Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S24.E07: Beauty is Raw

The models bare it all in a nude photoshoot unlike ever before; the contestants create an anti-bullying PSA for the National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) which triggers deep, dark secrets from each of the models' past.

I wonder what Sandra is going to do here, because going nude doesn't seem like something she'd do for religious reasons. I bet Tyra will get on her case for this though, but I hope she doesn't and respects her wishes if she chooses not to do a nude photoshoot.

I'm torn. It was time for Christina to go because everybody was sick of her brat act. But that means time bomb Brendi stays for another week.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 2

I think those bullying ads were supposed to be powerful or something, but I was laughing my ass off at how cheesy it was. The way it was filmed was just the most pretentious thing I've ever seen on this show. 

Not gonna miss Christina but I really, REALLY wish she'd taken Brendi with her. 

And am I the only one thinking they all got "first call out" because Tyra was the photog and they have to kiss her ass by pretending all her photos were just too amazing? Because really, no, not all those pics deserved first call. Honestly I think I only liked Krystyana and... there was another one I thought was good. Not kyla, not Brendi, not the tattooed one or Sandra, not Rio...I'm not actually sure who that leaves. But I know there was another one I thought was okay. I found the hands less supportive and more "we're dragging you down into the depths of hell" so this shoot was kind of me to me.

I did think Brendi and Christina both looked better without makeup. Rio looked about the same. Sandra looked like she was wearing a ton of makeup. 

Also, Krystyana broke me cold, dead heart. Damn. 

• Like 22

Is it just models or has an entire generation of people been bullied, abused, sexually assaulted, hated by their parents or neglected, grown up in poverty, have sexual identity issues or suffered the death of a loved one?  This is one sad group of individuals.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Is it just models or has an entire generation of people been bullied, abused, sexually assaulted, hated by their parents or neglected, grown up in poverty, have sexual identity issues or suffered the death of a loved one?  This is one sad group of individuals.

I dunno, I think these things are fairly universal.  I never felt pretty...neither parent ever said so, and my brother's nickname for me (at school, mind you) was Moose.  Now, 40 years past high school old friends tell me I was one of the cutest girls in our school.  My mother also died when I was 15, and my dad remarried quickly to a woman who was so despicable, she made us bathe in the lake.  During cold weather, we got one shower a week...ONE.

My own daughter had divorced parents, a sibling who despised her and eventually disowned us all, and grew up in the working poor class.  There was also a girl in her sixth grade classroom who tormented her so mercilessly that the girl was eventually expelled.

I think there are probably relatively few people who make it through childhood and adolescence unscathed.

Edited by Marmiarmo · Reason: Capitalization
  • Like 15

The photo they picked for Erin did not match what we saw in the shoot at all. I really thought we were going to see a better picture of her because she seemed to be doing very well in the actual shoot.  Tyra really is a very good photographer. 

That's all I've got this week.

• Like 6

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Kind of sad that judging by the previews, by next episode all the messages of support seem to fall by the wayside.

Khrystyana just keeps getting better and better for me. She's reminding me of India, a dark horse, super nice to everyone, and does well in all the challenges. Her story broke me.

Why did they critique Erin's hair in the photo when I'm pretty sure that wasn't her idea to do that.

Edited by niklj
  • Like 12

11 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Well, they are the type of girls who would then desperately seek out validation through modeling, social media, constantly dating losers, etc. I think the more well adjusted types would look to something a bit more interesting than famewhoreing on a lame reality show with a modeling theme. I think one of the main prerequisites of getting on this, or any reality show really, is a total lack of actual self worth. Some of these chicks may think quite highly of themselves on the surface (Christina) but inside they are all just desperate for validation from strangers to prove they are worth something. That is just the world we live in now. You are nothing if you don't have followers and likes and hits from total strangers.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Zima said:

Great. More tears for Tyra to bathe in. She really gets off on getting people to break down. 

She's abusive, I have felt like this since the show began

11 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I dunno, I think these things are fairly universal.  

I agree, universal, but not everyone talks about it - so people don't realize how universal it is.  (Nothing wrong with talking about it in my opinion - just agreeing with you.)

