Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I would be extremely surprised if that were the case.  These people are actors and that's their profession.  I can't imagine anyone paying a bit of attention to any personal feelings.  Actors who hate each other still manage to work together as needed;  surely having a chaste love scene (it's not like this is anything beyond PG rated) should cause any issues.  

One would think actors/actresses would be able to separate their personal feelings. I use to watch a show and for the longest time I couldn't understand what was wrong the actresses scenes with her on screen husband felt weird/off and their make-out scenes became very chaste. I kept waiting for the storyline to go the route that they were getting a divorce, but that never happened. I came a cross an article that said that after the actress in the show got married she was uncomfortable kissing anyone but her real life husband.

I really do not think Tom & Trixie are a good match in the tv show, and if the show kills off Barbara and then puts Tom & Trixie together it will 1) annoy me and 2) I will think the whole thing has something to do with Helen & Jack wanting Tom & Trixie together.

• Love 1

I think the warning notice was about that ridiculous sanitary napkin arrangement that Lucille was holding. Now why a tampon wasn't shown baffles me.

And can someone explain why these girls were 16? That's way too old to get this talk.

• Love 1

Could Barbara have been any more casual about calling the fire department? And then so politely asking the firemen to rescue Phyllis? I know she’s trained to be calm in an emergency, but she registered no emotion or urgency. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Just want to add if they do kill off Barbara I won't be mad.  I'll miss her and want it to be where she lives next week but I won't be mad at the show if she dies die.  What would make me very mad at the writers is if Barbara dies and they put Trixe and Tom back together.

I would absolutely hate if Barbara dies and they pull that. Trixie/Christopher is much better.

Hopefully Barbara will recover.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, rhys said:

I think the warning notice was about that ridiculous sanitary napkin arrangement that Lucille was holding. Now why a tampon wasn't shown baffles me.

And can someone explain why these girls were 16? That's way too old to get this talk.

I agree that girls should be learning about this at an earlier age but my guess is that if (back then) they’d have had a harder time getting parents to give permission for younger girls. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, magemaud said:

And then so politely asking the firemen to rescue Phyllis? I know she’s trained to be calm in an emergency, but she registered no emotion or urgency. 

That scene was so odd! Barbara runs out, asks for help and then just stands there. The shop is filled with fire and smoke - she didn't feel like she needed to show or at least tell the firemen where Phyllis was? It was just so weirdly done.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:
8 hours ago, rhys said:

I agree that girls should be learning about this at an earlier age but my guess is that if (back then) they’d have had a harder time getting parents to give permission for younger girls. 

This old lady went to school in the 70's.  We got ONE talk about our periods in 7th grade.  It was a movie shown by the school nurse and our parents had to sign permission slips for us to even watch the movie.  Waiting until 7th grade was pretty much too late for most of us anyway.  What I remember most about it was being jealous that the boys got to go play in the gym for that hour.  Then sex education was two hour long classes in high school given by the school district's doctor at which I learned nothing.  I'm sure experience varies and some who grew up during that time got more info and some got even less but it was pretty pathetic and again waiting until we were HS Sophomores to cover the "birds and bees" didn't really do us any favors.  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, magemaud said:

Could Barbara have been any more casual about calling the fire department? And then so politely asking the firemen to rescue Phyllis? I know she’s trained to be calm in an emergency, but she registered no emotion or urgency. 

I thought the firemen seemed pretty casual about it all. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

That's what caught my attention.  They seemed to be strolling in, no sense of urgency at all!

• Love 11

I am old enough to remember using one of those things.   You used to be able to get the belts with a "pretty lace trim" in pink or blue.  It was a happy day when the first self adhesive pad came out in the early 70's.  My mother never discouraged me from using tampons, but when I was very young I did not find them comfortable, then I got scared off by the toxic shock incidents in the early 80's.  I also remember my grandmother telling me how she and her sisters used rags in the late 20's.  I was horrified.

Question for UK viewers: How long are the unedited episodes?

I often watch online and the PBS edits run around 53 minutes.  Do they cut out more than 7 minutes of content?  Because even though PBS has no commercials, the only reason I can see for the edits is if the episodes run longer than an hour, which would mess up the scheduling.  But surely they could cut out those ridiculous "behind the scenes" segments and at least keep a couple of the cut scenes.

