Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Can’t Help But Wonder Where I’m Bound

bilgistic

9 hours ago, piratewench said:
16 hours ago, Daltrey said:

We’re still getting, on average, almost 4 songs per episode, and I haven’t downloaded them all. That’s just this season.  So the music’s been there. 

Not sure how you're figuring that. In 7 episodes so far this season, by my recollection, there's been 2-3 from WAG, 1 from Daphne, 1 from Alannah before joining WAG,  2 pieces of auditory garbage from Jonah(one of which wastes Lennon's talent on a nothing "feature" vocal) and 1-2 from Scarlett's PTSD affected soldier acquaintance. That's 9, at most, and even if I've forgotten a few, that is a far cry from almost 4 songs per episode, which would put us at close to 28 songs in 7 episodes; the extended edition soundtracks for seasons past don't even have that many songs on them....oh, just remembered Juliette's church choir friend did one with Deacon, so that's an even 10. Part of the problem is almost none of these songs are attached to the recording or promotion of an album, in the context of a concert tour performance, or any other aspect of the Nashville music business or the music business in general, which WAS half the premise of the show. Sure, the music's been there, but it's been severely depleted and taken a back seat to all the ridiculous life drama. Now it mostly amounts to no more than me getting together with buddies and going to jam night at the local pub or watching my niece in the high school talent show. I don't know, maybe the past seasons didn't have THAT MUCH more music, maybe it just felt that way because we got to see more of it in the business context; someone was always writing something, in the studio or on tour and most if not all of the drama took place within that bubble. Now it's reversed, the music is confined to a small space inside the giant drama bubble. It's pretty sad, really.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Daltrey said:

Not sure how you're figuring that. In 7 episodes so far this season, by my recollection, there's been 2-3 from WAG, 1 from Daphne, 1 from Alannah before joining WAG,  2 pieces of auditory garbage from Jonah(one of which wastes Lennon's talent on a nothing "feature" vocal) and 1-2 from Scarlett's PTSD affected soldier acquaintance. That's 9, at most, and even if I've forgotten a few, that is a far cry from almost 4 songs per episode, which would put us at close to 28 songs in 7 episodes; the extended edition soundtracks for seasons past don't even have that many songs on them....oh, just remembered Juliette's church choir friend did one with Deacon, so that's an even 10. Part of the problem is almost none of these songs are attached to the recording or promotion of an album, in the context of a concert tour performance, or any other aspect of the Nashville music business or the music business in general, which WAS half the premise of the show. Sure, the music's been there, but it's been severely depleted and taken a back seat to all the ridiculous life drama. Now it mostly amounts to no more than me getting together with buddies and going to jam night at the local pub or watching my niece in the high school talent show. I don't know, maybe the past seasons didn't have THAT MUCH more music, maybe it just felt that way because we got to see more of it in the business context; someone was always writing something, in the studio or on tour and most if not all of the drama took place within that bubble. Now it's reversed, the music is confined to a small space inside the giant drama bubble. It's pretty sad, really.

Ordinarily I wouldn’t do this, but since you called my math skills into question, I decided I would. 

Episode 1 had 5 songs - 1 by a random street band, but the rest by Gunnar, Will, Juliette, and Maddie

Episode 2 had 3 songs - 2 by WAG, 1 by Scarlett

Episode 3 had 5 songs (4 actually since they released 2 versions of Daphne’s song) - Daphne, Jonah, Jonah and Maddie, and Juliette 

Episode 4 had 3 songs - 2 by WAG, Hallie

Episode 5 had 4 songs - Deacon, Alannah, and 2 by WAG

Episode 6 had 4 songs - Scarlett, the vet, WAG, Alannah

Episode 7 had 2 songs - Daphne and WAG

Most of these came out of the “business” of making music - recording, performing, practicing - so I say you’re wrong that they weren’t integrated into that part of the show. Even if you discount the second version of Daphne’s song in episode 3, that’s still 25 songs, not 10 (and it doesn’t matter if we like them all or not, or remember them or not, they still count), for an average of 3.6 songs per episode, so my estimate of almost 4 was spot on. 

Maybe you should go back and rewatch the episodes to see the context of each song and then check out iTunes for the count. 

I also disagree with your contention that the songs are in some kind of self-contained bubble, but that’s just a difference of opinion, to which we’re each entitled. I actually think there’s been some fantastic music this season. Jonah’s not a personal favorite but most of the rest are, but to each his, or her, own. 

I also want to take issue with your contention that "going to a jam night at a local pub" isn't part of the music business.  I'm guessing you know very little about the real Nashville and the fact that in the real Nashville, these live music venues are all over town and that's where music is made.  It's not concentrated in Bridgestone Arena or Nissan Stadium or Ascend Ampitheater. It's in honky tonks and juke joints and basement clubs and small outdoor stages at coffee houses and restaurants. It's in guitar pulls and writers' rounds and open mics.

