Type keyword(s) to search

Everything Sucks - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved the black X on Kate's hand at the concert. Such a throwback to being underaged. 

I'm just a hair older than these kids (graduated in '94), but I am enjoying the nostalgia of this show. 

• Love 2

I thought this was cute enough.  I went to school at the right time but honestly my childhood is a blank slate so I don’t remember too much of it.   The only character I really liked was Kate.  Her coming out/coming of age Story was probably the only thing I really liked about the show.  Other then that....it was ok.

• Love 1

I graduated HS in 1996 so this was so familiar to my experience. Especially the music! It's always the music that brings you back. I loved and still love Tori Amos so that whole episode was amazing. I can't really say anything that hasn't been said here already. Cute show.

• Love 1

I really liked this show, I thought it was very well done. I graduated high school in 1996, and didn't feel hit over the head by the 90s references. I ended up liking most of the characters by the end, but I especially got attached to Luke, Kate's dad, and Tyler (someone give that kid a hug!). I feel like I'm alone in not loving the Kate/Emaline relationship? It was definitely cute, and I liked the turnaround from Emaline being so terrible in the beginning, but I also feel like they were really foreshadowing some issues with Emaline. Her complete transformation from Oliver's girlfriend to Kate's girlfriend (different hair, different clothes, matching nose piercings) struck me as more obsessive than sweet, if also suuuuuper true to the high school experience.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaLove said:

Kate reminds me of a female Gaten Matarazzo

Me, too! I had to look up to see if they were siblings (they aren't). Tyler also reminds me of someone, but I'm not sure who. (Maybe a young Max Perlich?)

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, strippedhalo said:

Tyler also reminds me of someone, but I'm not sure who

He reminded me of someone too, but then I figured out it was my friend Alicia, so unless we know each other IRL, I don't think that would give you a "Aha!" moment. :-)

4 minutes ago, strippedhalo said:

I graduated high school in 1996

95 here, and the jeans really brought me back, as did Emaline's "Gwenabee" look (I had a friend who was one of the original Gwenabees...started copying her right before they hit with Tragic Kingdom). 

On 2/23/2018 at 10:07 PM, KaleyFirefly said:

I am nostalgic about a lot of 90s music. In spite of the soundtrack, though, this show just didn't feel "90s" to me. I graduated high school in 1990. These kids didn't seem to dress, talk or act like anyone I knew in high school.

Not to be annoying, but if you graduated in 1990, you and your classmates would've been kids of the 80s, not the 90s. 

I was 15 in 1996 (in fact, the show literally starts the day before my 15th birthday!) and in my experience, the show was pretty spot-on, and that's coming from someone that barely had any friends. So mileage may vary, as always, but it felt amazingly 90s to me.

In other news, I loved so much of the music, but I am still not over the perfection that was the use of Pink Triangle.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2018 at 3:31 PM, strippedhalo said:

I feel like I'm alone in not loving the Kate/Emaline relationship? It was definitely cute, and I liked the turnaround from Emaline being so terrible in the beginning, but I also feel like they were really foreshadowing some issues with Emaline. Her complete transformation from Oliver's girlfriend to Kate's girlfriend (different hair, different clothes, matching nose piercings) struck me as more obsessive than sweet, if also suuuuuper true to the high school experience.

You're not alone. Finished binge watching it this past weekend and have been meaning to come post this very thing. I don't think Emmaline will go all stalker/psycho (at least I hope not. That'd be a little too soap opera-ish) but I definitely got the impression that she's someone who doesn't really know who she is and transforms into whatever fits the person she currently likes. So when she was with Oliver, she was this over the top, dramatic, angsty person to match his whole faux-broodiness, wannabe "Rebel Without A Cause" schtick. As soon as she started liking Kate, her look began to match hers. I'll even go so far as to say I'm not really sure Emaline is necessarily into girls so much as she fell for Kate because she made her feel amazing and beautiful and special, after Oliver essentially made her feel like shit. I definitely got a low confidence, figuring out who she really is, vibe from Emmaline. 

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, Samsnee said:

This wasn’t the best show but it had a certain charm. But I guess being just ok isn’t good enough these days.

Yep. 

