Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Heartfelt

• Start Topic

Dr. Shaun Murphy's teenage patient has been confined to her home her entire life due to a rare heart condition. Despite her condition, she has cultivated a large group of friends online and hopes that the surgical team can find a way to give her the life she has always dreamed of having. Meanwhile, a young patient's perfectly matched organ donor is causing a moral dilemma for the parents and the patient.

• Love 1

I'm with Shaun on hating golf. 

Really liked seeing everyone all dressed up tonight :). They all looked so good (Allegra and Claire's dresses were so pretty!). Claire and Jared ending like that was rather abrupt, though. I do agree that Jared seemed more into their relationship than Claire did, but still...I felt for Claire with her whole, "...okay, what the hell just happened?" reaction to Jared walking off. 

Liked the cases this episode as well. Claire and Park debating over the convict was good-he's an interesting addition to the team. And the boy innocently thinking about sending a card to the guy's parents got to me. Aw.

And Reznick actually came across a little more toned down initially this episode. Until the whole thing with her and Shaun in surgery, that is. She did indicate she liked him, though, so...yay?  

Sucks that we've got another break once again :/. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 9

Can we please go just one week without traumatizing poor Claire? Just one lousy week? Poor woman is in serious need of some vacation time. 

The case with Claire and Park was certainly interesting, and ended up going pretty dark. I mean, Park pretty much straight up told that guy to blow his own brains out, then told Claire that no one should care that the guy was dead and was an irredeemable piece of crap. No wonder Claire was so shaken throughout the episode. I also like that they kept the guys story kind of vague. Why did he decide to become a model inmate, and eventually kill himself so a kid could live? Was Park right, and he just had nothing to live for and was playing everyone to look good? Was Claire right, and he wanted to make amends by any means necessary, and really did change? Or was he so overwhelmed by guilt for his crimes, or even so sick of prison and crime, that he just wanted to die? Why did he decide he wanted to atone after years as a mob enforcer? I tend to lean towards a combination of Claire's theory, and the guy just wanting to end his life, but Park was convinced that he was right all along, even if he had to change his theory from "he wants to escape!" to "he wanted to die a hero and fool everyone!" when the first theory clearly wasn't correct. Also Park, if Claire can stay professional with a guy who just shot a guy and is screaming racial slurs at her, I think you can be professional with a guy just sitting there. 

The kid wanting to send the former hit mans parents a card really got me. Oh kid...

Reznick was a little better this week, until she was going on about she doesn't respect Shaun, and how he uses his autism as a crutch. Like, damn, I thought Shaun was supposed to be the one who didn't understand social situations and blurted out award things. At least Shaun doesn't usually try to be rude. I did enjoy when he straight up said that she was trying to make him look bad because she was so competitive. I do think her mean girl antics might not work so well on Shaun.

Everyone looked great at the dinner, it was nice to see everyone dressed to the nines and mingling a bit, especially after all the days drama. I also laughed a bit at Shaun bringing up peoples ages. And saying that he doesn't like golf. 

• Love 16

I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season.

Loved the addition of Dr. Park. Reznick is funny to me. When it comes to Shaun she's like a little girl with a crush. I loved him asking for advice about the tuxedo.

The medical storylines were great and loved the conflict between Claire and Park over the inmate.

The actors that play Jared and Claire have zero chemistry. Maybe that was by design. Their "relationship" was painful. Glad its over. I definitely felt bad for Jared when he was asking Claire about the song. She was so oblivious, it was hilarious lmao.

Jessica looked AMAZING at the benefit. That dress was gorgeous!

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 10

I thought Reznick was trying to provoke Shaun to have a meltdown, or just lose his cool and be unprofessional, and I was glad that Shaun didn't take the bait. I also liked that Lim (1) trusted that Shaun could handle it, and (2) didn't let Reznick's rudeness go uncommented on, when it was happening during the surgery. I like that no one is impressed by or manipulated by Reznick's BS.

Where have I seen the actor who plays Cop/Resident before? I am certain I know him from somewhere, but I'm not sure where, only that it's something I've seen recently.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 20
28 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Can we please go just one week without traumatizing poor Claire? Just one lousy week? Poor woman is in serious need of some vacation time. 

Again, that's apparently her role on the show, as was Dr. Morrison's on St. Elsewhere.

