wanted to see the team preventing Hamilton from seeing Hamilton, especially if there was a Renee Elise Goldsberry cameo. But I'll take Elvis driving Memphis crazy next week!

• Love 4

Darkh really needs to be gone by the end of this season. I didn't even watch Arrow and I'm sick of him. Was I supposed to feel bad that he was fighting with his daughter. I do feel for Nora though he did use her and sold her to a demon to bring himself back to life. 

Are they going to make Ray fall for Nora because the actors are married in real life. I'm sure they had fun working together though. Wally didn't get much to do but he did save the day and joined the team of misfits that make bad first impressions and that engage in light to moderate theft. 

Is Ava a figure skating killer robot? Once again Rip hiding things from Sara. Communicate Rip, haven't you learned anything.

• Love 5

I enjoyed Dad Damien Darhk way more than I should have. I love Neal McDonough. He seems like he has fun at work. I also think Brandon Routh had some fun working with his real life wife. I think some chemistry's bleeding through because I don't hate the idea of Nora/Ray. 

I totally read the first look Rip gave them as him having a thing for Ava, which is weird because I should have automatically jumped on the "he likes Sara" train. But I'm relieved it seems to be something else that can stop this relationship. What the hell is Ava? Robot? Future descendant of Sara's (they were kind of looking alike tonight)? Paradox?

Sara looks good in red. She should wear it more often.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, bettername2come said:

I enjoyed Dad Damien Darhk way more than I should have. I love Neal McDonough. He seems like he has fun at work. I also think Brandon Routh had some fun working with his real life wife. I think some chemistry's bleeding through because I don't hate the idea of Nora/Ray. 

I'll admit; I got a genuine chuckle at his stupid "Hi Annoyed, I'm Dad" joke. Otherwise....eh, I missed the rest of the Legends and felt particularly bad that nobody realized Ray was kidnapped. 

Also, I agree that Brandon/Courtney's real life relationship was seeping through, but even if it wasn't, Nora and Ray are complete opposites but in a way that would actually work. Unfortunately, I feel like that relationship is doomed before it could even begin. 

3 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I totally read the first look Rip gave them as him having a thing for Ava, which is weird because I should have automatically jumped on the "he likes Sara" train. But I'm relieved it seems to be something else that can stop this relationship. What the hell is Ava? Robot? Future descendant of Sara's (they were kind of looking alike tonight)? Paradox?

I totally got a momentary Rip/Ava vibe by the way he muttered about how Ava was a great woman too. But now I'm definitely leaning toward possible robot. Not that it should matter, since they have a Man of Steel, a speedster, and two women who wield magical totems. Why can't Sara be in a relationship with a robot? Unless she's going to have some setback where she starts killing everyone, I don't see why Sara would just reject Ava if she knew the truth. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Why can't Sara be in a relationship with a robot? Unless she's going to have some setback where she starts killing everyone, I don't see why Sara would just reject Ava if she knew the truth. 

She's a Terminator! Rebooted and sent back in time by Ray on some kind of killer mission.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

Sara looks good in red. She should wear it more often.

I considered that I but I don't think the show would go that far.  On the other hand, they are perfectly happy to family swap so my thought was a descendant of Oliver and Felicity.  Still gross but not Lannister/Targaryen gross. 

Ava's probably a robot though.  It would certainly explain her behavior at the start of the season and, weirdly, make sense with regard to her feelings for Sara if she literally has a switch that was flipped.

• Love 2
(edited)

Am I a bad person for watching the Damien-on-Damien fight, half-expecting them to stop and start furiously making out? I mean, Damien does love himself so much, and we kinda love him (and Neal McDonough) for that. If you consider Damien to be the Big Bad on account of Mallus not having a physical form yet (I'm not really counting Nora yet), I'd say he would be -- at worst -- the second most entertaining CW/Arrowverse adversary this season. Tobias Whale does more with less, but watching Damien "swipe" in all directions? Hilarious.

And if Team Dark had to have an semi-willing accomplice, it would be Ray. And, of course, he would be helpful to his captors. I don't really think that he's sweet on Nora . . . but now that Nate brought it up? Totally going to happen.

