Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E08: Week 8

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Okay, Kendall completely lost me in this episode.  "I love taxidermy because it honours the animal."  "OMG, Arie, let's stuff these dead mice skins, dress them up in clothes, and then play with them like dolls as we suck face over them."  Yeah, that's real honour, Kendall.  

• Love 18
6 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

I didn't watch that season. So I'm assuming she was popular with the viewers then?

No, not really. Now that I think about it, she was also one of the women who said mean things about Vienna, who ended up being Jake's final pick. Ali was quite savvy though in that she didn't take it upon herself to "warn" Jake about Vienna - she got another woman to do it for her, who was promptly eliminated.

• Love 3

Given I think they are a godawful final four, and I spend the whole show blending Arie's latest discoloured makeup in my head, I really enjoyed that! It also made me feel really good about my neck!

I shouted out like it was some sort of personal victory when Tia got the boot, in favor of keeping Kendall. If they bring Tia back as Bach'ette I will not be at all pleased, though. Hell to the no.

I thought Arie held up admirably with all sorts of peculiar and awkward family dynamics. Even if he's a player, he has a kind heart and a general goodwill. I wonder do they issue the Bachelors with backbraces as that is just an (UnReal style) medical issue waiting to happen, that revolting flying leap and frog grip around the waist all of Daddy's little girls do on this show. And he got four of them, one after the other, of differing heights and weights. Brace yourself, buddy.

I can finally see what there is between him and Lauren - but then the editing of the show is weird if she's to be his and my bride, so I am hoping for something real curly up ahead!

Edited by violet and green
typos
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, PhysNerd said:

Tia's arm tattoo just ruined her whole look during the rose ceremony for me. I'm not a fan of tattoos, so I'm biased.  

I so greatly dislike those types of large, obvious and common looking tattoos.  I find them unattractive and off putting.  And her filthy mouth just puts the cherry on top.  But I don't care for Tia anyway, so there's that.....

If they make her the next season lead, I will boycott it exactly the way I did Nick's season.  

• Love 13
1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

No, not really. Now that I think about it, she was also one of the women who said mean things about Vienna, who ended up being Jake's final pick. Ali was quite savvy though in that she didn't take it upon herself to "warn" Jake about Vienna - she got another woman to do it for her, who was promptly eliminated.

Exactly so I'm hoping that will be Tia's downfall but you just don't ever know with this show.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I speak Portuguese and Spanish and I really hate this question.  I feel like a zoo animal or something and it puts me on the spot to "perform".  It's different if someone asks me to teach them something, but to just be like "say something!" I find that rude.  Like if you want to know what a language sounds like without learning anything about it well just Google it.  Pet peeve.

"You have a very lovely home and I'm happy to be here with you all". 

Not a hugely challenging phrase to have come up with.  Seriously, he could have trotted it out at every house, and they'd all have been charmed.  He was lazy.  

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Exactly so I'm hoping that will be Tia's downfall but you just don't ever know with this show.

But in a way Ali was worse because you could see her manipulating people for her own gain. Tia genuinely believed she was doing Arie a favor, so TPTB can spin it as a positive character trait. For the record, I don't want Tia as Bachelorette if she keeps the trashy persona. Just because she keeps finding new ways to use the f-word doesn't make her witty or entertaining.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, leighdear said:

For those of you who don't like being asked to "say something" in a different language, why don't you say something like, "Wow! What an offensive request, and you're an idiot for asking!" as mellifluously as possible?  Then if they ask what you said, just say, "I'm not telling." 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Not a hugely challenging phrase to have come up with.  Seriously, he could have trotted it out at every house, and they'd all have been charmed.  He was lazy.  

Not everyone uses their first language in their new country.  My older brother moved here when he was 10 and he can't just revert back immediately and whenever people want him to.  He needs time to re-accommodate himself.  Some people are out of practice.   He's far from the only example I know of personally.  That's just one of the reasons that it's rude, especially with a stranger, in my opinion.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

But in a way Ali was worse because you could see her manipulating people for her own gain. Tia genuinely believed she was doing Arie a favor, so TPTB can spin it in her favor. For the record, I don't want Tia as Bachelorette if she keeps the trashy persona. Just because she keeps finding new ways to use the f-word doesn't make her witty or entertaining.

I don't know I think she might have been trying to convince herself she was doing it in his best interest but deep down she knew exactly what she was doing. I think she thought if she told Bekah what she had done that it would erase any negativity her actions might warrant. But she 's an intelligent woman and she had to know that her words could have planted some doubt in Arie's mind and that was her intentions. I think she did it out of desperation and jealousy.

But I see your point in that if TPTB want her as B'ette they will spin it that way. I'm just not buying it.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 4

No Tia, please! The Weiner jokes would never end.

