Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E01: Can You Reverse the Curse?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

And for fuck's sake...ENOUGH WITH THE WHISPERING AT TRIBAL COUNCIL.  Jeff needs to stop that shit NOW.

If it's stopped then why should they be stopped talking on the way to tribal council?  Or be pulled away for interviews just before the journey to tribal?

2 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

The best lies are always mostly the truth. I think Jacob just got ahead of himself and couldn't wait to get to the lying part. He should have described what happened on Ghost Island, including the game. He could have either told them he didn't find anything (although he was hoping to parlay the fake idol into safety, so I'm not sure that would have gained him anything - maybe just that they would think the possibility was there that he had an idol), or that he opened it and found the idol he had in his hand. When they challenged him on the paperwork to go with it, he could have said it didn't have anything with it ... does that mean it could be a fake? *gasp*

"He should have described what happened on Ghost Island, including the game." - he did do that, he just added that he got an idol instead of the legacy advantage.  You do need some idol authentification note though.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the problem with people like Jacob is they come out here not only trying to play a character, but to imitate a character created in seasons past that got attention.  In his case, he not only was trying to be a super fan, but the hapless, out of their element one like David and Ryan.  Real super fans that wanted to win but also create a character would know how to better have a handle on that.  Jacob might as well have voted himself out after the challenge.  He made that vote way too easy.  

Despite the fact that they only focused on about 5 people (it seemed anyway, because I barely remember any of the ladies) I like two hour premieres.  Or at least 90 minutes, but I hate when there's only an hour premiere, and those are even worse when there's 3 tribes.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I think the problem with people like Jacob is they come out here not only trying to play a character, but to imitate a character created in seasons past that got attention.

I expect the producers encourage that, they seem to want similar types these days.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, amazingracefan said:

If it's stopped then why should they be stopped talking on the way to tribal council?  Or be pulled away for interviews just before the journey to tribal?

"He should have described what happened on Ghost Island, including the game." - he did do that, he just added that he got an idol instead of the legacy advantage.  You do need some idol authentification note though.

Jeff did say "it's YOUR tribal" when Gonzo got up to whisper. And I think the difference that will keep them from being allowed to talk between camp and tribal is that the camera and audio people are able to pick up the whispered words at tribal whereas possibly they would not be able to do that during transit. 

That said, the tribal whispering was bound to happen eventually and it obviously can backfire so it doesn't bother me. More strategy. 

• Love 3

I hope that Donalthan kept the parchment from GI or the tribe will not believe that he didn't get to play.

Amazingracefan(!), I think it should be the opposite. If they allow the whispering, why stop them from speaking on the way to tribal. Or am I not understanding what you mean.

• Love 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

No!  I was wrong.  The two alpha dudes are after James - the ones you hope will go far.

If you are referring to Chris (blond model) and Sebastian (fisherman with the rastafarianish hair), the two guys from Florida who have the chiseled bodies and six packs who did underwear yoga on the beach... they aren't on the same tribe as James (Asian guy who looked buff but couldn't swim).  Chris and Sebastian are on the same tribe as Dominick (the Italian/Hispanic looking guy who said Chris made a bad decision in giving up the challenge).  

James is on the same tribe as Brendan (teacher/coach who was picked as the leader and who has some weird red rash/infection all over the right side of his chest), Donathan (I think we all know who he is), Michael (pretty boy 18 year old pretending to be 23) and the late Jacob.

22 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Didn't Gonzalez say her first name is Stephanie?  So maybe they told her to call her by her last name because there's another Stephanie there.  In fact, production might have even suggested it.

I get that, but why her?  Why didn't they make the other Stephanie go by last name as well?  They may have suggested it but she could have said no, make the other girl go by last name, make us both go by last name or call me "Stephanie G", I don't want to be a douche like Cochran and be the only one insisting on being called by last name.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

If you are referring to Chris (blond model) and Sebastian (fisherman with the rastafarianish hair), the two guys from Florida who have the chiseled bodies and six packs who did underwear yoga on the beach... they aren't on the same tribe as James (Asian guy who looked buff but couldn't swim).  Chris and Sebastian are on the same tribe as Dominick (the Italian/Hispanic looking guy who said Chris made a bad decision in giving up the challenge).  

James is on the same tribe as Brendan (teacher/coach who was picked as the leader and who has some weird red rash/infection all over the right side of his chest), Donathan (I think we all know who he is), Michael (pretty boy 18 year old pretending to be 23) and the late Jacob.

@redheadzombie meant Brendan and Michael are after James, I am not sure yet, they should get rid of the crier Donathan first.

(edited)
On 3/1/2018 at 1:53 PM, amazingracefan said:
On 3/1/2018 at 1:45 PM, HurricaneVal said:

And for fuck's sake...ENOUGH WITH THE WHISPERING AT TRIBAL COUNCIL.  Jeff needs to stop that shit NOW.

I hate it too.  They do the planning at camp and that is it, silent walk and no huddles.  I have always liked the moments in TC when it looks like the plan might be changing but everyone is not sure.   I prefer the furtive glances and sign language.  It adds to the tension. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 19
24 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

I thought he just told them that he smashed an urn and the idol was in it.

• Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I get that, but why her?  Why didn't they make the other Stephanie go by last name as well?  They may have suggested it but she could have said no, make the other girl go by last name, make us both go by last name or call me "Stephanie G", I don't want to be a douche like Cochran and be the only one insisting on being called by last name.

Also, her and Stephanie aren't even on the same tribe.  Couldn't they just call one Steph or Stephy and the other one Stephanie?  Even if they hate it, but hey, it's TPTB rules.  I think Stephanie is the one who wanted to go by Gonzalez.  I'm assuming she probably does have to get the okay that that's what Probst will be calling her, too, but I feel that was more her decision.

So this thing about whispering at TC-would they allow contestants to start speaking to each other in a different language?  For example, say some castaways find out they can all speak and understand Spanish, while the rest of their tribe can't.  Why not just let them start talking to each other in a different language, whatever it might be.  I don't see the difference, personally, because it still puts certain castaways at a disadvantage.

I hate it too.  They do their planning at camp and that is it, silent walk and no huddles.  I have always liked the moments in TC when it looks like the plan might be changing but everyone is not sure.   I prefer the furtive glances and sign language.  It adds to the tension. 

My favorite moment for this was during Caramoan, when Malcolm pulled out his two idols, making his 3 Amigos alliance completely safe.  Then openly saying they were voting Phillip, but everyone panicking and talking out loud and over each other.  Those are TC chaotic moments I like.  Who started the whispering thing in GC, JT?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

Yes, I didn't think he said it was a choice as to whether or not to go for it.  He said he was given an idol.  The tribe immediately asked him if it came with a note, and he said he accidentally left the note on Ghost Island.  So stupid.  I don't get why you would tell people you got an idol, especially when he didn't.  That just invited everyone to target him.  If he's such a big fan of the game, why do that?

Also, lying about the fake note was dumb, he could have at least said the instructions said to burn it.  

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

I think he said he told them what it was like there so that when another person went they could corroborate how it went.

With both the first two eliminations I think they were both in desperate situations and were really just doing what they could to survive by tribal.  At least Jacob had some chance to try and turn things round before tribal so he was better off there, Gonzales had things turn against her at the last moment when she wasn't there.  Both tribals seem to have been foregone conclusions whatever was said at them, I think they were decided already back at camp.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

@redheadzombie meant Brendan and Michael are after James, I am not sure yet, they should get rid of the crier Donathan first.

Ah, ok, got it.  I looked up on Wikipedia, Brendan voted for Jacob.  Only Michael and someone named Libby voted for James.

And in looking at the cast list... I realise we didn't see the purple tribe much in two hours because they won both immunity challenges, but who are some of these people?  There is apparently Angela, Bradley, Chelsea, Kellyn and Wendell on this tribe.  They spent all the focus on Chris, Dominick and Sebastian.  I think Desiree is the African-American female with the short blonde hair and the enormous rack.  Morgan is the one that said "not me" with respect to the puzzle but I wouldn't be able to identify her.  

On the orange tribe, it says a lot about the editing that I know who all the men are but I have absolutely no idea who Jenna or Libby are.  I recall the other Stephanie with the huge bushy mass of hair, and I think Laurel is the AA woman with the braids and glasses?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Also, her and Stephanie aren't even on the same tribe.  Couldn't they just call one Steph or Stephy and the other one Stephanie?  Even if they hate it, but hey, it's TPTB rules.  I think Stephanie is the one who wanted to go by Gonzalez.  I'm assuming she probably does have to get the okay that that's what Probst will be calling her, too, but I feel that was more her decision.

Same tribe :) I did not like Gonzalez, so good when her smug face got voted off. :))

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

That sure isn't much rice for 10 people. 

That pretty much guarantees that all the challenges are going to be food related.                                                     

8 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

That pretty much guarantees that all the challenges are going to be food related.      

We can only hope.  I don't think I could stand to watch another Ryan starve to death before our eyes, or get so skinny that you could literally see his heart beat within his chest.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Yes, I didn't think he said it was a choice as to whether or not to go for it.  He said he was given an idol.  The tribe immediately asked him if it came with a note, and he said he accidentally left the note on Ghost Island.  So stupid.  I don't get why you would tell people you got an idol, especially when he didn't.  That just invited everyone to target him.  If he's such a big fan of the game, why do that?

Also, lying about the fake note was dumb, he could have at least said the instructions said to burn it.  

He had to say he got something from Ghost Island because the next person who went there would know that he came back with something.

5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

My friend was supposed to be Natalie, but the hospital misspelled it as Nathalie.  Just one extra letter, but everyone always pronounced it with the h.  So not exactly the name her parents wanted, but close.  I suppose there are much worse scenarios and misplaced letters that could make that very awkward for some people.  I think Donathan put in his bio that he's "Donathan, not Jonathan."

See, I don't get that at all. I understand that some moms are woozy and drugged out when they're asked to confirm the birth certificate info at the hospital, but if it was me,and I got the official certificate in the mail and found out my kid's name was misspelled, I'd take whatever steps necessary to change it. I certainly wouldn't be all, "Oops, the hospital misspelled your name, guess we'll all now have to call you Donathan for the rest of your life instead of Jonathan. Oh well!"  

