Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Nothing is Set in Stone

• Start Topic

This show, and topic  seem to have tanked; you just don't see anything in the media about this anymore. I feel terrible for this kid. It's telling that Caitlyn Jenner and her show have disappeared from not only the media, but this site. If one wants to go this route, great! Maybe wait awhile before publicizing it?

Edited by Maricopa
5 hours ago, Maricopa said:

This show, and topic  seem to have tanked; you just don't see anything in the media about this anymore. I feel terrible for this kid. It's telling that Caitlyn Jenner and her show have disappeared from not only the media, but this site. If one wants to go this route, great! Maybe wait awhile before publicizing it?

The topic hasn't 'tanked', it's quiet because the season is over and we've all said about as much as we can regarding this train wreck of a show during the actual season.

I Am Cait is still listed here on PTV under the "I" shows, it's just not active because it was cancelled. As for Caitlyn Jenner, famewhore of the Kartrashian kind, she learned her trade from the best, and is fucking clueless when it comes to LGBTQ rights, as exhibited in many idiotic, out of touch comments Cait made on that show. IMO she is reviled for the person she is, not because of her transition. YMMV...

As for publicizing one's transition, I think Jenner did it for the attention and famewhoring and it backfired spectacularly on her, with good reason. I think Jazz did it initially to shine a light on the plight of children and young people who know very early on that they are transgender and what that means in their daily life, as well as their desire to transition. The main problem with Jazz is that it seems like both she and her family have A LOT of issues that are obvious to viewers but Jazz and her parents seem oblivious to them, so it's become a frustrating show because they're so fucked up that they aren't doing their cause justice anymore, rather the opposite in many ways.

• Love 5

I feel so bad for Jazz. She seems to be, emotionally, about 13 years old and unchanging, in a world full of adolescents and young adults who are maturing rapidly. What does the future really hold for her? I worry that, over time, we will discover that early use of puberty blockers also blocks all the brain maturation that leads to adulthood. I work with a lot of high school aged students and she seems so very young in comparison. The contrast between Jazz and Victoria is profound. Where does she go from here? She has said so many times that she has no sexual urges. Isn't that something that they should be exploring further before surgery? Not just "hey, kid, figure it out?" I'd love to hear that she dropped TLC, postponed the surgery, and decided to have a private life where she gave herself room to really discover herself and even experiment with going off the blockers for a bit. Just to be sure and maybe reap some of the benefits of natural puberty. The poor thing, I hate how people are treating her because of her weight. I myself had an eating disorder and it took years to move past it. She needs time, but I just feel that being on TLC prevents all of them from realizing that.

• Love 8
On 3/12/2018 at 12:24 AM, Luchy said:

I worry that, over time, we will discover that early use of puberty blockers also blocks all the brain maturation that leads to adulthood. I work with a lot of high school aged students and she seems so very young in comparison.

They've done at least 2 studies on girls (not transgender) who were given puberty blockers for a short period as they were going through early puberty. On average their IQ went down 8 points (7 points in the other study) in the year or so they took the blockers, in the most recent study 2 out of 15 who were given the drugs ended up being held back a year at school.

No one knows what being on these drugs for all of puberty does but if it has that effect on the brain in short term use, long term use can't be good for the brain. My guess is in the next few years studies will start to come out about what these drugs have done to trans kids put on them long term and the lawsuits will start. Parents are told by medical professionals that they're safe (despite 10k reports of adverse effects to the FDA and the growing evidence on what they do to joints etc in children that take it for precocious puberty https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/women-fear-drug-they-used-to-halt-puberty-led-to-health-problems), that they buy time to make decisions etc and then the fear of suicide probably makes the decision for them.

I'm in an endometriosis support group and anyone who has tried these GnRHas even as a adult has had such serious side effects that doing my research about them, I can't believe anyone would give them to children and claim that they're "safe". BTW, adults are advised to stay on them no more than 6 months because of the damage they do

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00044/full#B8

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11683207

• Love 5
On 3/14/2018 at 9:07 PM, maggiegil said:

They've done at least 2 studies on girls (not transgender) who were given puberty blockers for a short period as they were going through early puberty. On average their IQ went down 8 points (7 points in the other study) in the year or so they took the blockers, in the most recent study 2 out of 15 who were given the drugs ended up being held back a year at school.

No one knows what being on these drugs for all of puberty does but if it has that effect on the brain in short term use, long term use can't be good for the brain. My guess is in the next few years studies will start to come out about what these drugs have done to trans kids put on them long term and the lawsuits will start. Parents are told by medical professionals that they're safe (despite 10k reports of adverse effects to the FDA and the growing evidence on what they do to joints etc in children that take it for precocious puberty https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/women-fear-drug-they-used-to-halt-puberty-led-to-health-problems), that they buy time to make decisions etc and then the fear of suicide probably makes the decision for them.

I'm in an endometriosis support group and anyone who has tried these GnRHas even as a adult has had such serious side effects that doing my research about them, I can't believe anyone would give them to children and claim that they're "safe". BTW, adults are advised to stay on them no more than 6 months because of the damage they do

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00044/full#B8

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11683207

Thank you for this info, it enrages me no one has the guts to talk about this stuff for fear of being demonized. Where are we as a society when people are more afraid of being called a bigot than they are of supporting causing harm to a child's body and health?

Edited by janedi
  • Love 8