I was actually shocked and saddened to read the news today. I was really looking forward to that second season and seeing what would happened with damn CLIFFHANGER. It could have made for a really interesting second season.
Crap, I really liked this one. If that damn Disjointed got two seasons, at least Everything Sucks could have. I mean, it couldn't be THAT expensive to produce, those kids don't make a big paycheck I'd wager.
RIP Everything Sucks. You were one of the good ones.  Will have to do a rewatch one day.

• Love 2
On 2/28/2018 at 7:57 PM, festivus said:

That cracked me up.

Okay so I've rolled a house or two in my day and yeah, you don't buy Charmin. You buy the Kroger Cost Cutter, 99 cents a four pack! Otherwise, that scene was pretty funny. I've been there, laughing in the bushes.

The average person would buy the cheapest toilet paper to TP someone’s house. But since this is a tv show,I just assumed charmin sponsored it for product placement.  

• Love 1

Emmaline was asking other girls in the locker room to feel her boobs in the very first episode, and she and Kate were doing the "lesbian eye contact" thing I don't know how to describe to any non-lesbians, but it's a thing and they nailed it. So I took Emmaline's attraction to Kate as sincere, and her relationship with Oliver as an act of bravado/insecurity.

I really liked this show. It didn't always give me what I wanted, especially with regard to the falling apart of the Luke-McQuaid-Tyler friendships, but even the parts I didn't like I respected-- because it hurts, but it's real and it's not wrong to show it.

Let's jam.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just found out about this show, binged it, and am crushed that it's already been cancelled! How do they expect shows to succeed if they aren't well-publicized?

I know....this is the show I have been telling everyone I know to watch.  Apparently, I don't know enough people.  Sigh....

• Love 2
On 3/9/2018 at 12:01 PM, CaliforniaLove said:

I don't have anything to add. I enjoyed this & would like to see another season, but I was a little distracted once it hit me that Kate reminds me of a female Gaten Matarazzo. I just couldn't unsee it!

Yes! I never finished watching the show but I came here to read this thread to see how it ended. I saw the resemblance in the very first episode and went so far as to look it up to see if it was his sister. So distracting! 

Sydney Sweeney (Emaline) has a recurring role on The Handmaid's Tale. She plays Eden, the new wife of Nick.

She also has a role in the new HBO series Sharp Objects starring Amy Adams. It begins airing on July 8. Patricia Clarkson, Chris Messina, Elizabeth Perkins, and Will Chase are also series regulars.

On 2/23/2018 at 2:24 PM, paulvdb said:

Super cute, but man, the exchange "Were you alive in the 90's?" ...  "Not by a long shot!"  made me want to fling my 47-year-old self on the floor and cry.  I graduated from high school about a decade before most of you (1987), but I fondly (and sometimes not-so-fondly) remember being in my mid-20's and trying to grow into a fully-realized adult.  [Update:  still working on that :)  ]  This show took me back, and let's face it, high school never really ends, and most people aren't comfortable in their own skin for years after graduation.  

And the music!!  

On 4/6/2018 at 9:22 PM, OtterMommy said:

Oh, balls.

Sydney Sweeney's first appearance on Sharp Objects was this week (S1.E3). Technically she was seen in previous episodes via very quick cut flashbacks but we didn't actually know anything about her character or hear her speak until this episode.

According to Holland, Everything Sucks! didn’t have enough people watching it through to the end. This suggests that enough people started it but didn’t stick with it.

Retention rates for Netflix are extremely important, knowing that viewing figures tend to drop between the seasons anyway. If there was already a large drop in the first season, Netflix knew the drop could be bigger for Everything Sucks! season 2 so chose not to risk it.

That's unfortunate, but I get it. It didn't have lots of sexy rapes and suicides like the popular teen shows so I guess the thrill-seekers wandered off.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

That's unfortunate, but I get it. It didn't have lots of sexy rapes and suicides like the popular teen shows so I guess the thrill-seekers wandered off.

I watched 13 Reasons Why, The End of the Fucking World, and other teen shows on Netflix, but I also binge watched Everything Sucks over two or three days. I can't speak for the thrill seekers, but I didn't wander off! Apparently there weren't enough of us.

• Love 5