I actually think that we've gotten more into the music business these past two seasons than had been the case in at least the two before.  It might not be what you envisioned, but music in Nashville is so much more than just performing on a big stage.  We've seen the writing process, the recording process, jamming - and that's legit - all over the place.  That's all part of "making music".  As for the drama, that's always been there.  I still remember people bitching about the political stuff the first couple seasons.  But the life drama has always been a part of the show.  If you haven't liked it, then I guess that's on you, but I think they've woven it into the fabric of creative people's lives quite well.

Edited by piratewench
clarifying a couple points
  • Love 1

No matter how many songs are sung each episode, I've been complaining for a long time that music has stopped being the focus of the show. Me and another friend (who got me hooked on Nashville) always talk about how we miss seeing the creative process, how we liked all the behind-the-scenes muxic biz storylines, like when Rayna had to woo that guy who owned a gajillion stores so he'd carry her song in them. And often the songs are just small snippets when I know we used to hear longer cuts and more of them. I think this season is better than last season, but it's not nearly as much about the music as Seasons 1-4, imo.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, piratewench said:

Ordinarily I wouldn’t do this, but since you called my math skills into question, I decided I would. 

Episode 1 had 5 songs - 1 by a random street band, but the rest by Gunnar, Will, Juliette, and Maddie

Episode 2 had 3 songs - 2 by WAG, 1 by Scarlett

Episode 3 had 5 songs (4 actually since they released 2 versions of Daphne’s song) - Daphne, Jonah, Jonah and Maddie, and Juliette 

Episode 4 had 3 songs - 2 by WAG, Hallie

Episode 5 had 4 songs - Deacon, Alannah, and 2 by WAG

Episode 6 had 4 songs - Scarlett, the vet, WAG, Alannah

Episode 7 had 2 songs - Daphne and WAG

Most of these came out of the “business” of making music - recording, performing, practicing - so I say you’re wrong that they weren’t integrated into that part of the show. Even if you discount the second version of Daphne’s song in episode 3, that’s still 25 songs, not 10 (and it doesn’t matter if we like them all or not, or remember them or not, they still count), for an average of 3.6 songs per episode, so my estimate of almost 4 was spot on. 

Maybe you should go back and rewatch the episodes to see the context of each song and then check out iTunes for the count. 

I also disagree with your contention that the songs are in some kind of self-contained bubble, but that’s just a difference of opinion, to which we’re each entitled. I actually think there’s been some fantastic music this season. Jonah’s not a personal favorite but most of the rest are, but to each his, or her, own. 

I also want to take issue with your contention that "going to a jam night at a local pub" isn't part of the music business.  I'm guessing you know very little about the real Nashville and the fact that in the real Nashville, these live music venues are all over town and that's where music is made.  It's not concentrated in Bridgestone Arena or Nissan Stadium or Ascend Ampitheater. It's in honky tonks and juke joints and basement clubs and small outdoor stages at coffee houses and restaurants. It's in guitar pulls and writers' rounds and open mics.

I actually think that we've gotten more into the music business these past two seasons than had been the case in at least the two before.  It might not be what you envisioned, but music in Nashville is so much more than just performing on a big stage.  We've seen the writing process, the recording process, jamming - and that's legit - all over the place.  That's all part of "making music".  As for the drama, that's always been there.  I still remember people bitching about the political stuff the first couple seasons.  But the life drama has always been a part of the show.  If you haven't liked it, then I guess that's on you, but I think they've woven it into the fabric of creative people's lives quite well.

No malicious intent, sorry if it came across that way, I was merely going from my memory. I stand corrected on the count. I never questioned the quality of the songs, they've all been quite good I think, except for Jonah's-on that we can agree.

I'm well aware the city has a vast number of venues and I'm sure all manner of business is conducted in them, from artist signings to group formations and all things in between and beyond. My point was that most of the music related scenes in these small venues have felt to me like my own experiences going to open mic jam nights where everybody is a nobody just having fun and the only one doing business is the host. That's just how it feels to me  as it's being presented. I'm not saying it's bad, it just leaves me wanting more. I agree we've seen all of the processes, I just feel it's much less so this year than in seasons past. The drama has always been an integral part, as it is in any show, and even the political stuff wasn't a problem for me. It WAS woven in well and was always fairly equally balanced with the musical side but now I feel that balance has shifted in favor of the drama, to the detriment of the show as a whole. It hasn't put me off it by any stretch, I just don't enjoy it the way I used to. You seem to be enjoying it much more than I, at this point, and that's awesome; I wish I could feel the same.

• Love 2

For me the issue with the music this season vs the music from previous seasons is the context.  In season one, the connection between the songs and the story lines of the episode is what made the songs so memorable.  I realize we can't have a "No One Will Ever Love You" moment every single episode, but couldn't we have an "Undermine" or even a cover like "Ho Hey" by the Lennon sisters, which made an impact because of the girls being on the big stage and the Deacon/Rayna moment.   The previous seasons songs (all of which I have, as I will purchase this season as well) seemed to me to have more emotional punch, if not from the song themselves, then from the way they served the story. 

• Love 2