Kendall, Becca or Lauren are all Bachelorette material. In fact, Lauren would be perfect as the men would think they were going for Emily 2.0, although I'd love to see Jacqueline because she is so pretty and there is some "there" there with her.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, bosawks said:

If he picks Lauren I just imagine Thanksgiving dinner with everyone sitting around the table blinking at each other and going "mmmm" then going home and saying how good the conversation was at dinner.

Lauren did say she and Arie can look at each other from across the room and know what the other is thinking without saying anything. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, TheFinalRose said:

No Tia, please! The Weiner jokes would never end.

Kendall, Becca or Lauren are all Bachelorette material. In fact, Lauren would be perfect as the men would think they were going for Emily 2.0, although I'd love to see Jacqueline because she is so pretty and there is some "there" there with her.

5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'd pick Seinne.  None of the others interest me.  Caroline is really pretty though.   Maybe Chelsea.

I think any of these women would be better than Tia. Well except maybe Lauren. I don't think she has enough personality to carry a show. 

• Love 6

Anyone remember Wes from ... was it Des's season? I can't remember. I just remember Wes, "that bird's got one leg," and his showboating in the limo ride. He never would say or do anything TPTB wanted him to say/do, they just kept driving him around. I think he eventually fell asleep during the drive.

51 minutes ago, leighdear said:

More likely they all would have thought he was a pompous and conceited European smart ass. Which he would have been, speaking a foreign language to "look smart" in front of stupid Americans. He could have been telling them all to bite his butt for all they knew. (Which would have been my inclination if I were asked to trot out and perform for people I had just freaking met.)

I agree that making someone say something in another language is the same as making the monkey dance for your entertainment. I hate it when men say "Smile, give me a smile" to women. Makes me stabby.

• Love 10

I was completely shocked by Tia getting the boot.  However I'm thinking about the dates now and she was the only one who didn't really show off what she likes or who she is.*   She designed a day that involved racing because that's what she knew he would like it not necessarily because she would enjoy it.  It was a very calculated move that I think ultimately did her in.   Kendall didn't try and hide her quirkiness and designed a day that showcased her.  Becca chose the apple picking day  because that's what she likes to do in  the fall**.  Lauren picked the silent horseback riding day because that fits her to a tee.    Arie has been on dates all season that he  (i.e. the producers) had to put the thought in and really focused on his interests.  I think if I was in the situation I would feel a bit annoyed that my date went the easy way out by picking a known and established interest of mine instead of putting more thought in it.  Like, show me what you like.  I know what I like!   I think it might have clarified to him that Tia was more in love with the idea of being in love with him than the actually reality of him.     Because when you actually really like/love someone, you want to show that person all of you.  Not just what you think they would want.    

*It could of been 100% edited out though.

**she also probably instagrams her #firstPSLoftheseason

• Love 6
4 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

FAKE BEAUTY TWINS! FAKE TEETH, FAKE HAIR, FAKE BOOBS, FAKE EYELASHES, FAKE TAN....

Well. one thing about Emily is that she has beautiful eyes, and they give off a warmth and a sense of some intelligence behind her looks. Not so with Lauren. Lauren has dead eyes.

• Love 18
8 minutes ago, LBS said:

She designed a day that involved racing because that's what she knew he would like it not necessarily because she would enjoy it.  It was a very calculated move that I think ultimately did her in.

Oh, not really. None of these b-ettes "designed" their day with Arie. Every single one was created for them, down to the stuffing-the-rat-skins date that everyone everywhere is talking about. (A big win for Fleiss.) TPTB had already done the shooting and mud rassling Arkansas redneck date so the race car thing was the best dirt-road date they could come up with.

Tia was never going to be in Arie's final final for so many reasons that have nothing to do with a producer-driven car-driving date.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone remember Wes from ... was it Des's season? I can't remember. I just remember Wes, "that bird's got one leg," and his showboating in the limo ride. He never would say or do anything TPTB wanted him to say/do, they just kept driving him around. I think he eventually fell asleep during the drive.

LOL, that was Jillian

• Love 1

I don’t think Tia would be the self-confident Bachelorette I want to watch, based on her “boohoo why can’t I ever get me a man” departure. Emily was such a strong Bachelorette with an outgoing personality and every bachelor on her season adored her; I think Becca could pull that off but we haven’t been shown a single sparkle from her. Kendall is great but now is tied to the creepy stuffed zoo (and fwiw I call fake on most of that menagerie—seriously, a buffalo? In her parents’ house? Producer hijinks imo building on a single creature someone gave her as a joke) and she won’t cut it. Lauren might get the guys loving her but she is really introverted. Seinne and Jacqueline for co-Bachelorettes with their crazy sidekick Kendall!

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Token said:

Wait a minute.... when did Seinne go home?!?  I just realised that she's not there anymore.  But I don't even remember her leaving.  Was it last week?

