Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Potato Salad, a Broomstick, and Dad's Whiskey

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I liked that George was supportive of Mary getting a job but the attitude that both of them had that MeeMaw should have been thrilled to sit for them everyday and was being selfish not to do it just absolutely grates!

Oh, me too, CherryAmes.  This is what my Mom said to me when I had my son: "I didn't raise my children only to turn around and raise theirs."  I know that sounds harsh, but I understood her point.  There was the occasional times we'd go to the movies and they'd happily watch him, but as for day-to-day, 5 days a week, that was a big NO!  I know  a lot of young women who felt like their parents or grandparents should be thrilled to take care of their children, with no regard as to how they really felt about it.  I'm happy for those that love it, but I can see it from my Mom's point of view too.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I'm happy for those that love it, but I can see it from my Mom's point of view too.

Absolutely!  And not to be morbid or fast forward too much but I'm sure when George dies MeeMaw will be a tower of strength for Mary but in the meantime MeeMaw is a relatively young woman (well hey mid 60s ain't old!!) and she is entitled to live her life without guilt trips from Mary!  I loved that she checked on the twins though.  She is obviously a caring and involved grandmother- just don't take advantage of her!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

my Mom said to me when I had my son: "I didn't raise my children only to turn around and raise theirs." 

My mom said that she wanted to be a grandmother and not a babysitter.  She would offer to take kids on certain weekends, the whole bunch of them.  It was up to us to make plans for a weekend away with our partners.  She would sit for say a wedding or in a pinch but would not agree to a daily or weekly job.  My sister wanted her to watch her daughter for an hour each day and nope, nada and find your own cemented plans for childcare.  She wanted her time with the grandkids to be special.  We all live around the corner and down the street from each other.

I really like how Meemaw balances her life with helping George and Mary. Money is tight with Mary not working, but how many young families couldn't use more? They're in no apparent danger of losing their middle class home or their 2 cars, and meat is on the table every night. They even have enough mad money for beauty days at the spa and weekend trips with overnight motel stays. Meemaw is there when they need her (and even when George thinks they don't), and she isn't resentful or overbearing. It's a nice change from the angry martyr stereotype.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Missy and Sheldon go to different schools, yet they come home at the same time. 

Makes sense to me.  Bus goes to one school and picks up kids, proceeds to second school and picks up those kids and then goes and does the drop offs at stops.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Makes sense to me.  Bus goes to one school and picks up kids, proceeds to second school and picks up those kids and then goes and does the drop offs at stops.

Or if it’s like my district when the schools are staggered Missy could’ve waited for Sheldon.

On 3/3/2018 at 3:33 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Agreed. Missy is just amazing and I hope we get to see more of her. I'd love to see an episode split with George, Georgie and Sheldon off doing something, and then the other plotline would be Mary and Missy doing something else.  

They did this in the episode which the boys drove out of state to see rocket launch and got rained out. The girls went to get dolled up.  I like the George and Sheldon's interactions in that episode

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

I was wondering why Sheldon and Georgie didn't get a drive to school with their father.  Last place I'd want my 9 yr old is on a school bus full of teenagers!

Georgie didn't get a ride to school because he got up late, I think his dad does usually take him.  Mary always drives Missy and Sheldon to school, but now she can't pick them up.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

They did this in the episode which the boys drove out of state to see rocket launch and got rained out. The girls went to get dolled up.  I like the George and Sheldon's interactions in that episode

Yeah, but I felt like there was quite a bit of set-up to get to that point. I want to see more time with them split up. In the version I want to see, the set-up would start at the breakfast table. Mary telling George, "Now remember, you promised you were going to take the boys ________." Instead of half the episode being set-up, you start off with the gender split from scene two after a scene of set-up. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, ProudMary said:

I loved that Missy continued to let the music move her even though that pastor signalled that she should stop.  That truly annoyed me.  They were not in the actual church at a service at the time.  They were in a church hall having a post-service, pot luck luncheon.

There's an old joke- Q.: Why don't Baptists have sex standing up?

A.: Because someone will think they're dancing.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2018 at 8:49 PM, BlossomCulp said:

They don't say.  Mary sees the huge bandage on Sheldon's finger, notices the smell of whiskey and then Missie says "wait til I tell you what I did to MeeMaw" and that's how it ended.  At least on the channel I was watching anyway.

I loved Sheldon's huge bandage - it reminded me of when my oldest son was about 3, and he got a little cut on his head.  He saw the blood and freaked out (I'm sure you all know how head wounds bleed, no matter how tiny).  The only way I could calm him down was to wrap n ace bandage around his head.  When his father got home from work, he took one look and freaked out himself.  I was laughing so hard it took me ages to explain what had happened!

I'm really enjoying this show.  It's so refreshing to see a show that has children as lead's who aren't annoying brats.

• Love 6
(edited)

My mom was a single mom and I was left alone after school from age 9. I think I was too young, though I was very responsible and nothing ever happened. I just didn't like being alone that much.

As for these days, around here it's age 12.  Elementary school (K-6 here) provides before and after school daycare for a low cost, and since the kids are 12 are when they graduate and head off to high school (grades 7-11), that's basically considered the age when it's ok to leave them alone. There may also be a law, but I'm not sure. 

I forgot to add that the receptionist coughing up a lung and then shoving the cigarette back in her mouth was hilarious. I had to rewind and watch it again.

Edited by AEMom
Forgot something
  • Love 1
On 3/4/2018 at 5:58 PM, HyeChaps said:

Missy and Sheldon go to different schools, yet they come home at the same time. 

Yes; high school should get out significantly earlier than elementary school. Maybe Sheldon waited in the library for an hour or so and then there is a late bus that took him home that also drives the younger kids? It is a plot hole.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

should get out significantly earlier than elementary school. Maybe Sheldon waited in the library for an hour or so and then there is a late bus that took him home that also drives the younger kids? It is a plot hole.

I think it depends on the community.  Some small towns, everyone goes at once.  Here, elementary school gets out earlier, high school gets out later.  

• Love 2

My parents were divorced and my brothers and I lived with our dad who left for work at 7am. At age 7, 8 and 10 we were left alone in the morning to get ready and make our own way to school. We got bored hanging around at home and started showing up at the school earlier and earlier. The teachers noticed and reported it and my parents had to find someone to watch us in the morning although we were still unsupervised for a few hours after school. If it had just been me, as the middle child and the most sensible, I would have been okay but my brothers went wild with the lack of supervision. It really depends on the child but even with well behaved children it seems so easy for things to go wrong at that age.