Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The Finale: Winner is Announced!

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, ichbin said:

It's not just you.  I got that impression as well.  The only time I saw it start to come back, but only a bit, was when Ross nominated her for eviction.  

Yes.  It’s almost as if someone in Production mentioned to Oshit, “You DO know, don’t you, there’s an entire dimension of BB called ‘the feeds’ and ‘BBAD’ which goes out into the world live and unedited, right?  A real-time thing we can’t take back in the cutting room to give you a more favorable edit, right?  RIGHT???  ...Yeah, I thought you did.”

Almost, of course.

Because nobody in Production would ever give a HG a personal PR heads-up, of course.

Of course.   Not.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't much care about showmances but all last season's couples are still together, aren't they?  I'm just wondering where all the 'fake showmance' talk is coming from, but maybe it's prior seasons?  I don't follow much but I think Jeff/Jordan, Brenchel and Danni/Dom are all still together, too, right?  The only other ones I can think of are the awful Austin and McCray ones that I care not two shits about.  

I was so glad to not have to see showmances on this Celebrity season.   I'm over the showmances.

On Big Brother: Over the Top in 2016, there was a big showmance -- Shane and Danielle, or Shanielle, or whatever they were called.   Their showmance  was nauseating (yes, they consummated their showmance under the covers, with other people trying to sleep in the room, and then lied and said they didn't -- forgetting that those of us with the feeds could see what was happening).     Still, as nauseating as they were, it seemed like they were smitten enough with each other to where it could possibly last a full year outside of the house.

But... it didn't.   Danielle was ready to take her young son and pack up and move to North Carolina, where Shane lived.  She said she wanted to find a "tiny house" and move in.  The last I saw, she visited him in NC and he visited her in California, but they split up several months after BBOTT ended.  They didn't even make it a full year outside of the house/game.

Out of Marlena, Jody and Maven from 2017, I expect that at least one of those showmances will break up sooner rather than later.  It hasn't even been a year since BB's summer season ended and the couples have been able to spend time together in the real world.   If I had to guess, I'd say that Matt and Raven will be the first to split up.  Mark and Elena are too in love at the moment, as are Jessica and Cody.

7 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Out of Marlena, Jody and Maven from 2017, I expect that at least one of those showmances will break up sooner rather than later.  It hasn't even been a year since BB's summer season ended and the couples have been able to spend time together in the real world.   If I had to guess, I'd say that Matt and Raven will be the first to split up.  Mark and Elena are too in love at the moment, as are Jessica and Cody.

Jody just won the latest "The Amazing Race" as well.  They seemed pretty solid.  I didn't really like them at first on BB and I didn't watch much of TAR (probably because I was watching BB and the Olympics).  However, they remind me of a couple I know -- total best friends, very physically fit, adventurous and active, strong competitors, and smart.  Jody isn't quite as smart as these two and Cody is far more arrogant than the guy I know.  But aside from the personality flaws, they're nearly twins.  The two I know would rock at Survivor or Amazing Race and probably get more fan love than hate.  Based on all the other traits, it seems like those two (Jody) might stay together for a while. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

Jody just won the latest "The Amazing Race" as well.  They seemed pretty solid.  I didn't really like them at first on BB and I didn't watch much of TAR (probably because I was watching BB and the Olympics).  However, they remind me of a couple I know -- total best friends, very physically fit, adventurous and active, strong competitors, and smart.  Jody isn't quite as smart as these two and Cody is far more arrogant than the guy I know.  But aside from the personality flaws, they're nearly twins.  The two I know would rock at Survivor or Amazing Race and probably get more fan love than hate.  Based on all the other traits, it seems like those two (Jody) might stay together for a while. 