Park is just a hardened cynic. What was his first career, 17 years as a cop? Where he learned that all criminals, contract killers especially, are cold-blooded and unredeemable, and he'll spin any evidence to confirm this outlook -- even that the guy was willing to die for a chance to do good, not so that he would be thought of as a hero. In the OR, he wanted the operation to proceed even though it would kill him.

Asking Shaun to "mingle" was silly. It was a good thing Andrews stepped in when he did. He did a great job complimenting Shaun and involving him in the banter. He understands and appreciates Shaun so much better than at the beginning.

Good cases, one eager for surgery, the other frantically opposed. I'm not sure about the premise that the boy would be so energetic and feisty and yet be dead the next day of liver failure. Or that the girl couldn't get an upper chest embrace without injuring her heart.

Grrr, another break! Our patience is being tested. Again.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

Park is just a hardened cynic. What was his first career, 17 years as a cop? Where he learned that all criminals, contract killers especially, are cold-blooded and unredeemable, and he'll spin any evidence to confirm this outlook -- even that the guy was willing to die for a chance to do good, not so that he would be thought of as a hero. In the OR, he wanted the operation to proceed even though it would kill him.

I was waiting for some backstory to be revealed, like his family was killed by a former convict on payroll, or he was burned by a loved one who went to jail, convinced him that they changed, and screwed him over, or something like that. But, I guess he is just a really cynical guy who hates criminals a whole lot. His hatred of this guy seemed pretty personal, I thought there might be some reason, but maybe not. Or maybe the guy is just a bitter asshole who talks people into suicide then shit talks the dead. Hows the Hippocratic Oath looking?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

Hell yeah, Will Yun Lee's in the house!  I always enjoy him and between this and Altered Carbon, I'm glad TV land is starting to realize he doesn't have to play villains all the time.  Even though Park is quite a dark character in his own right, I see.  Basically just told the guy to blow his own brains out, so they could just harvest him for the kid (and others.)  And he seems to have a stance that no criminals can redeem themselves, no matter what.  I'm guessing something went down during his time in the force to make this cynical.

Reznick ends up being right about their patient, but has to be a jerk to Shaun, of course.  I really don't think she realizes how she's coming off, because Lim really didn't look impressed with her antics.

It feels like it's been a while since they even touched on Jared/Claire, so him claiming he loved her felt like a bit much.  But it always seemed clear that he was way more invested in the relationship then she was.

Allegra finally gets significant screen time, even if it basically is her dilemma about dating a donor and how it could effect her.  Of course, the show did acknowledge that her love interest is younger, but it's still totally believable because Tamlyn Tomita has got it going on!

I actually enjoyed the brief Shaun/Jessica exchange, since those two rarely interact with one another.

Going on another break, already?  What are you doing, ABC?! 

• Love 8

Why doesn't this show have a psychiatrist???  They needed one to help the boy process getting a convict's liver, they needed one for the convict who was so upset that he couldn't do anything right not even donate an organ and they needed one for the girl to deal with her situation.  I'm so tired of these surgeons doing a half-assed job of therapy.  They wouldn't let a psychiatric intern operate on their patients, why do they think they can do psychotherapy?

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest...

Everyone looked very pretty at the fund raiser.  I'm glad Shaun is trying to reach out to people even though I spent much of the time cringing.

Why does Lim let Reznick play mind games with Shaun during surgery?  Does she secretly resent Shaun and is hoping Reznick will make him quit?  That was pure bullying and it's so unpleasant seeing Shaun be influenced by it. 

On the other hand, I'm glad Andrews has changed his mind about Shaun and is stepping up to advise him.  Of course there is no way Shaun should be putting out $2,000 for a tuxedo he'll wear four times if he's lucky.  Shaun doesn't have that kind of money to burn.

58 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The case with Claire and Park was certainly interesting, and ended up going pretty dark. I mean, Park pretty much straight up told that guy to blow his own brains out, then told Claire that no one should care that the guy was dead and was an irredeemable piece of crap. No wonder Claire was so shaken throughout the episode. I also like that they kept the guys story kind of vague. Why did he decide to become a model inmate, and eventually kill himself so a kid could live? Was Park right, and he just had nothing to live for and was playing everyone to look good? Was Claire right, and he wanted to make amends by any means necessary, and really did change? Or was he so overwhelmed by guilt for his crimes, or even so sick of prison and crime, that he just wanted to die? Why did he decide he wanted to atone after years as a mob enforcer? I tend to lean towards a combination of Claire's theory, and the guy just wanting to end his life, but Park was convinced that he was right all along, even if he had to change his theory from "he wants to escape!" to "he wanted to die a hero and fool everyone!" when the first theory clearly wasn't correct. Also Park, if Claire can stay professional with a guy who just shot a guy and is screaming racial slurs at her, I think you can be professional with a guy just sitting there.

