Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E01: Can You Reverse the Curse?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, methadonna said:

Because, I don’t think it’s right* to snark some poor soul for their parents’ need to destroy their child’s future and/or the English language with made-up names and kre8if spellings.

I kid you not the name stuff is getting worse and it is all types of parents.  Detroit area here and I had a kid in my group named Qu'eaeth'lein Mea'erie (insert typical Irish last name) Her name was Kathleen Mary (Irish last name) for fuck sake.

5 minutes ago, djlynch said:

I thought I saw a bunch of Donathan's tribemates waving him in when he went past the buoys without even trying, and it wasn't just his decision to give up. I think they assumed that James was going to get them quickly and he would slow them down while he swam to the platform.

I thought I saw that too and it wasn't until James tried to get him to try and Probst goaded him did he hesitate forever and then try.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

Donathan is the only one I find even remotely likeable.

Same.  I went into this thinking it was a very unlikable cast, and my opinion didn't change from the premiere.  One of the few pre-season faves I did have (Gonzalez) was a nightmare.  Right now I'm rooting for Donathan, Des, and James.  

Re: “Donathan”: I’m choosing to believe that his name is really Donald Jonathan, and he decided to turn himself into his very own celebrity couple portmanteau. Because, I don’t think it’s right* to snark some poor soul for their parents’ need to destroy their child’s future and/or the English language with made-up names and kre8if spellings. But, if it was self-given? All bets are off.

I put this in another thread, but I wondered if it was a family name (maybe a combo of Donald and Jonathan that were relatives of his?) or a typo on his birth certificate and his family never bothered to change it.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Of course the guy I hate finds an idol.

Hm.  I liked Brendan, till he started throwing around words like "nerd".

Desiree is a boss.

Do they really think they need subtitles for Donathan?  I'm offended, and I'm not even Southern.

OMG, Stephanie needs to go before I reach through my screen and throttle her for that annoying vocal fry.

I wonder what these people are thinking now that they know that Jacob poured their rice into his dirty sock.

It’s funny when Brendan said the word Nerd I cringed. It’s not like he said a racial epithet. I just thought him being a dad and a coach he would be more sensitive to a “stereotype”. Again, it wasn’t totally horrible but a little insensitive considering his background. IMO! 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

I've read that production dictates the castaways' clothing.

At least this season it looks as though the women have been given the option of bikini  bottoms that cover them up.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Lessons learned: Don't be a woman asking people to use your last name, because that is a privilege for guys only.

Seriously?

• Love 4
(edited)

@Brookside . . . I wasn't that serious. Aside from the Kellys, I don't think any woman has gone in wanting to go by her last name. And I found it funny that the first one (aside from the Kellys) wound up going out first. I acknowledge that it was mostly her fault. I just figure that guys doing that don't go out that quickly.

Oh, and whispering in Tribal Council? Gettin' old. Can't that be forbidden until the jury phase?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, North of Eden said:

First up the most obvious question must be asked...did Jeff and the producers go knocking on the door of all those past SURVIVOR contestants and ask for all those original trinkets back? And did they have to get the records from the Glaser Foundation and track down all the stuff auctioned off and buy them back?

I’m thinking the Arts ‘n’ Props Department was just extra busy pre-season.

Which explains why they “forgot” all of those buckets of Fake-Idol-Making supplies they left laying around. 

But not why they cut into Story Time with Jeffy (this week on Stome Wiffy, “The Little Non-Alpha-Male-Jeffy-Plucked-From-Lessthanalphamaledom Who Could (After Jeffy Spoke It and So It Shall Be”)) time to make room in the episode for him to literally name the bench for whoever was sitting out “The Sit-Out Bench” and not have it pay off with (I forget who sat out on The Sit-Out Bench)’s either finding an idol there or comically spending all her time looking.

Isn’t that, like, Chekhov’s First Rule of Survivor Plotting? You don’t make the point of showing the naming of the previously-unnamed-area-for peeps-who-don’t-play in the first act unless you’re going to have it pop out idols in the third. Duh.

