Type keyword(s) to search

Season One: The Year of the Freak-of-the-Week

Very apropos, don't you think?

Unlike most, I actually love the first season, and that it was mainly people infected with Kryptonite that turned them into freaks, if you will.

What I love most about the pilot? Is that, just watching it, I could believe Tom Welling as Clark Kent. He was so...charming, cute, earnest.  Let's not forget how, while Martha was calling him down to breakfast, he was "speed reading" the news on his computer.

I wish we had gotten more of that. Clark using those powers. Instead of moping over that Pink Twaddle Pwincess, known as Lana.

Which, also eww, because she was 14, yet had been dating Whitney for a long time, which again, ewww. Like, he couldn't find someone closer to his own age? In high school, a 14 and 17 year old? Just squicky.

I did like that they made the Kents younger. Because well, I love me my Bo Kent. Err, I mean John Schneider. Whaaat?

Hee! I love the freak of the week stuff too! I like all of Season 1, it was still so much fun back then! I mean it wasn't the best show in the world or anything but it was a simpler time, before all of the secrets and lies and I thought it was just a fun show to watch. I almost never wanted to throw things at the TV during this season. 

• Love 1

I recently started watching Smallville. The first time round I remember catching it in the first season, then for some reason I quit watching and never really got back into it. So this time round, going into it, it was like a fresh show. I only knew vague basics like Clark never puts on the suit and how him and Lex started off as friends at at some point, Jonathon dies.

I have to say, I really liked season one. The pilot was such a great set-up. Loved all the characters but Lex was just fascinating. His whole season arc culminated so beautifully in that moment when he hesitated in saving his dad in Tempest. I adore Clark. I felt for him and his feelings and emotions all through the season. I could buy Jonathon and Martha's fear at keeping him safe yet felt their love for him.

Whitney and Pete were the only two characters that didn't make as much of an impression. I liked the girls.  Clark has chemistry with both and I wouldn't mind at the end of this season to see him with either Lana or Chloe.

The Nixon arc was a great one for the season. Ideal for the first season.

There were a lot of dud episodes but overall I really enjoyed this season. Standout episodes were Hourglass, Hug, Jitters, Tempest.

• Love 2

I'm so glad to see others jumping into the show with me at this late stage. I started watching sometime after Christmas and am currently mid-S5. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts as you catch up to me. 

Edited by DittyDotDot

I'm literally binge watching. :) Mostly because I have the time these days due to being off from work but also because I'm finding it genuinely engaging. I don't know why I didn't give this a go the first time round. Older and wiser? Or simply older and more tolerant, lol. 

• Love 1

I think if I'd binged watched the whole show I probably would be more forgiving.  Less time to hope and imagine things better than what they actually turned out to be and less time to rage about the crap when it is pulled. 

Season one was pretty solid.  Funny to remember there was at the time a serious question as to if it would even get renewed because of the then impending Superboy lawsuit.

• Love 1

Ah, Season 1, when things were fresh and yet to be tainted by fake babies and retcons for the sake of mythos. I'm actually running through a re-watch of all the seasons right now.

While the freak of the week was formulaic, I've noticed it's a formula that a lot of shows in this genre have done in their early seasons. Instead of focusing on some big mystery right away, the writers will have a problem that can be solved in one episode and will use that framework to flesh out their characters, and then once the characters are established, use their personalities and backstories to create longer story arcs down the road. And while some of the meteor-infected powers were lame, it didn't bother me too much.

Craving is one of the worst of this season, but the scene at the end with Clark and Lana is one of their better scenes, not just in the season, but in the series. I'm not a Clana shipper at all, but the scenes between them early on before the secrets and lies crap were nice. Their yelling in the sky at the end of Hothead was a good one as well. Too bad the writers had to bring in unnecessary drama to ruin everything.

Top 5 eps: Pilot, Hourglass, Rogue, Leech, and the Chlark Trilogy (yes, it's cheating, but they all have to go together)

Bottom 5 eps: Metamorphosis, X-Ray, Craving, Shimmer, and Reaper

• Love 1

One of the things I really enjoyed and loved about the first season was how charming and endearing Clark was.  Like "Craving"--the way he "spoke" for Pete, when Jodi is asking Pete if he's free for the dance..does he have a date...you see Clark nudging a speechless yet stuttering Pete, with "no he doesn't" (have a date) and saying "yes, he'll go with you" (or something like that), all the while smiling that sweet grin. Man, I LOVED Clark in Season One.