Wally puts a foot in his mouth inadvertently calling Amaya a "basic bitch" (no way would Nate use that term), but Sara brings him into the fold because ALL of the Legends have made bad first impressions. "Amaya? She snuck onto the ship, knocked up all out before trying to kill Mick. Yes, that includes Professor Stein. Just bonked him unconscious." Bright side: he picked up a "souvenir." Sadly, we don't get to see how Mick swiped Jerry Garcia's glasses.

Next week: Elvis' music (literally) drives people crazy. Can't wait!

ETA: Really hoping Ava isn't related to Sara. That would be wrong, even if their branches of the family tree are really far apart.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 6
(edited)

Meh...too much Darhk, not enough Team Legends.

Rip, you know why people aren't exactly happy to see you? Because your LACK of communication usually has horrible consequences! What's so bad about Ava that you had to delete a super secret file about her? Sara's seen and done a lot, she can pretty much handle anything at this point. (Unless it involves something like Ava killing Laurel which, in that case, good work Rip).

I was mumbling at my TV, hoping Wally had swiped the totem along with Ray so thanks for making that happen writers. Also, welcome to the team Mr West! Sara's a much better captain than Rip so you made the right choice.

Ray, Nora isn't who you should be catching feelings for. Find someone else...anyone else who isn't possessed by a demon and who's father isn't the worst.

Wally was embellishing when he said Nate described Amaya as a "basic bitch" right? Amaya is neither of those and if Nate really did say that, it'd confirm my feelings about Nate having dudebro tendencies.

I hope Amaya gets her totem back sans-Mallus.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

Rip, you know why people aren't exactly happy to see you? Because your LACK of communication usually has horrible consequences! What's so bad about Ava that you had to delete a super secret file about her? Sara's seen and done a lot, she can pretty much handle anything at this point. (Unless it involves something like Ava killing Laurel which, in that case, good work Rip).

Sara's was an assistant to a mad scientist, was stranded on an island with nothing but the clothes on her back, was an assassin, died more than a couple times and most recently was possessed by a demon. I think she can handle whatever secret you have about Ava, Rip. 

• Love 9

Meh episode.. Did like zari and amaya in the in between... Not enuff wally... Too much Damien... Wonder what the secret about ava is.. Probably somebody's kid... Felicity and Ollie? 

22 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Meh episode.. Did like zari and amaya in the in between... Not enuff wally... Too much Damien... Wonder what the secret about ava is.. Probably somebody's kid... Felicity and Ollie? 

Don't even put that out into the Arrowverse!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

Don't even put that out into the Arrowverse!

Legends of Tomorrow is part of Arrowverse.

So last episode I complained about too much Darhk and how he was simply not go away. And what TPTB did? They doubled down, quite literally. The episode had double of Darhks. Blergh...

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I rather she be a robot then that. 

• Love 3

A little Damien goes a long way, but damn if Neal McDonough isn’t having a blast. I’ll be ready for a nice long Damien hiatus after this season ends (hint hint writers). I’m still hoping Nora can be redeemed by season’s end, but it doesn’t look as promising as it once did. Fingers still crossed for Kuasa to come around.

I’m glad BR got a little time to shine this week, he really manages to bring so much heart to what could easily be a saccharine, two-dimensional character. It’s pretty sad that none of the other Legends noticed he was missing though. And I’m bummed the writers once again forgot Mick should care.

I’m assuming that calling Amaya a “basic bitch” was Wally’s own take on the breakup rather than a direct quote from Nate. Hopefully, that is. I’m starting to finally warm up to Nate in all non-Amaya related matters, so hopefully Nate’s not that much of an ass. Anyway, despite putting both feet in his mouth at super speed, I enjoyed Wally and I think he will be a fun addition to the show. Loved Mick’s death stare after Wally stole his stolen glasses.

Always nice to see Rip back on the Waverider. I’d speculate on what the deal is with Ava, but the way this show rolls it could be nearly anything.

So Ray took the jump ship to 1700s Bahamas to save Nora, then gets snatched by the Darkhs. So where is the jump ship now?

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm fanwanking Mick immediately volunteered for the Grateful Dead assignment thinking they'd get Ray fast. And when it didn't happen and they couldn't find him, he turned to beer to ease his breaking heart. You can't stop me!