Personally, I think Park is the irredeemable piece of crap.  He may be a good surgeon but he's a lousy human being.

What we know about the prisoner is that 1. he left home at 15 because his parents beat the crap out of him every night; 2. he became a hit man for the Russian mob; 3. he was a model prisoner in jail (he may have tutored others but that may been said sarcasticly); 4. he wanted to do some good badly enough that he went on the internet when he couldn't be an organ donor through the usual channels; and 5. he was utterly devastated when he was told they couldn't try again because he was allergic to the anesthetic (me: is there only one family of anesthetics?) and said that he was worthless at everything.

I"m thinking that he joined the mob because he was a 15 year old on the street who didn't have anywhere else to go and who had been abused as a child.  A lot of people join gangs because they provide a family the young person can't get elsewhere.  It seems to me that at heart he was a good person but the only thing he got rewarded for was killing.  He was genuinely upset when they told him they couldn't try to operation again; he felt that he was worthless except as a collection of body parts and now he can't even donate those to someone else.  Imagine how that must feel, to have so little opinion of yourself that you're worth nothing alive, only dead.

Park's manipulation of the prisoner to kill himself was so stone cold, I was revolted.

Between Reznick and Park, there were too many scenes of unpleasant people for me to enjoy this episode even with the pretty dresses and Allegra possibly finally getting a life.

• Love 14

The titles have been things Shaun says, but I don't think he said the title tonight... ?

Grating Blonde Doctor can go any time. I can't believe Shaun listened to her and spent 2 grand on a tux.

The break-up with Kalu and Claire was kind of abrupt, but then again, they've hardly shown them as a couple recently.

I think Dr. Park is an interesting addition; awfully convenient the ex-cop's intro is in the same episode as a prison inmate. They could have waited a little bit.

About the cases: I was a little annoyed that the parents of both children didn't really have a voice. I know a lot was going on, but still. I'm not a doctor or familiar with Heart Girl's condition, but I was thinking that at some point in the previous decade of her life someone could have designed some type of protective brace for her chest so she could go out more?

Why would anyone even tell the Liver Transplant Boy that his new liver was going to be from a murderer?? It also irked me that Claire told him that the donor killed himself.

Glad that Shaun was able to come back and try to mingle; and that Andrews helped him out!

Edited by Trini
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, Trini said:

Why would anyone even tell the Liver Transplant Boy that his new liver was going to be from a murderer?? It also irked me that Claire told him that the donor killed himself.

I was very surprised they were telling the boy anything like that!!  First, most donors are anonymous, aren't they?  So why treat this one differently?  And if they had to tell for some reason, I'd expect them to tell the parents, not the child.  The parents can make the decision whether to tell him or not.  My guess is they wouldn't.  What is the kid supposed to do with that information since his parents are the only ones who can make medical decisions for him?  

Edited by izabella
  • Love 17
20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Of course there is no way Shaun should be putting out $2,000 for a tuxedo he'll wear four times if he's lucky.  Shaun doesn't have that kind of money to burn.

I saw somebody on another site say that if Shaun's blowing that kind of money on a tux, that's  going to be his wedding tux too if and when that day comes :p. 

• Love 5

In case anyone else is wondering, I figured out that the place I recognized "Dr Park" from is "Falling Water" where he plays Taka, one of the leads. It's weird that he's featured on two shows that are airing at the same time, both of which I'm watching. Taka is a cop, so in my head it's a time jump to get from there to The Good Doctor.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

I know it seems lovely to think of Shaun happily married but realistically a romantic relationship for him is fraught with pitfalls. People who are on the spectrum do well with others who are too.

Thinking over the episode, it seems like the parallels in the story are people who want something so much, they make questionable decisions to get it. 