• Love 3

Okay, maybe this should go in the unpopular opinions thread, but is it just me who found Clark creepy in S1? Not only with his basically stalking Lana, but sometimes he would smile and I would feel icy fingers trickle down my spine. If I didn't know better, I would've thought Clark was being set up to be the villain and Lex the hero. That's actually what I liked about S1; things weren't so obvious in the beginning. 

• Love 1

Okay, maybe this should go in the unpopular opinions thread, but is it just me who found Clark creepy in S1? Not only with his basically stalking Lana, but sometimes he would smile and I would feel icy fingers trickle down my spine. If I didn't know better, I would've thought Clark was being set up to be the villain and Lex the hero. That's actually what I liked about S1; things weren't so obvious in the beginning. 

Funny!  He did have those wolfy fangs.  ;)

Personally, I don't find Welling all that attractive, myself, but when I mentioned how he kind of creeped me out at first to a friend of mine, her response was, "it's the Superman factor; too perfect makes him also wrong." ::shrugs:: 

So. Because my stupidasslame-O internet, infinity "X1" dvr went on the fritz, again, I wasn't able to get online OR watch my shows...what to do? What to do?

Well, I'll tell you. I pulled out Season One and put it in the dvd player.

Sigh...I still sigh and swoon when Tom Welling appears on my screen. And I also do the same when I see Bo Duke John Schneider. You have to admit, the cast was very attractive with purty and hawt actors.

The actress who played wee Lana was cute, but for some reason, that picture of her on Time magazine, just made her look, at times, like a monkey. Don't BEAN me! Because she was a pretty child.

And wow, boy did Allison Mack look so...young. I'm sure all the actors, Sam, Tom and Allison, were in their 20s, playing characters a decade younger, but they really were believable as teenagers.

I'm watching Rosenbaum as Lex and thinking, that while he was on this show, he was also providing the voice for Wally West/Flash in Justice League, and they both sound soooo different. So much pathos and gravitas for Lex, and so much...cuteness, silliness, and adorkableness for Wally.

Kristen is a pretty girl, I will grant you that, but good gawd was she a one note actress. And there was this weird thing she did with her tongue whenever she said "Clark."  Hard to explain, but I see her tongue moving against her teeth as she talks. Very distracting. Like someone who suffers from lisping, trying to enunciate.

So, as I was watching, I noticed something that I don't know if I ever mentioned here--in "Cool" when that douche, Sean, falls into the krptonite infested lake, after Whitney threw the football that far...why no one, NO ONE, not any of his football cronies, Whitney included, looked for him? I mean, the pizza arrived and he was there with them, and was going to get the football back. But the show just shows him, the next morning, trying to get warm.  I tend not to overthink things, but for some reason, this was just very glaring. It's not as if Sean was some wannabe, wanting to hang out with everyone.

And then there's "hothead" with one of my favorite lines, that by the end of Season 8, turned into a Big FAT Lie.

Chloe tells Clark she hates when Clark shuts her out, and asks him what's going on? Is he outgrowing their friendship?  Clark looks at her, closes the distance between them (they're in the school hallway) and says:

"Chloe, I could never outgrow you, except maybe vertically." And then gives her that charming grin. And Chloe is charmed, because she gets a huge grin on her face, which tells us, yeah, she really does like like Clark; as in more than a friend. It's such a cute scene. And it made my cold and cynical heart melt as I watched it.

We'll see how far I get in my fifth? or is it sixth? rewatch of this show. I mean, it's like eating Pringles--you can't just have one--I can't just stop watching once my teevee is fixed. I have to watch it all. Luckily, I've yet to get the last season, so I'll be spared that.  But dammit, I didn't know there was an unaired pilot! Was that included in like, a new edition of the S1 dvds? Because I don't recall it being in my set that I got years ago! This one is similar to the aired one, except it has Cynthia Ettinger, who was originally cast as Martha before  the role was recast with Annette.

• Love 1

Clark never out grew Chloe, since it was pure childish regression that had him acting like a dickwad to her.

True. But the way Clark paused when Chloe asked him that...then turning around fully, and walking up to her and telling her that? It's a double-edged sword for me. Sighing and grinning foolishly at the way they're both smiling at each other, and now, now knowing what will happen a few years down the road...