I don't know how the hell Arrow managed to screw up Ray (supposedly; I didn't watch then), but my Grodd, Ray is a perfect cinnamon roll of a man and I want to love him and squeeze him and call him George.

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 10

If you like Dark this was a fantastic episode.

If you don't like Dark, wow was this probably a terrible episode.

I'm kind of on the fence. I am pretty sick of Dark by now, but damn if NM isn't fun to watch. Him enjoying himself so much keeps it from being throwing stuff at my TV frustrating. He just better stay dead after this season.

I wasn't expecting Grodd. Though to be fair, I don't suppose anyone is ever really expecting a giant telepathic gorilla. I do kind of wonder why he chose that particular moment to attack, and why the Time Bureau? I was also a little surprised the Legends weren't more surprised. Not by Grodd's existence, obviously, but while WE know he was saved by Dark shouldn't they still believe he was blown up in Vietnam? Or have then seen so much at this point they're basically just rolling with it?

Whatever Ava's secret is, Rip had a file on her. That's especially odd. Ava has a big secret because of course she does, Sara really can't catch a break, and I know Rip's first instinct is always to lie and hide things. But I doubt it's anything like she's a descendant of Oliver and Felicity for example. Why would Rip have a file on that, and why would he bother hiding it from Sara? And for that matter, why would she care? William turns eighteen and he's fair game. Sleeping with your ex's kid or descendant might not be cool with them but it's hardly an earth shattering secret.

• Love 7

This show keeps throwing us curveballs, and now I’m curious what Ava is hiding. 

Yay to Wally being useful to the Legends! I hope he gets more to do in upcoming episodes but since he was so underused on Flash, I will take anything at this point.

There is definitely chemistry between Nora and Ray, but he’s going to get his poor heart crushed. I’m getting tired of Damien killing innocent people for no reason. Ray’s former colleague didn’t need to die, but it was all to amuse Damien. He better be dead by the end of this season.

I took Wally calling Amiyah “basic bitch” as being pissed at the girl that broke his friend’s heart. We all do that when we protect our friends so I wasn’t bothered by his comment. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, kdm07 said:

My guess it's either that,or Ava is actually the alter ego of some long forgotten DC villain that will make a appearance in the season finale..

""Yes my name IS Ava Sharpe..but you can call me..(insert name of whichever DC villain here)"

Ok that was...something.  :) I actually enjoyed it though, but then NM cracks me up.  Too many quotable lines. 

The one major "off" moment for me was the death of the director.  Poor Ava was stunned, and Rip and Sara were like "terrible thing, too bad, congrats director, can I come back to work?"  Even in an episode as comedic as this one was, it still felt off for them to treat so lightly seeing a man beat to death in front of their eyes.  Legends usually handles the serious moments better, so this felt like a misstep.

So what's up with Ava? Let the theorizing begin! Is there any comics significance to the file number? 3540?

• Love 3

I'm starting to think that the main reason they brought Damien Darhk back is to see how many ridiculously bad wigs they can make Neal McDonough wear.  I wonder what is next?  A mohawk?  A Skrillex cut?  A combover?!  The infamous "Island Oliver Queen" look?!!

I definitely understand why some are getting tired of Damien and I do think that this should be his last season on any of the D.C. shows, but I'm still getting a kick out of him.  Neal's just that damn good and was getting a kick out of everything from his dad jokes, casual, almost bored reaction to all of the violence (especially the ones of his own doing!), and getting matched with Cupid of all people on the dating app.  I don't mind so much focus this time, since they did something similar with the Legion of Doom last season, but I'm sure it will get it toned down.  I do wonder know if he truly regrets what he did to Nora and will actually end up sacrificing himself to save her from Mollus.

The Ray/Nora stuff was clearly an excuse to have Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford act opposite of one another, and I'm find with that.  Married/dating couples can always be hit or miss acting with each other, but I enjoyed their chemistry, banter, and interactions.  Realistically (yeah, yeah, a rare thing on this show), I really can't seem them being an actual thing, but I guess it's a wait and see how it plays out case here.

Totally knew Director Bennett was going to get taken out since Hiro Kanagawa characters really last long, but getting pulverized by Gorilla Grodd is a brutal way to go.  But now Ava is the new director!  Does that make freaking Gary of all people her number one?!!  And what is this big secret of hers, that Rip is now hiding from Sara?