4 hours ago, Dominii said:

Yep, Gonzales must be a Trump fan. Her tweet could be: "Terrific non-girly girl voted out of Survivor by fake tribe. Tribe should have voted out Donathan, who is the worst (and crookedest) loser of all time. Sad!"

I know this is probably snark but I feel compelled to defend Gonzalez in this one instance by pointing out she most assuredly is not.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

In his case, he not only was trying to be a super fan, but the hapless, out of their element one like David and Ryan.

It's funny, I laughed at Ryan bragging about his social game, but in retrospect, he pretty much was running the Hustlers before his post-merge deterioration. And David, who was scared of a bird, clearly had a brain in his head as he found the idol right away, and was just socially savvy enough to stay under-the-radar until he could make a move. Jacob was neither smart nor socially savvy (from what we saw). I also got a real Gamergate-y vibe from him in a way I didn't with David and Ryan.

But the moment I turned on Jacob entirely was when he said "Survivor's been on since I was four years old, and I've been watching from the beginning." I immediately yelled "Liar" at the TV. It had this instant ring of B.S. Who even knows what Survivor is when you're four? I just didn't believe a word that came out of his mouth after that (and clearly, neither did his tribe).

• Love 7
4 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

I think that dame's gams look swell. In fact, she's the bee's knees.

I just registered just so that I could quote this and say it made me snort out loud!

Stephanie (the yoga instructor who compared herself to Beauty while saying that Jacob was the beast) needs to quit tossing her nasty looking hair around during Tribal Council.   I wanted to shout through the screen "honey, you ain't all that so get over yourself".    Also, she looked like a rather bizarre fugly unicorn when she twisted her hair up into a bun almost placed on her forehead.   

And whoever said this was mainly an unattractive cast, yes.    

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Donathan is the only one I find even remotely likeable.

Same here. Thank god they kept him in, or I would have had a hard time wanting to go forward with this season.

They should have subtitled it: Ghost Island, With No Oldies! I miss the token middle-aged people. I miss the variety of life experience. There's not one single older person, ffs!

Other than the loathesome Gonzalez and hapless James, it's a blur of passably attractive young women and men. I don't watch Survivor for 'eye candy'. And until they bring out Brooks (the Bachelor) and Dmitry (Project Runway), there will never be what I'd view as 'eye candy' on this show, anyway!

So that leaves me with cunning Stephanie with the big bush of frizzy dyed black hair and cheerful, appreciative Donathan as the only castmates I am remotely interested in, after two hours of show. Still, double ep, so that's something.

• Love 3

Nothing made me happier than the Gonzalez vote off. Bitch thought that TC whispering nonsense was cute.  Heh.

My best friend's sister named her son Donathan 25 years ago.  This Donathan is only the 2nd time I've heard that name.  Cool.

And I'm really liking this Don.  I'm a sucker for the "people finding strength they didn't know they had" storylines so I hope he goes far.  

Did the two black players really make ALL of the baskets?  Too funny.  It's what we do.

Oh, Jacob.  A pretty woman bats her eyes and you tell all.  You big dummy.  I hope his big mouth doesn't come back to bite Morgan.  I'm liking her so far.  Her self-awareness about having a big mouth was cute.  But I don't like the idea of production rummaging thru my bag, even if it is to plant an advantage.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, violet and green said:

They should have subtitled it: Ghost Island, With No Oldies! I miss the token middle-aged people. I miss the variety of life experience. There's not one single older person, ffs!

I think that Brendan (high school teacher / coach) looks like he's in his 40s.  So does Dominick, Chris' antagonist.  And I want to say there's at least one nameless woman on the purple tribe that looks 40ish.

I don't mind the lack of oldies... I think the game has changed a lot since the days when a truly old person like Rudy Boesch or that bow tie wearing guy that won can make it to the end.  The challenges have gotten way more intense and the strategy has ramped up a lot as well.   I just don't think tribes are as likely to keep older people around.  So I'm not surprised that we now have two seasons in a row where being in your 40s makes you the "old people".

7 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

And I'm really liking this Don.  I'm a sucker for the "people finding strength they didn't know they had" storylines so I hope he goes far.  

I liked it with Cirie, but to me it's about how it is presented.  There was an Asian girl last year that was pretty much afraid of everything and told everyone so.  She got voted out and said she was proud of herself for trying.  Pfffttt.  Trying would have been sucking up and doing stuff rather than telling everyone you're scared.  

I would have way more respect for Donathan if he had stepped up immediately when he saw that James was floundering.  Instead his tribe had to nag him and egg him on many times before he finally did.  

And I couldn't care less about his "I'm a gay man in Eastern Kentucky finally escaping coal country and meeting my first black person and exotic Asian" storyline.  If he really wanted to see more of the world couldn't he have just gotten in his car and driven to Knoxville, Atlanta, Charlotte or Cincinnati?  

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I think that Brendan (high school teacher / coach) looks like he's in his 40s.  So does Dominick, Chris' antagonist.  And I want to say there's at least one nameless woman on the purple tribe that looks 40ish.

