Type keyword(s) to search

Black Clover - General Discussion

• Start Topic

End title:   Noelle, water girl, and Orihime from BLEACH, right?  I like that they don’t make it weird, they’re just hanging out.  

I couldn’t figure out if our musical interlude plus animation was intended to continue the watery theme.  

I’m liking the Beach Blanket Black Bulls arc. Minimum, we see that the hulking dude can shape-shift. Saddest part so far — aside from flashbacks of Noelle’s siblings saying she should have died — is the low talker missing the proverbial bus, staying back and drawing his teammates’ faces on rocks to keep him company.

With Magna and Luck working together against Vetto, I keep hoping they'll put some basic chemistry together for a big combo attack: Run electricity through water and you get hydrogen and oxygen. Then add fire to get BOOM.

On 10/31/2018 at 6:58 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I think that is Mimosa.

Got it, I see it now (since she was in this most recent ep.).  Her uniform was so Orihime my mind just went there.  

Uh oh, does this mean Kahone will also have a thing for Asta?  He’s so am archetypal Shonen protagonist that I can’t identify with him any more. 

I dunno. Gordon seems like the one who's most likely to go psycho after a particularly bad day and start collecting heads so he can "keep his friends close to him."

Luring Charmy into battle with fake food was brilliant.

Grave turns out to be a really scared girl. With shape-shifting, I guess a steaming and sighing giant would be good "go-to" form. Her "default" is cute, though. In other news, do not get Charmy mad, or that's your ass.

ETA: Do we ever get Gordon's magic deal and/or backstory? Poor Marilyn Manson-looking guy . . .

Edited by Lantern7

Nice that Grey's real form has been added to the opening credits.

I'm wondering when Asta will get around to using one of his swords to destroy someone's grimoire.

Was that a shout-out at the end of the episode? "Goodbye, Mister Despair." They've been fighting Nozomu all this time! I suppose that would mean that Asta is Kafuka. ("I'm in despair! Shout-outs to other shows have left me in despair!")

Here is a video on the turnaround of Black Clover. Spoiler stuff on what happens after last week's episode runs from 9:48-12:31.

The latest arc was pretty fun. I got a feel for all of the Black Bulls. Well,  except for poor Gordon. Really hoping he doesn't murder anyone to turn evil.

Before I forget, here's the full version of "Guess Who Is Back":

I’m caught up finally.  I liked the alternate ending on the final episode of this arc.

The arc was ok, ultimately turning out better than I expected (since it started as a beach fan service thing).  I’m disappointed that we couldn’t make it 100% “Noelle comes into her own”, I actually liked those episodes the best.  

The Diamond Kingdom attacks the Clover Kingdom with an army and three generals, and Yuno's Golden Whatever squad shows up to defend the town. Yami volunteers to go help, and naturally Asta insists on tagging along, even with his two broken arms.

I keep wondering about Charmy's massive food intake. Gigantic undiagnosed tapeworm? Super-fast metabolism that will have her dead of old age by the time she's 25? Magical stomach? Or do her sheep chefs (sheefs?)  just make zero-calorie food?

I'll have to see that on DVR. Last week, we had differences in brotherhood. Asta and Yuno may not be connected by blood, but they respect each other. Then we got Finral's brother being a complete and utter dick to him and the Black Bulls. First of all, I don't think the Bulls should be seen as a squad made of charity cases. They're loud, they get dirty, but they're powerful in their own right. Sadly, Langris (found that name while looking for Finral's) is just another noble asshole who disrespects anyone below his class, even if three of them take down a major threat fucking right in front of him. And that includes Asta with two broken arms, wielding his fuckoff anti-magic sword with his teeth. A little respect would be nice. At least the Golden Dawn captain isn't a prick himself, even with Yami poking to see if he's a traitor or not.

I can see how the team can invite ridicule. Charmy might as well be strictly chibi. And she's so thirsty for Yuno. Apparently, so is the fairy Yuno has acquired, because he levels up like a boss.

Judging by the credits, I think we'll be getting a Vanessa arc. At least we know that her deal is "strings" in addition to "shapely lush."

4 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Gordon and Asta have some very special bonding time over eating some meat. No, that's not the least bit suggestive.

Especially since Gordon said he wants to hold Asta's hand.