Wally is already proving to be a fun addition, with him going all Boy Scout on Mick, and accidentally dissing Amaya.  I do think Sara basically had the right pitch with her "Dude, we all pretty much hated each other at first.  They'll warm up to you!"  I believe her.  Although, in Mick's case, "warming up" could be a very bad thing...

Liked seeing more of Amaya/Zari together.

Aww, come on, Time Bureau!  Let Alexander Hamilton see Hamilton!

• Love 7

Its revealed that Ava is actually the descendant of Oliver and *Laurel* thus spoiler alerting Sara about going back in time and saving her sister and the internet then explodes. ;)

But seriously on this show it could be almost anything. I guess it depends on whether it's a Sara specific secret or not, because I can't see robot/alien being a deal breaker for her. Not real/not really there maybe? Probably not.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't catch this until someone on Tumblr pointed it out.  "Souvenirs".  I don't know about the comics, but Kid Flash on Young Justice was always collecting souvenirs.  I'm assuming that was an intentional shout out. :)  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

If wally was a puppy.. His tail woulda been wagging so fast when Sara actually thanked him and showed him some appreciation..  Seeing as that never really came from his former team... Its actually kinda sad when you think about how much happier he seems away from his sister his dad his brother in law and his soon to be step mom and lil sister in one episode where he wasn't even on screen much.. So much more real interaction... How the flash writers managed to bungle this while seeming to have unending ways to prop up Ralph is beyond me... But w/e wally got his first souvenir I hope there's more

• Love 6
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

"Sara can never know the truth about Ava."

What?

What?

What?

(was my response to Rip saying that.)

That and Gideon calling Rip, Director Hunter instead of Captain or Agent. I hate hate hate the fact that Gideon will always choose Rip first over Sara as commander of the Waverider.

• Love 5

Despite there being more Damien than usual, I really enjoyed this one. I even enjoyed Damien in this one too.

Seeing his dynamic with Nora, showing even a flicker of humanity and regret over exposing her to Mallus, his casual killings, back and forth with Ray, musing over dating apps and literally fighting himself, yeah, I think we got a lot here.

Nora could be saved possibly. Ray seems to believe she's worth it as does Amaya with Kuasa (and the latter got some reassurance with her ancestors there) but whether she will be we'll have to see.

I think I've already figured out Ava's secret but the fact that Rip is keeping it from Sara proves he's learned nothing yet again. 

Wally already fits in with the team even if he did put his foot in it with Amaya and Mick. I did like Sara's speech to him welcoming him to the team.

Glad they haven't forgotten about Grodd as well, 8/10

• Love 5

If Ava was a descendant of someone Sara knows, I don't know why that would be a secret.  And I would hope that if Ava is in any way shape or form related to Sara, Rip WOULD TELL HER!

I would go with Ava's a robot or she's an anachronism and is supposed to be dead but Rip saved her to bring her into the Time Bureau. If it's any of those I still think Sara could handle that. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

If Ava was a descendant of someone Sara knows, I don't know why that would be a secret.  And I would hope that if Ava is in any way shape or form related to Sara, Rip WOULD TELL HER!

Lying and hiding stuff seems to be Rip's first instinct, no matter how many times it comes back to bite him, but I agree that once he saw Sara and Ava kissing he would say something if Ava were actually Sara's great great granddaughter or something. Her being related to Oliver or Barry or anyone else we know doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal either, for us or Sara. Maybe if she were related to someone like Dark or Malcolm, but that still seems like a strange thing for him to have a file on.

14 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I would go with Ava's a robot or she's an anachronism and is supposed to be dead but Rip saved her to bring her into the Time Bureau. If it's any of those I still think Sara could handle that.

I still don't get where everyone is coming up with robot, but considering she's good at kissing (and from their expressions the next day, other stuff too) I'm also not sure Sara would have that much of a problem with it. An anachronism does make a little more sense. Like maybe Rip took her out of time for some reason and he's afraid that if Sara finds out she'll be forced to send her back? They didn't with Lily. She's still alive and kicking and in fact had a child herself, which technically adds to the whole anachronism...could that be Ava? Would that be something Rip needed to hide?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Proteus said:

I am guessing maybe Ava is an anachronism that shouldn't exist or something.