Also, why did Domenick go through all that effort with his Build Yer Own Idol Kit “to build trust with (brodude, whose name I also forgot. I’m just gonna call everyone whose name I forgot “Xonathan), which he played out exactly as he would with a real idol, WHICH HE HAS? Why not use that whole rig to “help” [Xonathan] into finding the fauxidol himself? Maybe claim he found a clue that suggested it would be in that general vicinity and he wanted them both to be able to look for it, “knowing whichever of us finds it will use it to help both of us” and ensure [Xenuthan] found it? Am I missing something totes obvs here?

24 minutes ago, Brookside said:

At least this season it looks as though the women have been given the option of bikini  bottoms that cover them up.

A true irony, given that they had to blur the vulva of one of the women as she flew down the slide ‘cause her bottoms went, well, up. 

Edited by methadonna
  • Love 7

I always have the CC on, but I actually had to read most of what Donathon said ! That accent is really hard to understand. And the name, I have to ask why ? Not that I'm blaming him, I blame his parents. I bet his whole life he's had to repeat and spell that name. "No, not JONathon !!" Of course, that's assuming the person could understand him in the first place. He does seem like a nice kid, though.

Don't think Dommenick ( I think, the one who found the idol in the dark) will last all that long. You have to be a weasel of Tony-level to play that hard & last, and I don't think he has it.

I must have been tuned out some, because I didn't see what was so bad about Gonzalez ? She acted out at tribal, yeah, but what about the rest of the time ? Maybe I missed it.

Didn't like Stephanie much, it was good game play but she totally bambozzeled poor Jacob and it was hardly a fair fight. Kind of like fishing with dynomite, Jacob was no match for her.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm happy with the first two boots.  It'll be interesting to see how the purple people shake out when under the pressure of impending TC. 

I don't know if I'll like Morgan or not, but stupid Jacob might have sunk her ship by telling Stephanie about the advantage.  This pisses me off for some reason.  It wasn't like she told him and he blabbed, she had no choice in receiving it.  But she said she has a big mouth herself so maybe it won't matter in the long run. 

Dominick finds an idol, doesn't want anybody to know he has it, then makes a fake idol so that Michael thinks he has an idol???  I think he was a little too excited to trick somebody and he couldn't wait for the right time.  I hope for his wife's sake he doesn't do everything so prematurely.  He should have made the fake, wrapped it in the paper, and held onto it in case it came in handy down the road.  He blew it.  

Whoever above that mentioned the amount of stupid game play in this episode alone is dead-on.  Lol  I am enjoying it so far! 

Edited by eskimo
typo
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

I liked Gonzalez until TC when the WTF'ery started. 

Ugh - "My name is Stephanie, but call me Gonzalez" bugged, but then she followed it with "They'll all think I'm such a girly girl" - not now they won't.  I was berating myself for those sexist thoughts until she got up to do the TC whispering, which is the "new Survivor thing" I hate most of all.  Then I just despised  her and told Mr. P that if they don't vote her off I will root for purple team forever!  And then when she was done being annoying she returned to her spot with a little curtsey.  (Insert frowny face "Shut up asshole" GIF here)

2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Find a hidden idol and lie about having it. Then make a fake idol, hide it with the real note and show it to the person you just lied to so that they think that you have an idol thereby hiding the fact that you have an idol? 

I kind of get this - if he can actually make the guy think he's giving it to him and then that dude embarrasses himself by feeling confident at tribal and then playing it!  That would be some fun TV!

1 hour ago, Paws said:

I really want to like Donathan but it’s not easy. He bought into Jeff’s whole “hero” narrative when  James was more of a hero. He at least stayed in the water and made multiple attempts and didn’t t need to be literally pushed into action. His body failed him not his willpower.   Meanwhile Donathan gets a hero edit and become super proud of himself for deciding that maybe he should go back after giving up.

I have a weakness for big old rednecks so I was Team Donathan for sure when the other vote option was "Gonzales".  But he pissed me off being such a baby about giving it a try.