I'm going to guess that whatever Vanessa is doing will get Asta's arms working again, since she's apparently getting some extra character focus time soon.

I was spoiled on Asta's new situation, as well as him trying to rebound from that. Episode was also good because of the focus of all of the Black Bulls, even though they tend to revert to mere traits at a scene like that. "I'M ROWDY!!" "I'm shy!" "I want to be with Asta . . . if Asta was worth being with, that is!" "FOOD!!!!" "[inaudible]" "The blood gushes from my nose for you, dear Marie. Only for you!"

My gut reaction: if there's a guy/girl who's great with healing, chop off Asta's arms, then get them regenerated. I'm guessing the curse wounds won't spread through his body.

ETA: The Bulls also got enough stars to get to zero. Weren't they at negative-69 the first time the board was introduced?

Edited by Lantern7
23 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: The Bulls also got enough stars to get to zero. Weren't they at negative-69 the first time the board was introduced?

If they stop and think about it, effectively it was a really good recruiting year for the worst team in the league, and they didn’t even have to spend their first pick to get him.

(I’m assuming Noelle was their first pick - no other squad would pick her on account of her erratic abilities plus family drama.)

Asta and friends finally get to talk to the Witch Queen, and the forces of the Diamond Kingdom and the Eye of the Midnight Sun just happen to attack at that moment. The Queen heals Asta's arms, and ass-kicking starts to ensue.

BTW, the Witch Queen looks like she's going to a costume party dressed as an artichoke.

When I initially started watching the show I thought it was gonna be about both Asta and Yuno's journey...  And I really dug those episodes the two played off each other well.. But this has devolved into the Asta is the greatest thing ever show and I just can't... I know just read the previews and wait to see if Yuno is mentioned to decide to watch... Asta is just a bore for me... Too loud.. Too much ( if I scream and try hard I can do anything)  hes like all the bad anime tropes... Does anyone know if the mango that the show is based on eventually flips to talk more about Yuno or is it always gonna be this way? 

@UNOSEZ . . .I get that feeling. I feel, Asta has shown some growth, but he can get too loud. Right now, he's all, "MY ARMS ARE SO ROBUST!!!" And Fendral's all, "Why, why, WHY am I here when shit starts hitting the fan!!!" That didn't stop him from handing out the equivalent of business cards to the witches. You know, the women who hate men and don't allow them into their village. While this is going on, Yuno has also been leveling up, and he's got a pixie assistant that's warm for him. So is Charmy. I can't say I really blame either of them.

Anyone else watching? I can't keep track of the two evil armies assaulting the Witches' Forrest. One standout, though, is Ladros. His English VA is snarky as fuck, as he deals with Asta. I found a Wikia entry on him. Here's what was under "Personality": "Ladros is a selfish, rude and arrogant man who thinks about no one but himself. He is also a megalomaniac." Granted this Wikia might not have many users, but that description is on point.

Surprise! The Witch Queen is a total...witch. Who'da thunk it? On a positive note, she unleashed Asta's inner devil before sticking the knife in, giving him a massive power-up.

Edited by Sandman87

Was that lengthy black-screen interlude intentional or a technical difficulty?

Oh, Yami, you just happened to chose the Witch's Forrest in which to engage some martial arts training. Did he think the big wall was just for show?

27 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

Oh, Yami, you just happened to chose the Witch's Forrest in which to engage some martial arts training. Did he think the big wall was just for show? 

I suspect that thinking wasn't much involved. Yami just does what he does.

Vanessa's power controls "the red string of destiny", so naturally it looks like a cat. Because cats play with strings.

Of course Asta has weird demonic one-winged powers. On the other hand, he was left on the doorstep, so he could have come from anywhere. Basically, it's similar to Blue Exorcist which means I'm dreading the reveal of Yuno as a Big Bad or corrupted by one of those.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, Sandman87 said:

Vanessa's power controls "the red string of destiny", so naturally it looks like a cat. Because cats play with strings.

I like the Witch Queen's frustration as the Fate Feline kept hitting rewind on her orders to Asta to kill everyone.

Asta's dream from a few episodes back was trippy. Sadly, he still wants to marry Sister Lily.

The Star Festival looks like fun . . . if you overlook the snobbery held towards the commonfolk. Given that Noelle has probably been shat upon by her family her entire life, could she even quality as royalty other than in title only?

