Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Lisa's Story

• Start Topic

Hey girl, hey! Waving at you across town or maybe across the street...proud Mobilian here too. 

I had the same reaction as you when I saw Lisa is from our fair city...oh crap, the folks on the forum are going to love to hate this one. Please don't let them paint us all with a broad brush LOL

I haven't seen anything about this via news outlets or social media, have you? I have to tell you though, I was SUPER PROUD of the fine Firemen who treated her with the utmost respect despite all of her loud theatrics. They were the most respectful and capable responders I've seen to date. Also, that EMS service isn't local so I guess they sent those folks from outside the area to handle the transport. Again, they treated her well and hell, even bought her McDonalds, based on the large drink she had propped next to her in the ambulance. 

• Love 14

Holy crap! She is the absolute worst of the worst of every person I've seen on this show. And, that says a lot when you consider Assanti and Penny. What a manipulative, nasty shrew. She's gotten away with taking no responsibility for anything EVER in her life and loves laying in bed barking orders. Dr Now was at his absolute best tonight and showed great restraint. When she was shrieking in the ER, I wouldn't have been able to control myself and would have slapped her upside the head. Gah! It's going to take me a while to process this one........

• Love 20

I'm still watching so don't want to read comments yet but goodness the drawwwwwwwwwwl. That's extreme.

Maggots?!

Squealing like a freakin' pig! Goodness.

Froot Loops? Yeah, we knew that diet wasn't working.

Crazy eyes over the Coke!

I swear, if there's deep fried wontons in this apt....

I think Lisa is maybe not all there 

Herburt is gonna mess this up

Taking bets as to her next weigh-in. Let's go with....710

She ain't gonna walk

Oh, more pig squeals!

Oh boy, a dietitian. This should go well.

Pudding! Bread! Pizza rolls! Shitty Walmart donuts! Lasagna! Lisa bout to cut a bitch. If looks could kill....

Sex life! I don't understand. Is she rewarding Herburt with food for sex?

Oh, he's digging that stuff out of the trash. 

Weigh in time! Ok seriously, is she maybe just a little slow-witted? For real. 

Yep, saw that coming.

Oh Dr. Now you're delightful when you throw shade!

A proposal. Aww. But there's a catch, she has to walk down the aisle.

Oops I dozed off and woke up to the therapist. 

Oh my lord send her home. Holy shit.

I think Lisa wants to be miserable. She doesn't know how to function unless there's drama.

Omg - "Are you done?" - Dr. Now. Lol! 

I think he's right, that's where she wants to be is in the bed. 

Oh boy, Herburt has been asked to leave the room. Oh shit. Chill, Lisa. You can fix this, c'mon.

Oh she's nucking futs. Run, Herburt!

Yeah, go Dr. Now! Don't put up with her shit!   

Oh boy, you know her family is like "We don't really want her back".

Start the tears, guilt your daughter who has her dream job. 

Ahh! The episode cut off. How does it end? 

Edited by Stripper Glitter
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ThisGirlAsh said:

Can someone answer, what was it with the cheese in the rice?  I've never heard of that before.  Is that like a poor man's mac and cheese or a southern thing?

It's delicious. I used to make it a lot. Now we don't bc low carb ;-) Oh, I live in the PNW.

3 hours ago, Gbb said:

As not only a Southerner, but a Mobilian, I can tell you that stacks of American cheese in rice is neither a Southern nor Mobile thing I’ve ever seen. Until now. 

Wait. It was sliced American cheese? Not shredded cheddar? Ewwwww.

• Love 5

I honestly don't know who treats people worse, Steven or Lisa. Hot damn. Her mother sounds like a real piece of work - all the crap she blamed Lisa for that wasn't her fault - but she's turned into someone just as nasty. And so dramatic too, I don't know how Dr. Now was keeping a straight face. She went from crying hysterically to being threatening with him cause he saw right through her.

Edited by missnoa
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

The same way it began: with a deranged 700-pound woman laying in a bed, blaming everything and everyone for something she is solely responsible for. 

And somewhere in Maryland, Penny is making some bed-deli sandwiches, snickering while muttering under her breath, "I'm not looking so bad now, am I, bitches?"

I knew it was gonna be a rough episode as soon as she was making all that noise when being loaded for medical transport.  I think this was the first episode in which they didn't even cover the entire year.

