Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Aloha Buddy

• Start Topic

Buddy needs to find a sober coach in order to meet the gang in Hawaii. Meanwhile, Whitney feels betrayed when Glenn admits he wasn't truthful about a very important detail of the 5km race; and Babs gets jealous over Glenn's former girlfriend, Keiko.

• Love 1

LOL. I love that the 5k was really an 8k (even though it got shortened). In my fantasy Glen knew the whole time and thought t was hilarious. 

As far and Babs and Glen’s old girlfriend- sounds made up to me. We are supposed to believe Babs dream vacation thousands of miles from home is also the home of Glen’s old girlfriend who makes Babs jealous even though she and Glen have been together 40 years???? Yea right. 

• Love 15

I hope there's a TH of Glenn coming clean about 5k v 8 k and admitting he duped her.

Unless Keiko was jailbait at the time, then a girlfriend from at least 40 years ago should be well past her prime.  Bonus if Whit is jealous of how Glenn acts around Keiko.  Extra bonus if Babs notices Whit's jealousy and realizes how inappropriate it is.

• Love 9

I saw the event website, there is absolutely ZERO chance Glenn did not know it was 8K unless he did not sign up in advance (and didn't visit the website). It is wholly possible that Glenn is so stupid about the metric system that he didn't realize how much of a difference there is between 5K and 8K though.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Maybe he's a Race-ist.  All races look the same to him and therefore may all be referred to as 5Ks.

LOL! I actually know a good number of people who call every single running race a "marathon." I will call them race-ist from now on :)

• Love 14

If Buddy ends up on the trip along with a sober coach, I wonder if "Glen" will be paying for the coach, too? If I were Hunter, I'd be getting pretty pissed off at this point - he doesn't even get to bring one person, but Whitney is invited to bring her whole tribe, and it is being played as a demonstration of his father's amazing generosity in action.  Hunter's an actor, - couldn't TLC throw him a bone and give him a scene where he graciously thanks Glen for giving him something else expensive? Or sarcastically  tells Glen that he's willing to gain weight or drink alcoholically if it means his parents will ship him and all his buddies to a fun time at a fabulous resort, as long as he promises to do a few hours of exercise in exchange?

• Love 9
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I saw the event website, there is absolutely ZERO chance Glenn did not know it was 8K unless he did not sign up in advance (and didn't visit the website). It is wholly possible that Glenn is so stupid about the metric system that he didn't realize how much of a difference there is between 5K and 8K though.

Of course, he knew it was an 8K. Remember the HI Trip Binder? All that material organized into a 3-ring binder & he doesn't include info about the race?

Edited by Dot
correct typo
  • Love 11
On 2/16/2018 at 1:15 PM, Ketzel said:

Hunter's an actor, - couldn't TLC throw him a bone and give him a scene where he graciously thanks Glen for giving him something else expensive? Or sarcastically  tells Glen that he's willing to gain weight or drink alcoholically if it means his parents will ship him and all his buddies to a fun time at a fabulous resort, as long as he promises to do a few hours of exercise in exchange?

Well, maybe Hunter realizes that he has actual friends not social barnacles and as such doesn't have to buy them to keep them. Plus keeping them as far from TV as possible makes sure they don't get turned into "haters" by Twit for being normal sizes. Or getting roped into her No BS crap.

• Love 6
On 2/16/2018 at 3:15 PM, Dot said:

Of course, he knew it was an 8K. Remember the HI Trip Binder? All that material organized into a 3-ring binder & he doesn't include info about the race?

I agree that he knew, but I want to see him admit that he knew and did it on purpose. I want to see him say “yea I knew it was longer and figured it was fine because it’s hot that big of a deal to walk an extra 1.5 miles. At least not for the rest of us and you always say you can do what everyone else can do’. 

I know. I live in a fantasy land. 

• Love 9
18 hours ago, MegD said:

Well, maybe Hunter realizes that he has actual friends not social barnacles and as such doesn't have to buy them to keep them. Plus keeping them as far from TV as possible makes sure they don't get turned into "haters" by Twit for being normal sizes. Or getting roped into her No BS crap.

On 2/16/2018 at 2:15 PM, Ketzel said:

If Buddy ends up on the trip along with a sober coach, I wonder if "Glen" will be paying for the coach, too? If I were Hunter, I'd be getting pretty pissed off at this point - he doesn't even get to bring one person, but Whitney is invited to bring her whole tribe, and it is being played as a demonstration of his father's amazing generosity in action.  Hunter's an actor, - couldn't TLC throw him a bone and give him a scene where he graciously thanks Glen for giving him something else expensive? Or sarcastically  tells Glen that he's willing to gain weight or drink alcoholically if it means his parents will ship him and all his buddies to a fun time at a fabulous resort, as long as he promises to do a few hours of exercise in exchange?

