Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Poached Eggs

Seems a little harsh of Quentin to call Penny a dick given Penny's current circumstances.

I love Eliot's family's reaction to 21st century America.

I love Margo. "We're about to boil and dye like it's mother-effin Easter."

He tells her not to look in the cupboard?  What a dumbass.

Did I mention I love Margo?

The Dean's attitude is starting to grate.

Awwww, Kady's speech to Penny.  I can't be happy without you.  Awwwwwww.  So touching.

Holy crap, Alice, going to a vampire?!?

Heh.  "Hedge witch Buffy."  I love all the Buffy references in this show.  They know it's the same demographic watching this show as watched Buffy.

Ooooh, scary ending!

• Love 5

The Dean has become such an asshole. I <3 him. I also like it when that Brakebills teacher shows up and throws some snark.

I actually find myself being sad that Fray wasn't really Eliot and Fen's daughter. I had hoped Eliot might get the chance to be a father again since he remembers that he ended up doing a good job at it. Poor Fen, family was all she wanted.

I'm glad that Julia and Alice understand each other better now, Alice has not been coming off well. I think they can be good for each other.

Quentin and Poppy, hmm. Don't know what to think about that. 

• Love 2

Margo is so amazing. I would have watched an hour of her talking about things she was gonna do with the eggs. The end was really intense. 

The Frey resolution was sadder than expected. Poor Fen. I did think it was a little weird they took the fairy queen' s word on what happened. I don't think there is more to the story, but I would expect them to find her an unreliable source. I hope Fen finds some peace in the Square of Time and the land of pizza.

Penny continues kill me. The Penny and Kady scenes were so good. Someone needs to teach Kady to negotiate though. She is really better at punching. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Poltargyst said:

Heh.  "Hedge witch Buffy."  I love all the Buffy references in this show.  They know it's the same demographic watching this show as watched Buffy.

My favorite line of the episode. As a loyal BTVS and Angel fan, I'm really loving all the references as well, even though I'm not in the target demographic. Damn, Buffy was a very long time ago.

• Love 4

I love Margo. "We're about to boil and dye like it's mother-effin Easter."

I loved that the fairy queen (I'm not capitalizing on purpose because the bitch doesn't deserve it) didn't get the reference and Margo refused to explain it. That's how you know Margo is a boss bitch.

The reveal that Fray wasn't Eliot and Fen's child was so sad. Assuming it's true, I hope Fray goes back to all of the kidnapped humans and leads a revolt. Fuck these melanin challenged assholes.

How does Quentin Coldwater get this much ass?

• Love 4

I am actually super sad that Fray isn't Fen and Elliot's child. Even if she was loyal to the Fairy Queen, they still seemed to have been making a strange kind of family. Poor Fen. I hope things start going alright for her at some point, she has just had an awful time of it. Granted, no one on this show has really had it easy, but it especially sucks to be her. At least she had fun in New York. 

Just say no to Poppy, Quentin. She has a kind of manic, quirky charm, but she is clearly bad news.  

Awwww Kady and Penny are so weirdly cute. Also, it might suck to be stuck on the astral plane, but it does mean Penny wears a suite all the time. And thats certainly not a bad thing. 

Margo is the best, as always. Even with evil fairies and torch wielding peasants, I still bet on her to come out on top. That Fairy Queen is a real piece of work, isn't she? The stone people getting impaled and left on the road was just nasty, even if a lot of them were awful. To quote Elliot, "That took a dark turn". 

• Love 4

Ugh how long is Poppy going to be around? I'd rather she not join the quest. Her magic pixie girl thing has worn thin. I don't understand why she was even jumping on Quentin.  

I wasn't a fan of Fray but I'm sad for Fen that she wasn't really her daughter. 

I'm glad Kady is back with the group. I want her and Penny to get another shot. I also want Penny to get his body back so he can change out of that suit. 

It's so strange. I used to love Alice and hate Julia. Now I can stand Alice and well I don't really care all that much about Julia.

Drink, bitter, and over it. I am loving the Dean lol. 

I don't get the Fairy Queen's endgame but I need Margo to get a real fucking win.

• Love 4

I can see why the Dean would be sick of dealing with them, they're no longer students and they're always doing whatever they want which cause problems for everyone else.