• Love 8

Someone said that the fire in the shop was started by a cigarette, right?  Presumably one that Widowed Mom was smoking.  I wonder if she realizes that.  At least her twins seem to be OK despite her smoking.

3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

This old lady went to school in the 70's.  We got ONE talk about our periods in 7th grade.  It was a movie shown by the school nurse and our parents had to sign permission slips for us to even watch the movie.  Waiting until 7th grade was pretty much too late for most of us anyway.  What I remember most about it was being jealous that the boys got to go play in the gym for that hour.  Then sex education was two hour long classes in high school given by the school district's doctor at which I learned nothing.  I'm sure experience varies and some who grew up during that time got more info and some got even less but it was pretty pathetic and again waiting until we were HS Sophomores to cover the "birds and bees" didn't really do us any favors.  

That reminds me of the hilarious episode of "The Wonder Years" when the gym teacher has to teach Kevin's class about reproduction. He draws a uterus and Fallopian tubes on the chalkboard and one of the boys thinks he's drawing a cow's head. 

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:
3 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

That's what caught my attention.  They seemed to be strolling in, no sense of urgency at all!

You're right, I've seen more commotion when firemen rescue a cat stuck in a tree. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Am I the only one who thought sex hating mom looked way too much like she could be an older version of Barbara? 

More seriously, I didn't really follow that storyline.  So sex hating mom thought her daughter learning about the female body was evil because her sister liked sex and went away forever?  And then sex hating mom learns the "reform school" was really a hospital and we learned that the sister became depressed after her baby was taken from her at the hospital and just stayed there?  I felt like I missed something. 

I think initially Lily was sent to the mental facility because "moral insanity" meant she was sleeping around.  She was mentally fine at the hospital until she had the baby and it was taken away.  Then she actually DID have a mental break and that's why she remained at the hospital.  To start with though, it was more of a punishment for sexual behavior that was considered inappropriate at the time.  There was nothing wrong with Lily's mental state when she first arrived.

• Love 4

Someone said that the fire in the shop was started by a cigarette, right?  Presumably one that Widowed Mom was smoking.  I wonder if she realizes that.  At least her twins seem to be OK despite her smoking.

Have to remember, this is 1963. Although Patrick has quit, many of the midwifes still smoke, as well as the other characters. And Patrick doesn't say a word. Mrs. Davidson was smoking in the doctor's office and he had an ashtray!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, willowk said:

Have to remember, this is 1963. Although Patrick has quit, many of the midwifes still smoke, as well as the other characters. And Patrick doesn't say a word. Mrs. Davidson was smoking in the doctor's office and he had an ashtray!

Plus it's a tobacco shop.  All the customers would probably have been smoking or buying some form of tobacco and immediately lighting up, throwing the match in the waste basket.

They have the "warning," at the beginning of every show as a matter of course.  I always tell my husband it's for him because he still hasn't gotten over the breech birth episode.  I seriously  wouldn't exactly want my children to see some of the more frightening ones, like the one where the placenta was stuck and someone was yanking on the cord while the woman screamed.  It's enough to make little girls grow up with the birth phobia we learned about last week.

The anti-sex education woman should have quietly listened to the class.  No one was telling the girls how to make sex more fun. They were teaching them important things such as peeing after sex does not keep you from getting pregnant.  If anything, that class would have made the girls less likely to fall for some of the  lines boys  give girls to talk them into sex, like, "Don't worry, I wont get you pregnant." 

"

• Love 10
  On 4/23/2018 at 10:52 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

Just want to add if they do kill off Barbara I won't be mad.  I'll miss her and want it to be where she lives next week but I won't be mad at the show if she dies die.  What would make me very mad at the writers is if Barbara dies and they put Trixe and Tom back together.

I would absolutely hate if Barbara dies and they pull that. Trixie/Christopher is much better.

Hopefully Barbara will recover.

I've read articles so I know how this turns out. The season must be nearing it's end. I'm glad I found it on PBS. I usually watch on Netflix and wasn't looking forward to waiting on this season.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Ohmo said:

There was nothing wrong with Lily's mental state when she first arrived.