• The girl wants to hang out with friends so much, she goes for the risky surgery rather than waiting for the more conventional one later. 
  • The con wants redemption so much, he kills himself so he can do some good.
  • Shaun wants to fit in so much that he blows $2000 on a suit that he'll rarely wear when he could have spent that money on somethings that he would enjoy more like electronics.
  • Allegra wants a romance so much she opens up to the possibility of one with the golfer even though Andrews advised against it.
  • Jared wants to be with Claire so much that he makes a romantic move even though he knows he cares for her more than she cares for him and ends up having his heart crushed.
Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

They said they saved three other people with the organs from the liver donor, but that seemed like a low number to me.

In addition to the liver (which I thought could be divided to help more than one person-- in fact, I can't even imgaine putting a whole liver of a man that size into a small kid like that-- am I wrong?), there would also have been heart, lungs, kidneys (plus probably his corneas and I don't even know what else). Especially if he was type O, wouldn't that mean there would be an even bigger pool of recipients he'd match?

• Love 9

I liked Park up until the suicide scene with the inmate. But even before then, right after his first scene, I got wary of him. He may have some sort of damaged past as a cop, but like Reznick, I don't care because he's an ass in the present. He's so hardened from his years as a cop, and it's no wonder Reznick is friendly with him! They both act similarly! 

Speaking of Reznick, I liked her for a little bit but then her tactics in surgery with Shaun turned me right off. What in the world is her purpose with Shaun, anyway? To cause him to have a major meltdown and leave so she can be number 1? Does she have a major crush on him? Does she have some psychopathic tendencies? What is it, because she makes me curious but also makes me dislike her a lot because her motives are not pure. So her "advice" to Shaun just made me wonder what her true intentions were. She's not very helpful at all. 

I felt bad for Shaun with him wanting to do things on his own, but also needing help. Reznick was no help. Andrews was slightly more helpful. Sure, he seemed impressed when Shaun bought a new tux instead of taking his suggestion, which annoyed me with Reznick being right again, but he did help with the mingling aspect. This is the first ever episode where I didn't downright hate Andrews, so progress. 

Also, I totally mixed up Jessica with Reznick in that first party scene. Oops. 

Not enough Melendez for me. 

Poor Claire. She's literally the character to get shit on for this season, and it's tough to watch. I don't blame Jared for breaking things off, though. Her feelings have never been as strong as his. 

So, we're finally getting more personal stuff on Allegra, and this is with her dating a younger guy! Hi, Kelly Blatz! 

As for the cases, the kid/prison inmate one was a little confusing. So, kid didn't want a kidney, prison inmate wanted to redeem himself, he killed himself for the kid, and Claire told him about the donor? Ok? Why would the kid need to know about the donor? That scene I didn't like. The teenage girl case was alright, I guess.

• Love 6

Reznick worked with Coyle before working with these guys...I've seen theories that a lot of her behavior could be related to her work with him somehow. He'd no doubt have manipulative tendencies given his sketchy history with women, so maybe he either taught her how to be that way or she had to learn to be that way in dealing with him or something. She comes off acting so in control, but there definitely seems to be some underlying insecurity of some sort with her (the way she kept harping on about how important it is to impress people and all), and I imagine Coyle could be responsible for some of that insecurity. 

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, I totally mixed up Jessica with Reznick in that first party scene. Oops. 

My mom made the same mistake :p. 

On the note of Jessica, though, I liked the little chat between her and Glassman, and him trying to kinda help her get her mind off Melendez. 

• Love 2

Reznick  met Coyle as an adult. He may have taught her to be manipulative although her basic personality would have been set before that.  Maybe she's a narcissist who is insecure underneath or maybe she was abused as a child but she's been such a bitch to  Claire and Shaun, both of whom I like, and she's generally so unpleasant that I just want her to go away.  Shaun was abused as a child but he doesn't try to make other people feel bad so he can feel good about himself.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

They said they saved three other people with the organs from the liver donor, but that seemed like a low number to me.

According to this site,

One organ donor can save up to eight lives.   More than 120,000 people in the United States are waiting for organ transplants. [Solid Organs: Hearts, kidneys, pancreases, lungs, livers and intestines]. The same donor can also save or improve the lives of up to 50 people by donating tissues and eyes.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, kid didn't want a kidney,

The kid didn't want the kidney of a murderer because he didn't want any part of a murderer in him. Someone tried to tell him it wouldn't affect him but he just got more upset until Park laid magic hands on him. That's why this show needs a psychiatrist, because so many of these situations need someone who knows what they're doing.

