Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Meeting Mariah's Girlfriend

• Start Topic

Apparently they had no insurance, or since Kody was married legally only to Meri, if he had insurance from a job (imagine that!) he couldn't claim her as his child. 

As long as his name is on the birth certificate, he can claim him/her on the insurance.  I used to work with a guy who had a baby with his girlfriend and he put the kid on the insurance.  Six months later girlfriend tells him it isn't his kid.  Paternity test is taken and this proves to be true.  It was another six months before the insurance company could remove the kid from his coverage because it took that long for the courts to get around to removing his name as the legal father on the birth certificate (and he still had to pay the "family" insurance premium instead of just for himself).  The day he got legal documentation that he was no longer responsible as the father, insurance immediately removed the child.  I have to say that for those six months were he was "on the hook", he took it pretty well.  He said none of it was the child's fault, and the child needed insurance because it was having some health issues, so he really didn't mind paying extra if that's what the law decreed.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Sandy W said:

If you mean the hormones in the mouth talk, I think that ship has already sailed, judging by the glow that Mariah radiates these days.

Haha, yeah, exactly. He clearly feels comfortable telling the hetero kids to abstain, because he can relate to them, but I think it would be hilarious to watch him trying to navigate through controlling a lesbian relationship. I just don't think he will even try. So Mariah and her GF are spared! 

11 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Interesting question!

Welcome aboard!

Thank you ginger90!

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Teri313 said:

Haha, yeah, exactly. He clearly feels comfortable telling the hetero kids to abstain, because he can relate to them, but I think it would be hilarious to watch him trying to navigate through controlling a lesbian relationship. I just don't think he will even try. So Mariah and her GF are spared! 

Thank you ginger90!

They can’t get pregnant from not abstaining, so he probably figures he’ll never have to know about it!

Although based on his hormones talk, he obviously has no idea how hetero intimacy works, so I doubt he has any clue about homo intimacy. I’m sure Christine and Robyn have googled it though!

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, Sasha888 said:

On the subject of eyebrows....and this goes for pretty much for all of the women in this family who are old enough to wear make-up, they're all pretty bad - 

Your eyebrows are supposed to look like you grew 'em, not like you drew 'em!

Put down the Sharpies and buy some quality brow products. And find someone to teach you how to use them. Please, ladies...do it for all of us whose eyes are burning after watching your show.

LOL

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Teri313 said:

Thank you ginger90!

He can watch the South Park episodes where Mr. Garrison had a sex change and learned about "Scissoring". :D

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/23/2018 at 9:28 PM, neh said:

Thanks for the video.  Gosh, Meri was awful from the beginning.  She isolated herself from the beginning. Hey, do you think that she was cooking catfish!

Maybe sometimes it’s just too hard for her to watch Kody slobbering over another woman, or interacting with the kids she (Meri) was unable to have. I know I would have to go on blackout periodically. Also because I am an introvert and sometimes crowds - even of loved ones - are too much for me. I get the impression Meri is an introvert. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 6

The older kids have said Meri spent time with them when they were younger. I think it is a combination of them living in separate houses, Robyn and Christine moving in family members to help with the kids, and the divorce. She knows she isn’t wanted so why try?

• Love 6
On 2/24/2018 at 8:58 PM, Roslyn said:

And yes...that legal marriage was very very important to Meri.  She was a mess during that reenactment of the signing of the divorce papers and very ill the morning of.  Yes.  She did have her marriage certificate on her bedroom wall.  In the scene where she was in bed with the injury from skiing and Christine comes to ask her advice on dealing with Kody...the one where Meri tells Christine to suck it up and keep sweet (paraphrasing...).  The camera just captures it on the wall next to her bed, framed.  Yea...you don't do that when your legal marriage is meaningless.  I was barely able to catch a frame on the video and crop it enough to just make out the "marriage certificate" at the top.

SW1.thumb.jpg.8e0878e2c8638d72823b74fe108b59bf.jpg

My opinion is not a popular one, but it's mine - nonetheless.  I believe Kody was SOOOO wrapped up in Robyn and I believe Robyn wanted to be the legal wife - for whatever reasons.  Doesn't really matter what her reasons were.  I believe they told Meri it was for the children, knowing meri has a soft spot for kids.  I also believe that divorcing Kody was devastating to her.  It was obvious that Kody had eyes for NO ONE except Robyn for years.  NO ONE.  I think Meri was miserable and lonely and was vulnerable to J.O.'s sick perverted games because she wanted to be loved.  It is a human basic need - to be loved.  I'm not excusing Meri's behavior or choices - I'm just saying I think that's what happened.   Kody was done with Meri either before Robyn came into the picture or right after - and with the catfishing fiasco he was totally through with her.  There is no going back now.