I'm curious how Margo and Elliot are going to get out of the mob scenario.

Is there a reason why they can't just stab the Fairy Queen? 

• Love 2

Hale did such a great job in the reveal that Fray wasn't really their daughter. You could just see the information just go all over his face but it was also very subtle. He continues to be my favorite of the actors. The scene afterwards between Eliot and Fen was the best of the episode, as was the final scene with Kady and Penny. 

They've been really hitting it out of the park this season and watching it week-to-week instead of bingeing has been torture! I need more!! 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Poltargyst said:

I love Margo. "We're about to boil and dye like it's mother-effin Easter.

Did I mention I love Margo?

Ooooh, scary ending!

I find I want to BE Margo. I wish I was that quick with the insults. Also wish there was a way to quote her in real life. When did she become my favorite? Boss bitch indeed. I did love Margo and Eliot having a discussion about why they don't just cut ties with Fillory  and run home now that they can. That was a point that needed to be made and shows how awesome they both are.

And im still liking Q and Julia? What crazy world is this? This season has been on point.  The ending totally Surprised me and when it ended I actually looked at the time and freaked out that it was over. 

Edited by MissL
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

RIGHT? I was laughing about this last night with my husband. He has paired off with half the cast. 

6 hours ago, wayne67 said:

I can see why the Dean would be sick of dealing with them, they're no longer students and they're always doing whatever they want which cause problems for everyone else.

You can imagine, as well, that he has spent his entire career telling new and overconfident magicians not to do a particular thing, only to have them go an do it (disappearing half their class or turning themselves into a miffin, etc.).  I don't blame him for being over it. 

23 minutes ago, MissL said:

I find I want to BE Margo. I wish I was that quick with the insults. Also wish there was a way to quote her in real life. When did she become my favorite? Boss bitch indeed. I did love Margo and Eliot having a discussion about why they don't just cut ties with Fillory  and run home now that they can. That was a point that needed to be made and shows how awesome they both are. 

I loved this point too. I love that they both have chosen Fillory (and particularly Margo who made the point that she was never chosen herself). I think Margo and Eliot have had particularly enjoyable arcs, but Margo is my absolute favorite. 

• Love 7

Damn, Eliot and Margo just can't get a win against the damn fairy queen! I really need for them to defeat her by season's end. 

One thing that sort of didn't make sense: Fray apparently knew all along she wasn't really Eliot and Fen's daughter. That explains why she's loyal to the fairy queen. But then when the queen threatens to torture her and she says "but I was loyal to you!" the fairy queen says "yes, typical human behavior, betraying your own parents." But . . . . those aren't her parents and she knew it, so there was no betrayal on her part. The only betrayal was on the part of the fairy queen.

I also don't understand Harriet's part in all of this. What is she helping them do in exchange for them robbing the library? Originally she had some kind of spell that was supposed to cure Penny but they're past that point now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

My guess...he isn't pervy or arrogant or selfish, respects boundaries, doesn't objectify people, and aims to please and take care of the people he's around. It's one of the background currents in this show that I really enjoy...that sexism, lack of consent, pervy comments, etc. aren't used as humor...sometimes they are used to show character, but usually one of the "good" people will call out the bad behavior, or change their course of action when they see it's going in a problematic direction. Rape wasn't just added for an episode of drama, Julia was raped and it had real implications for the plot and was shown to have serious lasting consequences.

Quentin in particular is often saying things like "that was sexist" or "uh, problematic" after creeps do creep things. For women who are all too used to dealing with creeps and Nice Guys™ who are anything but nice, real decency can be quite a turn-on. And not just women...clearly the appeal is not lost on Eliot.

Edited by Enginerd
#notjustwomen
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, The Companion said:

I loved this point too. I love that they both have chosen Fillory (and particularly Margo who made the point that she was never chosen herself). I think Margo and Eliot have had particularly enjoyable arcs, but Margo is my absolute favorite. 