• Love 1

Smallville both broke me and saved me.  It got so bad and bothered me so much that I finally accepted that their story that they were telling was no more valid than the story that I wanted told and so I told myself some other versions of the story.  It doesn't stop me from revisiting the rage if I spend too much time thinking about those specific crappy moments, but again, their imaginary tale is no more valid than another imaginary tale. 

So did Clark really ever out grow Chloe or did he have a few years of massive stupidity before he grew up and got smart?  Yeah, Smallville set me free.  There are no unhappy endings to any of my shows anymore.  :D

Since I'm zipping through and up to the end of Season 3, and I have a BOATLOAD of the Pink Pestilence to rant on, I'magonnaheadonover to the general Episode Discussion thread. Methinks someone *cough*BkWurm*cough* should create a thread for Relationships.

But let me just say this for Season One--if not for Clark wearing LanaBlinders, something Martha, and Clark himself admitted to--to the Her Pinkness Herself, he would have pursued Chloe. Hell, even said he could see them as more than friends before the Spring Formal, and I will forever be PISSED that Chloe didn't get her second, but first REAL Kiss with Clark! Damned Tornado.

• Love 1

Since I'm zipping through and up to the end of Season 3, and I have a BOATLOAD of the Pink Pestilence to rant on, I'magonnaheadonover to the general Episode Discussion thread. Methinks someone *cough*BkWurm*cough* should create a thread for Relationships.

Ask and it shall be!!

• Love 1

Here's what I love about the first season, aside from how charming and endearing Clark/Tom was.

The friendship between Clark and Chloe when Lana wasn't around and or when Clark wasn't moping and schmooping over her.  Two episodes that come to mind are "Hothead" and "Shimmer." In the first, when Dan Lauria's coach sets the torch on fire and Clark runs to save Chloe, he doesn't just try to get her out of there, but when the fire suddenly dies, he holds her close to him in a hug; and then when Chloe falls down from the window at Luthor Mansion in "Shimmer" and how Clark is determined to find out who did it.  His guilt and anger over not being able to get to Chloe in time is so...well, I don't know what the word is, but I just can't help but love it.  If only Lana would stay away!  "Cool" is another good one.

And now it's killing me where I saw the deleted scene from "Metamorphorsis" because I know I saw it--it was when Jonathan tells Martha that Clark was floating, and she repeats it. It's only a minute, and the hug we see of them in the opening credits is the deleted scene. But there is no deleted scenes in the special features on the first disc! And I KNOW I saw it in the first season dvd!

Well, I've got nothing else better to do, so I guess I'll just have to watch the first season again.

• Love 1

Just ignore my last post!

I think when I was doing my rewatch that I didn't watch the special features on the last disc, which do contain all the deleted scenes from this season -as opposed to other seasons which had the deleted scenes on the same disc as the episodes. Still, it's not a chore or hardship to watch this season again because Tom is just SOOO adorable and though he can be a jerk, he's so sweet.

Example: in "Drone" he's acting like an ass (but that's what makes him real and not perfect and believable) when Chloe endorses Paul for President and not Clark. Love all the Godfather references!

But I love that one scene between Clark and Chloe in Sasha's "hive":

"Look, Chloe. I-I don't hold it against you. The endorsement, I mean."

"Thanks. I could have warned you though."

"I just don't like being in a fight with you."

"yeah, that wasn't my favorite part either."

Clark smiles, lets out a little laugh, and then:

"Everything has changed in my life this past year. My parents, Lana. The only constant has been you. I'm glad for that, Chloe."

And let's not forget in "Metamorphosis":

"You're not outgrowing me as a friend, are you?"

Clark walks up to Chloe, closing the distance and smiles:

"I could never outgrow you, Chloe. Other than vertically."

HUGE Smile. Chloe smiles back.

Freaks of the weeks aside, I think, after megamarathon watching, this is my favorite season, because I can watch all the episodes over and over again. Well, except for "Club Zero" though I doubt that's the episode's name. Okay, okay, yes, I fast forward all scenes Lana and her judgmentaliness and hypocrisy and self-centerdness. Hey look! I suffer too, because that means I'm fast forwarding Clark too!

