Type keyword(s) to search

Breaking News: Spoilers and Speculations

Glad to see Joe Regalbuto is coming back. The friendship between Murphy and Frank was one of the things I always liked best about this show. The reboot wouldn't have been the same without it. 

• Love 6

CBS fall TV 2018 schedule

The revival of “Murphy Brown” will close out the Thursday comedy block, which is otherwise unchanged. Kahl says he expects a good-sized audience for the show’s premiere but hopes putting it behind three well-established shows will keep it from “fading out” later in the season.

(edited)

That got me fired up for it, and I like that they included Phyllis and "the new guy."  They were all great, especially Murphy.  "... and then we had an election."  I also love the bit about pissed off vice presidents.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

Good trailer...but it took me a moment to even recognize Candice Bergen. Still, the trailer interested me which is more than can be said for practically any other offering. So we'll see!

While it is nice to see Tyne Daly there, too...wasn't Phil's WIFE named Phyllis in the original? Oh, well. Minor nitpick! I miss seeing Jim Dial (Charles Kimbrough), though, even though I get he's up there now in age.

• Love 2

and then we had an election

LOL. My biggest concern is that Murphy/Candice will not be able to get the lines out quickly enough. The rapid fire dialogue was her specialty and I hope that age hasn't taken that away.

57 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

While it is nice to see Tyne Daly there, too...wasn't Phil's WIFE named Phyllis in the original?

Yes, and at least one of their kids was named Phil, too. 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Vanity Fair article:

Murphy Brown Is Coming Back Sooner Than We Thought—And with a Twist

Kind of disappointed to read that

Hide contents

Avery is going to be a conservative commentator on Fox.

Spoiler

Wow. I wonder if his mom will convince him to jump ship ;).

Really enjoyed the preview! Everyone is in character. And Frank lmao. What a doofus. Loved seeing Miles and Corky. Murphy is still awesome. Phil's sister is good too.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:49 PM, AriAu said:

LOL. My biggest concern is that Murphy/Candice will not be able to get the lines out quickly enough. The rapid fire dialogue was her specialty and I hope that age hasn't taken that away.

I'm not too concerned there. Saw a preview of that new comedy she's in (Book Club) and she still seems to be able to deliver those kinds of lines just fine.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 6
(edited)

I love this...

There’s so much excitement surrounding the return of Murphy Brown. How does that feel? It's just weird. Obviously, Diane English and I are thrilled. There's just a great buzz about it, and we're just going to make the best Murphy that we can. We've been given so much by this administration, so we don't want to squander it.

In its first incarnation, the show didn’t shy away from controversial topics, like abortion. Can we expect that no-holds-barred approach this time around? We plan on shrinking from nothing.

http://www.instyle.com/news/candice-bergen-book-club-sex-aging

Source: instyle

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 5
(edited)

At least Avery isn't working for Murphy (nor did he get his job based on her connections).  

ETA:  Anyone think the "new" Avery has anything to do with "lookism?"  Haley Joel Osment isn't exactly conventionally..."hot."  

Trailer: 

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 4

I really like the idea that

Spoiler
On 5/17/2018 at 12:46 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Avery is going to be a conservative commentator on Fox.

because there is so much opportunity for snark about what are facts and what aren't.

• Love 3
On 5/17/2018 at 3:08 AM, The Crazed Spruce said:

Is it too early to call this my favourite show of the new season?

On 5/27/2018 at 4:14 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I am so looking forward to this! I didn't even know it was in the works, until I saw a post on Jake McDorman's instagram the other night. 

On 5/31/2018 at 10:51 PM, ParadoxLost said:

This

This makes me so happy.  Jake McDorman can bounce of this cast.

CBS, you better work Headquarters! into the name of his news show,  You owe Limitless fans that.

I loved Limitless. 

On 7/19/2018 at 4:14 PM, statsgirl said:

I really like the idea that

Reveal hidden contents

because there is so much opportunity for snark about what are facts and what aren't.

#neverforgetwhatneverhappened

• Love 1

Update on Murphy Brown: Jim is going to be in three episodes!  :)

She put off writing it for about nine months. She made sure cast members Bergen (Murphy), Joe Regalbuto (investigative reporter Frank Fontana), Grant Shaud (producer Miles Silverberg), Faith Ford (lifestyles reporter Corky Sherwood) and Charles Kimbrough (anchor Jim Dial) were available before putting them in the pilot script.

They all agreed to return, though Kimbrough will be in only three of the 13 episodes because he lives in Los Angeles and the show is filmed in New York City. Tyne Daly is one of the new cast members as Phyllis, the sister of bartender Phil played by the late Pat Corley.

