Type keyword(s) to search

McMafia - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Alex travels to Moscow on business, unaware of the devastation that Dmitri's actions have caused and the danger he is rushing into. As the full horror of the situation unfolds, Alex is forced to play the one card he has left to save himself before facing a final showdown with Vadim. Last in the series.

In the wake of recent events, Alex is forced to finally admit the truth. The peace negotiations between Semiyon and his enemies in Istanbul get underway, and seem to bring matters to a close - but not before Alex suffers a further betrayal. Vadim is left feeling conflicted by the violence he is forced to live with and his love for his daughter.

In the wake of recent events, Alex is forced to finally admit the truth. The peace negotiations between Semiyon and his enemies in Istanbul get underway, and seem to bring matters to a close - but not before Alex suffers a further betrayal. Vadim is left feeling conflicted by the violence he is forced to live with and his love for his daughter.

Alex believes Vadim is still a threat despite Semiyon's fortunes continuing to rise rise - until he is arrested in Tel Aviv. This new development disrupts Alex and Rebecca's engagement celebrations, and presents Lyudmilla with the opportunity to regain her freedom. Masha confesses her secret to Katya, while Rebecca grows closer to Antonio while her fiance is in Israel.

Benny uncovers information about a shipment of heroin being smuggled from Pakistan into India. He does not realise that Dilly is spying on him, and after a robbery, gains all the information he needs to pull off a heist - however Semiyon warns that it is Alex's decision whether the operation goes ahead. Karin is suspicious about the fund Alex is using to move Semiyon's money around, while Rebecca becomes concerned when she discovers Alex has a secret second phone. In Prague, Vadim resolves to find out who Benes is in league with.

I liked it more than I thought I would. The whole Russian mafia thing almost put me off completely, and I almost gave it a pass, but I'm glad I tried it. Alex was very likeable, and even though it was slow-moving at times, it somehow managed to draw me in.

• Love 4

I agree, at first the Russian mafia thing had me going "oh no, not this crap!" but the more I watched, the more I got drawn in.  It's certainly a nice change from the glut of cop/firefighter/medical drama/sci-fi/superhero, etc. stuff.

• Love 3

I watched this because I love James Norton and the premise sounded good and I will continue to watch.  Norton played a VERY dark character in the Happy Valley series (highly recommended), so we know he can go to that place if that's where the show takes him.

That said, Alex has the Worst. Russian. Accent. Ever.  Or maybe he's desperate to assimilate in London and that's him HIDING his accent?  Because sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not.  Either way, I'm not listening to what he's saying because I'm too busy listening to HOW he says it.  And, of course, staring at his pretty, pretty face.

• Love 2

Works for me. I love him. Have it on DVR but am behind. So you guys recommend this? I got so lost with another spy show called Counterpart I finally had to give up, but I do like a cocktail with my late night viewing, so there is that! (Hey, I'm retired!) Burp.

• Love 3

James Norton has such as an impassive, deadpan face until plot makes it work. Even Uncle Boris talked about it at the start of the ep. The last time I saw Norton was in War& Peace so he plays (fake) Russian again. When he is expressive, he does have a rawness and intensity to his acting, but he really needs the right roles for it. I think this is a good fit for him since it seems there will be a lot of financial crime amidst it.

All the female characters leave a bit to be desired except I do like the actor playing the mother. She looks like Catherine Deneuve too. I like it. I'll save a copy of it for my partner who recently only watched "The Night Manager" for the first time and liked it. I think this may be on the same lines.

• Love 1

I was surprised where the girl ended up. The whole scene at the dog show and the one later with Little Vadim, I was watching with my finger on the remote button because I was so sure he was going to kill that dog.

• Love 2

This show went to so many locations last night that it was kind  of dizzying.  I, too, was surprised where the girl ended up.  I did find it hard to believe that the father survived that fall.

• Love 2

I did not really like this episode mostly because I find a lot of human trafficking story lines disturbing. In the credit sequences, they reference all the locations they shot at. They must have had a high budget for this show. 

I didn't see the whole episode - is the David Strathairn character behind the human trafficking of these poor girls or is he "just" a buyer?

I know human trafficking happens just like this every day and this is why that part of the show is the hardest to watch for me.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, Oosala said:

I watched this because I love James Norton and the premise sounded good and I will continue to watch.  Norton played a VERY dark character in the Happy Valley series (highly recommended), so we know he can go to that place if that's where the show takes him.