I really do love seeing how much Margo and Elliot have grown since the first season. When we met them, they were cheerfully hedonistic assholes (albeit fun assholes) who, while not bad people or anything, were pretty self centered. And now, they've been thrust into leading an entire magical country, and are working really hard to do the right thing by the most people, even if it means making lots of sacrifices. Its really great to see. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I really do love seeing how much Margo and Elliot have grown since the first season. When we met them, they were cheerfully hedonistic assholes (albeit fun assholes) who, while not bad people or anything, were pretty self centered. And now, they've been thrust into leading an entire magical country, and are working really hard to do the right thing by the most people, even if it means making lots of sacrifices. Its really great to see. 

I'm loving this as well. I've pretty much loved anything involving Eliot since moment one, but this storyline is really letting Hale stretch as an actor as well, and I have relished seeing so many sides of him. I am really sad that it seems Fray was not Eliot and Fen's daughter, though there's still a part of me which doesn't believe it, especially as they cast someone who really does look as though she could be. Especially since I don't want them go to some sort of trope of Eliot's being turned straight by the love of a good woman or something, but I did like the idea of his having a daughter. Between this and the "memory" of a son he and Quentin raised, I'm just getting all these "family" feelings associated with his character about now...*sigh*

• Love 2
On 22/02/2018 at 2:11 PM, Poltargyst said:

Seems a little harsh of Quentin to call Penny a dick given Penny's current circumstances.

Penny is regularly a dick. Mostly to Quentin, but still a dick. 

He tells her not to look in the cupboard?  What a dumbass.

"Make sure she doesn't look in this cupboard."

"Fen, do not look in this cupboard."

Dumbass!

On 22/02/2018 at 3:01 PM, The Companion said:

Penny continues kill me. The Penny and Kady scenes were so good. Someone needs to teach Kady to negotiate though. She is really better at punching. 

I'm a little bit in Quentin's corner when it comes to Penny usually. I mostly think he's been a dick (although calling Quentin a racist fuck was called for). But Penny has been so well used this season. I'm a little sad that people aren't sadder about what happened to him. But then I remember he made the dumbest deal with the Library ever in the history of ever.

On 22/02/2018 at 3:25 PM, HunterHunted said:

Chicks dig hot nerds. I would know. No further comment. But of all the cast, Quentin is the one I would be hot for. #justsaying 

• Love 7

Do we know what the Fairy Queen's end game is? I get she was doing something with transforming the land, but have they explained her reasons for doing things like making Margo marry the kid? I'm so over the fairy queen, she just bores me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AudienceofOne said:

Penny is regularly a dick. Mostly to Quentin, but still a dick. 

"Make sure she doesn't look in this cupboard."

"Fen, do not look in this cupboard."

Dumbass!

I'm a little bit in Quentin's corner when it comes to Penny usually. I mostly think he's been a dick (although calling Quentin a racist fuck was called for). But Penny has been so well used this season. I'm a little sad that people aren't sadder about what happened to him. But then I remember he made the dumbest deal with the Library ever in the history of ever.

Chicks dig hot nerds. I would know. No further comment. But of all the cast, Quentin is the one I would be hot for. #justsaying 

Really?  Not Penny?

• Love 1

Really?  Not Penny?

Personally I'm a fan of Todd. Quentin and Penny seem like hard work, Quentin because of his insecurities and depression and Penny because he's so bitter and sardonic all the time. 

Though with Ghost Penny we don't get to see him shirtless any more. lol 

I'm loving this as well. I've pretty much loved anything involving Eliot since moment one, but this storyline is really letting Hale stretch as an actor as well, and I have relished seeing so many sides of him. 

It's the opposite for me - I really didn't care for Eliot in Season 1. I just didn't find him appealing in any way. Now they've moved past the "mean girl in school" angst that characterized most of Season 1 and onto the Fillory stuff, though, Eliot  has really grown on me. 

• Love 2
On 2/22/2018 at 3:22 PM, Enginerd said:

My guess...he isn't pervy or arrogant or selfish, respects boundaries, doesn't objectify people, and aims to please and take care of the people he's around. It's one of the background currents in this show that I really enjoy...that sexism, lack of consent, pervy comments, etc. aren't used as humor...sometimes they are used to show character, but usually one of the "good" people will call out the bad behavior, or change their course of action when they see it's going in a problematic direction. Rape wasn't just added for an episode of drama, Julia was raped and it had real implications for the plot and was shown to have serious lasting consequences.