Well... they’re engaged now, so I hope so for their sake.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Just my opinion of course but when couples hook up in the first couple days and give themselves stupid names like Jody, Marlena and Maven, that's what is fake to me. And I'm not talking about just last season, there are always people who go into the house with the main goal of getting into a showmance because that's guaranteed to give them more air time. Sure, some of the couples continue dating but most of them fizzle out, because they were never real.  Also, screw Mike Boogie, for creating the word "showmance". (And for multiple other reasons, of course.)

I am so in agreement with all of this.

In the past the showmances developed organically and you'd tend to only have 1 or 2 at most. Now it is legitimately a strategy and an attempt to get more camera time. When people walk through the door and are in a showmance in less than an hour I just roll my eyes. Even if they make it in the real world after. It comes off so fake and it just eats up so much of the season. It doesn't help that most recent showmances have been duds. Neither part of the couple thinks to work much at the actual game. Jody did ok last season but that was mostly because of Jessica. Maven were just straight up trash at the game on on levels. If they were even strategic it would be better.

15 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't even think it was production.  I think she probably spent the night with a smart phone, talking to her friends or agent about how to adjust her game best.  Not for winning it but for whitewashing her image.  Well, that's probably not a verb she'd approve of, but you know what I mean. 

Absolutely. I don't think it was ever about the win for Omarosa. She saw this as a chance to try and change the narrative about her. Post firing the press dismissed her (rightly so) and literally said bye Felicia to her lies. I don't think she fooled everyone by doing the show but I think being seen getting along with the house guests for the most part, having people like Ari praising her for being smart and nice, and trying to seem devote probably did make some people change their minds about her (ugh).

• Love 1

I liked this season because the competitors were adults and for the most part behaved like adults, even during their weaker moments, like Shannon. Being pouty and holed up in a room isn't the best behavior, but much preferable to verbal abuse and harassment, the ganging up against one, picking fights for the fun of it, etc. I think a big motivator was that most of the contestants have children and did not want to behave in a way that would make their children feel ashamed.  I think some kids might feel embarrassed, but I don't know if any would actually feel ashamed (maybe Brandi's, but even she behaved much better than I thought she would).

In a regular season it's much harder to cast "adults" because adults are usually busy working full time jobs, taking care of their families and simply can't take a whole summer away from their responsibilities. The only exception I've seen is that people with union jobs seem to be able to take a summer off and return to their jobs - maybe extended leaves are protected in their contracts.  (I'm thinking of police officers and nurses.) There's another exception, I guess - if there is a spouse or partner who can hold down the fort financially while the other is on TV.

I think Shannon voted for Marissa because Marissa was her friend before the game. Then, as someone said above, Ross backdoored her when Shannon thought she was in an alliance with him. I think the betrayal got to her more than simply being backdoored and maybe she felt less betrayed by Marissa than Ross.

• Love 2

I just remembered, and wished that I had posted about it before, but these guys like so many before them were cut off from most of the news over the past three weeks.  I know they told Season 2 contestants about 9/11 because Monica had a cousin who was in WTC at the time (who sadly didn't make it out).  But most of the time, they don't tell them about anything going on in the outside world, with the exception of a movie premiere (which they usually get to see in a private screening).

So, this group of houseguests was told about who won the Super Bowl.  But they left just a few days ago without any knowledge of Parkland and the debates that followed.  Weird.  That's one reason I could never be on BB or Survivor or any of those.  I couldn't stand to not know about hurricanes that might be affecting my area or breaking news or crises around the world.  AND, I wear my loyalty on my sleeve.  They'd know my alliances in a heartbeat.  Two solid reasons I could never play.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I liked this season because the competitors were adults and for the most part behaved like adults, even during their weaker moments, like Shannon. Being pouty and holed up in a room isn't the best behavior, but much preferable to verbal abuse and harassment, the ganging up against one, picking fights for the fun of it, etc. I think a big motivator was that most of the contestants have children and did not want to behave in a way that would make their children feel ashamed.  I think some kids might feel embarrassed, but I don't know if any would actually feel ashamed (maybe Brandi's, but even she behaved much better than I thought she would).

