Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: The Blind Auditions Season Premiere

• Start Topic

In the season premiere, the competition is fierce, the talent is exceptional and the surprises abound as coaches Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, and Blake Shelton all vie to discover and coach the next singing phenomenon from the country's best vocalists. Adding another layer of excitement this season is the introduction of the "block" where the Coaches have an opportunity to block a fellow coach from recruiting the artist on their team.

And....we back.

Yay for Kelly. A billion percent improvement over JHud. Although if she ends up going head to head against Blake for like 26 artists by the end of the blinds that might get a touch exhausting.

Britton: That was a little weird. At first I thought he was getting a "we're supposed to root against you" vibe from his pre-performance package with the skinny jeans and cocky-ish posing but then it switched around by the end of it. Solid performance from Jesse Plemon's younger brother. Also a bit surprised they didn't start out with a Kelly button push...everyone but her jumped in there. (Team Alicia)

Brynn: 14! 14! 14! She's only 14 lol. (Team Kelly)

Rayshunn: And...we off with the sob stories :-) Honestly, I didn't think Adam's initial comment was that far off. The guy clearly screams wedding or corporate singer, but he took on Journey and didn't sound ridiculous. So kudos to him getting chairs to turn. (Team Adam)

Kyla: Oh...it's JHud. Next...

Blaine (or Blake): Pours one out for the first fail of the season. Pretty drone shots of his clifftop fellowship though.

Kelsea: Probably my favorite voice up to this point. (Team Alicia)

D.R. Unique voice, I was quckly hoping he wasn't going to be the 2nd fail of the season since he was the first successful auditioner who got absolutely zero backstory. (Team Kelly)

Kaleb: Well, he definitely sounds like what passes for modern country music today. Pretty limited voice though. I'll withhold judgement until I see what other country talent Blake is able to cobble together. He could be fodder, or he could hang around as one of Blake's one or two country artists for longer than you would think... (Team Blake)

Mackenzie: Childish Gambino? Childish Gambino.

Justin: First out country act on the Voice since Kristen Merlin? Nice voice (to be honest I wouldn't really grade anybody an A tonight). (Team Kelly)

Not really sure what I think about the block so far. We've only seen it deployed on Blake & Adam, so I guess it's fine. Depending on what kind of country talent is actually on the Voice this year, I could easily see Blake getting Justin after all with a steal later on...

**Found out after the fact, Kyla ended up with Team Blake which I guess is slightly surprising.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I get the feeling Blake threw away his block because he thought it was a pointless twist. He used it right away to have a laugh at Adam. Sounds about right.

I like Kelly and Blake although I think it may have been a mistake to put them next to each other. They are friends IRL and it shows.

4 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I get the feeling Blake threw away his block because he thought it was a pointless twist.

That's more or less what I thought, too. I have no idea if he thought it was pointless, but he sure wanted rid of it. He wasn't about to be "strategical" (TM Kelly) with it.

Speaking of Kelly, it's just impossible to not like her.  She's a basket full of joyful energy. I really do believe she wants wants to guide someone through a similar experience that she had. And I genuinely laughed when she responded with "Hang on there, son. I had enough experience to mentor your team back in season two! He had to phone a friend!"  Not obnoxious at all, but pointed enough that she's no push over.

It's Alicia who still seems  a little uncomfortable to me. Still very much the adult in the room. I think she would love to scream "Cut it out and get down to business!" to the other three. But she can mix it up by necessity as well.

Adam, more than ever, seems on auto pilot to me. He seems way more scripted than the other three, and sometimes is overly desperate. The snow angels in front of Blake was silly and over the top.

3 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Speaking of Kelly, it's just impossible to not like her.  She's a basket full of joyful energy. I really do believe she wants wants to guide someone through a similar experience that she had. And I genuinely laughed when she responded with "Hang on there, son. I had enough experience to mentor your team back in season two! He had to phone a friend!"  Not obnoxious at all, but pointed enough that she's no push over.

I’m loving Kelly. She’s a basket full of energy for sure! And quick with a quip! This season is so much fun already. I can’t ever remember laughing so much with the previous judges. J.Dud and Miley usually made me eye roll or side eye...lol. I’m really looking forward to see what she does with her team! 

I don't like the block thing, it is stupid and unfair to the artist. The last guy basically got a four chair turn, but they blocked Blake to stop the country mafia.  Shouldn't the guy really have the choice on who he picks? It seems to me it was completed designed to stop Blake. As this has been a complaint in past seasons, and he is the only one that has a clear group that he works with.

We found Jennifer so annoying last year that we ended up tuning out pretty early in the season, so last night was an enormous improvement, thanks to Kelly.  She was so fun and so genuine, we loved her.  (Years ago, I got to meet her backstage after one of her concerts, where the air conditioning in the arena had stopped working midway through the show, and her first words were, "I'm sorry I'm so gross!" lol)

ITA with @blueray that the block thing is kind of unfair to the singer.  If I went on The Voice and, let's say, Boy George was a coach and he tried to pick me and I wasn't allowed to pick him back?  To quote my dad, I'd raise more hell than a pet monkey.