Just now, willco said:

I always have the CC on, but I actually had to read most of what Donathon said ! That accent is really hard to understand. And the name, I have to ask why ? Not that I'm blaming him, I blame his parents. I bet his whole life he's had to repeat and spell that name. "No, not JONathon !!" Of course, that's assuming the person could understand him in the first place. 

People where he's from could understand him!  :). hee hee

• Love 6

I don't care for Donathan.  I get that he's sheltered and from Kentucky, but calling an Asian person "exotic"?  Plus I can't even understand what he is saying half the time.  There have been other people from Kentucky (Caleb, for one) that aren't this hard to understand.  Mostly I don't care for his attitude.  He sat on that raft and instantly refused to try to dive.  Without even trying first.

I can't stand Dom either.  Trying too hard to be the new Tony.

Michael is only 18?  Face and body don't look like 18.  He seems astute for 18.  Not sure why Jacob targeted him.

Happy with the first two boots.  Both tried way too hard.

• Love 10

I have watched this show since day one, first season. Rudy was in Richmond and at the same restaurant where I celebrated my birthday. Gave me a hug & kiss.

My DVR forgot to record this. There must be a higher power in charge.

• Love 6

Well, I didn't hate it.  I am the one Survivor fan in a hundred who loves Exile Island, and Ghost Island is just a tricked-out version, so of course I like it.  I always cherish a scenario that allows the Survivor production design department to go hog wild with tiki bar/Adventureland ambience.  I even like the snuffers and the old immunity idols and so on.

I'm sure I will hate them all soon enough, but I don't have the info to do so yet.  I can't say Gonzalez (guys....she probably asked to be called by her last name because there's another Stephanie) won me over with the "special" comment but she's gone now.  Jacob was reasonably funny as one of the most inept Survivor players I can recall, and lasted just long enough to not wear out his welcome.  He even helped Probst to manage a good one with his "Something's gotta change for the Best Tribe on Survivor!"  Stephanie is quite impressed with her own Survivor Superfandom and bamboozling Jacob was no great feat, but whatever, she's playing.  The "leader" of the orange tribe looks exactly like my housemate's vile boyfriend so I dislike him on that basis but even the big dumb bro dudes this season seem fairly astute; he may or may not have been right to say that the era of voting out the weak first is over, but it's nice to see a muscley dude not feel smugly safe at least.  Credit as well to Chris for not buying Dom's story, etc.  I didn't know who Morgan was when Jacob willed the legacy advantage to her, but when she was shown I thought Amanda Seyfried should play her in the movie.  Not only looks-wise but personality-wise too.  And I can't help but root for Donathan to have a good experience out there, un-woke as he may be.

(Can I say, as someone who grew up with a strange name, that little kids do not make fun of you for them?  That's not a thing that happens, because little kids do not know what names are weird.  They have literally no way to know.  Their only context for names is...the people in their class, and you are one of those people, so you are that context, and they accept your name exactly the same way they accept anybody else's.  Instead, it is the adults who make you feel bad, because they are always saying "I bet you hate your parents for that one, huh?" and talking about how the kids must make fun of you.  No, if you are concern trolling/shitting on someone's parents for a kid's name that you don't like because you're unfamiliar with it -- speaking of unwoke -- you are the problem and kind of a bigoted, conservative jerk.  And yes go ahead and mod me.)

My favorite thing about this episode is that there was not the slightest mention of Jeff Probst's little Chores List that he was so proud of (I'm guessing he got the idea from the Berenstain Bears) which I presume means that it had no bearing whatsoever on the game, and thank the Survivor Ghosts for that.  I hope you guys are excited that they have half the rice they usually get and we will be able to enjoy them staggering around in a dull stupor of hunger, like you're always asking for?

5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

My husband has already suggested a season based on all the awful decisions made in this one episode.

Love this so much.

5 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Hey, the gamebot was the second boot! That never happens (or not recently, anyway).

Jacob, a gamebot???  He was the least chill dude ever and couldn't have been more transparent with his emotions...

4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Do they really think they need subtitles for Donathan?  I'm offended, and I'm not even Southern.