Brendan is 40, Domenick is 38, and Angela is 42. So they are not middleaged, by most people's reasoning. YMMV.

Last season we had two women in their late 40s; and one of them, Chrissy Hofbeck, at the ancient age of 46 was in the final three.

It wasn't that long ago we had Debbie (49); with Joe (72) and Tai (51) going quite far in that season. It used to be standard to have a smattering of 50 year olds. I just prefer a more mixed and interesting cast - but it's great you enjoy the younger and more vacuous ones.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

I just registered just so that I could quote this and say it made me snort out loud!

Stephanie (the yoga instructor who compared herself to Beauty while saying that Jacob was the beast) needs to quit tossing her nasty looking hair around during Tribal Council.   I wanted to shout through the screen "honey, you ain't all that so get over yourself".    Also, she looked like a rather bizarre fugly unicorn when she twisted her hair up into a bun almost placed on her forehead.   

And whoever said this was mainly an unattractive cast, yes.    

Actually it was Jocob who called them the Beauty and Beast alliance.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Because the other Stephanie has the same last name (Johnson) as Laurel on her tribe.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Ironically, just like the OG Game Changers legacy advantage, with Jacob in the Sierra role, and Stephanie in the Sarah role.

OH YES. This will be in the "People who didn't learn from their predecessors' mistakes" montage at the reunion show. It was his other terrible play that got him targeted, not necessarily that move specifically, but it's such egg-on-the-face, especially for a self-proclaimed Superfan.

I appreciated it when Jacob mouthed off to get himself targeted for Exile Ghost Island; I lost all respect for him when he announced that he had done it. And then his lie about the idol was so damn clumsy. And THEN his word-vomit confession of all his lies to Stephanie made redemption impossible. I hate when they cast this kind of "Superfan."  

Here's the story I choose to tell myself regarding James: He was the only one who was willing to pair up with Donathan and his universally perceived weakness. Even if he wasn't the strongest swimmer, he figured he had to be more competent than Donathan. Turns out he wasn't as good as everyone (including himself) assumed he would be, and Donathan (at least after a bunch of rest) wasn't as bad as everyone (including himself) assumed he would be. The fact that James is pretty much the embodiment of my total fantasy beefcake babe has nothing to do with my willingness to give him the benefit of the doubt. I also think/wish that Donathan had given it a shot sooner.

Brendan immediately struck me as an Andrew Savage/Brad Culpepper type. I freely admit my prejudice on this matter and I hope I'm wrong.

I entertain the possibility that Gonzalez volunteered to go by her last name, or TPTB wanted her to, to emphasize that she is Latina. I hate to see my people bounced first, but that TC stunt was unforgivable. If you can't poker face at the very first TC, you're too much of a loose cannon to have around.

• Love 12
(edited)

Decent first episode, but I've already forgotten most of it. It seemed like a lot of inept flailing, but in an entertaining way. Mostly I'm struck by how so many of the Malolo tribe look almost like someone famous.

Jacob, obviously: almost Seth Rogan
Jenna: almost Ivanka Trump
Donathan: almost Kenneth Parcell
Brendan: almost Mike Flynn
Laurel: almost Maya Rudolph

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 6

I will say for back to back episodes some people still didn’t get a confessional. I don’t think we heard anything from Chelsea, Angela, Bradley, Laurel, Libby, Jenna or Kellyn. I could be wrong on one or two. In fact, Bradley has glasses on in all of his pre game photos that I didn’t recognize him in the actual game. That said, I was glad to see 2 hours of Survivor on the first night. It’s a little more fleshed out. Although, there was a lot of explaining going on from Jeff. I was sort of lost during his instructions of the first Immunity Challenge. Then he had to explain Ghost Island ? which is understandable. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

He had to say he got something from Ghost Island because the next person who went there would know that he came back with something.

I thought he should have told them about having to choose which log to find the key in, but should have lied and said he chose the wrong one.  

• Love 10

I'm not as annoyed as I thought I would be with Ghost Island. Really hope that continues because I really want to enjoy Survivor again. It's been a long time since I've watched without playing on my phone and only half watching after a few episodes. 

Add me to the list of viewers who would be lost without Donathan's subtitles, and it has nothing to do with his accent. And seriously, he actually bragged about his first Survivor fire. Which was literally created by using an existing fire in an urn! I just can't get on board with that nonsense. 

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, AUJulia said:

Jeff did say "it's YOUR tribal" when Gonzo got up to whisper. And I think the difference that will keep them from being allowed to talk between camp and tribal is that the camera and audio people are able to pick up the whispered words at tribal whereas possibly they would not be able to do that during transit. 

That said, the tribal whispering was bound to happen eventually and it obviously can backfire so it doesn't bother me. More strategy. 

It not only doesn't bother me but I absolutely LOVE it.  Nothing got changed at this one but often changes can happen.  And I love the raw feel of in the moment throwing a wrench into a per-planned bore of a vote.  This has become my most favorite part of Survivor ever.  Wish they has started this tribal panic speak way back in Season 1.

