Type keyword(s) to search

Olympic commercials

A place to discuss Olympic-themed commercials and commercials featuring Winter Olympians (hope this thread is ok)...

Haven't seen that many apart from the NBC promos leading up to the games featuring the likes of Lindsey Vonn ("this girl is on fire") and Michaela Shiffrin (let's alienate half the viewing population by having her say that her entire race mentality is to beat the boys).

About the only ones I have noticed are Ashley Wagner.  I loathe her.  But apart from the fact that she isn't here (har har!) the one that makes absolutely no sense is her in a red dress, skating on a pond with a tree right in the middle of it.  She monologues about what a strong woman she is or something like that, then she falls through the ice which has become water, but she doesn't panic, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  Or something.  I have no idea what it is even supposed to advertise.  

I have also noticed the United commercial with Erin Hamlin and JR Celski and someone else.  And some shampoo commercial with Gus Kenworthy.

Surprised that I haven't seen any with Shaun White, considering that he is one of only three people (Shiffrin, Vonn) that NBC thinks are in these Olympics.  Although Adam Rippon is getting a disproportionate amount of attention, I bet he gets some commercial post-games.

• Love 5

I just saw the SunTrust commercial with the little girl who's one of those kids who skates around after the figure skaters finish, picking up the stuffed animals. She daydreams that she's a figure skater and they play the Flashdance music "What A Feeling".  The kid is seriously cute!  I couldn't find the commercial on line, but I found an article about the little girl: https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/07/colorado-springs-figure-skater-olympics-commercial/

And last night I saw a "Salute!" promo featuring the US women. They did a really great one for the Rio Olympics with a slightly different version of the song.  I couldn't find the new one, but I found the video from Rio on this web page if you're interested: http://www.nbcsports.com/video/female-olympians-salute

• Love 4

I know it's not an Olympic commercial per se, but what is the piano piece that plays during the ubiquitous Peloton commercial that is airing? It's a lovely piece of music and I'm wondering if it's from a larger work or if it was just "noodled" for this commercial.

I liked the Olympic promos that NBC ran during the Superbowl. There was Chloe Kim and her dad, plus Nathan Chen skating to James Brown.

Toyota supports a couple of current US Olympians but I haven't seen any commercials with them.

I can't remember if it was on NBCSN or just online but Lindsey Vonn has a commercial for Bounty.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I have also noticed the United commercial with Erin Hamlin and JR Celski and someone else.  And some shampoo commercial with Gus Kenworthy.

United has at least two variations in their ad campaign and also include Nikko Landeros, Jamie Anderson, Gus Kenworthy and Nathan Chen. A bit dorky but works.

13 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

I know it's not an Olympic commercial per se, but what is the piano piece that plays during the ubiquitous Peloton commercial that is airing? It's a lovely piece of music and I'm wondering if it's from a larger work or if it was just "noodled" for this commercial.

September Song by Agnes Obel?

Toyota has a nice one about a Para-Olympian who was born with no lower left arm and no lower legs. It starts with a scene in the hospital with a nurse holding her up and a countdown at the bottom saying "1 out of 200,000,000 (or some such number) chance of being an Olympian" and then shows her growing up and beating the odds -- learning to walk, taking ballet, etc. And in each scene the number keeps dropping until she's skiing and it says 1 out of 1. Here name is Lauren Woolstencroft. I looked her up. She's Canadian, but it looks like she's been retired since 2010. Cool ad either way. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, halopub said:

Toyota supports a couple of current US Olympians but I haven't seen any commercials with them.

They have a really nice one with failed-to-qualify speedskater Sugar Todd that was airing on NBCSN and the Olympic Channel all winter long. 

Ashley Wagner definitely didn’t bully her way onto the 2014 team though! She had been the one bright spot in Us ladies for a few seasons at that point. She also ended up being the skater to end the Us ladies worlds medal drought a couple of seasons later. US ladies except for Mirai are kind of boring without her...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mehtotheworld said:

Ashley Wagner definitely didn’t bully her way onto the 2014 team though! She had been the one bright spot in Us ladies for a few seasons at that point. She also ended up being the skater to end the Us ladies worlds medal drought a couple of seasons later. US ladies except for Mirai are kind of boring without her...

Ah ok, off topic since this thread is about Olympic commercials, but she did finish fourth at the US Championships in 2014 behind third placed Mirai, but was given the spot due to her  international experience, if I remember the phrase correctly.  Just didn't seem fair to Mirai.  She was lobbying to get on this year's team after another fourth place finish, but this time to no avail.  She's the first alternate, so I believe she is in PyeongChang, but probably only as a bittersweet spectator and supporter.

I like the Visa commercials.  I love the one of Mikaela cutting back and forth between her races, relaxing in a bathtub, etc.  I don't feel that she's so overexposed, but then again, it's not like we see much about her on tv in between Olympics, so I don't really care even if she is.  I think she's pretty, seems really mature for her age, and hopefully has a long career ahead of her.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

Ah ok, off topic since this thread is about Olympic commercials, but she did finish fourth at the US Championships in 2014 behind third placed Mirai, but was given the spot due to her  international experience, if I remember the phrase correctly.  Just didn't seem fair to Mirai.  She was lobbying to get on this year's team after another fourth place finish, but this time to no avail.  She's the first alternate, so I believe she is in PyeongChang, but probably only as a bittersweet spectator and supporter.

