Type keyword(s) to search

DIY Shows: Behind The Drywall

• Start Topic

On 1/30/2018 at 10:36 PM, chessiegal said:

OMG! Restored by the Fords completely destroyed/ruined a wonderful mid-century modern that an architect designed for himself. That whitewashed rope chandelier was trash!

Are you referring to the Don Owens house, which had the foyer with the water feature and bridge-style walkways?  (HGTV.com video links: Mid-Century Mess Makeover, The Oasis, Part Two).

The whole house was basically whitewashed of any character.  Except for the indoor pool, which they painted black!

From a Mid-Century perspective,* especially with a Frank Lloyd Wright influence, some features of the home were somewhat problematic, such as the stone fireplaces and the dark kitchen cabinets, and some things were very problematic, like the very 1970s-looking master bath (avocado!).  But, some of the design choices, such as as replacing the dark wood paneling with white painted paneling in the main room, and stucco-ing over the (fake?) stone fireplace in the master suite?  For the fireplaces, I would have considered either adding Mid-Century-looking stone veneers or even completely replacing some/all of them.

*I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the episodes (I only skimmed them), but the house was built in 1969, which strictly from a time perspective, puts it after the Mid-Century Modern design period.

For comparison, here are two earlier examples of Pittsburgh-area homes designed by Don Owens: 118 Cardiff Road (Zillow), 470 Woodland Road (Zillow) . These two homes were built in 1960 and 1961, respectively, and are much more true to the Mid-Century style.  Both homes do show some signs of minor renovations (mainly newer tile flooring), but they still retain their original character.

Since I am watching DIY for the first time ever this week, I've been enjoying it. Found some shows I like, some have their own threads, Restored, Maine Cabin Builders, Nate & Jeremiah something, it was ok, but I'll watch it again. One I need to stay awake and actually watch, Stone House Builder/Restorer, it was me, not the show. One I didn't care for and won't be bothered to watch again, Barnwood Builders. 

And another one I'm interested in, Bargain Mansions, it takes place in my favorite city and hometown, Kansas City. I am familiar with some of the neighborhoods, the styles of houses and I like seeing KC featured. But I'm not always crazy about some of the things she's done. Apparently, Tamara Day is a mother of 4. So why would a mother of 4 stack a washer and dryer? Maybe if it's the secondary washer/dryer but I think they said she brought the laundry from the basement to the first floor. In KC, many laundry rooms are in basements. I'm old, I like not having to go up and down more stairs, but being old and short, I hate stacked washers and dryers, I'd have to have a step stool to access the dryer. 

I can see a mother being ok with bench seats for dining rooms, but I personally hate them. Any entertaining I do is with adults and I think adults prefer to sit in their own chairs at the table. I think bench seats and banquettes are a designer idea that don't really work for most people.

And she did a 1920s Tudor, KC has a lot of those, I love them, she put a ceramic surround on the fireplace, it looked too modern for the style of house with all the arches and wrought iron. Surely there was a better design idea for that fireplace. The one that was there was ugly, but she didn't improve it.

Now, she's working on a 3 story house that was converted to 3 apartments. If it's the part of town I think, there are gorgeous old houses there and many of them have been converted to apartments. Unless there is a lot of gentrification going on there, I wonder if she'll make her money back to convert it back to a single family house.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Maybe if it's the secondary washer/dryer but I think they said she brought the laundry from the basement to the first floor.

I wouldn't want stacked, and if I had a house again, I'd want the laundry in the basement.  Washers DO overflow, I've had it happen 2 or 3 times, and you want it to be where there's a floor drain, or you've got a big problem.

4 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I think bench seats and banquettes are a designer idea that don't really work for most people.

Even just for picnics, climbing out of a bench, when only one person wants up, is a pain. 
Of the ones you've mentioned, I've seen a few Stone House, and I like Barnwood Builders.
I've o d on flipping and was never into the cabin building shows. 
Amazing Space was interesting, but the only ones on "series record" are reruns of Rescue My Renovation and Income Property.