The endearing David is Donathan.  Yes, the editing was heavy.  Yes Probst laid it on heavy too at the challenge but that isn't Donathan's fault.  He seems a gentle and sweet guy and I love he wants to explore a greater world.

Stephanie is a player.  If she can hide that player part well enough early on until she has a firm alliance in tow, she could go far.  Maybe have a male meat-shield positioned in place as a "threat" to take the first strike back from the opposition. 

James told everyone he was an athlete and he was a sprinter in college.  But apparently he wasn't on the dive team, heh.  I don't know if he just choked period or he swallowed a little water first that sent him into panic mode but he couldn't stop hyperventilating.  It was a full on panic attack at the end.

Don't like Chris at all.  Self-absorbed idiot.  Took him one second to declare himself the leader and overlord of the Lavenders.  Then Sea Bass bonds with him and is guilty by association.  He deserves his new "fishy" nickname as a result.

Had a hope from the editing that Dom would take Mr Male Model out but then Dom made that stupid mistake.  Maybe Dom should let Wendell take charge. Anyone who is smart enough to give up being a dime-a-dozen overcharging lawyer to do something positive in life instead like build their own furniture is one smart dude in my book and Dom is lucky that Wendell likes him.

My favorites so far are Donathan, Stephanie, Wendell and Dom then.  Don't think Donathan stands a chance in the game but hope some how some way he can make it as far as the jury.  Who I think will win at the end of the premier then is either Stephanie or Wendell.  But that all will change next week no doubt.

Edited by green
  • Love 8

Dear Jacob:

I am a very trustworthy person who just wants to help you with whatever ridiculous scheme seems like a good idea at the time. As proof of this, I am now pointing my boobies toward you. Please send me your social security number, mother's maiden name, ATM access code, and whatever random money, jewelry, and vehicles you have immediate access to.

You can totally trust me. For real.

Love, 

XOXOXO

CletusMusashi

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, green said:

It not only doesn't bother me but I absolutely LOVE it.  Nothing got changed at this one but often changes can happen.  And I love the raw feel of in the moment throwing a wrench into a per-planned bore of a vote.  This has become my most favorite part of Survivor ever.  Wish they has started this tribal panic speak way back in Season 1.

The endearing David is Donathan.  Yes, the editing was heavy.  Yes Probst laid it on heavy too at the challenge but that isn't Donathan's fault.  He seems a gentle and sweet guy and I love he wants to explore a greater world.

Stephanie is a player.  If she can hide that player part well enough early on until she has a firm alliance in tow, she could go far.  Maybe have a male meat-shield positioned in place as a "threat" to take the first strike back from the opposition. 

James told everyone he was an athlete and he was a sprinter in college.  But apparently he wasn't on the dive team, heh.  I don't know if he just choked period or he swallowed a little water first that sent him into panic mode but he couldn't stop hyperventilating.  It was a full on panic attack at the end.

Don't like Chris at all.  Self-absorbed idiot.  Took him one second to declare himself the leader and overlord of the Lavenders.  Then Sea Bass bonds with him and is guilty by association.  He deserves his new "fishy" nickname as a result.

Had a hope from the editing that Dom would take Mr Male Model out but then Dom made that stupid mistake.  Maybe Dom should let Wendell take charge. Anyone who is smart enough to give up being a dime-a-dozen overcharging lawyer to do something positive in life instead like build their own furniture is one smart dude in my book and Dom is lucky that Wendell likes him.

My favorites so far are Donathan, Stephanie, Wendell and Dom then.  Don't think Donathan stands a chance in the game but hope some how some way he can make it as far as the jury.  Who I think will win at the end of the premier then is either Stephanie or Wendell.  But that all will change next week no doubt.

Mind meld

• Love 1
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

I liked it with Cirie, but to me it's about how it is presented.  There was an Asian girl last year that was pretty much afraid of everything and told everyone so.  She got voted out and said she was proud of herself for trying.  Pfffttt.  Trying would have been sucking up and doing stuff rather than telling everyone you're scared.  

I would have way more respect for Donathan if he had stepped up immediately when he saw that James was floundering.  Instead his tribe had to nag him and egg him on many times before he finally did.  

And I couldn't care less about his "I'm a gay man in Eastern Kentucky finally escaping coal country and meeting my first black person and exotic Asian" storyline.  If he really wanted to see more of the world couldn't he have just gotten in his car and driven to Knoxville, Atlanta, Charlotte or Cincinnati?  

Maybe not. He seems dirt-poor to me. 

• Love 5

I don't think it mattered much what Jacob did when he came back from Ghost Island.  He had already placed the target on his back in three ways: 1) not doing well at the challenges, 2) obviously hunting for the idol, and 3) showing everyone how clever he was to get himself sent to GI.  He stood out, in all the wrong ways, and his tribemates pretty well decided they would boot him.  Without a real idol, he was doomed.

Gonzalez, like Jacob, in large part self-evicted.  It keeps amazing me that so many contestants over-play, run off their mouths, and do things that turn their tribes against them.  

Steph showed how manipulative she is.  If she can operate from the background, and not raise alarm bells, I think she could go far.  Those are big 'ifs' to maintain over the entire season, as Zeke and many others have shown. 