I don't like the block. I noticed in both cases last night it did not help the coach that hit the blocked button.  The singers in both cases picked another coach. I would not want to pick a coach that prevented me from having the coach I most wanted.  It seems to hurt the singer more than the coach.

6 hours ago, Cindyluwho said:

I was totally underwhelmed by the talent last night. But I love Kelly, so I will watch just to get my Kelly fix.

I found it the weakest start musically that I could remember. But Kelly adds some fun (as long as she and Blake don't turn into clones of my ever-squabbling 6 year old neighbors).  ITA that she's there to help it seem more of a competition and less of a runaway for Blake, especially where country musicians are concerned.  Same for the block.

As for the block, it emphasizes the game aspect over the music, but probably doesn't change much results-wise. I guess you can block someone even when you aren't both competing for a singer, which seems kind of unfair to the singer, as others have said. I wondered if that one guy picked Alicia over Blake because he was so disappointed that Blake had blocked the coach he really wanted--and had the chance to have!  A lot of people stay with their original coach to the end--and maybe beyond, as a mentor--so that is kind of a mean twist for singers, imo.   I'm glad they can only use it once. Oh, and the mention of Boy George upthread made me think it would be fun to see a different artist in Adam's seat, or even Blake's.

Hopefully, they wanted to set up Night 1 with the new coach dynamic and tonight will bring out better performances.

I adore Kelly and have since AI.  She is genuine with a quick wit.  He had to phone a friend!  So good.  Her close friendship with Blake adds another level of enjoyment for me. 

I detest Alicia and hate her insincere ‘you touched my soul’ canned praise. 

The other three have strong personalities so hopefully she will be marginalized.  That is wishful thinking on my part.  She isn’t as bad as JHud but that says nothing. 

While Kelly shouts...a lot...she is so joyful and exuberant that I don't mind a bit.  She cracks me up and seems so genuine.  Love her.  I also don't get the point of the block.  The singer should be able to choose whom they want, and as someone above stated, the blocked coach could very well acquire that singer with a steal later on, unless they have changed that as well.

That was a great show, oh man, I am so glad Hudson is gone gone gone, Kelly is so wonderful, loud, but who cares, she has got the talent to back it up - A very good first episode. (Even with all the sob stories, which I hate, I just fast forward through them)

Jennifer Hudson was loud, assertive, competitive, over the top, and vocally talented.  Kelly Clarkson is loud, assertive, competitive, over the top, and vocally talented. Both could be considered obnoxious, yet Jennifer was pretty heavily panned while Kelly is beloved. What is the difference? 

Edited by rollacoaster

If Kelly starts going up to everyone she wants and performing with them, then she'll be the same as JHud for me. That's what pisses me off. Adam does it, so does Alicia. Blake rarely does it.  Sit your asses down and stop taking the begging and manipulating to a physical level. 

YMMV of course, but Kelly's loud/assertive/over-the-topness feels like an extension of who she is in reality. She strikes me as the human equivalent of a boisterous Labrador retriever. Whereas because JHud comes off as a rather cold and standoff-ish person (going back to her AI season even)....her loud/assertive/over-the-topness (throwing multiple shoes?) didn't really read as particularly genuine. 

That being said, as a quiet, type b personality were I to interact with Kelly or a Kelly type personality...I would be utterly exhausted within 20-30 minutes. All the judges banter usually wears me out by the end of the blind auditions, so while Kelly was an improvement....I will mostly likely be giving my fast foward button a workout as the next few episodes proceed.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
49 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

YMMV of course, but Kelly's loud/assertive/over-the-topness feels like an extension of who she is in reality. She strikes me as the human equivalent of a boisterous Labrador retriever. Whereas because JHud comes off as a rather cold and standoff-ish person (going back to her AI season even)....her loud/assertive/over-the-topness (throwing multiple shoes?) didn't really read as particularly genuine. 

That being said, as a quiet, type b personality were I to interact with Kelly or a Kelly type personality...I would be utterly exhausted within 20-30 minutes. All the judges banter usually wears me out by the end of the blind auditions, so while Kelly was an improvement....I will mostly likely be giving my fast foward button a workout as the next few episodes proceed.

I've been a fan of Kelly for more than a decade so I'm used to her and "boisterous Labrador retriever" is a spot on description. On Duets the ABC singing show that lasted the summer of 2012, she was also  bubbly and outgoing but here it's amped up to 11 because she's around Blake, who she's been friends with for years.

This story Blake tells at 3:10 about sums up their relationship:

Edited by VCRTracking
1 hour ago, rollacoaster said:

Jennifer Hudson was loud, assertive, competitive, over the top, and vocally talented.  Kelly Clarkson is loud, assertive, competitive, over the top, and vocally talented. Both could be considered obnoxious, yet Jennifer was pretty heavily panned while Kelly is beloved. What is the difference? 