I refuse to sit in banquets in restaurants. Someone always has to get up to use the toilet so everyone on that side has to get up and slide back in. Then when that person comes back to the table, everyone has to get up again. Annoying and inconvenient. 

(edited)

I happened upon a show where the couple was redoing their house....I can't recall, but, they were doing some of it themselves and had a designer to help too.  They painted the dark fireplace bright white and it looked great. I had worried about that, but, the dark wood mantle was a show stopper.  My question is about having a sliding barn door on a kitchen pantry.  Is that really practical?  All that sliding back and forth.....seems it would wear out the tracks.  lol I guess you just leave it open and close when guests come.  Still....sometimes I wonder why people seem to be obsessed with the sliding barn doors in the bedroom, bath, kitchen, etc.   Anyone actually use them and like them?  I just don't see how they would be very practical for everyday use. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Leave it to Bryan, one of Bryan Baeumler's shows, has 2 episodes this weekend sometime, on BYU channel.
I never check the religious channels, but I do periodic searches of favorite people on U-verse search function, and found him.

(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 1:38 PM, auntjess said:

Leave it to Bryan, one of Bryan Baeumler's shows, has 2 episodes this weekend sometime, on BYU channel.
I never check the religious channels, but I do periodic searches of favorite people on U-verse search function, and found him.

I record Lark Rise to Candleford which is shown on the BYU station but had never noticed the station’s other shows. I found Leave it to Bryan which I have set to record but also saw that Anastasia, a 1956 movie with Ingrid Bergman and the lucious Yul Brynner, is showing this week. I will definitely check out this station’s programming more often! 

Edited by Spunkygal

Well hopefully if they pull all the Fixer Upper off HGTV they can move some of the DIY shows over there.    

I'm thinking about when Oprah started OWN it took her years to build up enough content to actually fill all the time on her channel and even now it is a lot of re-runs of other shows.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

NOOOO!!!! I'd better stock the DVR with Salvage Dawgs and Philly Revival. Maybe it's time to cut the cable cord again. This is horrible news.

I don't want to cut the cable cord, because my DVR would go with it, along with probably 50 Mike Holmes (had more, but U-verse recalculated the space), and now my Dr. Pimple Popper collection.
I've got 2 or 3 Disaster DIY, and a few Disaster Decks and Leave it to Bryans.  Wish I'd recorded all of the Disaster DIY, Bryan's best show.
I have 2 movies, both The Producers, but haven't watch the non-Mostel one yet.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, car54 said:

Interesting news about the future of the DIY channel

All Gaines All the time.

http://dlisted.com/2019/04/10/discovery-is-murdering-the-diy-network-to-make-room-for-chip-and-joanna-gaines/

Oh no!  So they're really giving them the DIY channel instead of a new one?  How disappointing.  There were a number of shows on DIY I love that don't fit the Property Brothers and House Hunters mode of HGTV.

• Love 1

I thought there was a place for Mike Holmes shows, but only his Holmes and Holmes.
Destination America channel, 465 on U-verse, has started showing some of his old Holmes Inspection shows, at various times.

• Love 1

I posted about this over on the Fixer Upper forum but it may belong here. Right now on the DIY Channel they are showing an hour of the Gainses doing Magnolia Network: A Look Ahead. I've read that the Magnolia takeover of the channel will happen in early October. ETA: looks like it will be later because coronavirus pandemic.

I tried to watch the Magnolia thing but couldn't hack it for more than a few minutes. Chip is still obnoxious. Joanna is still so full of herself and her kids it's nauseating. I hope the DIY shows I like will find a home somewhere else, like HGTV. 

Man, these twits better not bring an end to Salvage Dawgs. If they don't keep it because they have to be the Big Stars of the Magnolia Network, I hope the Dawgs find a home on another cable channel. Or I will be so pissed off. Just saying.