I assume that Claire told the kid about the convict going to donate his liver for the drahmah but even if it doesn't violate HIPPA, it was unnecessary to tell that to a young boy.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Andrews was slightly more helpful. Sure, he seemed impressed when Shaun bought a new tux instead of taking his suggestion, which annoyed me with Reznick being right again, but he did help with the mingling aspect.

I thought Andrews did the right thing there.  He was right in that Shaun should have rented rather than bought but since Shaun listened to Reznick instead, Andrews praised him for looking good instead of making Shaun feel like an idiot for spending so much money on something he didn't need when Shaun was already feeling stressed about the situation.

Claire really is the Cameron (from House) of this show.  She's the kind one, she keeps trying to find the solution when others have given up, she feels things deeply, she cares less for Jared than he does for her (thankfully Jared doesn't try to manipulate her the way Chase manipulated Cameron) and they're flirting around feelings for her boss (ick).  Cameron would never have let herself be pushed around by Reznick the way Claire is though.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

To cause him to have a major meltdown and leave so she can be number 1?

That's what I think. She told Claire in "She" that there are only 2 spots, and she thinks Shaun will get one, and Kalu is already persona non grata with the hospital because of his lawsuit, so that's why she sees Claire as a threat; she sees herself and Claire in competition for the one remaining job.

But: If she can knock Shaun out of the running, too, that would increase Reznick's own chances dramatically.

I don't know why she doesn't seem to have it out for Park, though. Maybe we'll see that next time. She will focus on sabotaging whoever they pair her up with each week.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

In addition to the liver (which I thought could be divided to help more than one person-- in fact, I can't even imgaine putting a whole liver of a man that size into a small kid like that-- am I wrong?), there would also have been heart, lungs, kidneys (plus probably his corneas and I don't even know what else). Especially if he was type O, wouldn't that mean there would be an even bigger pool of recipients he'd match?

Livers can be divided into lobes for donation. You don't need a whole liver to survive, or two kidneys. You can be a living donor for either organ -- which was the original intent here. As for kidneys, heart, lungs, etc, if he had always been a heavy smoker or drug user, e.g., those other life-giving organs may not have been healthy enough for donating.

Blurting out donor information in front of the boy that he didn't need to know was careless at best and only served to pad the storyline. But in its way, it ties in with the current national dialog about ignoring youths' needs and concerns ("Be still, Billy! Grownups are talking." "Kids! What do they know?").

Andrews complimenting Shaun on his $2000 tux and making him feel good about his decision was classy.

All I can say about Reznick's verbal attacks on Shaun is, to be charitwble, maybe she is trying to toughen him up for the real world, to be able to focus and have confidence in spite of offhand, unkind, thoughtless remarks that are sure to be dropped during future surgeries by others eager to challenge his competence at the worst possible times. Maybe.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Where have I seen the actor who plays Cop/Resident before? I am certain I know him from somewhere, but I'm not sure where, only that it's something I've seen recently.

Will Yun Lee. When I saw him I wondered when he found the time. He is playing in two new series, and I had problem placing him, probably because both are SciFi  and so it was so out of context:

1. Falling Water as Taka, an NYPD detective, now in its second season (main cast).

2. Altered Carbon as Joel Kinnaman original "sleeve" (recurring cast)

1 hour ago, Bobbin said:

All I can say about Reznick's verbal attacks on Shaun is, to be charitwble, maybe she is trying to toughen him up for the real world, to be able to focus and have confidence in spite of offhand, unkind, thoughtless remarks that are sure to be dropped during future surgeries by others eager to challenge his competence at the worst possible times. Maybe

You're way more charitable than I am.  I don't feel this girl has an altruistic bone in her body.  In fact as I was watching all I saw was a bully.  She strikes me as the sort who picks out a person's weakness and capitalizes on it.  Knowing Shaun, she'd know that his weakness is social interaction.  Unless they come from a wealthy family, no medical student is going to have two grand to blow on a tux at that stage in their life. 

It makes Dr. Andrews' action at the end all the more admirable.  I got the impression he witnessed the start of the awkward conversation and came to rescue Shaun in such a way that would make Shaun comfortable but not make it look like a rescue.  By talking about the tux, it was the continuation of a conversation they already had and it was a tangible item Shaun could discuss easily and with some factual knowledge about ("Is that Armani?") etc.

Poor Claire.  I need her to get a win soon.  Not just a win with qualifications, but a real happy win.  Or maybe the show knows that Antonia Thomas is a good crier and they just like to see her cry.  I did love her expression when the Russian mob guy shot himself though.  Also glad she and Kalu are done.  So little chemistry. 