Source:  https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/04/diane-english-feels-timing-is-right-for-return-of-murphy-brown/

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a22639448/murphy-brown-cast-reboot-candice-bergen/

More about the reboot!

Source: good housekeeping

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And more information about the first couple of episodes.

That all sounds great; I'm really excited for this.

And I, too, am glad they didn't go down the tired "child of a hippie liberal rebels by being conservative" path with Avery (they did that already with McGovern, anyway).

• Love 2
On 7/5/2018 at 5:12 PM, PRgal said:

ETA:  Anyone think the "new" Avery has anything to do with "lookism?"  Haley Joel Osment isn't exactly conventionally..."hot."  

Honestly though, I buy Jake McDorman being Candice's son before I'd buy Haley Joel Osment.

And Haley seems to have grown up into a really quirky guy. They might have wanted to go for more of an All-American guy type, which Jake does pretty well.

CBS also might have wanted to give Jake another chance. Limitless was a great show that just couldn't get the audience it needed.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

Speculation: I would love for a an episode that's an April Fool's Day prank war between Avery and Murphy. She has years of experience "I taught him everything he knows, but not everything I know." He has the ability to do stuff with technology she can't even imagine. It could be a fantastic episode. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Now that Les Moonves is out at CBS, I wonder if they will address that on this show. I hope they do. I mean they don't have to name names but it would be interesting if they do. After all, FYI is supposed to be a CBS show.

My understanding is that they will be covering #MeToo and I think this story would fall under that larger umbrella. They will be dealing with the larger/overall issue, but not this specific case. 

2 hours ago, Liquid6 said:

I'm curious to see if they'll do an Aretha tribute episode seeing as how Murphy was a such a huge fan.

Shortly after I heard about Aretha's death I had the same thought. If Murphy were real, she would be devestated. Don Lemon devoted his entire show to Aretha Franklin that night. It was a fantastic tribute to a legend 

I've been watching the reruns on Antenna TV, and now I'm jonesing for the return of Christopher Rich as news dolt Miller Redfield - this time as the clueless longtime star of the #1 show on the conservative Wolf Network in the Murphyverse. Since Avery is going to be working for Wolf, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to make that happen...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Liquid6 said:

I'm curious to see if they'll do an Aretha tribute episode seeing as how Murphy was a such a huge fan.

I don't think they'll devote an episode to it, because the series will be dealing with current events and by the time we get past the few episodes already in the can to the ones to be filmed, and with a short turnaround, Queen Aretha's death will be "old news" - plus, they have a limited number of episodes, period, and a whole hell of a lot to cover - but I'll be stunned if they don't address her death and honor her legacy/impact on Murphy in some way.

• Love 2

Given that the 1988 pilot started with the music of "Respect," I wonder if the first episode next week will also start with that song (if CBS is willing to pay the royalties again). That would be a nice tribute as well. Similar to how the last episode in 1998 also ended with Murphy singing "Natural Woman" like in the pilot to bring it full circle.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2018 at 11:39 PM, giovannif7 said:

I've been watching the reruns on Antenna TV, and now I'm jonesing for the return of Christopher Rich as news dolt Miller Redfield - this time as the clueless longtime star of the #1 show on the conservative Wolf Network in the Murphyverse. 

I don't see Miller on cable news. I see Miller on a network morning show, or daytime/afternoon television. There's just somethig about Miller that strikes me as more network than cable. Remeber the episode with the afternoon talk show Dick and Dottie? I could totally see Miller on something like that. I'd love for Miller to pop in for a few episodes. 

On 9/22/2018 at 2:52 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I don't see Miller on cable news. I see Miller on a network morning show, or daytime/afternoon television. There's just somethig about Miller that strikes me as more network than cable. Remeber the episode with the afternoon talk show Dick and Dottie? I could totally see Miller on something like that. I'd love for Miller to pop in for a few episodes. 

Yeah, but it's just that kind of vapidity that would make him perfect as one of the hosts of the Wolf Network's answer to "Fox and Friends". Or even as a prime-time pundit.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

it's just that kind of vapidity that would make him perfect as one of the hosts of the Wolf Network's answer to "Fox and Friends". Or even as a prime-time pundit.

I can totally see him on the Wolf Network's version of Fox and Friends, especially because there would be co-hosts and he wouldn't have to carry the show himself. He would be great at asking questions to the other co-hosts to get things going. He wouldn't need strong views. I can't see him as a prime-time pundit because there is a certain amount of intelligence needed for that type of position and he lacks it. Pundits need to have strong opinions for thier show to work, and I don't see that as Miller.