It's not just her Pink Pestilenceness, either. It's that I still remember what it was like to be 14-15, and the words that come out of her mouth about her life not being what she thought it was, needing to find what she's good at, blah, blah, blah, is NOT something a mostly well adjusted teen thinks or talks about. Or maybe it is, because, did you know? Her parents were killed smashed like pancakes by the meteor shower? (That will never NOT be UCG or old). Like she remembers, as a baby, what she used to do with her parents. And at a time when she's Whitney's girlfriend, is making demands that Clark "not let her down again" as if he's her boyfriend. And then sulking because he didn't make it to her pretentious birthday party or had to cut their "date" short.

Sure, sure, WE know why, and Clark should have been able to tell her why in "Cool" and I like to think he told her why in "Craving."

Okay, going back to my watching swooning over Tom's adorableness/gorgeousness/charm, as well as the friendship between Clark and Lex.

Carry on!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I couldn't help but judge Lana for how unappreciative she was of her Aunt.  Nell raised her since she was three.  THREE!  For all intents and purposes, Nell was her mom but nope, just not good enough for Lana.  If they'd at least made Nell unlikable or something but apart from her daring to start dating when Lana is 15, yeah, I got nothing. 

• Love 2

Ah, season 1...I was kind of ambivalent about it when I first watched the show, but now I adore it. It may not be among the highest quality seasons to most, but it's easily among the two or three to which I'm most sentimentally attached. Sure, parts were really clunky, awkward and cheesy, but that's a big part of its charm!

There was just this sense of fun, hope and untapped potential then. The more grating elements of the series for me (including the endlessly repetitive Clark/Lana stuff) hadn't yet started to grate...much :) I'm a sucker for the S1 Clark/Lex friendship despite/because of knowing what inevitably happens to them. S1 Chloe is amazing and somehow doesn't seem as defined by her mostly unrequited yearning for Clark as she does in S2-S5 to me. S1 Lionel and Lionel/Lex is golden. I actually enjoy Whitney. (I can't begin to defend that!) And somehow I just buy Tom Welling more as a slightly awkward, boy scout-y, somewhat charmingly naive teen than the more 'tough', confident superhero he (supposedly!) evolves into. Finally, I'm just an admitted sucker for engaging freak-of-the-week standalones over the somewhat darker story arcs of later seasons, especially given that so few shows execute those arcs especially well :)   

Oh, and Adam Brody even pops up in an episode this season! His appearance alone would probably make these DVDs worth owning for me ;)  

• Love 3

As I'm sitting down for my annual rewatch of the show, watching the pilot reminded me of something I've been meaning to point out, but kept forgetting.

The town is SMALLville, and based on the landscape of the town, fields, etc., my thInking is that the population before the meteor shower should have been 2,001 instead of 25,001. And that 12 years later, it should be 4,001, instead of 45,001. The original numbers scream big town and not small town, where everyone knew everybody and their bidnez.??

And it can't be said enough: Charming Clark! Adorable Clark! Endearing Clark! Clark who sped read the news before going to school! Part of the Scooby Gang which included Pete and Chloe!

Yeah, the population has always bugged me. The city I live in now has around the 25,001 and I only know what is in the local paper and it's not gossipy at all.  It has a classic small downtown, but most people just drive around it and head to the other end of town for the big stores. Unless someone is in local government or involved in school stuff, you don't know anyone.   Maybe if we were more isolated?  

I mean, I do have cows grazing in my neighbor's back forty and pass a dozen corn or soybean fields before I reach the first gas station, but I also am only about 15 minutes from the 2nd tier suburbs and no more than an hour from downtown in the Twin Cities.  No one in this part of the state really lives in a small town.  Technically my high school town which is next door to where I live now was a small  town (population 6000 and my graduation class didn't top 70) but no one was stuck in town. You weren't forced to interact cause there are so many options just a short drive away.    

But I've visited relatives that lived outside of Aberdeen South Dakota (population 26,000) and that twenty minute drive was treated like going to Mars and everything was about knowing a guy that worked out of the back of their barn locally.  

I do think though that if the population was only 2001, Smallville High would skew too small.  They need a bigger pool for the freak of the week. Otherwise they'd never have made it even four seasons.  

Edited by BkWurm1

I think it comes down to isolation or population density, more than anything. I grew up on a farm outside of a small town that boasted a population of about 400, my graduating class was 35, and the next closest town (which was about the same size) was 40 miles away. But, if you went 60 miles you'd get to a town of about 15,000 people where even I knew some of those people's business and I lived almost 60 miles away. That's how far we'd have to travel for doctor visits, to see a movie, or any real shopping and is also how far our law enforcement had to travel to get to us in an emergency. Knowing your neighbors was a sort of a survival skill.