• Love 15

Contrary to popular opinion, I found Jared and Claire cute together, although his declaration of love was unexpected.  Also a bit of a stretch was the fact that he expected her to remember the first song they kissed to.  Lordy! That seems a little needy to me.  I might think differently if someone didn’t remember the song they danced to at their wedding. 

I agree the Park was cynical and cold, but I was under the impression that the inmate wanted to die rather than escape and was planning suicide by cop all along, so I wasn’t really surprised or disturbed by what happened.  I think Park is, so far, much more interesting than Reznick.  She just leaves me cold. 

• Love 9

Maybe I shouldn't have been multi-tasking on the laptop while watching this episode, but I saw Park as The Patient Whisperer.  My three decades teaching in public school was similar to being a cop and you learn a lot about human behavior and how to deal with different personalities.  You also become a realist after just a few years of being idealistic.   I can always "prophesy" my mother-in-law's next fake medical emergency with amazing accuracy.  I agree with those who say that he's a good addition.  I guess you need Reznick as the antagonist of the story.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 4

I really like Christina Chang. Hope she becomes a regular. 

I cringed every time that Shaun tried to mingle during the party. I liked Jessica talking with him. Same with Andrews. 

Still don't understand why they did the risky surgery on a teenager when all they had to do was wait a few years and it would be safe. 

Glad we didn't see Shaun's new next door neighbor. 

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, Bobbin said:

Or that the girl couldn't get an upper chest embrace without injuring her heart.

or being hugged from the back, by the shoulders if she wanted more body contact... or from the side if it were a tight squeeze and face-to-face interaction she was seeking.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, possibilities said:

I took it the way that they saved three other people today in their hospital and the rest of the organs are on ice going to the bank or other hospitals?

• Love 2

Organs can't be banked for later, only cells and tissues right now. Hearts can only survive 4 hours outside the body up to 30 hours for a kidney. I assumed that the "three other people" was the show not checking, although it's strange to do a plot about organ donation and get that wrong.

6 hours ago, LisaM said:

Still don't understand why they did the risky surgery on a teenager when all they had to do was wait a few years and it would be safe.

To showcase how amazing Reznick is and give her a chance to put down Shaun?

15 hours ago, Fable said:

I agree the Park was cynical and cold, but I was under the impression that the inmate wanted to die rather than escape and was planning suicide by cop all along, so I wasn’t really surprised or disturbed by what happened.

I think the tipping point for the inmate was when he found out that he couldn't be an organ donor.  Before that, he was expecting to donate and then go back to prison.

He'd tried before but the recipient died before the operation. He saw donating an organ as a chance for a kind of redemption however small.  When he found that he couldn't donate ever, he said that he was a failure at everything and that was the point at which he gave up. Suicide was a chance to do something good where he didn't have anything before. 

15 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Maybe I shouldn't have been multi-tasking on the laptop while watching this episode, but I saw Park as The Patient Whisperer.  My three decades teaching in public school was similar to being a cop and you learn a lot about human behavior and how to deal with different personalities.  You also become a realist after just a few years of being idealistic.

There was nothing to suggest that Park was right about the convict though and lots to say he wasn't. So either he's got this great empathy with others or he doesn't. The show can't have it both ways.

Edited by statsgirl
researched organ life
  • Love 5
On 2/27/2018 at 12:44 AM, possibilities said:

I know him from Hawaii Five-0.  Will Yun Lee has been in several episodes over the years, playing a character named Sang Min.

• Love 1

March 12th. According to the info guide on my TV there's a three hour "Bachelor" thing on next week (the finale, I'm guessing? I don't watch that show, so I don't know), so the next new episode will be the week after that. And then I think they're going to just finish out the remaining few episodes uninterrupted from there. 

(edited)

I liked the end of the episode where Shaun was losing it in the crowd of people, and then sort of eavesdropped on the teenager who needed her heart moved. He saw that she would rather face the risks of surgery and have the operation so that she could interact with people the way she wanted to. I think that gave Shaun the motivation to go back and face the party and mingle.

Edited by AEMom
Typo
  • Love 5
On 2/26/2018 at 9:44 PM, possibilities said:

It looks like many of us are remembering Will Yun Lee from several different roles, lol! I recognized him as the "cowboy" businessman from the final season of True Blood!