• Like 9

Not that I'd ever be on this show, but I don't think I'd be as open as some of the contestants here. Vulnerability is one thing, but I don't think I could ever talk about my private issues on the show.

7 hours ago, Zima said:

Great. More tears for Tyra to bathe in. She really gets off on getting people to break down. 

She feeds on the tears of the models here.

• Like 6

Every week I like Khrystyana more, so the only suspense I'm feeling is when she will get derailed, at least temporarily. I'm over Rio, I think she just isn't nice under it all. Still like Jeana and want her to make it to the final.

My daughter and I were watching and had a discussion on what bullying really is. I think everyone has had their feelings hurt and felt put down in their lifetime, but is that really what bullying means? If so, it's become a huge umbrella term for any time someone does or says something unkind. I'm not saying that particular action *isn't* bullying, but I thought this whole PSA thing was a stretch and encouraged the girls to dwell on negative feelings.

Even though I am glad Christina left, I feel like she's been edited to look like public enemy #1. When Tyra called out the first seven names and left the two standing there and said something like, "For the first time in ANTM history..." I thought she was going to say, "Two girls are going home at the same time," and I was already saying, "No, it's not the first time!" when she said they all tied for best pic. Then I was kinda bummed both Christina and Erin didn't go home. I like Erin and agree she didn't have her best picture shown, but I think she will go home before long. I kinda cringed at the coldness of her reveal, that she left the dying father of her child because she couldn't deal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ForReal said:

I kinda cringed at the coldness of her reveal, that she left the dying father of her child because she couldn't deal.

I don't care for Erin, but I couldn't handle that revelation. Was she expecting sympathy? Because what she did is one of the cruelest things I can think of to do to another human being. 

• Like 11

I kind of feel bad for Brendi (but not really), when Tyra started calling everyone else down for their photos and announced "Everyone gets best photo!" Brenda was so happy that she was called first and then it's just like "nope"

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ForReal said:

My daughter and I were watching and had a discussion on what bullying really is. I think everyone has had their feelings hurt and felt put down in their lifetime, but is that really what bullying means? If so, it's become a huge umbrella term for any time someone does or says something unkind. I'm not saying that particular action *isn't* bullying, but I thought this whole PSA thing was a stretch and encouraged the girls to dwell on negative feelings.

This exactly. I might sound cynical but I'm having a hard time believing that 8 out of 8 girls here (plus all the ones who already went home) were abused, bullied, came from broken families, unhappy childhoods or anyway suffered some sort of huge trauma in their life. It's possible, I'm not denying it, but I feel that here as well (as it is with other major issues of our times), by calling things by the wrong name (a boy calls you Freckles once in third grade and suddenly you've been bullied all your life), we take away attention from people who have REALLY been through these terrible things and need real support.

Other than that, like I've already said, I feel Tyra(nt) really does what she pleases on this show, regardless of the models' talent or the way the pictures came out. When she told Erin her photo was bad because of that inexplicable cloud of hair she had on her face I couldn't believe it. Who chose that picture out of the probably 50 she took? Also, I don't like Christina's attitude in general, but it was kind of rude of Tyra to tell her her age showed in the picture. She just wanted to taunt her and that's not nice. I'm glad Erin got to stay though, I really like her, although I'm sure she'll go home soon. 

Edited by stormy weather
  • Like 5

This show has made me feel bad about Christina. She does have a wack attitude, but I get why she's so defensive considering how everyone keeps attacking her. Her tone of voice and the fact that she doesn't let people in right away can be a turn off to some, but the extend that the judges go after her and the other girls in the house. While some is warranted, sometimes it feels like they're going after her because she's Christina.

Tyra's message to her at the end made me feel especially bad.

I hope she does well, only to show that Law, Brendi and Shanice that she has the chops to model.

I really liked Sandra's photo, it was her best one yet. It's too bad that it looks like she's leaving in the next episode.

3 hours ago, ForReal said:

Having your feelings hurt or being teased sucks, but bullying is on another level. Unfortunately, bullying has become a sort of an umbrella term that means, harassment, teasing, insults, fighting, etc... If someone doesn't like you and shows it (by not talking to you or avoiding you), then I don't know if you can call it bullying in the traditional sense, but it does seem that some would call that bullying. Then again, everything affects people differently. As long as you can cry over it, then Tyra is happy.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Like 5

I feel that of all the sob stories we got, only Khrystianna experienced real trauma. Not only was she molested, it sounded like her father set her up to be molested. It's a good thing he left the family soon after.