OMG, Stephanie needs to go before I reach through my screen and throttle her for that annoying vocal fry.

I found these two statements a fascinating juxtoposition, I must say.

• Love 9
(edited)

I wonder if Jacob still thinks that was the greatest tribe that ever existed on the show? Probably not, I'm guessing.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
51 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Can I say, as someone who grew up with a strange name, that little kids do not make fun of you for them? 

Oh how I wish that were true.  Unfortunately when little kids find out that “Maria” rhymes with “diarrhea”, all bets are off.  And I wouldn’t think Maria is a strange name.  (Also, older kids discovered that it also rhymes with “gonorrhea” and kids of all ages are terrible people).

And speaking of Donathan, I was so afraid that Jeff was going to make a Cirie moment out of him diving and...he did.

Peachy may be annoying sometimes, but I appreciate his consistency.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Oh how I wish that were true.  Unfortunately when little kids find out that “Maria” rhymes with “diarrhea”, all bets are off.  And I wouldn’t think Maria is a strange name.  (Also, older kids discovered that it also rhymes with “gonorrhea” and kids of all ages are terrible people).

That's exactly my point.  It's not unusual.  No grown-up will ever say "Maria, hahaha, what a crazy name, you must hate your parents".  Kids named John get called John John the Leprechaun, went to school with nothing on...the "normalcy" (to a certain white bourgeois audience) of a name doesn't have anything to do with getting teased as a kid, except by concern-trolling parents and teachers etc who just can't let you live with your name but have to project their discomfort with it onto "the kids". 

• Love 4

This isn't a new rule, but we may have new posters, so I am restating it here:

There is NO preview talk in the episode threads.  While not hard-core spoilers, previews contain information for the next episode that many of our posters avoid purposely.  To then accidentally read about the preview in the episode thread ruins the experience for them.  All posts that mention the previews will be removed  

We have a separate thread for Previews and (non-spoiler) Speculation.   Please take all preview talk there.  

PTV is a great site where the posters (mostly) respect each other.  Let's please keep it that way. 

Thanks and happy posting!!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I kid you not the name stuff is getting worse and it is all types of parents.  Detroit area here and I had a kid in my group named Qu'eaeth'lein Mea'erie (insert typical Irish last name) Her name was Kathleen Mary (Irish last name) for fuck sake.

Hilarious. This trumps all the crazy names on my list and I have some good ones!

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked Gonzalez and thought they should have voted off Donathan, who is a very weak link.

But, I think she did herself no favors with her whispering campaign at TC.  In only reinforced that she was an aggressive player, who could be a threat and would be difficult to control.  

I don't know if it would have made any difference, but I think she should have just made her case that they needed her for challenges and let the chips fall where they may.

I also think going by her last name might have hurt her.  It tends to make you seem like a player or at least someone who thinks she is a player.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Donathan is the only one I find even remotely likeable.

I might be the only one, but, while he seems like a nice guy I find him extremely annoying.

I also thought treating him as a "hero" for FINALLY trying to dive and release the buoys after sitting on the dock for who knows how long allowing the other tribe to build an insurmountable lead, was ridiculous.

He was the goat of the challenge.  At least James TRIED.  If Donathan had not wasted so much time whimpering that he can't do it, his tribe might have won.

I generally like nerdy misfit types, but Donathan's lack of effort really turned me off.

• Love 16

I felt like this group had a bit more of a fun and interesting vibe than last season-- for me it wouldn't take much to exceed last season, though.  Anyway I feel hopeful that this crew might change things up a bit more and keep things rolling.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Will someone tell me what happened? I couldn't watch because I was blinded by all the white teeth! 
Just joking but seriously, when they first hit the beach there were a lot of really really white teeth. I know they 
are young but are their teeth really that white naturally? I'm thinking not but IDK. 

While seeming sort of arrogant in general I do think Chris made the right choice to default on that first challenge 
That chick was in no way getting that puzzle all she was doing was moving pieces around as fast as she could. She didn't have a clue.  Better to get something if the other tribe is going to win anyway.  And that Dominick guy calling it out? Jerk move whether its survivor or not oh and he was wrong. Everyone has fire by the 2nd or 3rd challenge and 20 eggs is not such a big deal. Fishing is. 