To go further off topic! Ashley Wagner was always going to be named to the 2014 team because of her international record (pretty much the only one who had been doing anything for US ladies for at least a couple of seasons). Mirai was pretty much in competition with Polina Edmunds, not Wagner, and the selection committee chose Edmunds, the young upstart, over Mirai, who seemed past her prime but surprisingly did well at nationals. Kind of sucks because Edmunds hasn't done much since (to be fair to her, she was injured at some point). It's kind of like Ross Miner vs. Vincent Zhou this year, with Adam Rippon pretty much set as a pick despite finishing 4th, although Rippon's selection was probably less of a sure thing than Wagner's in 2014.

I confess to feeling bad for Ashley, especially since I'm a fan of hers. That Toyota commercial would obviously have made much more sense had she been selected to go this year. (US ladies would also have been much more interesting!). Instead of rising above her challenges to make the Olympics again, it's more of a rising above the disappointment of not making the Olympics, which is kind of a confusing message for a commercial airing during the Olympics...

• Love 1

The Air Canada commercials...voiced by Deadpool.  Well Ryan Reynolds but I half expect him to pull a fast one at the end of the ad.

3 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I love the one of Mikaela cutting back and forth between her races, relaxing in a bathtub, etc

Well relaxing in a bath tub full of ice like it's no big deal.

• Love 2

I am getting really annoyed at the pop-up Toyota commercials that are being shown during figure skating (and other places). The skater comes off the ice and then it abruptly goes to what looks to be a commercial and then back to the skater. I guess it is a substitute for having a graphic appear on the corner, but it is making my head spin. Plus a couple of times it has faked me out and I leave only to find that I missed something between the skater and the coach. Not cool, Toyota. 

• Love 2

I know that some are sick of seeing Lindsey Vonn, but she is one of the stars of this US team.  I got really pumped watching the NBC promo for tonight's downhill.  The one where it shows footage of Lindsey as a little toddler on skis, then when she was growing up and first competing, and then finally as a pro.  The flipping between childhood footage and pro footage was amazing.  Truly inspiring and probably instills hope in kids everywhere that one day, they too might be standing atop an Olympic podium.

Excuse me now while I go put my toddler on skis...

• Love 6

The ultra ultra ultra loud commercials with the music...I think they are Subway commercials.  I am not sure because as soon as the music starts blasting, I reach for the remote; afraid ears and gums would start bleeding if I left it on.  I like the Sumo guy, too.

• Love 2

I was never going to watch "Rise" anyway because of Josh Radnor and my "How I Met Your Mother" PTSD (#NeverForget) but even with a different lead I would still avoid it because the endless commercials are driving me insane.

• Love 3
On 2/16/2018 at 11:25 PM, GreekGeek said:

I love the sumo figure skater in the Geico ads. I thought he actually moves pretty well for such a big guy.

The best part of that one is the momentary shot of the woman's skater off in the wings with an absolutely magnificent bitchface going on as, presumably, she sees herself being outscored. Points for accuracy in representing the sport, Geico!

• Love 7

In Canada they've been playing the shit out of a Royal Bank of Canada commercial starring Marie-Philip Poulin (women's hockey captain) that doesn't sound like it's voiced by her, and is certainly a script of something she wouldn't say. I just had to Google what it's for, so good job there. Maybe it's Tide, as I recall Tide doing the same thing to Cassie Campbell (using a different voice actor instead of Cassie herself).

The Canadian Tire "We all play for Canada" ads are fantastic. The one with the dad setting his son up in a sledge to try sledge hockey makes me well up every time. There's another one of a little kid learning to curl that is also great. These may be geo-blocked, and they are in support of Team Canada, but the message in both is universal.

• Love 4

Both of the family Comcast commercials - the one with the father monitoring his daughter's viewing and the one with the son moving home - annoy me.

Also, how is driving down a parking garage a "quintuple axel?"  

I'm looking forward to never seeing the Ashley-in-a-red dress commercial again.  I enjoyed Apolo's gold commercial the first 7,296 times I saw it, but I'm ready to be done now.

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ombelico said:

The Walmart "Ring My Bell" commercial isn't Olympics-specific, but I've definitely seen this one more often during the Olympics, and really hope it goes away fast. God, that song is so annoying.

Aw, I was gong to post in the Commercials Earworms thread how much I like it.  :D

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ombelico said:

The Walmart "Ring My Bell" commercial isn't Olympics-specific, but I've definitely seen this one more often during the Olympics, and really hope it goes away fast. God, that song is so annoying.

I love it.  Such a simple concept and such a great use of a classic song... I'm surprised no one has used it before.

I'm hoping the Ashley Wagner in a red dress gets permanently retired.

• Love 1

I have to say, other than the one with Lauren Woolstencroft and the one with the Paralympic sled hockey player, I hated pretty much all the Olympic related commercials this year.  Especially the ones with Lindsey Vonn and Michaela Schiffrin.