Heh. Jack and Yami fight to the death. Enter the Wizard King. "ZA WARUDO!!!" And then things settle down. I thought of the "Jojo" parallel just now.

Sekka still sucks. Ha ha!! He adds so little in general. Ha ha!! Why haven't the two nerds that are always stuck with him not slit his throat by now? Ha ha!!!

Funny that Asta's new friends from the Sea Kingdom (or whatever it's called) came by, and that Asta just happened to have enough Witch Queen gunk to heal their seemingly permanent injuries.

Asta says what everyone is thinking and almost gets himself and Yuno executed.

Gordon momentarily needs no subtitles.

The new captain of the Crimson Lions is a bit of a change from the old one to say the least.

New character! He looks like a cross between a hollow and Hisoka and he crashes the Royal Knights contest pretending to be a member of the Purple Dorks Orcas. The Wizard King allows him to do so because that's just how this Wizard King rolls.

In other news, Finral gets a new do. It goes over about like you'd expect.

Well now that they're both on the royal knights squad we can finally get back to making this show about asta AND Yuno... And not just the loud doofy Asta show... I'm guessing one of these two is the child of the elf and the human princess... My gut and hope is that its Yuno.. But the history of the show makes me think it'll be asta... I mean he is blonde like both of them... So we'll see

Magic knight battles! New asshole that befriends Asta! Pretty nice stuff .  .. until Noelle's brother swings by to shit on her yet again. On the other hand, we got Yuno's boss looking horrified at the thought of being on a team with a psycho like Luck.

And the rest of the Black Bulls swing by to support their own. BTW, are we ever going to learn anything about Mumblyn Manson?

11 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

The new guy with the trap powers doesn't seem to grasp the concept of teamwork.

Asta seemed a little louder than usual this time.

I'm further along than you are... Just watched episode 88 and yeah he's still really loud... Not sure why they made him so... 

At long last, Noelle gets one up on the pile of excrement she calls a brother. The last match felt forced, since we had Noelle vs. Solid, along with Yuno facing another guy from the Golden Dawn whose dialogue might have been replaced with "NOTICE ME, SENPAI!!!!!" throughout this episode. Bonus: chilled-out mage with mushroom magic. And the Black Bulls still don't have access to subtitles in order to understand Gordon.

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And the Black Bulls still don't have access to subtitles in order to understand Gordon.

Oddly enough, the subtitles were somewhat different from what Gordon was actually saying.

. . . and another noble gets owned by Asta. What I’d like for to know is if Asta was as comical in expressing how screwed he was in the original dub. The only thing missing was the asshole screaming, “He found my petard! And he’s hoisting me with it!!! AND IT HURTS!!!!!” Cut to Magna and the buff lady knight, all, “Well, that was petarded.”

Have we seen Yuno’s fairy companion/familiar do anything special? If she did, I’ve forgotten about it

Asta hams it up. "Oh no! I'm completely at the mercy of this noble! How could I ever doubt the power and intelligence of such an obviously superior being?" Hilarious that the guy was defeated by an ordinary hole in the ground.

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Have we seen Yuno’s fairy companion/familiar do anything special? If she did, I’ve forgotten about it

Yeah, back when he used her in the fight with that diamond guy. I forget exactly what it was though. Maybe he'll get some more screen time to show off the spirit magic.

Finally caught up, and I think the knight who has the hots for Char (“It’s CAPTAIN Char!”) is the best.  

This was a long time back, but the ep where Asta is taken over by the dark anti magic power and destroys the magic absorbing diamond kingdom guy was really well animated.  It made the normal show look like Ms. Kmieciak’s third grade class did it. 

Longs like Langris is hooked up to the juice of . .  . whatever those jerks with the generated third eye had. That's a shame . . . Finral might be a putz with women and those he's supposed to be ordering, but he's been dicked harder than any other Black Bull, save for Asta and Noelle.

15 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Especially after he bites off Ha-Ha's head for bothering him while he's on the toilet.

I laughed hard see that. I really did. Sekke materializes after Finral (literally) took him off the board, and he winds up in the bathroom of the Black Bulls. With Yami on the toilet. Seriously, Sekke is tiresome. I mean, buttmonkeys are great, but he just sucks. Ha ha.