That said, Alex has the Worst. Russian. Accent. Ever.  Or maybe he's desperate to assimilate in London and that's him HIDING his accent?  Because sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not.  Either way, I'm not listening to what he's saying because I'm too busy listening to HOW he says it.  And, of course, staring at his pretty, pretty face.

I don't think he was trying to do an accent. He just sounded like regular James Norton to me.  Didn't he say they moved to England when he was a child, and he was educated in British schools and went to college in America?  He also told the Russian mob guy that he understood Russian but didn't speak it, so all that combined, it would make sense he wouldn't have a Russian accent.  

The "accent" that bothered me was the Israeli politician.  I work with people who are from different parts of Israel, and I've talked with many more.  I don't know what that accent is supposed to be, but it didn't bear any resemblance to any Israeli accent I've heard.

I liked this a whole lot more than I thought I would, and I think I'm in for the whole season.

• Love 2

I missed the first 15-20 min, so when they kept flashing to the blond girl, I was confused. But I caught a rerun from the beginning, and the whole human trafficking story line was done extremely well I thought. The parallel of how the money moves from place to place juxtaposed against how the girls were moved and where the one ended up was something I don't think I've seen in such detail before.

The whole time Dmitri was on the roof, I was like "Yep, he's about to go over." Didn't see the save in the form of another balcony, though. I don't believe he's long for the world.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe Alex's girlfriend was so trusting of the "old Harvard buddy" story, especially after she saw the picture. Even though she remarked that it looked like they had the wrong picture of the guy, and Alex was obviously less than thrilled, it didn't occur to her that anything was amiss. She came across as pretty dim even though she's supposed to be some financial hotshot. I thought she knew that Alex's family are Russian mob, but maybe she's naïve enough to think they are just rich and completely legitimate.

• Love 3

Was the guy held prisoner Alex's supposedly dead uncle?  His face was so battered until I couldn't tell.

Since it seems like everyone on this show is shady, now I'm wondering if Alex's girlfriend is shady as well, because I can't believe that someone that smart could be that dim.

I noticed that Alex's father wouldn't shake hands with his black son-in-law (or his daughter's boyfriend?) so it must really be uncomfortable for him to be a part of that family.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Was the guy held prisoner Alex's supposedly dead uncle?  His face was so battered until I couldn't tell.

Since it seems like everyone on this show is shady, now I'm wondering if Alex's girlfriend is shady as well, because I can't believe that someone that smart could be that dim.

I noticed that Alex's father wouldn't shake hands with his black son-in-law (or his daughter's boyfriend?) so it must really be uncomfortable for him to be a part of that family.

It was the guy who killed his uncle.

I don't think the daughter is married. Alex isn't even married yet and he seems the most stable one in the family. 

Edited by Athena

I came to check the consensus since I'd never heard of it until I inadvertently stopped fast-forwarding Walking Dead commercials on a McMafia promo.  Geez, AMC isn't exactly pulling out the big guns to advertise their new drama.

It sounds like . . . seven? people thought it was decent, though.

3 hours ago, Athena said:

I was the guy who killed his uncle.

Ok, thanks.  I forgot who he was or what he looked like.  I thought it was big, beefy guy who actually killed the uncle, and this guy hanging up looked much slimmer.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, Ohwell said:

The girlfriend has to have something else going on, she seems so unfazed by Alex's (new?) demeanor......unless Alex is always that wooden. I guess you can chalk it up to him being there when his Uncle was killed. Hopefully she has an angle that she's playing, otherwise she just seems oblivious. 

I can't believe Dimitri was having an affair! I thought his grief over his brother was a bit extreme, but didn't guess he had a mistress. Oksana came through like a BOSS.BITCH though. Basically told her not to half-ass it if you want him, take all of him!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, nekilarose said:

unless Alex is always that wooden.

I think he really is always that wooden. Casting Norton means you have someone who has a very impassive face; I've met a couple men like this. They even admit to being very unexpressive.

Oksana is one of my favourites in this series so far.

10 hours ago, nekilarose said:

Oksana came through like a BOSS.BITCH though. Basically told her not to half-ass it if you want him, take all of him!

I love how Oksana handled that mistress!  I'm sure she left her scared shitless.

I'm hoping self-righteous Rebecca gets murdered.   I'm beginning to be annoyed with Karen as well because if she doesn't like what Alex is doing, then she needs to find another job.

I knew that poor Indian guy who stayed late in the office was going to get killed.  That was so sad.  However, I was delighted when the other Indian guy made it safely home with the cricket stick to give to his son.  I was surprised that they let him live.  Unfortunately, he's going to worried for a long time that they'll come after him.  