Thought it was pretty good overall. Its like production came up with small twists that made things interesting vs. 
these big game changing flops. Like the sand timer on the first challenge, that ramped up the adreline without 
seeming to gamey/big idea. 

That swimming challenge - did someone make the choice to send out there 2 weakest swimmers at the same time?  I'm guessing they looked at James and said "He's buff" and assumed that meant he could swim.  You know, those buff guys can do everything and are the most important thing for challenges.  They've been there about 6 days at that point, surely they've had time to discuss peoples strengths and weakness, like who can swim and who can't. And, Donathan?, you have a beach, you know there are going to be swimming challenges - go practice!  Agree that it was weird that Donathan was just, nope I'm not doing that, don't think I can.  I think he was glad to be off the hook for failing at a challenge or something?  I didn't like it nor do I like the hero culture that has pervaded America.  

Ghost Island seems ok  although I was surprised Donathan didn't get anything at all. I mean whats the point of that?  He did have an amazing amount of rice to eat though.  

These guys seem a little more....survivor judgemental because they are survivor fans? Like - oh no so and so is playing to hard for this early in the game. You are't supposed to do that. Its not a rule. If they are playing to hard I guess they are playing to hard, but if they are playing badly you can work that to your advantage maybe. Although in this case Gonzalez seemed very head strong and a loose cannon so I think it was the right move. 
But I sensed a sort of how - this is how the game is supposed to be played thing going on - like they are watching the game while playing the game. IDK, just changed some of the decision dynamics a little I think.   And fake idols everywhere!  So I guess we get to watch superfans pull out their favorite moves.  

Jacob seemed so Cochran like I felt sure he was going to pull it out and stick around but they got him. Guess he didn't play up his nerdiness enough for Jeff to fall in love with him. I realize he put a tgt on his back idol looking but seriously what are you supposed to do? You know your on the block anyway. 
Black curly long haired woman calling the shots Stephanie?  - shades of Parvati. She is someone to watch but her manipulations may put a target on her back. 
Gonzalez - well she seemed sort of arrogant and I think that was her downfall. 
Dominick - he seems aware that he might not have the personality to go head to head against Chris. Modifying your personality is really hard, be interesting to see if he can do it. Got an idol though. Not sure that fake idol is going to fool Chris though and its going to make everyone else think you are shady. 
Chris seems like someone to watch. 
Donathan - I was prepared to dislike him but I like him a lot. He's had quite the isolated life and this must be extremely overwhelming, big disadvantage.  He seems very earnest and hopeful and sweet. Felt so bad he didn't get anything on Ghost Island. I mean, even if you get voted out you want a full experience right? 
I'm a little confused by all blond women - was trying to keep and eye for Angela who I'm rooting for based on her bio and not sure she had a speaking part?
Real Estate kid probably just got his license out of high school and probably hasn't sold a property yet. I can see why he wouldn't want to be labeled the youngest.
Sea Bass - we are going to call you Sea Bass. Serioiusly? 

Yea I'm not watching to watch a bunch of whispering at Tribal. They need to do something about that.

Fast two hours, didn't see anyone start a fire or fish or anything. 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 2

I'm liking the new season so far and even know some people by name already.  Stephanie seems smart and savvy.  She did well playing up to Jacob and winnowing all his secrets.  In fact she was so convincing she had Brendan scared at TC.  Donathan-- interesting name, interesting character.  His diving for the balls endeared him momentarily with this tribe, but his Gomer Pyle routine may start to bug them soon.  Jacob tried too hard too quickly and got himself voted out.  Dominick seems like Tony 3.0 (complete with idol finding ability) but dialed it back in the second hour, but like Jacob he's playing too hard and painting a target on his back.  Desiree should have rethought her choice of swimsuit.  The pixilation editors are going to be working overtime.  Great job with the basketballs though.  (The other ones.)  Seabass, Chris, Michael = meathead.  James, oh James.  You have to try harder, hon.  I could almost guarantee Donathan had never been in the ocean before yet he overcame his fears.

