Type keyword(s) to search

Love, Simon (2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Miles said:

I didn't think she was blue, but I was sure she had a crush on Abby. I still don't see any other explaination for her getting all flustered when Abby showed up in the wonder woman costume.

So when she kinda sorta confessed her love to Simon and Simon thought she was talking about Nick, I thought she was talking about Abby and I thought "neat those twwo childhood friends can be gay together. well not together-together, but together". Would have added to the movie, I think.

Yeah, Leah was SO preoccupied with Abby in the book Love, Simon that I was totally expecting to learn she was interested in her. I guess I should probably spoiler this, for the book's sequel Leah On the Off-Beat, which I read last month and is a great, fun read:

Spoiler

The book reveals that Leah is indeed in love with Abby and had been all along. The author has a foreword as follows: "For the readers who knew something was up, even when I didn't", which I take to mean that she had heard from a lot of readers who totally had the impression from the first book that Leah was interested in Abby, not Nick or Simon, and decided to take that and run with it.

• Love 2

I read this book a few years ago and meant to go see the movie but I somehow never got around to it. I decided I needed to watch it before starting the Love, Victor series. I could tell that it wasn't necessary but I like doing this in order.

I'd forgotten a lot of the details from the book so I wasn't bothered by any of the changes. I felt like the movie still captured the general tone of the book which was what was most important. Heh, but as soon as Martin showed up, I was like oh, THIS JACKASS. I definitely remembered him! I'd forgotten that he later deliberately outed Simon. I legit gasped when it happened because it was such a fucking violation. I understand why Abby, Nick, and Leah were upset with Simon but it is fucking stone cold to abandon your friend after he's just been outed to the entire school.

Since it's been so long since I read the book, I didn't remember who Blue really was which made it fun to follow along and guess who it might be.

Every school needs a teacher like Ms. Albright. I know Natasha Rothwell as Kelli on Insecure so it was fun to see her in a different role.

Josh Duhamel now looks like a low rent version of Eric Dane.

Overall, this was a sweet movie. We need more movies like this! I'd rather watch this than the millionth Marvel superhero movie.

• Love 5

Leah coming out in the movie would have been a vast improvement over the Nice Girl bullshit trope they stuck her in.

Ms. Albright ripping those assholes a new one was amazing. Would have loved to see her reaction had she found out Simon's so-called friends ditched him when he needed them the most. I don't care if they were right to be upset with him, getting cruelly outed like that was punishment enough. 

• Love 3

Not many teen movies or romantic comedies are among films I really like, but word of mouth had this one on my mental watch if it's on list.  I finally stumbled across it tonight, but an hour into its 2:30 (with commercials) run time.

I looked for a thread to see what others thought, because I figured it has to be a good one -- even meeting the characters in progress like that, I was quickly drawn in, and even not knowing who the guy in the Oh, he's Blue! reveal was, I enjoyed the cheesy ferris wheel scene. 

I love that the final scene was about all the people who make Simon's life enjoyable - his family, his friends, and his new boyfriend, not just the boyfriend (the switching seats in the car thing was lame, but I just have to roll with stuff like that).

My favorite moment among those I saw was one praised by several others, the teacher going off on the asshole "prankster" kids in the cafeteria. 

The switch from "Love, Jacques" to "Love, Simon" was a lovely moment, too.

And I loved Simon's fantasy about straight kids having to come out, too.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/26/2020 at 10:54 PM, Bastet said:

My favorite moment among those I saw was one praised by several others, the teacher going off on the asshole "prankster" kids in the cafeteria.

My husband did drama in high school, then our daughter got not only got involved in her high school (with my husband being on of the major parent helpers), but is working towards a degree in theater tech in college, so we especially loved the scenes with the drama teacher.  She was a great side character.  "Uh-uh.  This is mine now.  I'm gonna sell it.  Get my tubes tied." lol!

Every so often, Hollywood makes a great "teen" film and this was definitely one of them. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3

Yeah, Tony Hale's character was the only part of the movie I really hated. Not that it's unrealistic a teacher would be that cringe-y and awful, I just wanted him off the screen every second he appeared. And possibly dying in a house fire.

• Love 1
On 6/27/2020 at 8:26 AM, Shannon L. said:

My husband did drama in high school, then our daughter got not only got involved in her high school (with my husband being on of the major parent helpers), but is working towards a degree in theater tech in college, so we especially loved the scenes with the drama teacher.  She was a great side character.  "Uh-uh.  This is mine now.  I'm gonna sell it.  Get my tubes tied." lol!

Every so often, Hollywood makes a great "teen" film and this was definitely one of them. 

I watched to watch this for the longest, and thought I should include it on my list of films for Pride month. 

It was precious!! I want to watch Love, Victor now. I recognized Keiynan Lonsdale (Blue), from the show Dance Academy about a decade ago. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

It was precious!! I want to watch Love, Victor now. I recognized Keiynan Lonsdale (Blue), from the show Dance Academy about a decade ago. 

I loved this movie and personally find the books even better. And I definitely recommend Love, Victor.

• Love 2