• Love 12

Regarding the divorce - if Meri didn't action it, Kody would have. It just looks better if Meri does it and they probably convinced her that she would get a good edit from appearing to be selfless. Also Kody probably told her it wouldn't change anything. 

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Regarding the divorce - if Meri didn't action it, Kody would have. It just looks better if Meri does it and they probably convinced her that she would get a good edit from appearing to be selfless. Also Kody probably told her it wouldn't change anything. 

I'm pretty sure he said something like that on camera.  The sad kicker is that for Kody nothing changed.  He went on with his life as usual, except he did have another vacation with Robyn...

But something deep changed in Meri.  It was the biggest of dills to her and that was a major break inside her. Everything changed.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

The older kids have said Meri spent time with them when they were younger. I think it is a combination of them living in separate houses, Robyn and Christine moving in family members to help with the kids, and the divorce. She knows she isn’t wanted so why try?

I do think having live in nannies for the kids was a slap in the face to Meri. I’m sure it wasn’t intentional, and she likely didn’t want to step up. But with all the talk about them being “our” kids etc. they should have just said “Meri, we need you to step up and help, you are one of their mothers.” I know it wasn’t the other SW’s job to do that, but if it had been done years ago when Mariah stopped needing her as much, the whole course of the family might have changed for the better. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

My opinion is not a popular one, but it's mine - nonetheless.  I believe Kody was SOOOO wrapped up in Robyn and I believe Robyn wanted to be the legal wife - for whatever reasons.  Doesn't really matter what her reasons were.  I believe they told Meri it was for the children, knowing meri has a soft spot for kids.  I also believe that divorcing Kody was devastating to her.  It was obvious that Kody had eyes for NO ONE except Robyn for years.  NO ONE.  I think Meri was miserable and lonely and was vulnerable to J.O.'s sick perverted games because she wanted to be loved.  It is a human basic need - to be loved.  I'm not excusing Meri's behavior or choices - I'm just saying I think that's what happened.   Kody was done with Meri either before Robyn came into the picture or right after - and with the catfishing fiasco he was totally through with her.  There is no going back now.

If you go to the Darkwife thread you will find that it is quite a popular opinion.  Nobody bought the "It's for the chillllllldren" story.  One opinion is Robyn said no more babies unless I'm the legal wife.  There are some rag mag articles that say the same thing.  It's in the Darkwife thread and the divorce episode thread.  If you watch the episode when Meri starts to talk divorce it's pretty obvious she was heartbroken.   You may have to do some digging, but if you're interested it's worth a look.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, toodles said:

If you go to the Darkwife thread you will find that it is quite a popular opinion.  Nobody bought the "It's for the chillllllldren" story.  One opinion is Robyn said no more babies unless I'm the legal wife.  There are some rag mag articles that say the same thing.  It's in the Darkwife thread and the divorce episode thread.  If you watch the episode when Meri starts to talk divorce it's pretty obvious she was heartbroken.   You may have to do some digging, but if you're interested it's worth a look.

Thank you Toodles, but your summary was enough.   I started looking through the catfish thread and watched some J.O. catfish stuff on Youtube and I felt gross and had to quit.  J.O. is such a SICK individual.  I don't really feel sorry for Meri about the catfish crap, but I DO about the divorce.  I think that was the absolute end - just like a divorce for a monogamous couple.  They are finished, IMO.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Thank you Toodles, but your summary was enough.   I started looking through the catfish thread and watched some J.O. catfish stuff on Youtube and I felt gross and had to quit.  J.O. is such a SICK individual.  I don't really feel sorry for Meri about the catfish crap, but I DO about the divorce.  I think that was the absolute end - just like a divorce for a monogamous couple.  They are finished, IMO.

I appreciate your opinion, but I still can't help but feel that the divorce was Meri's doing. The timelines are unclear to me, but I think she wanted an out and the ability to have a clean break if and when things got to that point with "Sam". 

That's not to say that Kody was blameless - he even has admitted several times that he did not help to take care of their relationship. They both let it flounder, and let things fester. And I fully agree with everyone that Robyn was thrilled to get that legal wife status. 

I could be totally wrong. The bottom line is that the idea of Meri and Kody divorcing and Kody and Robyn marrying started somewhere; someone voiced that idea first, and we really just don't know who. Someone needs to write a tell-all!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I appreciate your opinion, but I still can't help but feel that the divorce was Meri's doing. The timelines are unclear to me, but I think she wanted an out and the ability to have a clean break if and when things got to that point with "Sam". 