Yes, last week. She had a one-on-one date (eating a nice happy lunch with the truffle hunter's family) and Arie couldn't give her the rose at dinner that night, so she went home on her date.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I didn't understand the giant taxidermy warehouse. Is this her place of business or is it just where she keeps her collection? It was HUGE! I don't understand how she is renting this space or if it is at her house or what?

exactly--I think the whole thing was staged.

• Love 5

I kind of assumed it was some kind of taxidermy museum or warehouse that the show rented for the date. I didn't get the impression those were all her property or work. I could be wrong, I admittedly don't pay that much attention, but unless her dad (or mom, don't want to be sexist) is a professional taxidermist, I don't imagine all of those belong to an amateur. 

• Love 5

Yeah, that was a stuffed-animal warehouse full of what are probably tv/movie props. Kendall works as a set designer on tv shows. I've been to warehouses owned by rental companies that supply the movie and tv industry ... they have fascinating stuff. (Stuff ... ha ha.)

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I didn't understand the giant taxidermy warehouse. Is this her place of business or is it just where she keeps her collection? It was HUGE! I don't understand how she is renting this space or if it is at her house or what?

From the outside it looked like a storage unit.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Token said:

Okay, Kendall completely lost me in this episode.  "I love taxidermy because it honours the animal."  "OMG, Arie, let's stuff these dead mice skins, dress them up in clothes, and then play with them like dolls as we suck face over them."  Yeah, that's real honour, Kendall.  

My sister has a bunch of stuffed dead animals at her cabin. She says she thinks they are peaceful. Well, I guess, yes...because they are dead. I hate them.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, that was a stuffed-animal warehouse full of what are probably tv/movie props. Kendall works as a set designer on tv shows. I've been to warehouses owned by rental companies that supply the movie and tv industry ... they have fascinating stuff. (Stuff ... ha ha.)

I understand a prop warehouse having previously "mounted" taxidermy, but do they also provide freshly skinned rat carcasses?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LBS said:

**she also probably instagrams her #firstPSLoftheseason

I have no idea what this means, I stared at it for a few minutes, PSL?

Anyway - Kendall is gorgeous, in my opinion.  but the taxidermy gives me a weird Norman Bates vibe - from the TV show, Bates Motel, where Norman spent his free time in the basement with dead animals.  CREEPY.  And a date where you have to handle a dead rat skin?  disgusting.  I wish Arie had just said, "Kendal you're a beautiful weirdo, but I don't think this will work out.  I don't want a house decorated with dead animals, I don't want to raise children who play with dead animals, I'm out of here."  and walked away. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I understand a prop warehouse having previously "mounted" taxidermy, but do they also provide freshly skinned rat carcasses?

The show provided those. They were two of the interns hired to do the chyron. That's what happens when you think Alaska would ever have a Weiner in it! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

More likely they all would have thought he was a pompous and conceited European smart ass. Which he would have been, speaking a foreign language to "look smart" in front of stupid Americans. He could have been telling them all to bite his butt for all they knew. (Which would have been my inclination if I were asked to trot out and perform for people I had just freaking met.)

I agree that making someone say something in another language is the same as making the monkey dance for your entertainment. I hate it when men say "Smile, give me a smile" to women. Makes me stabby.

My high-school best friend had an Austrian mother and grew up speaking both English and German at home. When people would ask her to say something in German, she’d tell them they were fat assholes who should eat shit and then translate it as, “The weather is lovely today,” and we’d all get a big kick out of it.  

• Love 8

OK, I'm watching this right now and am at Becca's home town. First there's a few shots downtown along the river - just a few blocks from where I work - then they are at Minnetonka Orchards, which is just a few miles from my house! I've been there a couple of times. I'd say it's around 30 miles from Prior Lake since I'm 25 miles from my brother's place in PL. I wonder when they shot those scenes. I was probably at my cubicle at work.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

OK, I'm watching this right now and am at Becca's home town. First there's a few shots downtown along the river - just a few blocks from where I work - then they are at Minnetonka Orchards, which is just a few miles from my house! I've been there a couple of times. I'd say it's around 30 miles from Prior Lake since I'm 25 miles from my brother's place in PL. I wonder when they shot those scenes. I was probably at my cubicle at work.

I know!   I was born and raised in a Stillwater, live just across the border in WI now.  How did we miss that they were filming this?

I love Becca’s family.  Strong sturdy Minnesotans. 

• Love 3

Taxidermists don’t do mounts with freshly skinned animal skin. It has to be cleaned and tanned - so no smell and no ick factor when you’re creating the mount. (Tanning gives the flesh side a leather like feel, drying it out and preserving it.) 

I love Stillwater, MN. We lived there for a number of years. Iwould move there again.??