Edited by Jeeves

Here's the new lineup for the soon-to-be rebranded DIY Channel. No mention of existing shows. A few more months until I take that channel off my favorites list. And, they're doing food. FFS, there are already two whole channels for that. I hate food/cooking shows. I'd truly rather watch paint dry. 

https://deadline.com/2020/04/chip-joanna-gaines-magnolia-network-launch-delayed-covid-19-production-shutdown-original-series-first-slate-preview-special-diy-1202913073/comment-page-1/#comment-2774419

• Love 1

I like cooking shows, but I refuse to watch anything where the Gaines are on camera. I didn't watch Joanna's preview of her cooking show on FN, but I've read she basically showed she can follow a recipe. Groundbreaking tv /not.

• Love 4

I saw a couple of Bargain Mansions episodes the other day, and I just didn't like it.     The house had a very leaky basement, and the remodeler said since they regraded the yard, that the buyer could put bedrooms, and other living quarters down there.      Just because you regrade a yard, and put in drainage, doesn't mean that the basement is going to stay dry.    I also didn't like the  decorating with so much wallpaper, and other finishes.   

The Destination America Network is showing reruns of Holmes on Homes, Holmes Inspection, and some Holmes Makes it Right.
I have found a lot these have the wrong episode titles, but beggars can't be choosers, and they're something to watch.
The showed the Pasadena house, and an occasional show with Shawn Morren.  I see some coming up in next few days.  Just check the show guide on your TV.
I don't much care for Holmes and Holmes, because the ones I've seen show them designing kitchens.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:20 AM, Jeeves said:

I'd truly rather watch paint dry.

Not quite paint drying, but there's a show called Extreme Unboxing, where people buy returned items, and hope to get something valuable.
It's on A&E.

• LOL 1

This isn't about a DIY show, but the DIY channel. I was not happy when I heard middle of last year that DIY would become the Magnolia network with all things Chip and Joanna Gaines. Then a few months later all the promos for that stopped. Now that Discovery, Inc. has announced their new streaming service, Discovery+, it seems that is where the Magnolia channel will reside. I saw an ad for Discovery+ that said that the only place to see Chip and Joanna Gaines would be on Discovery+. It appears DIY will remain in the cable lineup. Whew! I'd probably pay extra money NOT to see those 2. I'm sure the other channels that run endless marathons of Fixer Upper will continue to do so, and I will continue not to watch.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2021 at 3:08 PM, chessiegal said:

This isn't about a DIY show, but the DIY channel. I was not happy when I heard middle of last year that DIY would become the Magnolia network with all things Chip and Joanna Gaines. Then a few months later all the promos for that stopped. Now that Discovery, Inc. has announced their new streaming service, Discovery+, it seems that is where the Magnolia channel will reside. I saw an ad for Discovery+ that said that the only place to see Chip and Joanna Gaines would be on Discovery+. It appears DIY will remain in the cable lineup. Whew! I'd probably pay extra money NOT to see those 2. I'm sure the other channels that run endless marathons of Fixer Upper will continue to do so, and I will continue not to watch.

Oh darn. I recently cut the cable TV cord and subscribed to YouTube TV. The only cable channel I lost in that shuffle, that I miss: DIY. I hadn't realized it wasn't going to be taken over by the Magnolia Empire, and had been hoping that the shows I liked on DIY would migrate to HGTV so I could still see them.

I'm saving at least $70 a month with this new setup - so I hope I find an affordable way to see some of the DIY shows that I like. I'm not going back to cable TV just to get DIY, lol. Sadly, I have HGTV on YouTube TV, but rarely see anything on its schedule that I want to watch. 

EDITED a few days later to add: Welp, I landed a deal (free for 12 months) for Discovery+ when I changed my mobile phone carrier, which I'd intended to do anyway. I'm pleasantly surprised to see how much content is offered on Discovery+, and how much of it I would like to watch. Including some old home decorating/DIY shows that I've seen before but don't mind revisiting. Sure there's a lot of stuff I never watch but there's plenty of programming to keep me entertained. I can ignore the Gainses and the 90 day Fiances and psychologically disturbed mother/daughter duos, etc.. I have me a lot of DIY and even Joe Kenda from the ID channel. Yay!

Edited by Jeeves