I currently live in a small town of about 1,500 people, but there's another five small towns of around 500-1000 people within a 30 mile radius. You have to travel over a 100 miles to the nearest "big" city, but there's a small town almost every 10-20 miles. It's about the same population of my youth, but it's condensed into a much smaller area so it doesn't seem so small.  And, we have all necessary medical and emergency services close enough that I don't find it necessary to know my neighbors personally even though I know who they are.

Kansas seems to be more of the first variety. Lots of rolling farmland with the towns spread far apart. So, I think of the town of Smallville as around 20,000 people, but there's not another town for miles and miles and miles.

5 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Kansas seems to be more of the first variety. Lots of rolling farmland with the towns spread far apart. So, I think of the town of Smallville as around 20,000 people, but there's not another town for miles and miles and miles.

That would be logical since in season one Metropolis was three hours away, the nearest big city.  Later thought they introduced Granville as right next door and of course by season five Metropolis was only like a half hour away.  Lol.   

• Love 2

Gah....and more proof that Lana Pink Pestilence always thinks about no one but herself, and how everything is about HER.

So, Whitney is there "whenever" she needs him? Uh-huh. Yet, she was totes okay with him not making her "BIRTHDAAAAAAAY" party, yet held Clark's feet to the fire and gave him the ultimatum that he better not disappoint her, as if he were her boyfriend.

And then the whole going to Lex, giving him a good business reason to keep The Talon open, and then the very next episode, questions what "sekriths and lies" he has in his past and does she reeeeeeeealllyyyyyy know him, when fake!Jude Royce, a complete and utter stranger, tells her that she can't trust Lex, and that everything he's touches ends up in a disaster or fails, she believes HIM. You would think that Smallville was set in the 50s or something with her horror over seeing a chopped hand and "who could do such a horrrrrible thing?!"

Oh, it was painful, watching Clark rip into Chloe about investigating the "adoption agency" his parents got him from.

"Kinetic." So many, many good things about this. Like how Clark is watching over Chloe....brings in flowers that were clearly from his Mom's garden! And the sweet, sweet moment between them, before he goes off to investigate the tattoos!

I promised myself I wasn't going to repeat myself and talk rant about how WRONG and WOULD NEVER HAPPEN about Lana, a FRESHMAN being Homecoming Queen.  But I can't not do it. I mean, they're all starting high school, so how is she ALREADY ON THE SQUAD, when she's a fucking Freshman? Instead of, oh, you know, trying for the squad. Or that Whitney, a senior is dating this child. And the way the show presented it, they've been dating for awhile, and ewwwww!!!!  Unless Smallville High also included middle school grades??

And yeah, LANA, your FACE was the "heartbreak in the Heartland" because it was a MAJOR event. I didn't see any reporters or tabloid paparazzi still at your door, trying to keep you IN THE LIMELIGHT or whatever. The way she keeps harping on being an orphan, one would think that it only happened, and that Nell is running an orphanage and feeding her bread and water.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

The city I live in now has around the 25,001 and I only know what is in the local paper and it's not gossipy at all.  It has a classic small downtown, but most people just drive around it and head to the other end of town for the big stores. Unless someone is in local government or involved in school stuff, you don't know anyone.   Maybe if we were more isolated?  

I live in a town of about 155,000 people. It shares a border with a major city (DC) and is pretty dense/urban itself. But it's not anonymous at all. If you're from here, you can probably expect to have one degree of separation from pretty much anybody else who is from here -- and I mean, *anybody,* from the kid working at Popeye's to our House's rep in Congress. So to me, the population of Smallville didn't really seem too big (for how Smallville seemed to function, socially). YMMV. I agree that it needed to be at least sort of big, considering that there needed to be a new meteor freak showing up every week! ;)

Thinking about it now, if Clark, Lana, Chloe, Lex, and Co. lived here, I would probably know all their names from reading the local paper (which pretty much everybody does read), and I would probably have to deal with the Luthors in particular pretty frequently for city business, lol. And I'm just some random joe schmo who happened to grow up here and who isn't a complete hermit. (The idea of these characters living in my town is making me laugh right now, though. I can completely see how they'd fit in).