I wonder if Donathan is more calculating than he seems?  He made it past first tribal, where after the IC he was the overwhelming favorite to get booted.  Everyone seems to sympathize with him, even the other tribe.  And now he's treated like a hero for diving a little underwater.  Very good survival skills, both in this game and perhaps in life as well. 

Seems like the youngest cast I recall.  Is anyone over 40, much less 50? 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 2/28/2018 at 9:04 PM, Wings said:

Funny.  Deciding who to vote out Donathan or Gonzales Stephanie says Donathan is small if we need to stuff someone into anything! 

Donathan is a gay man with a (possible) speech impediment who presumably went to a high school in East Kentucky; just tell him whatever small space you need him in is a locker, and he’d probably squeeze into it automatically.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:14 PM, Lantern7 said:

Also funny to see Jacob and the girl he gifted thrill about touching something from Survivor history.

I kept remembering an old joke, and wondering if that pouch would turn into a briefcase if they kept rubbing it....  ;>

On 2/28/2018 at 9:22 PM, ghoulina said:

James said he'd been "an athlete" for many years. I'm not sure exactly what his problem was, but maybe he assured his tribe he could do it? 

James may have thought he could, until he couldn’t.  I assist on a couple of scuba classes, beginner and advanced.  In the beginner class you’d be surprised at the number of people who have exactly zero comprehension they have a water-related phobia, right up to the moment the water line hits their upper lip.  SOME find the realization so jarring they can’t overcome it, and end up dropping out.  James may be one of these.

It’s not necessarily that weird; when you think about it, how often in real life is it an issue?  

On 2/28/2018 at 9:57 PM, Eolivet said:

I don't mind if Michael lies about his age, but his job caption says he's a real estate agent. So, is he actually an 18 year-old real estate agent? Or is that his fake job to go with his fake age?

Depends - does Monopoly count?

On 2/28/2018 at 10:01 PM, jumper sage said:

How are people who can't swim on Survivor?

Asked my wife the exact same question.  Haven’t they seen the show before?

On 2/28/2018 at 10:01 PM, ByaNose said:

Male Model:

94B85848-AA9A-46B7-8656-298ECFDEE6DA.png

BLUE STEEL!  Or is that MAGNUM! ?   ;)

On 2/28/2018 at 10:49 PM, TVFan1 said:

Glad Gonzalez got booted. Same with Jacob, he was very annoying and quite stupid.

Echo, and echo.  

• Gonzo was prof positive why you don’t pick your favorites from the bios; on paper she was a Survivor dream come true, but in reality she was a rocket sled going 500mph into a canyon wall.
  • Jacob suffers from Smartest Person In the Room Syndrome; he thinks he’s a genius, but he has a desperate need for everyone else to think it, too.  Problem is, Jacob really isn’t that good at Survivor - he played the whole fake idol thing 180 degrees backwards.  Better plan would be to deny winning anything, then let someone “accidentally” see the fake.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:58 PM, Silver Raven said:

Do they really think they need subtitles for Donathan?  I'm offended, and I'm not even Southern.

I am, and I am - a little.  More below.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:34 PM, methadonna said:

Also, why did Domenick go through all that effort with his Build Yer Own Idol Kit “to build trust with (brodude, whose name I also forgot. I’m just gonna call everyone whose name I forgot “Xonathan), which he played out exactly as he would with a real idol, WHICH HE HAS?

Uhhh, maybe so if things go south with Chris (brodude), Dom can give Chris his (fake) idol as a sign of “trust” - then laugh his ass off at Chris’ expression at TC when Peachy pitches it in the fire.  ;>

20 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I would need them! And I lived in various parts of the south for 11 years.  It wasn't just the accent. He was kind of mealy mouthed. 

You’re correct; it’s way beyond just the accent - but IMHO it’s more than simple mealy-mouthedness; Donathan seemed to have significant issues with sibilants, and some of his tonals are just plain weird and semi-echoey.  I was wondering if maybe Donathan had dealt with something like a cleft palate kind of issue well into his formative years.  

16 hours ago, AUJulia said:

Naw, she acted toxic. 

Bingo.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:02 PM, DakotaLavender said:

Is Jacob really Seth Rogan? 

I was thinking Bob Ross myself.  So much for happy trees.

AC8E3D4C-437B-406F-9BCA-65574C626EF8.jpeg

EAC1835C-642C-45E5-AF68-0F362F864AFE.jpeg

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 19

Just going on record that I had more trouble understanding Sea Bass and Jacob than Donathan, whose dialect doesn't stump me. (I guess I'll be listening for a speech impediment next week.) No offense, but being worldly also includes not thinking everyone needs to talk like they're from the west coast. 

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Laurel: almost Maya Rudolph

It was uncanny. I kept expecting her to say something funny.

5 hours ago, kikaha said:

It keeps amazing me that so many contestants over-play, run off their mouths, and do things that turn their tribes against them.  

And on the first day!  I couldn't believe it, when Domenick thought it would be smart to voice his negative opinion  about Christian's decision to fold the challenge.  Then he pulled out one of my pet peeves, making other people feel bad in the interests of "being honest."