This is also my guess - the end of the season will have to do with repairing those rips in the fabric of time but it will cause Ava to no longer exist. Bummer.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KirkB said:

Lying and hiding stuff seems to be Rip's first instinct, no matter how many times it comes back to bite him, but I agree that once he saw Sara and Ava kissing he would say something if Ava were actually Sara's great great granddaughter or something. Her being related to Oliver or Barry or anyone else we know doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal either, for us or Sara. Maybe if she were related to someone like Dark or Malcolm, but that still seems like a strange thing for him to have a file on.

I still don't get where everyone is coming up with robot, but considering she's good at kissing (and from their expressions the next day, other stuff too) I'm also not sure Sara would have that much of a problem with it. An anachronism does make a little more sense. Like maybe Rip took her out of time for some reason and he's afraid that if Sara finds out she'll be forced to send her back? They didn't with Lily. She's still alive and kicking and in fact had a child herself, which technically adds to the whole anachronism...could that be Ava? Would that be something Rip needed to hide?

Gideon's a robot and apparently good at kissing too since Rip was happy with it. The robot thing comes from

Spoiler

the Ava centric episode title

I wonder if Ava's an anachronism, Rip messed with her memory like he did when he gave himself a new one. So the Ava we see isn't who she really is, all her memories are faked.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, KirkB said:

Not by Grodd's existence, obviously, but while WE know he was saved by Dark shouldn't they still believe he was blown up in Vietnam?

They knew Grodd was alive and working for/with the Darhks.  Ava told about Damien recruiting others and showed them a mural of Grodd attacking the Great Wall of China.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, bettername2come said:

1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

Maybe ava is Rip's kid.. I dunno in my head I can't think of a plausible reason.. But its rip so odds are it really is kinda big

This is my guess too.  Ava is Rip's child or a descendant of his.  

13 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Carrie would adore Damien, but I can't imagine Damien putting up with her particular brand of crazy very long. :)

Still, just watching that first date would be a glorious thing.

• Love 4

I think this was supposed to be in the vein of last Season`s Legion-focused episode. And while not as fun, I still enjoyed it a lot. Sure, Damian chews scenery like noone`s business but this show is quirky enough that it works. He didn`t fit that well into the grittyness of Arrow. 

Nora got a bit more depth and for the first time I enjoyed Courtney Ford in the role. That one-note-crazy was getting on my nerves but the character worked much better here. I could even see some chemistry with Ray. 

It`s strange how Darkh really loves his child but still sold her to a demon for his own gain. Apparently he regrets that now in his own way but I think this will have a tragic ending. 

I, too, loved him being matched up with Cupid. That dating app ain`t bad. 

Wally didn`t get a lot to do and what was up with that "basic bitch" remark? He was never that kind of guy over on Flash. Hopefully, he gets better incorporated in the future. 

This is the first time I`m interested in the Ava-character. The reveal is probably gonna be pretty silly but at least it gives some intrigue for now.  

Have to say while this Season of Legends isn`t as great as Season 2 - I loved that - it`s still the most consistently enjoyable of the Arrow-verse shows. The others are just kind of making me groan this years. So cheers to the Legends. At least they have fun with the bad guys. Literally.  

• Love 1

Ava's secret...What if she's both a robot AND someone's descendant aka Rip and Gideon's child. Don't know how that would work, but hey anything is possible on this show.

I'm liking Wally on this show. I never warmed up to him on Flash but just a few scenes on Legends and I already like him a lot more. Legends has that effect on characters.

This episode was a little too Darhk for me and one of my least favorite of the season but still very enjoyable. I found myself thinking some scenes were a little over the top even for this show but somehow it still works!

Instead of practicing swiping up/down and sideways Damien should have been practicing front/back swipes! That dangling Nora scene was so frustrating!!!

• Love 1

I wasn't feeling this episode either, but then the A.V. Club review pointed out that in mood, colour, transitions, etc. it was very similar to a Coen brothers movie. I don't like their movies, so that explains that. As well, Dhark's wig is because young Dhark was echoing Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men.

• Love 2