9 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Will they ever learn to keep their mouths shut?    

Seriously.  Any superfan should know this.  So much for reversing previous bad choices, Jacob and Dom.

I'll be waiting for one of the tribemates to comment that the rice tastes like feet.

• Love 8
(edited)
15 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Ironically, just like the OG Game Changers legacy advantage, with Jacob in the Sierra role, and Stephanie in the Sarah role.

I don't mind if Michael lies about his age, but his job caption says he's a real estate agent. So, is he actually an 18 year-old real estate agent? Or is that his fake job to go with his fake age?

Hey, the gamebot was the second boot! That never happens (or not recently, anyway).

Maybe they should caption Michael as "Real Estate Agent?" with a question mark the way they did with Phil the "Federal Agent?".

I think Michael is very smart to lie about his age.  I agree with him that if they knew he was 18 it would hurt him.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 8
(edited)

I don't like Donothan, I know I'm supposed to according to the edit, but I don't.  He was at fault for not trying earlier in the challenge and I don't care about whatever 'growth' storyline they want to build up about him.  I would have preferred the other one staying as she looked like she was ready to play at least, while Donathan (hate the name even, Americans get a bit too creative with names sometimes) is just someone who's a goat to take to the end.

The second elimination was quite predictable once we found out he only got the inheritance advantage.  Looks like we are about to have loads of video flashbacks to earlier seasons which is annoying. 

The battle between Chris and Dominick was by far the best part of the episodes, Dominick going by the maxim keep your enemies close.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Wings said:

Funny.  Deciding who to vote out Donathan or Gonzales Stephanie says Donathan is small if we need to stuff someone into anything! 

I suspect she's been shoving people into lockers since middle school.

If Donathon really is the only gay in his village, I wonder if we'll get an uncomfortable virgin storyline like last season's Jessica [who was also from Kentucky!]

Speaking of the gays - as an old show queen every time I hear "reverse the curse" I hear Bernadette's Peters' voice: "You wish to have the curse reversed? I'll need a certain potion first".

Edited by cousin oliver
Sondheim reference.
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I would need them! And I lived in various parts of the south for 11 years.  It wasn't just the accent. He was kind of mealy mouthed. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ghoulina said:

The way she stood up at TC and started whispering was so obnoxious. That's not a thing now, come on.

That is a thing now, I've seen it plenty on Survivor, and we'll see more of it.  If you find out your ass is suddenly on the line what would you do?  The hate for her seems really over the top to me, I get it that Donathan is meant to the hero who we all like (I don't) but do people really want a villain to hate already?  You'll have to find a new one now anyway.

• Love 2

My issue with what Gonzales did is that she already knew who they were going to vote for, as far as she had been told.  So it was a very aggressive move for her to stand up and ask Brendan who they were voting for, because she already knew, and he was going to tell her what she wanted to hear, so it served no other purpose but to make her look like she was trying to take control.

Also, and the tribemates most likely couldn’t see this, but I could, and the FACES she was making enraged me.  Smug looks good on no one.

Plus, she muttered “sad” as she walked out, which I cannot abide.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, vb68 said:

I wonder if Jacob still thinks that was the greatest tribe that ever existed on the show? Probably not, I'm guessing.

I don't think he ever thought that. 

40 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I liked Gonzalez and thought they should have voted off Donathan, who is a very weak link.

But, I think she did herself no favors with her whispering campaign at TC.  In only reinforced that she was an aggressive player, who could be a threat and would be difficult to control.  

I don't know if it would have made any difference, but I think she should have just made her case that they needed her for challenges and let the chips fall where they may.

I also think going by her last name might have hurt her.  It tends to make you seem like a player or at least someone who thinks she is a player.

Yea,  I think she was just aggressive. I think the tribe thought, "Okay, you may be stronger than Donathan, but you're not manageable at all." They see Don as someone they can control and use for votes. 