94B85848-AA9A-46B7-8656-298ECFDEE6DA.png"If I concentrate I can make my ears stick out."

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 7
(edited)
16 hours ago, blackwing said:

On the orange tribe, it says a lot about the editing that I know who all the men are but I have absolutely no idea who Jenna or Libby are.

YES!  Deseree was a boss with those basketballs and people still don't know her name.  Yet we get Probst, "oh come on Donathan, you can do it, don't quit, pretty please, just try it, there you go, see you did it, aren't you a hero"  I guess if Donathan had thrown the basketballs there would be fireworks or something.  Def on team Deseriee, maybe shell pair up with my other pick (unseen tho) Angela.  

15 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't mind the lack of oldies... I think the game has changed a lot since the days when a truly old person like Rudy Boesch or that bow tie wearing guy that won can make it to the end.  The challenges have gotten way more intense and the strategy has ramped up a lot as well.   I just don't think tribes are as likely to keep older people around.  So I'm not surprised that we now have two seasons in a row where being in your 40s makes you the "old people".

Young people are just all "I think I'm xyz" but they have no life experiences to back anything up.  Its all talk.  And they tend to be overeager, overconfident, emotional.   Older peopleeven slightly older (26?)  make for a more interesting game, more interesting characters.  I don't even watch the challenges that closely, I'm not watching Survivor to see who is fit, I could care less how intense or not intense the challenges are.  In fact I like the memory challenges, matching pairs of things, the aiming challenges with massive slingshots etc. much more than the brute strength challenges (did anyone else wonder if the sled thing was rigged?  Was the yellow sled heavier?).  I get up and refresh my drink, check my phone during challenges.  

I'm not sticking up for Jacob per se,, I'm just saying that whatever lie he told, he had to include hitting the urn thingies etc. because that info could come back anytime someone else went.  Regardless everyone would ask for a note no matter what his story (it almost looked like Donathan burned his?).  So he could show them the real note and let the whole cat out of the bag, or he could lie - in which case the lack of a note was always going to bite him in the ass.   Since he knew he was going home pretty much no matter what next time the idol thing was a hail mary pass.  A poor one yes, poorly executed, but I get his desperate reasoning.  I suppose he could have just accepted going home.  

What I don't understand is why he got so much air time.  I truly think this was castings answer to Jeffs requirement for "get me another Cochran".  

I looked up Donathan's home town and current town online.  Yea wow, out in the middle of nowhere.  There's like 1000 people for miles  it looks like.  His "home town" isn't even a town, its a census designated area, wiki didn't even give a population.  2 lines.  Kimper, another area with a post office a little over a thousand people.  If you haven't gotten lost out there like I did once, a long lost trip through West Virginia, you don't realize how there just isn't anything out there.  A little over 2 hours to the closest town of any size, Charleston West Virginia.  Run that 2 hours blue line on google maps around in a circle and nothing.   I just read his bio, his grandmother had no power or plumbing till 1975.  Whole family lives below the poverty line.  Yea, I'm on team Donathan.   

I can understand him fine.  I was surprised Jacob got as much screen time as he did as an early boot.  Why is Donathan getting so much screen time?

Stephanie is so far a good player, if she can keep her superior attitude about it under wraps that may work for her.  Her facial expressions at tribal when her under the radar alliance takes the game are very smug.  I would have expected, and would have liked, to see more of her alliance and vote machinations with the other tribe mates.   I'm not sure I like her but her bio is impressive.  Much more than a yoga instructor. 

As for the question how Ghost Island will play after the merge - I wonder if you can figure out whether it will change up some by the number of urn thingies left.  I didn't count the urns  nor do I know how many total challenges are left?  18 people left - 4 at the final I guess = 14.  So 14 more challenges.  I don't think there were that many urn thingies left?  I didn't DVR so I can't count.  Merge is usually at 11-13 people so say 6 more challenges? I think there were more urns than that.  Ok so that didn't work.  

People who step up as leaders on Survivor usually have a tough time.  Leading is a really really hard thing.  People who can think they can lead (and there are soooo many), aren't as good as it as they think.  Once in great awhile you run into a natural born leader.  I'm not saying Chris is one but I was actually impressed by the way he stepped up, mostly because I thought he had great follow through and seemed pretty cool during it.  If he has even a bit of natural born leader, he is someone to watch.  We actually didnt get to see much of him after so I don't think there is anyway to tell yet.  If he is actually a good leader and a bit of an asshole I'll be more forgiving.  Its the people who think they are great leaders and assholes that I can't stand.  I'm interested in seeing how he does.  So far I think he is doing well. 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 9
(edited)

I’m not sure about the “ghost whispering” being used as musical background this season. When it played during the return from TC, I thought it was one of the players whispering and turned on closed captioning to try to figure out what was being said. 

Edited by valandsend
  • Love 1

I first thought Gonzales was using another finger, then realized the censors would never let that through. So, was she signifying that she truly was “sad,” or maybe this was a case where she thought the middle finger was too good for these people?