I still found it kind of sad.  I always want to see the patients succeed, but Lisa is so fundamentally broken that she's doomed.  Most patients at least try, even if they falter at first.  Lisa's pretty horrible, but it saddens me that she is that way and the weight gain is a byproduct of it.  She reminds me of Ricky from the documentary "The Man Who Ate Himself To Death".  He wailed a lot about how much he needed help, but never put in any effort.  Eventually he died fat man after his wife had enough and left him.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

I don't know where it cut off for you, but the last scene was Danielle and her children (or it might have been both of Lisa's kids and all the grandchildren) visiting her at the apartment in Houston.  The presence of the grandchildren brought about the only pleasantness you'll ever see out of Lisa.  Danielle was being the sort of strict you would have seen earlier in the episode.  Sort of this anger laced rhetorical inquiry on how Lisa's weight loss was going.  Lisa swore she would do it "the Lisa way", but you know that's not going to have results.  Then it just kind of ended.

• Love 10

I stopped watching this episode at about the 40-minute mark. I know that anyone who gets to 600 lb. has issues, but it was clear that she was severely mentally ill, probably with some intellectual disabilities as well. There was absolutely no way she would lose weight. It made me uncomfortable to watch (as well as irritated that she was so unpleasant), so I had to turn it off. I want to see successful weight loss journeys, or at least episodes where there is some effort made to follow the weight-loss program. I don't want to watch someone who puts in absolutely no effort because her mental and psychological issues are too profound.

• Love 11

If a care giver starved a person in their care, they would be charged with neglect I imagine..so when they carry mountains of food to a bed bound morbidly obese person, and contribute to their early demise, why aren't they also charged with some crime? Bet it would stop at least some of the over feeding if they thought they would get a jail sentence out of it?

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Swiss said:

Good grief . Why didn't they sedate Lisa when she was having that meltdown in the hospital?  She gets to scream at the top of her lungs and everyone else in the ER has to listen to her?? 

Now she's getting really nasty towards Dr. Now.    Send her back to Alabama.  

This episode was shocking indeed.  Probably, the most dramatic one that I have seen.  There is discussion about Lisa's mental state, but, she had an array of mental health professionals consult with her and apparently, she is competent. That leads me to question if there are personality disorders involved.  She certainly does seem comfortable manipulating people.  

Did you notice how she was yelling in severe pain about her leg, but, soon after Dr. Now changed the subject, the leg pain seemed to suddenly subside.  I mean, if you leg hurts that much, I think I'd keep asking for pain relief and not resort to verbal sparring with my doctor and asking to leave.  What about the leg pain?  Did that suddenly stop?

Lisa displayed some pretty outrageous behavior in the ER.  Please advise YOUR opinion of it.  One reason it is so amusing to me, is that I know someone who does something pretty similar.  They are not obese, but, have other issues.  When I was watching her ER behavior, I was gobsmacked! I thought, OMG.  This is just like ----------.  Blew my mind.  So, am I crazy, is that behavior very OFF?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Someone in the live chat suggested that Herbert was choosing Lisa over homelessness, possibly.  That's the only thing that makes sense to me:  he literally has no other options.  Or maybe he's on the run from the mafia?

Uh, did we not see the not so subtle hints about what Lisa does for him in order to get what SHE wants?  It was repeated in more than one way, and I am guessing he gets at least  some kind of sexual needs met by her. 

11 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I think Danielle knows all about her mothers games and has had enough. Lisa talks about how nasty her mother was but clearly the apple did not fall far from the tree.

But yet, she claims that her mother dying absolutely wrecked her world. Whereas when the dad, who had always been there for Lisa, her grief over him seemed to be not so much. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Lisa displayed some pretty outrageous behavior in the ER.  Please advise YOUR opinion of it.  One reason it is so amusing to me, is that I know someone who does something pretty similar.  They are not obese, but, have other issues.  When I was watching her ER behavior, I was gobsmacked! I thought, OMG.  This is just like ----------.  Blew my mind.  So, am I crazy, is that behavior very OFF?

It is classic manipulation behavior.  People resort to that kind of crap for attention and to get people to do what they want them to do.  

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

If a care giver starved a person in their care, they would be charged with neglect I imagine..so when they carry mountains of food to a bed bound morbidly obese person, and contribute to their early demise, why aren't they also charged with some crime? Bet it would stop at least some of the over feeding if they thought they would get a jail sentence out of it?

That sounds difficult to prosecute.  I don't know that I would want people worrying about going to jail for feeding someone non-poisonous food.  I feel like the first scenario is active neglect and withholding of a basic human need, and would be prosecuted as "criminally negligent homicide".  It's also a malicious act.  The enablers who overfeed these patients are doing it because the patient is verbally abusive and the enabler is a beleaguered and tired person caught in a bad place.  Most people don't like conflict, and would sooner appease a hostile person than try to negotiate with that person.  Therefore, prosecuting a person who fed another person to death would be kicking a person while he's down.  You may disagree, but I think the public and a jury would not.  It's a losing proposition for any prosecutor.