Although having spent any time in a place that was so traumatic was bound to make her nutty.  What a nightmare for a young girl to have to endure.

5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I am old enough to remember using one of those things.   You used to be able to get the belts with a "pretty lace trim" in pink or blue.  It was a happy day when the first self adhesive pad came out in the early 70's.  My mother never discouraged me from using tampons, but when I was very young I did not find them comfortable, then I got scared off by the toxic shock incidents in the early 80's.  I also remember my grandmother telling me how she and her sisters used rags in the late 20's.  I was horrified.

Question for UK viewers: How long are the unedited episodes?

I often watch online and the PBS edits run around 53 minutes.  Do they cut out more than 7 minutes of content?  Because even though PBS has no commercials, the only reason I can see for the edits is if the episodes run longer than an hour, which would mess up the scheduling.  But surely they could cut out those ridiculous "behind the scenes" segments and at least keep a couple of the cut scenes.

I, too, experienced using a belt (nothing pretty. My parents had a LOT of girl children). I also heard the story about using rags in the "old" days and was duly horrified as well because I associated rags with dirty floors.  However, it was explained that "rags" (meaning clothing that couldn't be mended anymore) were still cloth and could be re-purposed. Nothing was thrown away back then. So, no-longer-wearable cloth (rags) would be cut up and folded into strips that could be made into pads. If lucky, some of the cloth might be either soft or absorbent, or both. (or moss might be encased in them for absorbancy) The invention of menstrual belts most likely came from the methods women used to keep these pads-made-of-repurposed-cloth in place. AND they wouldn't throw these "rags" away after use. No, they'd be like cloth diapers and have to be washed and disinfected after use (lye soap). What a lot of work it was just being a woman! Heh. At least they didn't contribute to unending mounds of garbage! (/tiny silver lining) ;-)

Regarding the issue of edits.  I don't recall if I got the following from this show's forum discussions or some other forum dealing with PBS airing edited versions of British shows, but this is what I remember being informed (from a credible source) about this issue a number of years ago.

BBC, at least, doesn't have commercial breaks, so their shows tend to run longer than program slots in other countries. Their shows are also licensed for broadcast in numerous other countries around the world (not just the US) so they take charge of editing the program to fit non-BBC time slots before leasing them out. A one-size-fits-all solution.  That vindicates PBS because there is no reason for PBS to waste time and money making the running time shorter. It would explain why they provide filler.

However. It doesn't answer the question of why the edits are so... insensitive (is the only word I can think of) to the subject matter. My own speculation is that the editing is farmed out (the way some shows subtitling seems to be) to an outside source that has no connection to the show's production team. That, at least, would explain the ham-handed cuts. It certainly explains some of the hilarious subtitling I've seen!

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Anothermi said:

AND they wouldn't throw these "rags" away after use. No, they'd be like cloth diapers and have to be washed and disinfected after use (lye soap). What a lot of work it was just being a woman!

I have always wondered how in the world U.S. pioneer women managed back in the day, particularly considering they were traveling cross country in wagons, at best.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Anothermi said:

AND they wouldn't throw these "rags" away after use. No, they'd be like cloth diapers and have to be washed and disinfected after use (lye soap). What a lot of work it was just being a woman! Heh. At least they didn't contribute to unending mounds of garbage! (/tiny silver lining) ;-)

That was main reason I as so horrified.  The thought of having to wash those rags, most likely by hand with a washboard, was unthinkable to my 12-13 year old self.  My grandmother came from a large Irish Catholic family -there was not much money and I doubt they even had a wringer washer. Then the image of all those rags drying on the line was just awful to me.  

• Love 7

I remember years back on BBC America, shows running for odd amounts of time.  The next  show started at an odd time also.  So, I can see why they are edited on PBS.  Add me to the group that doesn't care to see all the behind the scenes stuff. I'd  rather see more of the actual show.  But then the PBS station I watch also shows the same two seasons of Great British Baking over and over just before Call the Midwife.  

Growing up in the 60s, my sex ed consisted of the class in 6th grade.  My mother never did talk to me about things.  Also, she didn't wear tampons and instead of a sanitary belt, she used a safety pin to put the pad in her panties.  So, I was extra thankful when beltless pads  were invented.  As for Toxic Shock Syndrome: I remember using the brand tampon that  cause it.  It was made of spongy material. I remember a piece breaking off and falling out.   