Or Hunter doesn’t want his friends around Whitney.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

Or Hunter doesn’t want his friends around Whitney.

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

She'd probably hump their legs.

I was reading that he's done some production stuff and has a band--legit, first-starting-out work. I gotta wonder how he actually feels about The Family Circus the rest of 'em are involved in (and how it might affect his career path).

And yeah. Doesn't want his friends around Whitney. 

• Love 3

Yikes, guys, I wasn't suggesting Hunter actually wanted to bring a bunch of pals along on the trip. I was just trying to point out how one-sided Glen's supposed generosity was, and how his other kid might legitimately feel dissed if this were actually something his father was doing. But since we all know this is not Glen's "bonus from work" paying for the trip, but Whitney's employer, TLC, I was snarkily suggesting a few things TLC might do to make Glen look more even-handed in the treatment of his kids. Or, alternatively, give Hunter a dramatic scene in which he reproached his father for his obvious favoritism.

• Love 8
On 2/16/2018 at 11:38 AM, ClareWalks said:

LOL! I actually know a good number of people who call every single running race a "marathon." I will call them race-ist from now on :)

I feel like that homophone could cause trouble if you use that term verbally.

• Love 2

Who would they ever find a sober coach? If only there was a person in recovery that also works with substance abuse treatment for a living on the trip.

I've only walked 3 miles once since you started "training"? God that is depressing. Look at you Whit, look at what you have become.

• Love 13

I give Glenn full credit for wanting the best for Whitney and for thinking a challenge such as the 5k is a motivator for her.  HOWEVER!  How can he not watch her walk and see how much effort she must expend to walk a few simple steps?

• Love 9

I'm not sure what kind of income Glen has, but the Kahala hotel is one of the nicest, most expensive on the island.  We stayed down the street but went there one day just because we heard how nice it was (and also the ability to swim with dolphins there).  TLC went ALL out.  Yes, I'm already assuming Glen didn't pay for the trip with Whitney and her entourage.  

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Teddybear said:

I'm not sure what kind of income Glen has, but the Kahala hotel is one of the nicest, most expensive on the island.  We stayed down the street but went there one day just because we heard how nice it was (and also the ability to swim with dolphins there).  TLC went ALL out.  Yes, I'm already assuming Glen didn't pay for the trip with Whitney and her entourage.  

If they show or say the name of a business on a reality show, it’s comp’d. They get to stay there for free for the chance to advertise. Even TLC isn’t footing that hotel bill (much less Glen).

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

So Buddy is already planning to be one of those "recovery" folks. I won't do coke, but I will drink a bit of alcohol. I'm  not a fan.

Personally, I wonder if he isn’t panicking about what he’s going to do for job after recovery. It’s not like he could really go back to being a bartender since that’s the environment that created his addiction. And I don’t think he has a college degree, either. 

• Love 4

I totally get the no body shame thing, but to wear tank tops and two piece bathing suits when to weigh 400 lbs is another thing entirely..... just shoving your fat in their faces almost daring someone to say something, it's punishing everyone around her for what she did to her own body.  Not to mention the tv viewers.  

• Love 18

There is no way under normal circumstances someone still in early stages of treatment should be going on a trip like this, sober coach or not.  

(Gee, TLC seems really obsessed with men & multiple wives...do people really like watching this stuff...ugh.  And don't get me started on Jazz).  

• Love 12

OH MY GOD!!! The whole f*ing POINT of surfing is to be on the board WHEN THE WAVE COMES and RIDE the wave!!!! DUH!!!! If you're THAT scared, then stay outta the water!!! 

And for all her "I can do anything!" "I'm healthy!" "I'm fine at the size I am" talk she makes the shocked face and a snark comment when the surf instructor dude says she can ride the wave on her belly and "her body is fine". 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, John M said:

Whitney need help getting out of the ocean is so pathetic.

Yeah, I was looking around to see if everyone else needed help getting in the water, but I don't think so. So she can't even walk on an uneven shoreline? Jeez.  And the 'ooh' 'oohs,'  c'mon. She sounds like a cuckoo.

7 minutes ago, Donut Bear said:

I probably would not wear a bathing suit on TV if I were her

As far as the bathing suit, I'm of two minds. She needs to wear something to get in the water and she's a big girl, so whatever she wears, she's gonna look big. That said, with bare legs, her height is really apparent and she looks huge and out of proportion.

Why is she scared? Is she afraid of the water? Of being on the surf board? Legitimate question (as opposed to Twit bashing). Most people, even if they aren't very good at it, are usually excited about being on a surfboard or in the ocean in Hawaii. I didn't know you could surf on your stomach. I might actually put that on my bucket list.

• Love 6