17 hours ago, frogzapper said:

It looks like many of us are remembering Will Yun Lee from several different roles, lol!

Lol. I go way back to Witchblade with him in the early '00s. I've sorta followed his career since then and am always pleased when he pops up. 

• Love 2

I liked that they showed Jessica feeling awkward at the gala. Some of Shaun's discomfort may have been related to autism, but a lot of neurotypicals also find those kinds of events nerve-wracking, especially when they don't have a date. I thought that having Jessica also be uncomfortable was a good way to highlight that issue.

• Love 8
On 2/27/2018 at 7:47 PM, Fable said:

A bit of a stretch was the fact that he expected her to remember the first song they kissed to.  Lordy! That seems a little needy to me.  I might think differently if someone didn’t remember the song they danced to at their wedding. 

Yeah, since we were shown from the start that Claire was not as invested in the relationship as he was and was quite upfront about it, I thought it was kind of jerky of him to break it off and walk away right in the middle of the dance floor. She did not deserve that.

I do sense tingly feelings between her and Melendez, but I don't think it would be good for either of them personally or professionally. I think their backgrounds are too similar -- tough upbringings, overcoming the odds to be successful surgeons -- and that it wouldn't last. This may be cynical of me, but his last relationship was with a beautiful blond trust-fund baby/attorney -- to follow up with a relationship with someone under him in rank just doesn't seem to fit. That said, if they do put them together, I hope they live happily ever after, as I like both of them. Ideally, though, I'd like to see them become friends.

• Love 4

Shaun asking if there was karaoke at the gala just made me love him so much.

Dr. Andrews shifting from all business/get on with it to putting off surgery to get the tea from Allegra about her potential young hottie was hilarious. It was such a great moment for him. You could tell his disappointment when he had to bring up that she shouldn't date the guy due to the unfair optics.

Wow, the actor that played the convict was amazing when he broke down. His begging them to try again was pretty heartbreaking.

I like Lim. I like her friendship with Melendez, I like her for not letting Claire get away with her disrespectful crap a few episodes back, I like her for treating Shaun without kid gloves but also sensitive to him being him. Hope we get more about her as a character as she seems like she’s going to be more of a mainstay.

Jared looked fabulous in his suit/no tie look.

• Love 5
On 3/3/2018 at 11:20 PM, ForReal said:

Yeah, since we were shown from the start that Claire was not as invested in the relationship as he was and was quite upfront about it, I thought it was kind of jerky of him to break it off and walk away right in the middle of the dance floor. She did not deserve that.

I do sense tingly feelings between her and Melendez, but I don't think it would be good for either of them personally or professionally. I think their backgrounds are too similar -- tough upbringings, overcoming the odds to be successful surgeons -- and that it wouldn't last.

It almost feels like Shore wants to do-over the House/Cameron/Chase bit from the first three seasons of House.

I really didn't like this one at first but then I realized why.  The Resnick character is going to take over as the primary antagonist now that the older doctors are coming to accept Shaun.  She is a "pain" but she is not always wrong.  And we as viewers, like Glassman, need to accept that the character is evolving, constantly trying to be better.  He heeds Resnick's advice in the end.  Having social anxiety and putting yourself in the position of trying to talk to people at a party is an act of bravery which also shows up Shaun's problems.  How many of us have turned away when in the presence of an adult acting strangely or making inappropriate comments?  Fundamentally, Shaun Murphy is an autistic man, not a child.  Part of the acceptance, not awareness movement is to look beyond those behaviors and just accept people for who they are.  It was a nice development in Dr Andrew's arc to recognize this act of bravery and support Shaun. 

One other thing.  Have people been noticing the Easter Eggs in the series?  Like the "House" advert on the bus as Shaun goes into work.  The Autism Acceptance infinity symbol in the titles.  The Autism Speaks poster in episode 18 in the hallway and the Autism Awareness poster in episode about lies.  I'm sure I'm missing lots of other ones.

On 6/3/2018 at 6:44 PM, doctor destiny said:

One other thing.  Have people been noticing the Easter Eggs in the series?  Like the "House" advert on the bus as Shaun goes into work.  The Autism Acceptance infinity symbol in the titles.  The Autism Speaks poster in episode 18 in the hallway and the Autism Awareness poster in episode about lies.  I'm sure I'm missing lots of other ones.

Just want to say that I'm loving your contribution to each of these threads.

• Love 2