Quentin in particular is often saying things like "that was sexist" or "uh, problematic" after creeps do creep things. For women who are all too used to dealing with creeps and Nice Guys™ who are anything but nice, real decency can be quite a turn-on. And not just women...clearly the appeal is not lost on Eliot.

I agree with this description of Quentin's character and I also think he's pretty cute too.

• Love 1

Like many here I've really grown to love Eliot. He has real emotional depth and the actor is able to portray that. 

I don't like Poppy. I know the actress is a huge nerd favorite and I generally like her too, but here...it just somehow isn't working and really clangs with everything else on the show so complex and wonderful.

I'm loving that this show focuses on friendship. For a lot of people, friendship is a very important relationship and not just for the young until they find their romantic partner. We don't see this portrayed often and it makes me excited. Romance is such a fraught area for so many. In friendship these characters are finding genuine love. Just loving this show on so many levels.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

So, did Julia snort some dried fairy squeezings? Maybe they really are anthropomorphic magic mushrooms.

I thought maybe it was dried unicorn poo. Or other unicorn emission. She did say it was from a very rare magical creature and unicorns are white. 

I agree, I'm not super happy with Poppy. There are enough characters without her and she seems like a disruptive element, when we already have plenty of those.

Edited by Kathira
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I thought maybe it was dried unicorn poo.

She has captured faeries in her house. It's fairy excretion. 

9 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

I don't like Poppy. I know the actress is a huge nerd favorite and I generally like her too, but here...it just somehow isn't working and really clangs with everything else on the show so complex and wonderful.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I agree, I'm not super happy with Poppy. There are enough characters without her and she seems like a disruptive element, when we already have plenty of those.

Spoiler

Books.

I love Felicia Day a lot but she's playing Poppy like a guest star in a sitcom. Tonally, it's just not working for me.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2018 at 7:49 PM, KaleyFirefly said:

I agree with this description of Quentin's character and I also think he's pretty cute too.

He looks and acts exactly like a young Anderson Cooper to me...complete with all the neurotic twitchiness and "uncomfortable in his own skin" thing..

Edited by Christi
15 hours ago, Christi said:

He looks exactly like a young Anderson Cooper to me...complete with all the neurotic twitchiness and "uncomfortable in his own skin" thing

Yeah...I can see that, eye color aside. The whole cast is full of very pretty people. I found it interesting to sort of gauge, in the first few episodes, which faces were going to start affecting me the most (I know I generally manage to develop a bit of a crush - and occasionally a huge one - on some character/actor in most shows that I really get into, and given that it's been a lifelong pattern, these days I just sort of stand back behind my brain and watch it develop, if that makes any sense). And it was hard to tell, because Quentin has a cool sort of quirky face, of the sort which generally appeals to me; Penny is just flat-out gorgeous, and I've even had a bit of a girl-crush on Kady who has that sort of old-school Elizabeth Taylor sort of beauty... But Eliot made me smile from his first scene, and by about the fourth or fifth episode I was finding him completely captivating. I love that behind his facade, there's such an undercurrent of gentleness that rather makes me think of a young Gene Wilder, who I found so attractive for rather the same reason.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The whole cast is full of very pretty people.

It sure is. I love them all but I knew from the first episode that my main crush would be on Julia. When I first saw Quentin I was like damn, David Boreanaz and Stephen from The Vampire Diaries had a baby, lol. I love him though and he has a very expressive face. With Eliot, all the feels come from his eyes. Those lovely eloquent eyes. Penny is just straight up gorgeous as is Kady. Well that was a fun dip in the shallow end of the pool. Loved your post, @Jynnan tonnix, I usually operate the same way about who I'm going to crush on on a show. Sometimes though I just get grabbed right from the start and this time it was Julia.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, festivus said:

It sure is. I love them all but I knew from the first episode that my main crush would be on Julia. When I first saw Quentin I was like damn, David Boreanaz and Stephen from The Vampire Diaries had a baby, lol. I love him though and he has a very expressive face. With Eliot, all the feels come from his eyes. Those lovely eloquent eyes. Penny is just straight up gorgeous as is Kady. Well that was a fun dip in the shallow end of the pool. Loved your post, @Jynnan tonnix, I usually operate the same way about who I'm going to crush on on a show. Sometimes though I just get grabbed right from the start and this time it was Julia.

