Type keyword(s) to search

Rule 32: Enjoy the Little Things

• Start Topic

On 2/9/2023 at 9:44 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is such an old post but I wanted to quote it because this is one of my favourite movies and I really agree.

I always whine about May-December relationships in the movies where the man is older, and yet, this is one coupling that I really love.  Why?  Because Mona Lisa and Vinny really love each other, and you can tell.  They have so much chemistry and the couple feels really real.

They are one of my favorite couples. They'll bicker because of their personalities but they love each other. I love when Vinny tells her to stand by her man and she immediately starts mockingly "on the way you handle judge" it's also their foreplay. I love how much they support each other. When Vinny first hears about mud in the tires early in the episode he immediately asks Lisa if she ever heard of it. He knows she knows everything about cars and trust his judgement. He also heads straight to the bar when he finds out she tried hustling for money but the guy didn't pay. Lisa of course supports him though whole time except for that fight at the end which Vinny realizes right afterwards he was wrong to take his frustrations out on Lisa. I also love when Lisa kind of goes off on him about getting married. Most movies would make this a big fight or break up scene. Vinny calmly points out everything on his shoulders right now the judge, no sleep, fighting an idiot for 200, and the trial. He doesn't need her on him about marriage and kids. Most movies would have Lisa storm off ticked off. Nope, Lisa just agrees it's a bad time to bring it up.

In real life, Marisa Tomei wanted to audition for "A League of their Own", so Joe Pesci was trying to coach her in playing baseball.    How cute is that? 🥰  She was hopeless at it unfortunately.😄

From IMDB trivia:

Too bad. She would have been great in that movie.

• Applause 2
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Not if she was hopeless at learning to play baseball.  Penny Marshall knowing she didn't want to have to rely on doubles or cuts in the game scenes, that she'd only audition actors who could play baseball (even Oscar winner Geena Davis got balls thrown at her in Marshall's backyard before they could sit down and talk about her playing the catcher), is one of the little things that makes the film so great.  I love the recent TV series, too, but that some actors could play well and some not so much was noticeable in wide shots; the film has no such distraction.

• Like 1

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery: Austin automatically turning down Vanessa coming onto him when drunk. And unlike too many movies and shows with that similar scenario, it wasn’t treated like some agonizing temptation or noble sacrifice on his part. Just “No, you’re drunk, it’s not right” and that was that.

Also loved that while he did have some feelings for Mrs. Kensington back in the day, he respected her marriage. Say what you must about Austin Danger Powers, but he had standards. He would have used a Time Machine to rewrite history so he could cheat his way into a manufactured happy ending with Mrs. Kensington…

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

I was watching Back to the Future  and as we know the movie makes a point of showing the big effects of the changes that Marty's intervention in the past made to his family.  But I always get tickled at one small thing.

In the present day, Marty meets Doc at the Twin Pines Mall that has a bright neon sign that says 'Twin Pines Mall' at the entry of the mall parking lot.  But when Marty time travels to the past he knocks over one of the twin pine trees at the Twin Pines Farm  which was the original site of the current day mall.

First thing he does when he comes back to the present day,  he runs to the Mall to see if he can save Doc from the Libyans and he runs right past the neon mall sign that now reads 'Lone Pine Mall.' 

I love that scene because the movie didn't try to draw your attention to the new sign because all the tension was on Marty trying to get there in time to save Doc.  But it was there, and they let the audience realize the significance on their own.

• Like 11

So I know Peter Dinklage’s singing in Cyrano wasn’t perfect, but I think the moment he really nailed it was his reprise of “Have you ever wanted something…” in the finale. The tone was just so poignantly mournful that it struck a chord with me in more ways that one, and it’s my favorite moment in the whole movie.

• Like 2
On 2/16/2023 at 5:58 AM, andromeda331 said:

They are one of my favorite couples. They'll bicker because of their personalities but they love each other. I love when Vinny tells her to stand by her man and she immediately starts mockingly "on the way you handle judge" it's also their foreplay. I love how much they support each other. When Vinny first hears about mud in the tires early in the episode he immediately asks Lisa if she ever heard of it. He knows she knows everything about cars and trust his judgement. He also heads straight to the bar when he finds out she tried hustling for money but the guy didn't pay. Lisa of course supports him though whole time except for that fight at the end which Vinny realizes right afterwards he was wrong to take his frustrations out on Lisa. I also love when Lisa kind of goes off on him about getting married. Most movies would make this a big fight or break up scene. Vinny calmly points out everything on his shoulders right now the judge, no sleep, fighting an idiot for 200, and the trial. He doesn't need her on him about marriage and kids. Most movies would have Lisa storm off ticked off. Nope, Lisa just agrees it's a bad time to bring it up.

The miscommunication here is hysterical

• Like 2

Remember when I posted that Christopher Reeve’s smile in any movie he’s ever done was a Rule 32 for me?

I have to say the same about Brendan Fraser’s smile. In any movie—Bedazzled, George of the Jungle, School Ties, The Mummy. He, like Reeve, perfected the art of the warm, sometimes dopey, aw-shucks kind of smile that just thaws the cold dead parts of your heart.