5 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

That is a thing now, I've seen it plenty on Survivor, and we'll see more of it.  If you find out your ass is suddenly on the line what would you do?  The hate for her seems really over the top to me, I get it that Donathan is meant to the hero who we all like (I don't) but do people really want a villain to hate already?  You'll have to find a new one now anyway.

When I said it's not a thing, I meant it's not a requirement. I realize it's happened several times, and sometimes I actually find it entertaining. When it fits with the general tribal vibe. When she did it last night, it didn't seem warranted. It seemed like she thought, "I'm on Survivor, at Tribal, I better start whispering now." It was just so extra. 

FTR, prior to that, I was still in the camp of getting rid of Donathan. 

• Love 4

I think Donathan said there weren’t any gay people in West Kentucky that were out like him.  Not that there aren’t any.  I like the subtitles and need them for some British accents, too!

I like two tribes and a theme having nothing to do with the castaways personally.  Finally! 

• Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

(Can I say, as someone who grew up with a strange name, that little kids do not make fun of you for them?  That's not a thing that happens, because little kids do not know what names are weird.  They have literally no way to know.  Their only context for names is...the people in their class, and you are one of those people, so you are that context, and they accept your name exactly the same way they accept anybody else's.  Instead, it is the adults who make you feel bad

Interesting points, Kimber.  They hold true for my son who was saddled with an unusual name because his father thought it was cool.  It's only five letters long and spelled just like it sounds, but grown-ups always acted like it was the oddest name in the world and called him any other name that started with the same letter, like that was just as close as they could get.  It's like going through life with a name like Sebastian and every adult you meet is as big a jerk as Dom.

I grew up on the West Virginia side of Donathan's  home but I still have trouble understanding him.  Like many shy people, he lets the end of his sentences fade away.  I need subtitles for all the fast talking Boston/New York people, too, plus all mumblers and people standing in the surf. 

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 13

The whole irony of this season is "bad decisions made by players." 

so we have two hrs of people making horrendous decisions

why. do. you. tell. people. about. the. idol? why?!. And not only that, why do you lie about not having one, then make one, then tell the person you lied about it like. i'm assuming that same day, "Lookie! I got an idol!" 

At least that's better than

A: lying about an idol
B: telling everyone you found an idol 
C: saying you forgot the clue wrapper on ghost island. 
D: tell someone your entirely (stupid) plan. 

which is on top of being a verbal idiot, wandering off, and just general bad play. 

blegh. 
No, Jeff, I don't think Donathan's play was really "plucky" and some kind of life affirming thing. He cost his team by sitting there going "oh I can't do it, no, I'll suck." 

The whispering "Tribal is Live!" phenomenon needs to like die. I'm all for the cookies coming up at tribal, but the whispering needs to stop, mostly because I don't think it does anything. Most people have their votes locked in, so what is the whispering really accomplishing here? Nothing. that's what.  Also. Stephanie G. It's the first tribal. why are you doing anything to stand out? if y'all must whisper during tribals, at least wait until the merge or something where it makes more sense. 

• Love 11

Apparently she knew she was in trouble before what we saw at tribal anyway.  She says Donathan, while she was away doing confessionals for production before the lockdown before tribal, was crying over being the easy target and managed to get it switched to her.  Then there was the lockdown and I guess it was hard to do anything.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, LanceM said:

Who on that Malolo tribe thought it was a good idea to team up Donathon and James in that challenge? I mean the tow of them had to know their limitations and you'd think they would suggest teaming up with others instead.

I assumed the plan was to let the two of them swim, then have James do the diving (as evidenced by the rest of the team waving Donathan in while James tried to dive).  James probably assured his tribe that he would be able to dive.  The other option would've been to have Donathan either treading water or shooting baskets.  And while I wasn't fond of Probst's storytime where Donathan becomes the hero who saves the day, I am all for someone doing something that they previously never thought they could do.

9 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

"What if we need a little person to maybe shove in somewhere?" -Stephanie

LOL, but true - didn't they hoist Donathan up to grab one of the bags in the first challenge?  A small person sometimes really comes in handy!