Love your post as well! I do have to say, though, as a very teeth-centered person, that while I do love the feels that Eliot's eyes kick up, it's his smile that completely melts me. When he smiles, he just becomes a complete thing of beauty to my eyes. *sigh*

And to stick a bit of an addendum on his already lengthy soak in the shallow end, I do get your fascination with Julia. While she is not on the classically pretty end of the spectrum, I do love her features and find myself trying to analyze them quite a bit.  She's a very complex character as well, and while her place in the major scheme of things isn't always clear, it's always interesting to think about.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Love your post as well! I do have to say, though, as a very teeth-centered person, that while I do love the feels that Eliot's eyes kick up, it's his smile that completely melts me. When he smiles, he just becomes a complete thing of beauty to my eyes. *sigh*

He does have a lovely smile. Good thing they didn't go with the description of Eliot from the books. He was described as having a twisted jaw and jagged teeth. TBH I never could get a picture of him in my mind when I read them, I didn't quite understand his description. I had a good mental picture of everyone else though.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, festivus said:

He does have a lovely smile. Good thing they didn't go with the description of Eliot from the books. He was described as having a twisted jaw and jagged teeth. TBH I never could get a picture of him in my mind when I read them, I didn't quite understand his description. I had a good mental picture of everyone else though.

I haven't read the books, but, as I said, I am a very teeth-centered person, and that description doesn't really throw me...I do enjoy a lot of smiles with, if not "jagged" teeth, at least ones with a few overlaps in the structure (think a young David Bowie), and maybe that's what the author meant.

15 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I haven't read the books, but, as I said, I am a very teeth-centered person, and that description doesn't really throw me...I do enjoy a lot of smiles with, if not "jagged" teeth, at least ones with a few overlaps in the structure (think a young David Bowie), and maybe that's what the author meant.

So weird. David Bowie was the closest picture I had when trying to get a picture of Eliot and it was because of the teeth. It was the twisted jaw thing that threw me though, I never did understand what the author meant by that. I think I'll go google some fan art, maybe someone out there had an idea of it. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, festivus said:

So weird. David Bowie was the closest picture I had when trying to get a picture of Eliot and it was because of the teeth. It was the twisted jaw thing that threw me though, I never did understand what the author meant by that. I think I'll go google some fan art, maybe someone out there had an idea of it. 

I think what they meant with twisted jaw is that the top and bottom teeth don't line up. They are misaligned either side to side or front to back (meaning either one set of teeth is shifted to the right or left or they result in a severe underbite). I've seen it recently in the Little Women series, if you happen to watch that. Monie has the side shift and Cayleigh has the underbite. If you look up images of twisted jaw, you usually can't really see it to where you think someone looks deformed, but you can see it when they talk.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zanne said:

I think what they meant with twisted jaw is that the top and bottom teeth don't line up. They are misaligned either side to side or front to back (meaning either one set of teeth is shifted to the right or left or they result in a severe underbite). I've seen it recently in the Little Women series, if you happen to watch that. Monie has the side shift and Cayleigh has the underbite. If you look up images of twisted jaw, you usually can't really see it to where you think someone looks deformed, but you can see it when they talk.

Yeah, if you google images of a twisted jaw this is mostly the sort of thing which comes up. I know a few people who could fall under that description. While I'm sure it can cause some bite issues, it can give a face a sort of wry expression which is not necessarily unattractive. 

She has captured faeries in her house. It's fairy excretion. 

Are fairies "very rare" though? Or did she just say that because she doesn't want them to know she (possibly) has captive fairies doing her housework? I have to believe they are eventually going to revisit this issue - surely they didn't just throw them in there not to have any follow-up.

• Love 1
On 2/21/2018 at 10:12 PM, festivus said:

The Dean has become such an asshole. I <3 him. I also like it when that Brakebills teacher shows up and throws some snark.

I actually find myself being sad that Fray wasn't really Eliot and Fen's daughter. I had hoped Eliot might get the chance to be a father again since he remembers that he ended up doing a good job at it. Poor Fen, family was all she wanted.