Agreed.  Even the borderline shunning IMHO was different than in previous seasons - more focused on reducing social friction and awkwardness than promoting social ostracism.  A lot of passive aggressiveness, but MUCH less outright bad behavior.

In a regular season it's much harder to cast "adults" because adults are usually busy working full time jobs, taking care of their families and simply can't take a whole summer away from their responsibilities. The only exception I've seen is that people with union jobs seem to be able to take a summer off and return to their jobs - maybe extended leaves are protected in their contracts.  (I'm thinking of police officers and nurses.)

A lot of jobs (especially government and union jobs) also allow you to “bank” unused leave and roll it over to successive years - at least up to a point, after which you get into things like “use or lose”.  They also generally have wider options in terms of things like getting leave advanced to them, and taking leave without pay.  All of which means such a HG may never even miss a paycheck - or if they do, at least they’ll still have a job to go back to when they’re done with the show.

I think Shannon voted for Marissa because Marissa was her friend before the game. Then, as someone said above, Ross backdoored her when Shannon thought she was in an alliance with him. I think the betrayal got to her more than simply being backdoored and maybe she felt less betrayed by Marissa than Ross.

Given the Hobson’s choice presented Shannon in the way of voting options, her vote for Marissa surprised me not at all.  What did surprise me, though, was Production’s apparent total lack of effort to lock down pre-Vote Jury swaying tactics.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/26/2018 at 10:50 PM, Primal Slayer said:

They had the Final 7 on The Talk today and it was so awkward how Julie and co. completely ignored the fact that Marissa was one of the original co-hosts on the show.

No, she wasn't.  Holly Robinson Peete and Leah Remini were the two original co-hosts who were let go.  They then had a whole lot of women sitting in occasionally while they searched for permanent co-hosts.  I believe Marissa was one of them, but so were many, many other women.  I don't think it's odd at all that it wasn't mentioned, and I didn't notice anyone feeling awkward. 

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

No, she wasn't.  Holly Robinson Peete and Leah Remini were the two original co-hosts who were let go.  They then had a whole lot of women sitting in occasionally while they searched for permanent co-hosts.  I believe Marissa was one of them, but so were many, many other women.  I don't think it's odd at all that it wasn't mentioned, and I didn't notice anyone feeling awkward. 

I looked it up myself, and Marissa wasn't technically an in-the-studio host, but she was an original out-of-the-studio host. She just didn't last long. I think she only lasted a couple of months before being let go. She was replaced by Kelly Osbourne. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I looked it up myself, and Marissa wasn't technically an in-the-studio host, but she was an original out-of-the-studio host. She just didn't last long. I think she only lasted a couple of months before being let go. She was replaced by Kelly Osbourne. 

I stand corrected.  Usually I look things up before posting if I'm not sure, but we're having a huge snowstorm here and internet is sporadic.  So I apologize.

It was a long time ago, though, and they went thru lots of changes with various co-hosts, so I still don't think it was odd that it wasn't mentioned, especially considering there were so many other guests there and the point was to talk about Big Brother.  Nothing seemed awkward to me.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

Heather McDonald recently (on either her Juicy Scoop podcast or when she was a guest on Ross Mathews Straight Talk podcast while he was doing BB) talked about this.  She said that both she and Marissa were trying out for being a part of The Talk.  I think I remember she said Marissa got the position, but Leah Remini who had actually been the person they initially wanted suddenly became available so they decided to use Marissa in a featured spot instead of part of the daily in-studio cast.  

By the way, the Heather had both Ross and Marissa on her last podcast, and Ross had Marissa (with a call in from Brandi) on his last podcast.  They talked about their Big Brother experience and were entertaining about it. 

Edited by ichbin
spelling
16 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Half the cast have been hanging out a lot. Glad to see they made genuine relationships. Even Brandi/James.

Which half?   ;-)

• Love 1