Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S02.E11 Go Pirates!: What Kind Of Man Were You Planning On Being?

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

I still go back and read your TWoP recaps for Dawson's Creek from time to time, I love them so much. I remember in the recap for the series finale, there's a scene where Dawson, Joey, and Pacey are in a car after they find out Jen is dying, and Pacey cracks a The Triangle (TM) joke. Dawson says it's the most inappropriate thing he could have said, and you or Tara proceeded to list all the tasteless jokes he could have made instead. I still shake my fist and shout "Why aorta..." because of it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I still go back and read your TWoP recaps for Dawson's Creek from time to time, I love them so much. I remember in the recap for the series finale, there's a scene where Dawson, Joey, and Pacey are in a car after they find out Jen is dying, and Pacey cracks a The Triangle (TM) joke. Dawson says it's the most inappropriate thing he could have said, and you or Tara proceeded to list all the tasteless jokes he could have made instead. I still shake my fist and shout "Why aorta..." because of it.

I still read those too!  They are hilarious. The various descriptions of the theme song are top notch. There are far more episodes I've read than I ever watched. Side note, I also read the recaps of the deplorable 7th Heaven for entertainment purposes.  I'm so sad they never recapped the "The Magic of Gershwin" episode.

Tab is readily available in our grocery stores. I made my family drink it the day we watched an Astronaut Wives Club marathon.

Of course there are holes you could drive a truck through with the Duncan kidnapping story but I still love this episode.  I love Lucy Lawless in it.  "Team. Me. Team. Me."

• Love 1

As a long-time lurker, I waited for someone else to post this, but I'm diving on in.  The scene between Veronica and Keith, which ends with Keith saying "I don't know how I'll ever trust you again" (one of my favourite scenes between them in the entire series, two fine actors absolutely killing it) happened just before the FBI arrived at Casa Mars with a search warrant.  There's a nice moment when the FBI open THE cupboard (where the hole had been) and KB's face registers, "oh shit, I forgot about that hole", then a flicker as she realises her dad has repaired it.  I heard or read an interview with Rob Thomas about that scene which says a lot about the strictures of making a weekly TV show and its non-linear nature.  Now it's a while since I heard/read this (I can't even remember which, it could even have been audio commentary on the DVD.  Don't judge me) but what he said was something like: he had been directing this episode, and when he directed that "you played ME, Veronica" scene, he immediately knew he was in trouble.  The actors had given that scene much more punch than he had expected, really lifted it off the page.  The next episode was already written and a lot of it was already shot, and he realised he had not revisited the emotions played in this scene because the actors had taken it to a level he had not anticipated. Thank you Sarah and John, I'm loving the podcasts.  They even inspired a binge rewatch during a recent bout of pneumonia. 

• Love 3

However this does explain the big question from the last episode, where was Duncan and wouldn't Veronica hang out with her boyfriend over the holidays. Duncan is clearly at home with Astrid and his mother's earrings  and Veronica is planning his escape and their eventual public breakup. I So, mystery solved. A lot of things could go wrong in this plot and a really loud baby next to the Mars residence would be a really bad thing for Veronica and Keith, or a sick baby, or the landlord coming in to check the pipes. Still, weird out there plan works, okay, then what? How does a teenage boy get away with an infant (who will need supplies and medical care). It has to be all over every paper in the world, after all, and said teenage boy has not a whole lot of money if he's selling earrings (unless that is only to get him across the border) Weidman? Jake? I wonder if we'd find out if the show ran for seven seasons. 

Logan is really being a petty little bitch at the beginning of the show and he really reminded me of Madison.. Oh it is in character.  We know he has been bullying Veronica consistently, because she is playing him in this episode. . She knows he will attack her in private and then tell Dick, so Dick can spread the word publicly. She knew she could rely on his behavior. Logan has had character growth, he has learned to bully without looking bad in public and involving the school counselor. Jackass Logan is gone.

Spoiler

Welcome to the one who, knowing Veronica wants to have a college social life, has a huge party for Parker and insists Veronica come and see the sappy cake.

Logan gets another big hit and he never knows what hit him because he hasn't been paying any real attention to his friends.  

Spoiler

I always figured that this episode was the reason Keith behaves the way he does in the third season, not just the save, but the behavior through the whole season. Following her around waiting to fix any holes in the wall, which he does at his expense.  And that it is one of the reasons she comes back after the movie, to repair that rift. 

I kind of wish they had just had Duncan go away to military school with Troy and I wouldn't have objected to Meg fighting for custody of her daughter, with Veronica's help. 

Well, goodbye to the wood jokes.

Yes, thank you for the podcast. 

When Veronica presented Wallace with the results of her research I thought she hasn't learned enough since she dug into Rebecca's background in the first season. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1

This is super late, but I just listened last night and wanted to point out a nice bit of continuity. In season one, Veronica is talking to a client threatening to go see Vinnie instead of Keith and Veronica talks about the "Van Lowe  Special."  Which is essentially Vinnie taking the incriminating pics to the husband and asking for more money to say he found nothing. I thought it was cool that Vinnie playing both sides was established so early on.

• Love 2

God, I'd forgotten Agent Xena totally OWNING Lamb.

I assumed Keith was not in on the whole con (although I think Celeste was, given Astrid's heavy involvement, which would have to hurt), but he does recover from it pretty quickly.

The whole PCH mystery wasn't helped by the fact that I had no clear picture of any member (other than Weevil). I don't think it was just me.

• Love 1

Until listening to this episode, I never realised that Astrid was the woman at the end who assisted in the scheme - I figured she was some girlfriend of Vinnie's. 

• Love 1