Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Warhol Ball

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, 2727 said:

Many of the young queens on the show already have established personas and successful careers -- how much historical knowledge that required of them is up for debate. I would also be interested in whether or not Ru follows young/new drag performers on IG or in pageants and clubs. My guess is that he's much more in tune with decades past (his past), so I'd say lack of knowledge cuts both ways.

At any rate, the contestants at whatever age should know what Ru's expectations are for this game, and fair or not, that includes some familiarity with his generation of celebrities.

I think Ru or someone close to Ru and the show clearly follows younger queens on IG/Twitter/FB. The last several seasons have seen several IG queens get cast. It's a smart decision because they bring their legion of fans with them.

Though I think that shift has also brought with the internet troll contingent to the show. I'm always stunned at the anti-gay, anti-trans, racist posts of some of these queens' online fans hurl at other queens and fans. Literally missing a huge message of the show and the LGBTQ movement in general.

• Love 2

The thing is, I think Aja pretty obviously had done her research. We don't know what, exactly, they'd been told to prepare for. Maybe they were told it was Warhol themed, and so she didn't know that the 60s wig she brought would be a total taboo. She also knew that obscure ass France Joli reference (I'm 31 years old and do not feel bad at all about not knowing who that is, die mad about it), she just didn't know how to pronounce it. That, to me, makes it likely that she looked it up and read about it, hence saying it without knowing how to pronounce it. 

I'm not mad about Aja going home because I'm not mad about anyone going home. I'm not even mad they read her for not giving what they were demanding, even though it was definitely the stupidest, most unclear challenge in years, if not ever. The only thing I'm mad about is how Ru and Michelle appeared to be actively trying to humiliate her for not pronouncing something correctly. 

Edited by Egg
  • Love 5

I didn't understand that Bebe was saying 'delicacy' at first, and English isn't her first language, but it was another chance to show RuPaul and Michelle's lack of consistency. I also think Michelle should know that peanut soup is a thing in parts of Africa.

27 minutes ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

I didn't understand that Bebe was saying 'delicacy' at first, and English isn't her first language, but it was another chance to show RuPaul and Michelle's lack of consistency. I also think Michelle should know that peanut soup is a thing in parts of Africa.

To be fair, Michelle probably thinks peanuts are some sort of toxin.

(I've listened to too many of the podcasts.)

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Egg said:

The thing is, I think Aja pretty obviously had done her research. We don't know what, exactly, they'd been told to prepare for. Maybe they were told it was Warhol themed, and so she didn't know that the 60s wig she brought would be a total taboo. She also knew that obscure ass France Joli reference (I'm 31 years old and do not feel bad at all about not knowing who that is, die mad about it), she just didn't know how to pronounce it. That, to me, makes it likely that she looked it up and read about it, hence saying it without knowing how to pronounce it. 

I'm not mad about Aja going home because I'm not mad about anyone going home. I'm not even mad they read her for not giving what they were demanding, even though it was definitely the stupidest, most unclear challenge in years, if not ever. The only thing I'm mad about is how Ru and Michelle appeared to be actively trying to humiliate her for not pronouncing something correctly. 

Well if you are as old as I am, I'd be embarrassed and sorry for anyone who wasn't alive to live that era! Loved the music; it gave us LIFE! France Joli was just one of many divas who killed it back then! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425

I felt like a lot of the ensembles didn't read very Studio 54. Ben looked like more like Pam Grier a la Coffey or Foxy Brown, Trixie seemed like early seventies Hippie Barbie. Even if Shangela's outfit wasn't great, I could at least say, "Oh that feels Studio 54-ish." Also Aja, if she had gone with a more Farrah Fawcett hairdo, would've been more Studio 54.

• Love 1

I don't remember ever seeing her dance--can she???

I'm never proud to have youtube clips on hand. . . it always seems like a sign I should get a better hobby. But here's Trixie's absolute best dance move.

Thanks, Stowaway.  Our work is done here......

Can Ru actually afford writers for the numerous one liners?  Because they are EVERYTHING!!!! I'm always chortling over this show.  It's like they hired Shecky Green's gay grandson from the Catskills...

• Love 1