I remember my grandmother talking about menstruation and calling it my business.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

I've read articles so I know how this turns out. The season must be nearing it's end. I'm glad I found it on PBS. I usually watch on Netflix and wasn't looking forward to waiting on this season.

Me too but I'm pretending I don't know and writing/thinking from a imagined position of not knowing and not going past this episode.  I figure I can't take back what I accidentally read and I still want to sort of participate like it's all new.  

• Love 5
23 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Me too but I'm pretending I don't know and writing/thinking from a imagined position of not knowing and not going past this episode.  I figure I can't take back what I accidentally read and I still want to sort of participate like it's all new.  

This describes me as well.  I already know where we're going to go, so I'm (not so) patiently waiting for everyone else to get to the same place on Sunday.  I read spoilers like they are my goal in life.  Never met one I could pass up.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

59 minutes.

Well, that explains some of the trimming.  They need time for the "sponsored by" ads.  But we can certainly do without the "behind the scenes" stuff which, personally, I find boring and rather senseless.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Anothermi said:

I, too, experienced using a belt (nothing pretty. My parents had a LOT of girl children). I also heard the story about using rags in the "old" days and was duly horrified as well because I associated rags with dirty floors.  However, it was explained that "rags" (meaning clothing that couldn't be mended anymore) were still cloth and could be re-purposed. Nothing was thrown away back then. So, no-longer-wearable cloth (rags) would be cut up and folded into strips that could be made into pads. If lucky, some of the cloth might be either soft or absorbent, or both. (or moss might be encased in them for absorbancy) The invention of menstrual belts most likely came from the methods women used to keep these pads-made-of-repurposed-cloth in place. AND they wouldn't throw these "rags" away after use. No, they'd be like cloth diapers and have to be washed and disinfected after use (lye soap). What a lot of work it was just being a woman! Heh. At least they didn't contribute to unending mounds of garbage! (/tiny silver lining) ;-)

.And from this comes the phrase "on the rag"

I was presented with my own belt ("the flower goes in front dear") and was so happy when my mom started buying the new beltless product not too long after. All the 5th grade girls had to go watch this "baby movie" in the cafeteria, but I don't know if there were permission slips involved. The boys went to the gym and had their own movie (I never asked but always had a mental image of their movie being some army training film about STD). We had a semester oh "Health" class in high school, but I don't remember how much of that was sex ed. The girls in the show should have had that talk years before, but it seemed like a better late than never thing.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 3
On 4/22/2018 at 7:00 PM, Blackie said:

I liked that Fred got his group out to restore the shop, but smoke damage reeks, you can't just paint over it.  Maybe it will be ok in a smoke shop? And it would take quite a bit of time to clean and renovate a whole shop

Fred did say it needed to be gutted, so I'm assuming he had "the lads" do that and then it fast forwarded and we only finally saw a clip of them painting because by then they'd done the rest of the work. So it wasn't implying all they did was paint, it was implying "hey look, they're already to the point of painting" to indicate the passage of time.

I must be an asshole because I was mighty pissed at that dude for totally distracted driving and killing his own damn self. Lack of car safety standards at the time notwithstanding, that was his own damn fault. He screwed over his family.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I must be an asshole because I was mighty pissed at that dude for totally distracted driving and killing his own damn self. Lack of car safety standards at the time notwithstanding, that was his own damn fault. He screwed over his family.

I'll join you in that asshole club.  I scream at the TV all the time over people taking their eyes off the road to talk to their passenger. I'm not the best driver in the world but I've never felt the need to look at the person next to me while driving.  This guy was picking through food to find just the right bit of fish n' chips on a street filled with pedestrians and children playing.  Sister Winifred is a better driver.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Fred did say it needed to be gutted, so I'm assuming he had "the lads" do that and then it fast forwarded and we only finally saw a clip of them painting because by then they'd done the rest of the work.

And we don't know how long the twins and mom were in the hospital/maternity home.  Back in the days when I was born (granted it was in the dark ages, eons ago) moms were in the hospital a full week.  Moms with twins, especially if they were small (which is normal for a multiple birth) were sometimes discharged before the babies to give them time to gain some weight.  Granted, those kids looked normal size but that's the poetic license for TV;  in reality they may have needed to stay a while in the maternity home so that would give Fred's team time to get things  back in shape. 