Erin's story - I have no words. "Cancer turned him into a different person" - you think??? That's what terminal cancer does to everyone who has it. I've lost all respect for her.

I hate that there's so much focus on sob stories this season. The fashion industry has zero fucks to give about anything other than a model's look, measurements, and reliability.

1 hour ago, Token said:

We've raised a generation of young people who can't cope with anything in the real world because they've been raised in this vacuum of positivity where everyone is perfect and everything they do is right.  It's kind of sad.

True story, one of my subordinates at the last place I worked told HR I was "bullying" her because I asked her to limit her lunch breaks to one hour after I noticed that she regularly took 2-3 hour breaks and never made up the time.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 21

10 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I feel that of all the sob stories we got, only Khrystianna experienced real trauma. Not only was she molested, it sounded like her father set her up to be molested. It's a good thing he left the family soon after.

Erin's story - I have no words. "Cancer turned him into a different person" - you think??? That's what terminal cancer does to everyone who has it. I've lost all respect for her.

I hate that there's so much focus on sob stories this season. The fashion industry has zero fucks to give about anything other than a model's look, measurements, and reliability.

True story, one of my subordinates at the last place I worked told HR I was "bullying" her because I asked her to limit her lunch breaks to one hour after I noticed that she regularly took 2-3 hour breaks and never made up the time.

Wow, I didn't even consider that aspect of Khrystiana's story, that her dad actually deliberately put her into the situation.  But makes sense now that you said it.  That poor girl.

Your 'bullying' story doesn't surprise me.  One of my colleagues had the same accusation levelled against her because she stopped a young colleague from doing something which could actually have killed a patient.  And, instead of being grateful and learning from the experience, the young staff member filed a complaint against my colleague for bullying.  It's ridiculous.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Monster.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Token said:

It's not just being called Freckles that people cry bullying about these days.  Giving people legitimate feedback is also called bullying, or microagression (the latest buzzword).  The HR department where I work actually has to, during orientation, point out to new hires that your supervisor giving you legitimate negative feedback on your work performance is not bullying because they get so many complaints from young people starting out in the workplace.  We've raised a generation of young people who can't cope with anything in the real world because they've been raised in this vacuum of positivity where everyone is perfect and everything they do is right.  It's kind of sad.

I think it's not that they've been raised in a vacuum of positivity, it's more that they are afraid to be wrong or different or less than. My daughter pointed out that many of the girls she knows who would claim to have been bullied were certainly guilty of bullying behavior themselves, but don't/won't cop to it. I think young people have been raised to sway people to their point of view ("I was wronged -- she was mean to me!") instead of standing firm and saying "I don't care what you think, I believe in what I"m doing" -- and then accepting the consequences as they come. 

• Like 3

Knowing that Liz left because she was afraid of Brendi, I can't believe Tyra didn't jump on the chance to send Brendi home instead of Liberty the week before.

We could get a repeat of the All-Star cycle, where Tyra has to re-film the finale because Brendi was arrested before the show airs. Although maybe VH1 isn't as  uptight about their public image as the CW was back then.

I had the opposite reaction to Erin. She was honest, didn’t try to sugarcoat what she did and has regrets. We also don’t know all the circumstances, or whether it would have had worse repercussions had she been able to force herself to stay. (On a personal note, I’m watching a loved one disintegrate after the illness and subsequent death of a family member)

Krystyana’s revelations made the constant play of Brendi and Christina’s whining seem obscene. I’m not disregarding that what Brendi and Christina feel is valid and true for them, but I’m hoping now we’ll no longer be subjected to Brendi crying over her lack of self confidence every single gorram episode (cough, editors, cough). I also have a sour taste in my mouth about Kyla since the Pride episode, and roll my eyes every time she brags about being an activist. I did think the PSA she did about stuttering was super-effective.

That video was clearly the best of the three—testimonials and an uplifting message that everyone can relate to.