I like Alex's new hacker guy.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lily H said:

Rebecca is way too nosy. I can see her blabbing to the wrong person and bringing Alex down.

Word. The whole episode I was like "discretion, do you know it?" Talking to any and everyone about Alex, all that is gonna do is put him under a microscope with even more people. I get that he's your fiancé, but maybe keep it a bit more to yourself until you have more proof?

I was so scared that the computer guy would meet a horrible fate. But since it seems like he's proven his usefulness, he'll be around more I'm sure.

Side note: was that not the cutest baby ever? 

• Love 1

This show doesnt appear to be attracting too much attention, which is too bad, because there is a lot to recommend it. I think the biggest weakness is the actor playing Alex. He has no presence at all, and in a show like this, that's a huge void.

• Love 1

Without all the glitz and glamour, Lyudmilla looks so young, my heart bleeds for her. But I wanted to stand up and cheer when she bargained for her freedom. Attagirl! Beat them at their own game. I did not see that twist with Semiyon, nor with Masha. Dmitri sure gets around, doesn't he? 

Alex is showing more emotion now, he's not just a block of wood. I like that he's taking matters into his hands as well.

How did that Russian mook survive a kettle bell to his head? I  guess I got trained by other cable network crime shows to expect more explicit gore from the violent actions shown.

Too bad about the two young male lovers, although I figured neither would survive.

Rebecca is still too nosy for her own good.  I think Antonio will wind up killing her.  If so, I say good riddance because she senses that Alex is involved in something very dangerous, yet she sticks around trying to poke him.  

• Love 2

I thought Antonio was setting up Semiyon at first to finally get the business connection he wants.  I believe Semiyon made a mistake not letting Lyudmilla go - and kudos to her for trying to free herself.  It looks like Josef may break with Semiyon over this and join Alex when he inevitably crosses that line and stops being "just a banker" with some criminal connections.

Rebecca confiding in the dangerous Antonio about Alex was so ironic.  And she was coming on to him while Antonio pulled back there at the end. 

• Love 2

Yes, Rebecca was definitely coming on to Antonio, which is why I won't be sad if she's killed.  Say what you will about Alex, there's been no indication that he's been unfaithful to her.

• Love 1

My warning  bells were blaring at the chick in the pool. Baby or not, she was a tad bit too friendly. Also dude in the department  store, can you be any more  obvious? Although  I'm pissed that the bodyguard   left the person  she was supposed  to  be  guarding  outside, alone, and vulnerable.

What the what  Masha? I somehow  missed  that she was   Alexs' ex as well as Katya's  best friend, ew. That  is not gonna  work out for you in the long run, take the money and goooooo.

Poor Lyudmilla and Joseph. The way they're  both going, I don't see one of them surviving  the season. I'm calling it right now, Vadims  right hand man  is doing some shady ass shit. Don't know what yet, but he's  definitely  suspect in some way.

Edited by nekilarose
missed a thought
  • Love 1

That Masha was Alex's ex was a surprise to me, too.   

Also, I called the chick in the pool as being shady.  Rebecca should have sensed something, too.  I find her to be annoying and I'm not sorry she got shot.

• Love 2

Why is AMC airing this show at 11 PM?  Do they no longer care about the ratings? I guess I am not holding my breath for the second series the BBC wanted to do.

You would think a smart criminal like Vadim would realize that his own daughter is a dead woman walking now that he tried to kill Rebecca.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, magdalene said:

Why is AMC airing this show at 11 PM?  Do they no longer care about the ratings? I guess I am not holding my breath for the second series the BBC wanted to do.

I wondered about that too.  I watch The Terror which comes on before, and they're now showing the same episode twice, which I don't understand.  It's annoying to have to wait until 11 now to watch McMafia and now I'm wondering which show might be in trouble ratings-wise. 

I just did some googling and unfortunately it looks like McMafia's ratings aren't that good, especially compared to The Terror. 

Edited by Ohwell
typo
  • Love 1

Yeah, I looked up the ratings and it sure looks to be a goner.  To compare, it's doing worse than Halt and Catch Fire did and that show only survived for four seasons because somebody in power at AMC obviously really liked it and it also wasn't that expensive to produce.

McMafia looks expensive, it's a co-production between the BBC and AMC and there is no way this will go on on if AMC pulls out.

• Love 1

I really like the show, but the main problem is that most of it is close captioned in English because they're mainly speaking Russian, so that I have to be glued to the tv instead of occasionally doing other things and listening.  

• Love 1