Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, Ohmo, they still think her death was because she was texting -- in response to a friend who had texted her, "Hi."

I had heard from somewhere that there was the thought that she might have been changing a radio station, but in the big picture, it doesn't matter.  Whatever she did, it was a decision that cost her her life.  I did like that CtM did take a contemporary issue and put it in a historical context because, like many things, distracted driving existed before the age of texting.  It's just more prevalent and more high-profile now due to the technology piece.  However, I can totally buy that accidents like Terry's did happen in 1963.  There were just different forms of distractions back then.

• Love 7

My few cents....

I don't think that THAT MOM really so much as had a change of heart and suddenly wanted her daughter to know things.  I think that what her parents did to her and her sister, kept her in constant fear of being a 'ruined woman'.   She was afraid to look for her sister, she even told her sister that she wanted to be 'close' to her husband but what afraid to be because her mother told her enjoying sex would have made her a bad woman and her husband ultimately left her and her daughter for it. Which probably didn't help things much. In the end its not like she tells her daughter she can go to the class, she only allows her to go to the library again.  I think for her it was all driven by fear, and Valerie made her take the leap to see her sister.  Seeing her sister probably made her see all that her fear was costing her, and  that she was doing the same thing to her daughter.  

If Barbara dies, I don't think they will go the route of putting Trixie and Tom back together,  Helen George has said interviews that she likes not having a lot of shared screen time with Jack because it helps for them to keep their private life, private.  Although I do think that T/T do have better chemistry than T/B and I would like to see them together again or at least revisit it.   TBH, I suspect that Trixie is going to come back and Chris is going to try to push her into starting a relationship with him again.  I liked Chris in the beginning, but to be honest I don't like him too much anymore.  He is kind of pushy and materialistic.  He has even said that there is no excuse for a woman to ever not look your best.  Granted I know that Trixie can be pushy and materialistic, but she would never look down on anyone for not looking perfect.  I am kind of seeing why Christopher ex-wife might be bitter and hate him and Trixie if she once felt like she was being pushed into being this perfectly well kept woman.  We all know that there are plenty of reasons why we might not look our best when we have young children at home.  Or maybe because we just don't like make up and high heels.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Thumper82003 said:

I was lucky to be at that sleepover, my friend’s mom explained things a lot better than my mom would have! The only problem with being 9 was that I had no idea what was happening, that I was “dying”. 

That must have been so traumatic!  Do you mind me asking if your friend's mom called your mom to let her know?

I knew what to expect but when it finally happened it still freaked me out a bit.  But I was 12, not 9.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I knew what to expect but when it finally happened it still freaked me out a bit.  But I was 12, not 9.

I was 12 too, but when it started I thought "yay! I'm a woman." But then the cramps set in, and I was "crap, I have to go through this every month for 40 more years or so??"

• Love 8

I never knew if she told my mother. I expect she did, but my mother never mentioned it. I grew up in an era that said “don’t wear patent leather shoes since they reflect your underwear” or “wear a slip in the shower so you’re not tempted to look at yourself.” My friend’s mother was much more liberal than mine. (And she had a lot more kids, lol.) It was better getting the birds& bees from her than my mother. She knew how to take the fear out of it. I was recently able to thank my friend on FB. Unfortunately her mother had died years before, but my friend said that sounded like her mom.

In Girl Scouts, we had to get permission from the priest to wear jeans while camping. That was the era. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Thumper82003 said:

That was the era. 

In high school (public) we had to wear skirts every day.  One day in our senior year we had a special "Seniors Come to School in Shorts" right before graduation.  The Catholic high school seniors really whooped it up - they got to wear civilian clothes instead of uniforms one day at the end of the year before graduation.  But it was skirts/dresses and no patent leather shoes allowed.

• Love 2
On 2018-04-24 at 12:00 AM, rhys said:

I think the warning notice was about that ridiculous sanitary napkin arrangement that Lucille was holding. Now why a tampon wasn't shown baffles me.

And can someone explain why these girls were 16? That's way too old to get this talk.

Not back then...remember this was the early 60’s...

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

In high school (public) we had to wear skirts every day.  One day in our senior year we had a special "Seniors Come to School in Shorts" right before graduation.  The Catholic high school seniors really whooped it up - they got to wear civilian clothes instead of uniforms one day at the end of the year before graduation.  But it was skirts/dresses and no patent leather shoes allowed.