Actually, though, maybe a more isolated "small" town is likely to be more cosmopolitan than one (of the same size or even bigger) that's near a major hub/city? Maybe my town can afford to be such a social backwater specifically because "the city" is right there across the water, easily accessible. If we ourselves were considered "the city" around here, maybe our attitude would have to be less provincial! Lol.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, rue721 said:

I live in a town of about 155,000 people. It shares a border with a major city (DC)

Okay, now Rue, which town? Because we're probably neighbors! DC is 10 miles south of me, and I live in Rockville, MD. Or are you on the other side of DC, in VA?

• Love 1
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, now Rue, which town? Because we're probably neighbors! DC is 10 miles south of me, and I live in Rockville, MD. Or are you on the other side of DC, in VA?

Alexandria City! Yup, a Virginian ;)

Just now, rue721 said:

Alexandria City! Yup, a Virginian ;)

We be neighbors!!!! What a small, small world!

I still say, based on the number of characters and people we met and saw on the show, 25,001/45,001 was on the high side. I remember when I visited some friends who lived in Dubois, WY, population was 900, and from the layout and number of people I saw in town, well, it could have been a mirror for Smallville!

D'OH!!! I knew there was some episodes I missed! I had episodes 9-12 and 13-16, flipped, so I watched the latter first! So now I'm up to "Shimmer" and boy. One, Clark is a delusional jerk here, because Whitney's not helping with the blood drive, and yes, Lana, just because your boyfriend won't share every.single.thing (to her that means Sekrit) with her, then of course she should be questioning why they're together. Twat. Oh, and NOW, it's CLARK who's the one who's there when she needs him? And listens? YUCK.

And just call me petty, but I resented then and still resent  Lana intruding herself at the Torch. I somehow missed that blink and you'll miss it, cute scene with Clark and Chloe looking at his 'puter, sharing a joke, looking at each other and smiling at each other, and then Miss Pink Pestilence walks in, breaking the moment in "Rogue." If she was going to really try to help Chloe, when she went to Kwan, then why didn't she tell him, after he "told her" that "passion like hers" shouldn't be kept silent, that it's Chloe who needs to be the editor, because Chloe is the one with the most and real passion. Blech.

One of my favorite episodes is coming up soon..."Hug." Yes, it's one of my favorites because of the kiss.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I promised myself I wasn't going to repeat myself and talk rant about how WRONG and WOULD NEVER HAPPEN about Lana, a FRESHMAN being Homecoming Queen.  But I can't not do it. I mean, they're all starting high school, so how is she ALREADY ON THE SQUAD, when she's a fucking Freshman? Instead of, oh, you know, trying for the squad. Or that Whitney, a senior is dating this child. And the way the show presented it, they've been dating for awhile, and ewwwww!!!!  Unless Smallville High also included middle school grades??

My high school did actually have grades 7-12 in the same building and on the bus it was actually K-12.  So it's possible.

But personally I think that Clark and Chloe and Pete and Lana were supposed to be at least 16 in season one and their ages were retconned so they could keep them in high school longer.  Otherwise how do we really explain Clark and Chloe driving?  There are farm exceptions to driving at a young age but Chloe would not meet them.    

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

My high school did actually have grades 7-12 in the same building and on the bus it was actually K-12.  So it's possible.

But personally I think that Clark and Chloe and Pete and Lana were supposed to be at least 16 in season one and their ages were retconned so they could keep them in high school longer.  Otherwise how do we really explain Clark and Chloe driving?  There are farm exceptions to driving at a young age but Chloe would not meet them.    

But that stupid party for Lana was for her 15th birthday, not her 16th.  I know I shouldn't quibble and nitpick over this, but it continues to bug, just as seeing them drive.

And YAHS!!!! Clark actually admits he's attracted to Chloe but is focused on Lana because he wants to preserve their friendship. I'm blaming Herself for sending mixed messages for Clark being blind to his feelings for Chloe.??

Cuz  Clark wuz JEALOUS when he saw Justin and Chloe kissing in "Crush" and I chortled with glee at the end when Lana saw Clark reach over to hold Chloe's hand at the end. Always wanting what she doesn't have.?

"Obscura" is another good Clark and Chloe episode.