For me, it's probably that Kelly laughs a lot, including at herself. JHud (Productions) took herself very very seriously and, unlike Kelly, wasn't particularly funny.  (Her comeback about Blake asking her to mentor his team would have sounded like one-upsmanship from JHud, but Kelly made it sound like playful good-natured bickering between friends. (Yes, they are real friends, but I think Kelly, in general, just has a different more down-to-earth and funny personality than JHud. That "Sorry I'm so gross!" comment above, shows it's there even with "regular" people.)  If I loved JHud's singing and coaching style, I would say there's no point comparing two different personalities.

But since I don't care for her singing style or coaching (although I -did- like her comments about the performances), and her personality came across to me as way too loud and abrasive, I don't miss her at all.   (Hopefully, nice as Kelly is, she won't be so loud and exuberant ALL the time, though. That could get old soon, too.)  I think she'll be a good coach--looking forward to what she does with her team.

I didn't understand the singer who chose Blake over Kelly because of "Wynonna". Is there some Blake-Wynonna connection that we should be aware of?  Reba, I know. But what's the deal with Wynonna?

Here’s the deal for me.  Hudson gave off an entitled aura.  She did that on Idol too but it was miles worse on The Voice.  YMMV.  Kelly’s just fun and has never taken herself all that seriously.  After banning myself from the blinds last season, it’s fun to be watching them again.  I enjoy both Kelly and Alicia and both are a great improvement over last time.  Having said all that, I wasn’t bowled over by any of the singers.  Hopefully, tonight will be better.  

I’ve never heard of a special Blake/Wynonna connection so don’t have a clue.

Someone help me out, please.  What is the deal with throwing shoes?  I always thought that was meant to be a huge insult.  Since when did it become a complement?  Did it originate with Hudson?

I apologize if this has already been said. I haven't read the board yet.

I don't think that this button is fair to the artists. Those people achieve their dream of getting the mentor that they want to turn their chair. Then the other coaches get to stop it? Not fair at all...

Kaleb – Thank goodness we get a tearjerker backstory that’s a happy one! His son is adorable. That being said, the editing made it look (to me) like the judges were kinda meh while he was singing,  but dramatically perked up when he sang about getting on his knees and finding Jesus. The Chairs turned around right after that. (I also cringed a bit when Kelly proclaimed that Jesus was telling Justin to pick her, but then laughed when she pretty much equated Adam with "Satan")

It might be because he got the pimp spot, but I thought Justin was the standout of the evening. He had stage presence and seemed ready made for videos and cross-genre success if he chooses. I felt bad that Blake got blocked from getting him (and honestly, Adam does come off as a buffoon with his anti-Blake antics) but of them all, he probably did make the best choice. I had hoped to hear more from Justin directly (before Kelly cut him off excitedly) bur fingers crossed we’ll get the chance through the rest of the season.

Kelly’s awesome pitch of “I’m about the longevity of the artist” had to sting the other coaches a bit—Alicia is too new to challenge that, and Adam’s main pitch is about Adam. Even his “you don’t even have to go with me, I’m just happy you can’t go with Blake” pretty much rules him out as a serious contender. So much for him being “strategical” (sic)!

I enjoyed Kelly in this episode, but I also enjoyed Jennifer Hudson in the beginning too. I agree that a main difference is that Kelly doesn’t seem to take herself too seriously, plus-- wasn’t she a winner? So far it doesn't look like she’ll be reminding us of all her accomplishments, as Jennifer seemed compelled to do (and that did get old).   

And seriously...another 14 year old made it through?

The people at ABC have to be kicking themselves that they couldn't snag Kelly for the return of Idol because she is great at this. She has a warmth and a love of music that shines though everything. She was singing along to every song. 

The contestants were pretty dull. No one screamed winner. I liked the 14 year old best (I know!) Her tone was really interesting. My least favourite was Rachel Dolezal singing Childish Gambino. I'm so glad no one turned around for that nonsense. 

I cut out last season after about 4 episodes of the blinds, because I just couldn't with Jennifer Hudson.  It seemed like these boards at that time were very pro-Jennifer, so I'm surprised that so many above have mentioned that she made last season hard to watch.

Anyway, glad to be back watching and Kelly is a breath of fresh air.  I am a staunch disliker of so many kids on the show, but oddly enough I liked the 14-year-old, a lot.  I was pleased though that most of tonight's performers were over 21.  Some over 30 omg!!

I don't care how far in we are.  I'm doing this, and doing this quickly.

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Rayshun LaMarr (2)
Drew Cole (2)

Team Alicia
Britton Buchanan (3)**
Kelsea Johnson (3)

Team Kelly
Brynn Cartelli (2)
D.R. King (2)
Justin Kilgore (4)**

Team Blake
Kyla Jade (2)
Kaleb Lee (2)

The number in parentheses details the number of chairs that turned. One asterisk means that this artist's Blind was montaged. Two asterisks mean that the Blind had a Block used during it.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, atlantaloves said:

Oh me too, me three, I hated Jennifer with a white hot fire

I'm sure Jennifer cares soooooooo much about that and is crying over it.

. . . Oh, wait.  She doesn't, and she's not.