Tyra’s photoshoot was pretty cool. I agree with everyone upthread who called shenanigans on Erin’s photo. It clearly made a difference to have Tyra give them actual feedback during the shoot, as opposed to the usual vague screeching of “MORE HIGH FASHION!” or the like.

Rooting for a final two of Krystyana and Jeana, but I’m sure that they will both be successful regardless of who actually takes the title. Coincidentally they’re also the ones who seem to handle their personal shit…personally, and yet still extend themselves to lending support to others.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Tyra’s photoshoot was pretty cool.

I agree, but I was a bit disturbed (I know I'm a fuddy duddy) by the touching of breasts that seemed pretty prevalent. I mean, if they were guys, this would be a "no go" right? Shouldn't that be in the category of "don't touch without permission"?

• Like 3

Oh just give it to my girl Khrys already! She has it all in spades.

So jealous of her face lol everyone looked pretty without makeup she looked STUNNING. Half the girls would kill to look like that with makeup. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also it has nothing to do with her age but Erin is too normal/common looking. She doesn't stand out period.

I agree. She is by no means ugly but there is "no there there".

On 2/20/2018 at 9:11 PM, Mabinogia said:

Also, Krystyana broke me cold, dead heart. Damn. 

THIS.  And Drew too!  When he told that story about being called a fag--and he did that little pause and added that it was while he was walking with his father---SOB!  My heart really broke for him in that moment.  I'm not used to ANTM being so real.  I need more swinging pendulum runways to pick up my spirits.

So glad Christina is gone.  I know she gave off a vibe like she was SO much better than everyone else and Rio chalked up her bougie attitude to where she was raised but y'all---Jenkintown is NOT bougie!  It's 5 minutes outside of Philly and very diverse and working class.  Bitch was just a nasty piece of arrogance disguised as confidence.  I loved that Tyra called her out and she should've let Law loose on her too.  

• Like 7

6 hours ago, kitten59 said:

I agree. She is by no means ugly but there is "no there there".

I think it's the hair. I saw on reddit a picture of her with shorter hair and she looks amazing. Much better than how she looks on the show.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

THIS.  And Drew too!  When he told that story about being called a fag--and he did that little pause and added that it was while he was walking with his father---SOB!

Yes, that was so horrible. Kids can be real assholes.

34 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I'm not used to ANTM being so real.  I need more swinging pendulum runways to pick up my spirits.

Amen to that. This shitshow isn't supposed to make me feel things other than snark and a deep despair at the decline of civilization.

• Like 13

Well damn, I cried ugly tears when Krystyanna was telling her story at panel. I'm definitely rooting for her to win. I also would not mind of Jeana won. 

On 2/18/2018 at 10:06 AM, butterbody said:

Oh great. Another "trigger" for Brendi. Domestic violence, pregnancy, the gay community, yadda yadda yadda everything reminds Brendi of her tragic past and I am Sick. Of. It. 

Preach!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I think it's the hair. I saw on reddit a picture of her with shorter hair and she looks amazing. Much better than how she looks on the show.

Well now I feel kinda bad.  Maybe she's just styled really badly on the show.  With faces like Jeana and Coura etc. I just thought she came across as just kinda cute with nice skin.  

On 21/02/2018 at 3:42 PM, Token said:

It's not just being called Freckles that people cry bullying about these days.  Giving people legitimate feedback is also called bullying, or microagression (the latest buzzword).  The HR department where I work actually has to, during orientation, point out to new hires that your supervisor giving you legitimate negative feedback on your work performance is not bullying because they get so many complaints from young people starting out in the workplace.  We've raised a generation of young people who can't cope with anything in the real world because they've been raised in this vacuum of positivity where everyone is perfect and everything they do is right.  It's kind of sad.

OMG - such good points.  Vacuum of positivity - I may use that!  lol

• Like 1

This episode was way too histrionic for me. Tyra does really get off on making them cry for her.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 4

On ‎02‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, Zima said:

I don't care for Erin, but I couldn't handle that revelation. Was she expecting sympathy? Because what she did is one of the cruelest things I can think of to do to another human being. 

She sounded pretty ashamed of it, actually, and not expecting sympathy at all.  But I don't judge other people's reactions to a situation like that because, while I'd like to think I could handle it and stay, I don't know for sure.

• Like 2