Ditto! I went to public school and in my elementary school days, girls had to wear a skirt and if it was a day that we had "tumbling" (no such thing as gymnastics back then), we had to wear shorts under our skirts. The only exception was if it was 32 degrees or lower, we could wear a pant suit, certainly not jeans! I remember a girl named Kim had the audacity to wear a pant suit when it was to close to 32 but not exactly 32 and the principal actually drove her home to change into a skirt. I remember being infuriated.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Ditto! I went to public school and in my elementary school days, girls had to wear a skirt and if it was a day that we had "tumbling" (no such thing as gymnastics back then), we had to wear shorts under our skirts. The only exception was if it was 32 degrees or lower, we could wear a pant suit, certainly not jeans! I remember a girl named Kim had the audacity to wear a pant suit when it was to close to 32 but not exactly 32 and the principal actually drove her home to change into a skirt. I remember being infuriated.

I remember in elementary school, we had to wear a skirt, no exceptions with weather (in the Rockies, mind you). So we'd stuff our skirts into snow pants to get to school, struggle out of them for classes, back into them for recess, etc., etc.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Bunnyette said:

Not back then...remember this was the early 60’s...

Not only that, but Valerie said this was for the girls whose parents were too uncomfortable to talk to them about it......so chanced are it went on a lot longer before the parents released they needed to be instructed.. I also think that since we never say this before now, it was likely a new thing started up by Valerie.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, Ohmo said:

I think initially Lily was sent to the mental facility because "moral insanity" meant she was sleeping around.  She was mentally fine at the hospital until she had the baby and it was taken away.  Then she actually DID have a mental break and that's why she remained at the hospital.  To start with though, it was more of a punishment for sexual behavior that was considered inappropriate at the time.  There was nothing wrong with Lily's mental state when she first arrived.

There is a horrific movie called The Magdalene Sisters about girls--teens--in the 50's/60's  being sent to a work house--- forever, and it's like a prison, in Ireland, for various reasons. ..including one girl having been raped sent away by her family cuz she was defiled. Another unwed girl lost her wits cuz they forcibly  took her baby away,  and there were other girls with minor (to me) issues.  It's based on a true story. A real Nightmare. With nuns. 

Fucking hypocritical, misogynistic social "norms" then.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Tosia said:

It's based on a true story. A real Nightmare. With nuns.

The same thing happened in residential schools to which Native Americans were sent.  Priests would rape the girls and then the babies were killed. Some remains were found hidden in plastered over walls when the schools were demolished.  Kids were forced to kneel on marbles for hours as punishment. All in the name of God.

An on another note, we'll find out Barbara's fate soon.

• Love 4

I saw the same story about babies/mothers in Ireland. One woman made it her life’s work to find the names of those “buried” in a septic tank in a corner of the grounds of a home for unwed mothers.  Sad. The few that got away never talked about it, brought the shame with them. The woman exposing this was the daughter or granddaughter of one who got away.

• Love 3

That Story About Irish Babies Buried in a Septic Tank Was Shocking. It Also Wasn't Entirely True.

"The truth is not entirely clear, but we know this: 796 babies are buried somewhere on the site of the old Bon Secours sisters’ home, which operated between 1925 and 1961. The records clearly show that." This probably belongs in the Small Talk thread, but I wanted to put more information where the misunderstanding appears.

• Love 3
On 4/24/2018 at 9:27 AM, jschoolgirl said:

I thought the firemen seemed pretty casual about it all. 

On 4/24/2018 at 9:34 AM, Kohola3 said:

That's what caught my attention.  They seemed to be strolling in, no sense of urgency at all!

And their hose was so small! I had to snicker a bit. I'm sure it's historically accurate, but the tiny hose in combo with the casual slow walking in to a burning building like it was a Starbucks was too much for me to ignore.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this episode, especially the scenes with Sister MJ in her bed singing with her roommate. Those were just wonderful.

I also loved the scene of Phyllis and Fred standing side by side inspecting the renovated shop and she pops one of his cookies? in her mouth just like him. It was nicely done.

I grew up in the 80s. We got a 1 hour film to watch with the school nurse in 5th and 6th grade. The boys would make fun of us. In 6th grade, we all agreed to lie to the boys when they started to tease us and say it was about a back issue. Sure enough at lunch, a boy started making fun of us for learning about our periods. We calmly explained "oh, no, it was about some back issue that is unique to girls. . ." Each of us echoed the same lie and he fell for it. It was our little joke and it stopped the teasing. 

My mom sent away for a starter kit from one of the pad companies. It came with a little booklet of girls (with flower names like Daisy) writing to each other all excited about getting their periods. It had samples of different sized pads and one box of tampons. I was a late bloomer (14) so I spent a lot of time checking out my box and rereading the book. I realized later how lucky I was. My best friend got hers in 5th grade and had painful cramps that kept her out of school sometimes. I just had mildly annoying cramps. But I remember being scared to try tampons. I eventually did by 10th grade. what a game changer. Previously, getting your period meant walking down the hall scared to death your pad had shifted and there was blood leaking through your jeans. . .