• Love 11

Long time lurker, but this episode brought me out to comment.  What a piece of work Lisa was.  It was interesting how her demeanor and voice would change when she first started working with Dr. Now, especially on the Skype call.  But the minute that call was over, she was all about the Coke and she shifted back to her regular voice.  It was sad that she wasn't even able to sit up in bed.  I don't see how eating lying on your back is possible.  In regards to her scene in the ER screaming about her pain, I got a vibe that she was looking for pain meds.  But then again, I may have watched too many episodes of Intervention.  My biggest fear is that she would/will guilt Danielle into quitting her job to take care of her.  And like many of you, I was appalled that they had her young grandson in there helping clean and move totally naked grandma like it was no big thing. 

• Love 19
9 hours ago, ThisGirlAsh said:

Can someone answer, what was it with the cheese in the rice?  I've never heard of that before.  Is that like a poor man's mac and cheese or a southern thing?

I didn't see them put American cheese in the rice (yuck) and I've never put cheese in rice on my own, but I've certainly had cheddar broccoli rice from a mix.  Why is this such a surprise to people? Was it the way they made it?

• Love 9
4 hours ago, missnoa said:

I honestly don't know who treats people worse, Steven or Lisa. Hot damn. Her mother sounds like a real piece of work - all the crap she blamed Lisa for that wasn't her fault - but she's turned into someone just as nasty. And so dramatic too, I don't know how Dr. Now was keeping a straight face. She went from crying hysterically to being threatening with him cause he saw right through her.

Lisa's mother is not here to tell her side of what went on. And don't forget we have seen Lisa LYING, so what else is she lying about?

• Love 18

I have not been on this forum this whole season, but this Lisa episode was so shocking, I had to come back!  OMG!

AS SOON AS it started and I saw her attitude, I thought of that horrible Marla.  Remember her?  She was the first one I saw who aggressively disrespected Dr Now and told him how to treat her.  She refused all help and gave everyone attitude.  I wonder why they didn't kick Lisa out way earlier?  It was absolutely clear that she was not going to succeed.

Interesting that it was the daughter who found Dr Now, not Lisa herself.  Lisa probably never wanted help.  Too bad Dr Now did not even acknowledge to Danielle that she herself should become one of his patients.

What is with all the maggot comments?  I don't recall any maggots in this episode?  What did I miss?

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, aliya said:

I didn't see them put American cheese in the rice (yuck) and I've never put cheese in rice on my own, but I've certainly had cheddar broccoli rice from a mix.  Why is this such a surprise to people? Was it the way they made it?

Maybe.  She made a pot of rice and when it was done she laid layer after layer of processed slices of American Cheese on top.  Maybe if she had sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese or something it wouldn't have looked so disgusting, lol.

1 minute ago, Trees said:

What is with all the maggot comments?  I don't recall any maggots in this episode?  What did I miss?

Alabama native Lisa Fleming knew it was time to make a change when she found maggots in the folds of her skin. She had complained about pain in her leg, and when one of her daughters checked on her, they discovered the critters.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

It's delicious. I used to make it a lot. Now we don't bc low carb ;-) Oh, I live in the PNW.

Wait. It was sliced American cheese? Not shredded cheddar? Ewwwww.

PNW here, too, and I love cheddar on brown rice, but I usually add broccoli. (Oh, aren’t I FANCY?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I swear I am normal but I melt American cheese into rice. I do not understand the repulsion at this. It's not spaghetti and ketchup.  It's just 2 basic ingredients that taste good together. I don't know why putting shredded cheddar in the rice is somehow superior to American cheese slices. It's still shitty cheese. Bags of shredded cheddar that you buy at the supermarket is shitty processed cheese too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
38 minutes ago, seniorpatriot said:

Uh, did we not see the not so subtle hints about what Lisa does for him in order to get what SHE wants?  It was repeated in more than one way, and I am guessing he gets at least  some kind of sexual needs met by her. 

But surely he can find a non-maggot-ridden receptacle somewhere! I mean, I watch “Cops.” There are all manner of desperate people in this world that would accommodate Herburt for very little. Maybe he’d have to bust out a little more ice cream but some people will put out for simply a little human kindness.

I am being sarcastic about ice cream whores existing but seriously, a lot of people are just looking for some human connection and won’t expect you to clean their folds. Surely a shelter would be better than living with Lisa! 