• Like 6

One thing I really like about Lisa in My Cousin Vinny is she's wears great outfits but also knows everything about cars and used to be a mechanic in her father's shop. Most movies and TV shows would have made her a tomboy. Wearing jeans or overalls. A woman wearing great clothes has to be a girly-girl and not one who would ever work on cars. She can never be both. But Lisa is. It's really cool. 

• Like 9
(edited)

Something I noticed in the animated Little Mermaid is how, despite being a prince, Eric is always dressed super casually. Other than the wedding(s), the only time you see him in full-royal regalia is when “Vanessa” shows up, which is a subtle clue that something is off with him.

Regarding the new movie, a little thing I loved is that when Ariel’s exposed as a mermaid by Ursula, all the spectators are shocked and horrified—but Eric’s reaction? He just held her tighter.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 5
On 2/22/2023 at 8:56 PM, DearEvette said:

I was watching Back to the Future  and as we know the movie makes a point of showing the big effects of the changes that Marty's intervention in the past made to his family.  But I always get tickled at one small thing.

In the present day, Marty meets Doc at the Twin Pines Mall that has a bright neon sign that says 'Twin Pines Mall' at the entry of the mall parking lot.  But when Marty time travels to the past he knocks over one of the twin pine trees at the Twin Pines Farm  which was the original site of the current day mall.

First thing he does when he comes back to the present day,  he runs to the Mall to see if he can save Doc from the Libyans and he runs right past the neon mall sign that now reads 'Lone Pine Mall.' 

I love that scene because the movie didn't try to draw your attention to the new sign because all the tension was on Marty trying to get there in time to save Doc.  But it was there, and they let the audience realize the significance on their own.

I was rewatching the Save the Clock Tower scene, and it's blurry but I'm positive there's a sign on an abandoned storefront that says they moved to Twin Pines Mall and a bunch of other empty storefronts. Much more clear is the sign on the bench announcing Zales at Twin Pines Mall. Very subtle but reflecting that malls had basically destroyed downtowns from the 70's through the 90's. Of course nowadays (some) downtowns are resurging while most malls are dying. The real Twin Pines Mall is circling the drain. 

• Like 2

Amadeus: Salieri’s excitement in seeing the dessert display, which he quickly tries to cover up with an obviously transparent “just minding my own business” look so he can sneak off to the room and get a sample when nobody’s looking. So relatable lol.

• Like 3

Pulp Fiction:

Jules: Nobody's gonna hurt anybody. We're all gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what's Fonzie like?... Come on, Yolanda, what's Fonzie like?!
Yolanda: Cool?
Jules: What?
Yolanda: Cool.
Jules: CORRECTAMUNDO! And that's what we're gonna be. We're gonna be cool.

This is embarrassing, but I never realized until now that “correctamundo” was one of the Fonz’s catchphrases.

• Like 4

Warning: Unmarked spoilers

Back to the Future

I know this movie gets discussed a lot, and people like John Mulaney love to snark on how messed up it is, what with young Lorraine lusting after Marty, not knowing he's her son from the future (though, for the record, Marty absolutely does not reciprocate).

But I still think the movie works, because of one important detail: Some have asked why Lorraine and George didn't name their first son Marty, after the dude who helped bring them together? 

Well, I think George and Lorraine fell so in love, and were so committed, that they briefly forgot about that one random dude who kind of helped them get together in the first place, and so by the time their second son was born, Lorraine was like, "Oh, George, remember that boy Marty? I just remembered how nice he was and what a lovely name that is!"

That's right, Lorraine did not have a death grip on the torch for that one dude she knew for a few days in high school. George was the one she loved and wanted. Hell, she probably even forgot what Marty looked like, which is why his very existence still makes sense in spite of the changes made to the timeline.

That's my dumb theory, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not to mention when she finally laid a kiss on him, she told him it was like kissing her brother! 

I feel like after 13 years, the memory of Marty would have been a nice pleasant fuzzy memory of a nice guy she didn't have chemistry with who helped her get with George. I would struggle to even remember what he looked like given they didn't take any pictures of him.

• Like 7

In Love, Simon, there are a lot of little moments that stick out to me, but the one that really gets me every time is the brief moment, after Simon was outed, when he went up to the kid in the hallway (I forget his character name, but he was in the musical) and asked if he was Blue.  The emotion in the kids face, and none of it anger at being asked, in a sense, if he was gay, was so moving.  He was sincerely sorry for Simon and what was happening to him, and, iirc, even offered to talk if he needed to.  It was both lovely (of him) and heartbreaking (for Simon).

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

In Love, Simon, there are a lot of little moments that stick out to me, but the one that really gets me every time is the brief moment, after Simon was outed, when he went up to the kid in the hallway (I forget his character name, but he was in the musical) and asked if he was Blue.  The emotion in the kids face, and none of it anger at being asked, in a sense, if he was gay, was so moving.  He was sincerely sorry for Simon and what was happening to him, and, iirc, even offered to talk if he needed to.  It was both lovely (of him) and heartbreaking (for Simon).

My favorite is probably the talk between Simon and his dad.