That said:

Did I see Gonzalez Stephanie do a lil' flounce with her skirt when she sat down after voting?  That's a whole lot of arrogance for a newbie.  See you later and please don't come back.

I was wondering if the Ghost Island players have to smash the urns in order, or can they choose?

Hoping Morgan can keep her mouth shut about the Legacy Advantage.  And whoever pegged her as Ashley from The Challenge, thank you!  Spot-on.

Jacob had that whole "fake idol" story memorized...he talked too fast and too long.  When trying to create a lie, I think short and sweet is best.  See also: Domenick's quick and succinct answer when Chris initially asked him if he had an idol.  That was good.  Hopefully Chris believed him because while I don't like either dude, I dislike Chris more.

Can't wait to see if the f****** stick comes into play. :)

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

Apparently she knew she was in trouble before what we saw at tribal anyway.  She says Donathan, while she was away doing confessionals for production before the lockdown before tribal, was crying over being the easy target and managed to get it switched to her.  Then there was the lockdown and I guess it was hard to do anything.

Lockdown?   I have watched since day one, spoilers and all. Never heard about this.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, amazingracefan said:

I agree with every word.  I don’t like the whispering but it isn’t going to stop unless a rule is made for next season.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Wings said:

Lockdown?   I have watched since day one, spoilers and all. Never heard about this.

They are not suppose to talk to one another once they start the trip to tribal.

Donathon annoys me. The "Good golly, gee wiz look an Exotic person" is embarrassing. He is just meeting his first Black person? Asians are exotic? I call bullshit. I can understand that there is not a hugely diverse population where he lives but the likelihood that he is just coming into contact with people who are not white is highly unlikely. He is worldly enough to be out of the closet Gay but he is referring to an Asian man as exotic? Nope. Not buying it. He can leave my screen as soon as possible.

Dominick is the brash annoying player but Chris and Sebastian are the super annoying Alpha men's alliance that I hate. They know each other because they are from Florida and fish. Woohooo. (insert eye roll)

I have no problem with Exile/Ghost Island. I like the game play opportunities it offers. I hate redemption island but I am cool with Exile Island. Clearly you want to be sent there because there appears to be unlimited rice. I do wish the hidden immunity idols were at Exile Island but the Producers hate me so that is never going to happen again.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

why. do. you. tell. people. about. the. idol? why?!. And not only that, why do you lie about not having one, then make one, then tell the person you lied about it like. 

It boggles the mind.  These 'super fans' weren't even born when this started 3 years ago so the term has changed.  If you have watched the last few seasons now falls into that category.  There are so many examples of why not to do this.  I can't remember if telling has ever paid off in a big way.  

9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Yes they do as far as I'm concerned.  They only subtitled half of what he said and I had a lot of trouble understanding the other half.  He has an interesting speech pattern and he's very mushmouthed.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

They are not suppose to talk to one another once they start the trip to tribal.

Thanks. Yes, I do know this.  Just never heard of it called lock down.  My Big Brother viewing brings a whole different visual to mind.

• Love 5

They're all so clean and fresh and energized in the beginning. But one busty woman should've had a proper bra-fitting before she got to Fiji.  I don't get the underwear now - it wasn't like this in early seasons when they wore proper swimsuits.  And I'd take Crocs to wear.  Wet sneakers and gritty sand makes for lots of painful blisters.

I wish they'd subtitle the Survivor names during the first episode.  Anyway it's looking good.  I'll keep tuning in.  The first people voted out are always the ones that get most  air time it seems.  And the guy that couldn't dive and then dived perfectly seemed a bit of a set up (to me, anyway).

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Wings said:

Thanks. Yes, I do know this.  Just never heard of it called lock down.  My Big Brother viewing brings a whole different visual to mind.

hehehe Yeah, it does mean something different for BB. I have heard the contestants talk about it as lockdown before. I think they used to be able to talk when they had to hike to tribal but now that they are transported to tribal they are not. I suspect that the difference is because it is easier to talk unheard with boat/car motors running.

• Love 2