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, jschoolgirl said:

I know, they've done this with every show this season. It was very rare before.

PBS has done this since season 1, pretty much every episode.  At least on MPT.  And yes, it is potentially gross, so I think the warning is warranted.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6
On ‎04‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, BusyOctober said:

Also, as a lifelong resident of the area, she never knew that Lark Hill was an asylum vs. reform school? 

Bermondsey isn't in the same area of London as Poplar.  It's close enough now that people would probably know about something like that, but it was different in the early 60s.  Someone not in the medical profession would be unlikely to know that much about an asylum in a different section of London.

On ‎04‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, BusyOctober said:

No one in her neighborhood, school, hair salon, church ever dropped the hammer to let her know what the place really was?

It's highly unlikely she ever told anyone else about her sister.  Certainly her parents wouldn't have.

• Love 3
On ‎04‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, rhys said:

It was 1963.  Girls didn't always get the talk earlier.  Hell, some of them never got it at all.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It was 1963.  Girls didn't always get the talk earlier.

I'm not entirely sure things have improved all that much.  Kids might get the talk earlier but in some of schools in the US (mostly areas with evangelical leanings), abstinence is the only thing approved for discussion. It's ridiculous.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm not entirely sure things have improved all that much.  Kids might get the talk earlier but in some of schools in the US (mostly areas with evangelical leanings), abstinence is the only thing approved for discussion. It's ridiculous.

Too true. And beyond ridiculous. Never understood why the pro-life movement is also violently opposed to sex education and contraception. Makes absolutely no sense.

My mother got me a booklet from one of the tampon manufacturers back in the late 60's/early 70's.  It was pretty informative, and even talked about tampons. I think I was around 11 at the time.  She also got me a box of pads and a belt to keep for when the time came.  I was 12 when I needed them. 

In 1972, in 8th grade, we had a sex-ed lesson in our (co-ed) religion class at school. Kinda hazy but as I recall it was mostly very mechanical.  No talk of birth control. Teacher told us we had better not laugh- this was important stuff.  This was a (public) Catholic school in Quebec.  They were always ahead of their time.  We had altar girls in the late 60's, a good 20 years ahead of the US.

• Love 4

I also went to a Catholic school and we got the 'talk' at least twice (once in biology and once in ethics) - both times rather detailed. Everything explained quite neatly - in ethics class the expected was added (wait until you're married etc.). But somewhere between the lines I thought the message was rather clear: We'd rather you don't but if you do - be smart about it. But then it was the 80's at the height of AIDS.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I also went to a Catholic school and we got the 'talk' at least twice (once in biology and once in ethics) - both times rather detailed. Everything explained quite neatly - in ethics class the expected was added (wait until you're married etc.). But somewhere between the lines I thought the message was rather clear: We'd rather you don't but if you do - be smart about it. But then it was the 80's at the height of AIDS.

Catholic school, circa 1980 (5th grade); girls met with the school nurse, boys had their talk about the guy side of things with the gym teacher.  Lots of anatomy and your cycle, pads, tampons, etc.  Adhesive pads were the norm at this point, so no mention of belts at all.  Absolutely no talk of birth control.  That didn't occur until I went to public high school.  The problem with me is that I didn't start my cycle until I was 14.  So much time had elapsed between 10 and 14 that I didn't remember what my cycle was when I finally started having it, so I was a little freaked out at first.  Took me a bit to recall what I had learned at 10.

• Love 2

Me too, Ohmo.  My school gave all the seventh grade girls a little talk about fallopian tubes and a Modess booklet. I liked the booklet for it's good grooming tips but all the rest of it must have gone right over my head because I was unprepared when things started a year or two later.  My mother had to tell me how to work the belt and  she nearly died of embarrassment in the process.  Remember those, "Modess....because," ads of women in long beautiful evening gowns?  I don't know if they sold any product but the ads were gorgeous.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, jschoolgirl said:

PBS has done this since season 1, pretty much every episode.  At least on MPT.  And yes, it is potentially gross, so I think the warning is warranted.