I'm glad that Julia and Alice understand each other better now, Alice has not been coming off well. I think they can be good for each other.

Quentin and Poppy, hmm. Don't know what to think about that. 

On 2/21/2018 at 11:25 PM, HunterHunted said:

I loved that the fairy queen (I'm not capitalizing on purpose because the bitch doesn't deserve it) didn't get the reference and Margo refused to explain it. That's how you know Margo is a boss bitch.

The reveal that Fray wasn't Eliot and Fen's child was so sad. Assuming it's true, I hope Fray goes back to all of the kidnapped humans and leads a revolt. Fuck these melanin challenged assholes.

On 2/22/2018 at 7:28 AM, Indigo Luna said:

Hale did such a great job in the reveal that Fray wasn't really their daughter. You could just see the information just go all over his face but it was also very subtle. He continues to be my favorite of the actors. The scene afterwards between Eliot and Fen was the best of the episode, as was the final scene with Kady and Penny. 

They've been really hitting it out of the park this season and watching it week-to-week instead of bingeing has been torture! I need more!! 

The actor that plays Elliot is amazing and hope to see him in more things in the future.  The whole cast is good looking, even the supposed "nerd".  I felt so sorry for Fen...to find out your baby died like that must be devastating.

Margo is amazing and will always be my queen.  I wish she would get a little happiness once in a while.

Can anyone tell me why Alice is always dressed in clothing that is too tight or too small?  Is this a character trait?

Seriously, Alice dresses horribly.  I have assume its a writer's choice, and trying to figure it out.  She's attractive enough without the emphasis, and if they really want to show the girls, there's other clothing she could wear to show off the assets. the clothing she wears just make one think she's wearing an ill-fitting bra, or otherwise poor choice of tops.  But its such a trope, woman dressing "look at me!  look how sexy I am!"  Why are you looking at me?  Why are you propositioning me for sex?"

Margo would have been better off not to have said a word to Todd about the eggs.  She had to know what an idiot he is.  One of her mistakes.

And was the deal to get the tub just to make sure all of Fillory could see the fairies?  I thought it also had something to do with making the fairies dry out.  Why would Elliot and Margo get into a carriage operated by fairies?  That doesn't seem smart.  I do hope they get the people on their side to take out the faires.

Too bad Julia didn't see the captured fairies previously, and could tell Margo and Elliot how to capture the queen.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Seriously, Alice dresses horribly.  I have assume its a writer's choice, and trying to figure it out.  She's attractive enough without the emphasis, and if they really want to show the girls, there's other clothing she could wear to show off the assets. the clothing she wears just make one think she's wearing an ill-fitting bra, or otherwise poor choice of tops.  But its such a trope, woman dressing "look at me!  look how sexy I am!"  Why are you looking at me?  Why are you propositioning me for sex?"

I actually thought it might be a nod to her upbringing. She is choosing conservative clothes, but her idea of conservative is a little more revealing and just a little tighter than you would expect because her frame of reference is a house where people are wandering around naked. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, doram said:

Doylian:

Watsonian:

Genius,

I will continue being Doylian. Also, I have a computer now whereas when I wrote that I just had my phone. Verbosity and phone keyboards are not friends.

I think this relates to how Alice and Julia were contrasted in the first season.

Julia dresses in a utilitarian way, in dark colours that accentuate her angular figure and lack of traditional femininity. Julia was about modernity, logic, rationalism and feminism. I still believe the writers thought they were writing a super-feminist character who was fighting back against male-dominated Ivy-league privilege as represented by Brakebills.

(Thankfully they've course-corrected but I still can't believe how far the Julia they wrote was from what they thought they were writing.)

Alice in contrast was supposed to be more Earthy and therefore more aligned with magic. The tight clothes accentuate her old-fashioned Rubenesque figure, associated culturally with fertility. Her concerns were magic, family, relationships as opposed to power and equality. Quentin's love of Alice and its implied rejection of Julia showed his acceptance of the world of magic and his chosen isolation from the 'real world'.

Because this is a TV show, people don't change their clothes unless it serves the narrative so here we are. Alice is still in pastel too-tight sweaters and Julia is still in jeans and tshirts even though they've attained a parity in terms of their motivations and concerns.