That's not to say that Kody was blameless - he even has admitted several times that he did not help to take care of their relationship. They both let it flounder, and let things fester. And I fully agree with everyone that Robyn was thrilled to get that legal wife status. 

I could be totally wrong. The bottom line is that the idea of Meri and Kody divorcing and Kody and Robyn marrying started somewhere; someone voiced that idea first, and we really just don't know who. Someone needs to write a tell-all!

I've said this before but the divorce and remarriage occured in Sept and Dec 2014. Meri hadn't met JO yet and Sam started in March 2015.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I've said this before but the divorce and remarriage occured in Sept and Dec 2014. Meri hadn't met JO yet and Sam started in March 2015.

Thank you! That shoots down my theory then, lol. And kind of makes me feel a bit sorry for Meri. But just a bit, because she did agree to the divorce, and it's still possible she could have been the one to suggest it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Thank you! That shoots down my theory then, lol. And kind of makes me feel a bit sorry for Meri. But just a bit, because she did agree to the divorce, and it's still possible she could have been the one to suggest it.

It's possible... but you could SEE the heartbreak on her face, and Kody was ALL about Robyn to the exclusion of everyone else at the time... and Robyn wanted to be the legal wife - I would bet money on that.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

It's possible... but you could SEE the heartbreak on her face, and Kody was ALL about Robyn to the exclusion of everyone else at the time... and Robyn wanted to be the legal wife - I would bet money on that.

Part of me wonders if the heartbreak we saw on her face was the actual realization that Kody was done with her.   In her twisted mind she might have thought she would earn some credits by allowing the divorce being a martyr etc.    They had struggled for years (admitted so on the show from season 1) and I think he was over her.   He had his shiny new wife and was no longer willing to put up with her passive aggressive bullshit any longer.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

2 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Part of me wonders if the heartbreak we saw on her face was the actual realization that Kody was done with her.   In her twisted mind she might have thought she would earn some credits by allowing the divorce being a martyr etc.    They had struggled for years (admitted so on the show from season 1) and I think he was over her.   He had his shiny new wife and was no longer willing to put up with her passive aggressive bullshit any longer.

5aa01c107cd18_meridivorce2.thumb.jpg.700298aecf1242d66f14cdc62e1c3e57.jpg

Keeping in mind that NO ONE ever believed this was filmed as it actually happened because they kept mum on the divorce and TLC/film production didn't know.  There was a social media post by the editors about last minute scramble to edit the show just prior to this airing and most likely this was a reenactment of the "signing". Meri wasn't walking well and talked of an upset stomach and dizzy spells and her body language is pulled in. While the camera zooms in on a "emotional" Robyn it all has that put on tearless/screwed up chin act that she has perfected. As the scene ends Robyn spews the show's branded mantra of "no other woman will know how I feel because of this, because of this life I live..." (stick to the back of your head eyeroll....)

5aa01d4809dca_meridivorce1.jpg.ab1d2f725cc2a75d4469cb29b693a407.jpg

5aa01d617f895_meridivorce3.thumb.jpg.f4e76519368b78adf2142c2703d72ee6.jpg

When "it's time to sign" Meri tries hard to hide her face from the cameras, but it's apparent what her feelings are. This "meaningless piece of paper" had a whole lot of meaning to her, even during a reenactment months later.

• Love 9
On 2/19/2018 at 1:05 AM, DragonFaerie said:

So I will give Maddie and Mylketi a pass on the dyed hair.  As a kid, my father would NOT allow anything other than lemon juice on our hair if we wanted to "enhance" it. My mother had honey colored hair as a teen and young adult and then it darkened to brown.  She always referred to it as Mouse or Rat brown.  I would, as a child, tell her to dye it or highlight it, since she didn't like it.  My father would scowl and my mother would very "properly" tell me, good girls don't dye their hair.  Once I left home I had my hair almost every color - Malfoy blonde, red, magenta, burgandy, purple striped - you name it, I may have had it.  As I got older and cut my hair short my hairdresser always tells me what great color I have - a brown with highlights of gold and auburn.  I look at it and see my mother's rat brown hair - my emotionally, mentally and physically abusive mother and can't wait to dye it another color.  

It may be that dyeing their hair is just a way of breaking from the household.  It may be a way of expressing their individuality.  And they are young.  Part of being young is experimenting with different things then you grew up with, even if they don't work out.

Hugs @DragonFaerie

• Love 6