This is the first season I have seen it on my PBS channel,.....Buffalo/Toronto

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

This is the first season I've seen it before every episode, and I watch it on MPT. But I watched seasons 1 through I think 4 on Netflix, so maybe that is the factor.

12 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'll join you in that asshole club.  I scream at the TV all the time over people taking their eyes off the road to talk to their passenger. I'm not the best driver in the world but I've never felt the need to look at the person next to me while driving.  This guy was picking through food to find just the right bit of fish n' chips on a street filled with pedestrians and children playing.  Sister Winifred is a better driver.

I felt the fish and chips were the equivalent of a cell phone today.  Do you remember when those McDonald's commercials came out about buying an extra package of fries that you could eat on the way home?  That way your family wouldn't get angry because you ate all the fries.  Those drove my mother nuts because she thought they were encouraging distracted driving.  She always lectured us about eating or fiddling with the radio while driving.  

Is there some rule that PBS can only devote 60 minutes to each episode of CTM?  Would the world come to an end if the show ran from 7:00-8:15?  Couldn't Darlene Shiley come up with some more dough so we can get those few minutes they cut from each episode?  

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Is there some rule that PBS can only devote 60 minutes to each episode of CTM?  Would the world come to an end if the show ran from 7:00-8:15?  Couldn't Darlene Shiley come up with some more dough so we can get those few minutes they cut from each episode?

I love this!  Come on Ms Shiley, if you really love these shows let us see the whole thing!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Blackie said:
12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
On 4/22/2018 at 7:05 PM, jschoolgirl said:

1 hour ago, jschoolgirl said:

This is the first season I've seen it before every episode, and I watch it on MPT. But I watched seasons 1 through I think 4 on Netflix, so maybe that is the factor.

Interesting that practice varies between PBS stations. The warning has been consistently shown before every episode on KQED (at least since S2, when I started watching on broadcast) and also on the streamed episodes on PBS.org. I've always assumed it was down to the birth scenes, which are more graphic (and realistic) than in other TV shows, coupled with the early airing time (first hour of primetime, so-called "family hour"). Naturally, there's nothing like it on Netflix, as Netflix just states film/TV ratings in the movie or series description.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2018 at 8:02 PM, Ohmo said:

I snorted during the scene in the class when the young girl mentioned what her sister said about girls going to the bathroom after sex.  There are so many examples of that type of incorrect information that has been passed down and continues to be to this day.

I remember in 1964 (4th or 5th grade) explaining to a girl my age that no, babies did not come out of the butt. My mother and father were very forward thinking when it came to explaining the facts of life. Around the same time I'd asked a neighbor's 8th grade daughter if she'd menstruated yet. Her mother was incensed and complained to mine, who just said "well, if you want your daughter to be ignorant, that's your business, my daughter isn't going to be." My mom, unfortunately, grew up incredibly sheltered and - while in labor - thought her belly button was going to open up and the baby would come out easy peasy.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:14 PM, LittleIggy said:

One of my pet peeves is “You Are My Sunshine” being presented as a cheery song. It isn’t. It’s a “my woman left me for another man” song. The chorus is always taken out of context. Listen to the cover of it on the “O Brother, Where Art Thou” soundtrack. The guy is heartbroken.

Indeed. And yet it was the "lullaby" my father sang to me all the time. Pretty strange.

On 4/23/2018 at 4:01 PM, marceline said:

Yikes. That's...unfortunate. Although I do remember the Rely tampon/toxic shock debacle. I was years away from my first period and I was utterly confused and terrified because my mom used that brand. 

I was furious when they took Rely off of the market - it was the only tampon on which I could...rely. It was comfortable and absorbent. I believe it came out later that it was a bum rap, but I don't really remember.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:00 PM, rhys said:

God those belts were nasty to wear and hook up. Fortunately, I didn't have to use them for very long - but they were my introduction.