• Love 13

I'm only 2/3rds through this episode... What the hell is wrong with this woman...? I've worked with 9 year olds with more maturity and respect than her.  The eye rolling and face making... when they were getting her out of her house the way she was talking and hollering to no one in particular, I wondered if she might have been drunk.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I swear I am normal but I melt American cheese into rice. I do not understand the repulsion at this. It's not spaghetti and ketchup.  It's just 2 basic ingredients that taste good together. I don't know why putting shredded cheddar in the rice is somehow superior to American cheese slices. It's still shitty cheese. Bags of shredded cheddar that you buy at the supermarket is shitty processed cheese too.

True, lol.   It just tastes better to me.  But then again - I only use shredded cheddar in certain recipes, and never on top of rice - so what do I know?  :D

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

That sounds difficult to prosecute.  I don't know that I would want people worrying about going to jail for feeding someone non-poisonous food.  I feel like the first scenario is active neglect and withholding of a basic human need, and would be prosecuted as "criminally negligent homicide".  It's also a malicious act.  The enablers who overfeed these patients are doing it because the patient is verbally abusive and the enabler is a beleaguered and tired person caught in a bad place.  Most people don't like conflict, and would sooner appease a hostile person than try to negotiate with that person.  Therefore, prosecuting a person who fed another person to death would be kicking a person while he's down.  You may disagree, but I think the public and a jury would not.  It's a losing proposition for any prosecutor.

Good points, but,  I do think there should be some accountability.  If the enabler/family member can say to the obese, bed bound relative, NO, I will not buy you that junk food, because I could be prosecuted, they may have more gall to be firm with the demanding person who is eating themselves to death.  I read that recently, prosecutors are criminally charging drug dealers who sell drugs to addicts, who take the drug and die from overdose. So, I think something should be explored to hold someone accountable, but, it comes down to who will provide care if the family doesn't.  The state, the county? Yes, it's all about tax payers. So, it's rather political.  I recall someone said around here, that sometimes, nature just has to take its course. And, with these patients, it may be that there is little to nothing than can really make a difference in their lives, due to their own actions, with the help of enablers. 

Which brings me back to a question I have about whether these super, morbidly obese patients are REALLY DYING early.  I did an online quiz that provides ESTIMATED length of life last night, after seeing Lisa.  lol Based on current info, I'm estimated to live to 90!  I did one for one family member I have who is very obese and it said 62.  That person is now in his twenties. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Those are her words. But between us, we know she's rewarding him for giving her food, by giving him sex.

Or is he giving her sex for the reward of letting him feed her?

Something else I've been thinking about. How many morbidly obese are in their homes, maybe bed bound, being cared for by family? It doesn't seem that the people on this show have home health aides, visiting nurses, or whatever, just enslaved family members, including children, who wipe down, grease up, and bathe the obese person. Not only is this a lot of work for people who aren't really trained to do it, but the obese person must be in pain that isn't being controlled because they aren't seeing healthcare practitioners, from dentists to dermatologists. What an awful way to live.

Edited by aliya
  • Love 7

What an episode! Her hoohah hanging out there for the world (and her freakin' grandson) to see.... maggots..... MAGGOTS for goodness sake! 

Herburt is slow, poor guy. He is being taken advantage of. Does he not have family?

Danielle could lose some weight but she works and gets around. I hope this opens her eyes and she gets healthy too. She really knew her mom's song and dance. Probably took the job because she knew that nothing would change. 

Lisa will eat herself to death. For some people there is no hope. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Trees said:

I have not been on this forum this whole season, but this Lisa episode was so shocking, I had to come back!  OMG!

AS SOON AS it started and I saw her attitude, I thought of that horrible Marla.  Remember her?  She was the first one I saw who aggressively disrespected Dr Now and told him how to treat her.  She refused all help and gave everyone attitude.  I wonder why they didn't kick Lisa out way earlier?  It was absolutely clear that she was not going to succeed.

Interesting that it was the daughter who found Dr Now, not Lisa herself.  Lisa probably never wanted help.  Too bad Dr Now did not even acknowledge to Danielle that she herself should become one of his patients.

It was in the very beginning, she was saying that is why her daughter has to 'check" her everyday, because one time they found maggotts in the folds of her legs. What I don't get is how an infection like that didn't kill her back then.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, HahYallDoin said:

What Lisa did is nothing new. She would 'center' herself and then lose it like she was a queen to be bowed down too. The head shaking, the rude tone she used to deliver her pissiness, the hand gestures, and the cry of 'don't come at me like that. Don't disrespect me. I am a lady.' 

All of the ladies are accessorizing with maggots and crotch carpets this season.  That’s why Queen Elizabeth II was at London Fashion Week. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Jazzhands said:

All of the ladies are accessorizing with maggots and crotch carpets this season.  That’s why Queen Elizabeth II was at London Fashion Week. 

That's because they go SO WELL with Lularoe!!!

• Love 11