0AF91FDC-D1DC-46EA-BD17-8E8ED046107E.jpeg

• Love 3

Why I suck at being a Survivor fan:  I was sad to see Jacob go.  He seemed way too socially awkward / socially inept for me to consider him annoying, much less any kind of threat.  Besides, I have a tendency to dislike "pretty people" who use terms like "physical strength" in a way that makes you think what they really mean is "not as cool as us".   Nothing in Jacob said "contender" but I wish he'd been able to stay just a little longer - his absolute joy over the entire experience seemed genuine.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I couldn't believe it, when Domenick thought it would be smart to voice his negative opinion  about Christian's decision to fold the challenge.  Then he pulled out one of my pet peeves, making other people feel bad in the interests of "being honest."

Oh, yeah; I call total bullshit on Dom’s callout of Chris at the first comp, for a few reasons:

1. The “bosses” Brendan and Chris had a MUCH better notion of individual puzzle progress than any of the nonparticipating contestants; they were much closer, they had a significantly better angle of view on BOTH puzzles, and their view wasn’t obstructed by the player working the puzzle.
  2. Now, this point of mine may have been totally affected by how the comp scene was put together in the editing room - but judging from the particular way it appeared to me some puzzle piece edge pairs were repetitively NOT matching up, it looked for all the world like Desiree had effectively returned her puzzle to its starting position right up to about 10-15 seconds before the sand ran out.  I’d even commented on it to my wife several seconds before Chris busted his team’s puzzle, because Desiree didn’t appear to have made ANY progress.
  3. Purely a reflection of my own life experiences - but in my book, the person who loudly proclaims themselves to be a singular truth-teller has already immediately outed themselves as the biggest liar of the bunch.

FF54996B-AAB5-4B22-831B-969EEBA1E841.png.e2db8893d55d9ba7b7be07195733b656.png  “Does anybody else hear Sweden?  I hear Sweden.”

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I will say for back to back episodes some people still didn’t get a confessional. I don’t think we heard anything from Chelsea, Angela, Bradley, Laurel, Libby, Jenna or Kellyn. I could be wrong on one or two. In fact, Bradley has glasses on in all of his pre game photos that I didn’t recognize him in the actual game. That said, I was glad to see 2 hours of Survivor on the first night. It’s a little more fleshed out. Although, there was a lot of explaining going on from Jeff. I was sort of lost during his instructions of the first Immunity Challenge. Then he had to explain Ghost Island ? which is understandable. 

Kellyn had a confessional, I think.  She was labelled a 'career counselor' and talked about deciding she wanted a life change and divorcing and going to grad school.  I liked her.  She reminded me a bit of Sophie, whom I also liked.  

Stephanie Johnson blogs and has a book under the name Stephanie Rae.  She mentioned on her social media something about the show messing up her name.  I'm guessing she would've preferred to play as Stephanie Rae.  Her 'book' is only 79 pages, about her hiking Vietnam or something, and just released in the last few weeks and appears self-published.  

Survivor probably liked the idea of having a potential tough Latina going by Gonzales, like it's Orange Is The New Black out there.  

(edited)

A few observations:

• I do want to like Donathan, but he feels forced. Although I understand where he's coming from, I didn't like how he referred to James and Laurel as "exotics". And his "hero narrative" was ridiculous to say the least, since he didn't even bother to try. James was at least there.
  • I think it was kind of interesting how Jacob ended up having a similar fate to Sierra in Game Changers. He did tell Stephanie about the advantage and she took advantage of that and voted him out. Probst probably loved that, narrative-wise.
  • Kellyn had interesting confessionals. It seems they're setting up a narrative with her. I'm betting she'll be one of the standouts of the season. (And she kind of looks like an young Kass)
  • Apparently they're setting up a narrative of rivalry between Domenick and Chris.
  • I think it'd be more interesting if the idol that Domenick found only had power if he had to tell someone he trusts.
  • Overall I liked this cast more than I did HvHvH. There are some pretty interesting "characters" and "arcs" in play.

P.S.: I hope to god that the amount of Idols and advantages don't ruin the game. I hated what happened to Cirie in Game Changers.

Edited by planet17
  • Love 1

On the celeb/Survivor look-likes we mentioned the following:

Jacob:  Bob Ross, Seth Rogan.  (I was thinking how one of the cast told one interviewer they had a Richard Simmons looking guy out there, too.  Heh.)

Gonzales:  Ana Ortiz

Steph J:  Shirin, Corinne

Libby:  Andrea Boehlke

Wendell:  Donald Glover

James reminds me a little bit of Yul, I think, more in that intense look than his actual face, but his super deep lip cleft kind of creeps me out.  

4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

It was uncanny. I kept expecting her to say something funny.

And on the first day!  I couldn't believe it, when Domenick thought it would be smart to voice his negative opinion  about Christian's decision to fold the challenge.  Then he pulled out one of my pet peeves, making other people feel bad in the interests of "being honest."

94B85848-AA9A-46B7-8656-298ECFDEE6DA.png"If I concentrate I can make my ears stick out."

Chris and Michael are models. I wonder who is more successful? I think Chris has the height for modeling on the runway. Michael seems short on the model scale that is. That said, I know nothing about modeling. I knew the (female) models names in the 80's & 90's but now I don't know or care about them. I'm 53 and old. LOL!!!

• Love 2