On 4/24/2018 at 5:33 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

Older lady here. Elementary and middle school in the 60's. I had an unusual experience both at home and in school(s). My mom gave me regular talks about the facts of life, well before sex ed classes. In 4th or 5th grade in my military dependent school we had a sex ed class (the boys got to play basketball, we were pissed). We needled the "teacher" because she wouldn't be explicit about which parts of the body needed to touch to make a baby. Almost made her cry. A pack of girls can be pretty vicious. Then I went to a number of different schools in the US and hit  what seemed like every experimental program there was. One instructor told us pregnancy was a self-correcting venereal disease. I think he meant to be funny. It was hard to tell. That one was co-ed, and pretty uncomfortable.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
On April 24, 2018 at 4:01 PM, 3 is enough said:

That was main reason I as so horrified.  The thought of having to wash those rags, most likely by hand with a washboard, was unthinkable to my 12-13 year old self.  My grandmother came from a large Irish Catholic family -there was not much money and I doubt they even had a wringer washer. Then the image of all those rags drying on the line was just awful to me.  

I wasn't going to post but my mother who had a childhood out of Grimms Fairy Tales had to wash her evil evil stepmothers out.  It was during the depression but her father had a very good job and they lived in a well to do area in San Fransisco. 

Catholic school, circa 1970s, 7-8 grade boys in one class, girls in the other. Permission slip, my father said no, my mother signed it anyway. Girls side: Kotex film, basics of menstrual cycle, hygiene, no birth control or basic info or how you get pregnant. Then in HS, anatomy class a nun gave the class so embasrraed that she didn’t notice the dead worm at the end of the string to the blinds. (She spent class twirling it...)

Problem was I started when I was 9, at a sleepover. That friend’s mother was the only one who told me what was happening and that I wasn’t dying... Then she gave me Kotex and taught me how to use them.

I remember the clips on the belts, always migrating so girls squirmed in their seats to try to get comfortable. TG for the adhesive!

• Love 5

image.png.7ae33af124da5e848b0243d32481faf9.pngDoes anyone remember this book? The fun is just beginning! The book went through various printings and covers over the years, but I chose this one because it was from the early 60s when the show is set, and I believe it was the one I was given in 7th grade. There was actually a Museum of Menstruation in some guy's basement, but now it's all online: http://www.mum.org/

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 1

So I remember the belts being discussed but in either the rather lengthy booklet I got at school, or in Are you there, God? It's Me, Margaret.

The lengthy booklet was about four girls who were I think corresponding by letter about their periods and how they were waiting with baited breath for their periods to start and how not really intimidating it was to go to the drug store and get the pads and what belt should they choose, and this one's belt had flowers, and omg first one and then the next would tell the others how amazing it was to have it HAPPEN. 

I recall the Judy Blume book being pretty similar in that Margaret and her friends were super duper into their periods and their tits. I recall my mom being a lil teary eyed when I told her, probably because I was the youngest, and she referred to me becoming a woman. Then she awkwardly began explaining sex and I was like "Mom, a man puts his penis in a woman's vagina, and ejaculates sperm onto her eggs, if I don't want to get pregnant I shouldn't let a guy that, are we done?" and she was all "No, you need to use condoms if you have sex because of GRID, you don't want to end up like Arthur's boy".

And there, I just dated myself totally. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

I felt the fish and chips were the equivalent of a cell phone today. 

This reminded me of one of our local sportscasters.  He's been here for decades, so he's well-known.  About 41/2 years ago, his oldest daughter was killed in a distracted driving accident at the age of 21.  She was driving, although I don't know if they ever discovered what actually distracted her.  Anyway, it's now become his cause.  He speaks about it in lots of local venues whenever he's not doing work related to sports.  He's started a foundation, and one of the things it does is buy driving simulators that rotate around the area to high schools and drivers ed classes.  The issue of distracted driving gets a lot of local coverage, so it was the first thing I thought of when I saw Terry eating the fish.

• Love 2

Yes, Ohmo, they still think her death was because she was texting -- in response to a friend who had texted her, "Hi."

Poor (( Thumper.))  Only nine years old.  I was 14.

10 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I wasn't going to post but my mother who had a childhood out of Grimms Fairy Tales had to wash her evil evil stepmothers out.  It was during the depression but her father had a very good job and they lived in a well to do area in San Fransisco. 

One of the many books I read based on theories of why Lizzie Borden took up that ax, one was because it was that time of the month in the household and Lizzy was not only PMSing but had to wash out those things for all the women in the house.

• Love 4