• Love 3

OK, now I'm looking closely at the downtown shot in the opening montage. The shot is taken upstream along the Mississippi River along the shore in northeast Minneapolis. The greenery across the river in front of the downtown buildings is Nicollet Island, I believe, although it could be Boom Island. I thought maybe I could see my workplace but the building is too low to show in the distance.

There's a nice shot of the Stone Arch bridge which is about three blocks up from where I work. The lakefront shot could be Prior Lake or maybe Lake Minnetonka which is a few miles from the orchard. Anyhow that opening lakefront scene is not in Minneapolis, no matter what the chyron says, because the lakes in Minneapolis are also parks and there are not homes right up on the lakefront like that (exception is part of Cedar Lake).

I'll have to go to the orchard to see the tree where they carved their initials!  Becca's hometown - all those intent faces around the table!  I'm wondering why they didn't mention that guy Becca was with all those years? A bad relationship doesn't compare to her dad's death and her mom's cancer, but I'd think they would want to make sure he's not going to be another dud.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Those were not "freshly skinned" rat pelts. Hides/pelts are tanned and cured before they can be mounted ... or turned into a stole or collar or muff or anything else. Those rat pelts were totally clean, they had no smell, no nothing, they were just hides that already had the "fake" heads/faces put on. You can buy pelts many different places, including eBay. A white-rat pelt sells for around $10 MOL.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LBS said:

@backformore  PSL = pumpkin spiced latte.  I see it all over Instagram and Facebook in the fall ??‍♀️

Thank you. I am notoriously bad with acronyms.

(And, frankly, always thought pumpkin spice stuff was overrated.)

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Becca’s hometown. Somehow there are barely any leaves on these apple trees, yet, there are still apples. There are also no other customers. This is unlike any you-pick apple orchard I’ve ever seen, which gets masses of people swarming, picking the trees bare.

Apples ripen in the fall, so yeah, that is normal. Not sure when this was filmed, probably late October. My guess is that the orchard was closed for the day because of filming so there wouldn't be tons of people around. Also they did not show the main area so there could have been other people there, just not in the parts where they were filming. The place is pretty big.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kendra143 said:

Taxidermists don’t do mounts with freshly skinned animal skin. It has to be cleaned and tanned - so no smell and no ick factor when you’re creating the mount. (Tanning gives the flesh side a leather like feel, drying it out and preserving it.) 

I love Stillwater, MN. We lived there for a number of years. Iwould move there again.??

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Those were not "freshly skinned" rat pelts. Hides/pelts are tanned and cured before they can be mounted ... or turned into a stole or collar or muff or anything else. Those rat pelts were totally clean, they had no smell, no nothing, they were just hides that already had the "fake" heads/faces put on. You can buy pelts many different places, including eBay. A white-rat pelt sells for around $10 MOL.

OK, that makes more sense, but it's still gross. No way am I ever touching any part of a rodent, alive, dead, tanned, or taxidermied.

• Love 8
On 2/19/2018 at 8:25 PM, Jazzhands said:

These people are killing me.  I’ve lost at least 20 IQ points since the last commercial break.  SO DULL.  

I had two thoughts during Lauren's visit, either they're all devout introverts and they were just having all their energy sucked out by the presence of so many people in the house, or there's something going on there with dad being ex military and the family has learned to keep quiet or face the wrath.  Just speculation.

• Love 10
On 2/19/2018 at 8:47 PM, Jazzhands said:

What, you mean the Bachelor Handshake™️? ?

OMFG!  That was hilarious!

23 hours ago, backformore said:

me neither. It seems dangerous.  jump a little bit off, and the guy could fall over, or sprain his back.  It also seems WAY too intimate, pressing your lady bits up against him (and dangerous, if he has a belt buckle) 

I've also never, as an adult, entered a hotel suite and jumped on the bed.  And there's a screechy noise that these women make that has never been made by my vocal cords. 

Great tips!

You guys are on fire tonight.

I gotta say - I like the pics of the rats.  Ok, ok, I'm not a big animal fan - disclaimer:  I would never hurt one or want anyone to hurt one, I just won't live with one.

I totally want Krystal to be the next b-Ette.  Just imagine her manipulations trying to get the richest and most desirable bachelor.  And the guys looks of confusion and then horror as they clue into her and try to escape followed by Krystal becoming more delusional and desperate.  It would be a race to the smarminest and most shallow man left.  I wonder if Dean May, Tara Reid’s fake boyfriend from Marriage Boot Camp is available?  Match made in heaven.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

A bad relationship doesn't compare to her dad's death and her mom's cancer

That reminds me, didn't Becca (or someone in the family) say her dad died of brain cancer?  Poor Becca, I hope she's taking care of herself & getting tested on a regular basis, cancer from both parents is pretty scary stuff.