• Like 5

I appreciate how in the The Santa Clause movies all the Elf extras are played by actual little kids.  Are they the most professional?  No.  But that's the point.  I mean this as a compliment, it feels very 2nd grade pageant where everything is earnest and guileless which is how it should be in a trilogy such as this.  What better way to experience how awesome and magical the North Pole is supposed to be than through their reactions.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 8

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: “So shines a good deed in a weary world.”

This moment. This moment never fails to get me.

Because out of all the kids, Charlie was the only one that would have had a legitimate reason to take “Slugworth’s” deal. “Slugworth” probably gave Willy all the intel on how poor the Buckets were and how much they needed that money. And after Wonka seemingly screws over Charlie with the contact because they took the fizzy lifting drinks, some wouldn’t have blamed Charlie for handing over the gobstopper to “Slugworth.” Grandpa Joe understandably was ready to do so.

But not Charlie.

Even though he wants to help his family. Even though it hurts that he’s once again been cheated out of the only lucky break he’s had in his entire life. He understands that he broke the rules. He knows that his family’s financial well-being could never justify giving the gobstopper to “Slugworth.” Wrong is wrong, no matter what.

So he gives the gobstopper back.

Gene Wilder kept his promise to make sure the audience would never know if he was lying or not, but I’m certain Wonka really never expected Charlie to give the gobstopper back.

• Love 6

Forrest Gump (caution, unmarked spoilers)

Because it's such a quiet, background moment, I put it here instead of the "Hell Yeah!" section. After Jenny's death, Forrest buys the plot of land where Jenny's childhood home sits abandoned and, as he's eulogizing over her grave, we see her house being bulldozed to the ground. Forrest may or may not fully comprehend how truly traumatic Jenny's upbringing was, but we do, and it's strangely rewarding seeing that awful house of horrors being demolished. 

No, it doesn't change the past, but at least it's something, and I think Forrest correctly intuited that it was what Jenny would have wanted. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

Saving Mr. Banks: For all of Ms. Travers’ accusations of Disney sugarcoating things for kids too much, it becomes painfully clear in her flashbacks is doing the exact same thing to herself concerning her own father,  and it really shows in the sequence when the “Bank” song rehearsal intercuts with her father’s drunken speech at the fair. Immediately after, she blows up at the Sherman’s for making Mr. Banks “cruel” and arguing that he’d never tear up/make fun of something the children made for him. However, we see in a later seen when Helen/Ginty presented her ill father with a poem she wrote, he basically scoffed at it because he was going through pain and alcohol withdrawal and taking it out on her.

She doesn't realize that the film is intending to show Mr. Banks as stern and misguided rather than cruel. Her for, Mr. Banks is her father, and she only wants to remember the good times instead of the bad. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4

There are so many little details in Society of the Snow that will stand out to those of us who are familiar with the source material, but my absolute favourite thing is that when the boy who has been collecting belongings and tokens from everyone who died is packing them up in a suitcase towards the end, one of the things in the bag is a silver cross with a broken arm. It's a nod to a real cross that he speaks about in the book, that he found in the snow up there and has kept since then. He says it's his most valued keepsake from the mountain because he feels it represents them and what they went through - broken, abused, but still recognisably what they were before. I practically burst into tears when I noticed it on the screen.

• Like 1

Caution: Unmarked spoilers

Soul (2020):

When Dez the barber admits to 22-in-Joe's-Body (and by Joe-in-Cat's-Body) that he once dreamed of being a veterinarian, but couldn't afford to go to vet school (true to life, vet school is gruesomely expensive), so he found more stable work as a barber.

And Dez... is fine with this! He didn't get his dream job, but he loves his life! Yes, I realize that's ultimately the theme of the movie, but I don't think we can overstate how important it is to teach young people that while it's okay to have dreams, it's also okay if they don't end up coming to fruition. Do you have any idea how much stress and unhappiness would diminish if we teach people that we should enjoy life, regardless of what we end up doing?

Another thing? When Dez thanks 22/Joe for asking about his life for a change instead of always talking about jazz. We can be so self-involved sometimes, it's easy to never venture outside our bubble and get to know someone. Everyone has an interesting story to tell. Listen to people... and be sure to retain what they tell you.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels had the greatest comedic twist of all time, with Janet turning the tables on both her and Freddy, but what I especially loved was Lawrence’s reaction to the reveal: “Isn’t she wonderful?”

I always love characters that admire a worthy foe.

• Like 3

Trading Places: One of the little details that proved Louis, despite being a stuck-up asshole, wasn’t completely unredeemable as a character, was the fact that on his way to his office he says “good morning” to everyone who greets him. True, he doesn’t really make eye contact, but he’s still polite. 

Compare that to the following scene, where the Dukes have a whole household of servants saying “good morning to them” and they pass by them without so much as a hello.

• Like 5

So Toni Collette is amazing throughout Hereditary, but I've found that my absolute favourite moment is from her dream conversation with Peter, when she suddenly says "I never wanted to be your mother". She says it so nonchalantly, almost tauntingly, and then the moment she finishes the sentence her whole face changes with the horror of what she just said out loud and she claps her hand over her mouth. I love that moment so bloody much.