I always get misty as well as grin like a lovesick fool during the scene in Sasha's "Campaign Headquarters" about Chloe being his one constant and hating being in a fight with her in "Drone." But both Clark and Pete were major jerks to Chloe when she endorsed Paul.

I really wanted to hold onto my Whitney hate, but damned if he didn't turn into a decent guy by season's end.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And YAHS!!!! Clark actually admits he's attracted to Chloe but is focused on Lana because he doesn't want to preserve their friendship. I'm blaming Herself for sending mixed messages for Clark being blind to his feelings for Chloe.??

Did you mean to say he "does want" rather than doesn't?  

37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I chortled with glee at the end when Lana saw Clark reach over to hold Chloe's hand at the end. Always wanting what she doesn't have.?

Exactly!!!  

37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

"Obscura" is another good Clark and Chloe episode.

I love joyously sweeping Clark after he's asked Chloe to the Spring Formal.  He looks so unabashedly happy. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

Did you mean to say he "does want" rather than doesn't?  

??‍♀️ Yes! I had originally typed doesn't want to ruin the friendship, but I remembered he told Lex that he wanted to preserve it. Apparently you had already quoted me before I went back to correct it!??

3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I love joyously sweeping Clark after he's asked Chloe to the Spring Formal.  He looks so unabashedly happy. 

Oh me too! That shaking of the rake, as if that's the only way he can do the happy dance that she said yes and told him that his asking her so late was worth the wait. It's like he couldn't contain his joy!????

And there's this in "Tempest" after Chloe has a mini meltdown:

"Chloe." Clark leans down and kisses her cheek, but looks like it's the lips from people* walking around them.

"I'm going to the dance with you not by default, but because I want to."

*By people I mean Pink Pestilence.???

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

"I'm going to the dance with you not by default, but because I want to."

I really think that if Clark's dad hadn't been kidnapped and Clark's secret's weren't being threatened to come out that Clark

Spoiler

wouldn't have so easily agreed to just be friends with Chloe.  I honestly don't think it was him choosing Lana over Chloe (though it felt that way I think to her) but Clark being too overwhelmed by all the changes and risks in his life at that time and he wanted the stability of their friendship.  It didn't help that Chloe then left town for the summer.  But he looked so happy when she was back in season two. And she looked still torn up about him.  

It's interesting watching that scene now knowing about the cute guy "in a bow tie kind of way" that she deluded herself with over that summer.  

I put the above in spoiler tags once I realized I was talking about season two stuff.  

Edited by BkWurm1

Oh my inner teen self can't stop grinning at the scene in "Tempest" when Chloe pins the boutonnière on Clark-that look he gives her-like he wants to grab her and kiss her. He's never looked at Lana that way. If I knew how to screencap, I'd post it. Both are just looking into each other's eyes, and aside from wanting to kiss her, he's conveying the thought (at least that's how I see it) 'Why did I waste my time pining over Lana when you've been here all this time?'

I'll FOREVER be PISSED that they never got to actually kiss. Stupid weather announcement.????

• Love 2

I'm blaming you guys for the fact that I've been rewatching S1 all morning :) Is it genuinely good or am I just sentimentally and emotionally attached to it?! For whatever reason, I'm loving it this time around. Nearly all the characters are more likable to me, there's just this energy and freshness and sense of possibility and wonder that I love, Lex and his relationships with Clark and Lionel are already fascinating...

I'm seriously addicted and can't stop rewatching this freaking show. "Somebody saaaaaaave me" from this obsession! ;) 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

PERFECT!

You're the best, @BkWurm1!

There was also the way he was looking at her while she was pinning him-no smile- just with intensity as if he was seeing her for the first time and couldn't take his eyes off her. I'm explaining this badly, but I know you know what I mean!?

2 hours ago, amensisterfriend said:

I'm blaming you guys for the fact that I've been rewatching S1 all morning :) Is it genuinely good or am I just sentimentally and emotionally attached to it?! For whatever reason, I'm loving it this time around. Nearly all the characters are more likable to me, there's just this energy and freshness and sense of possibility and wonder that I love, Lex and his relationships with Clark and Lionel are already fascinating...

I'm seriously addicted and can't stop rewatching this freaking show. "Somebody saaaaaaave me" from this obsession! ;) 

I accept the blame with pleasure!!! I see so many diss this show, and even though I had my issues with how the characterization of characters I've loved in their other iterations wasn't the same here, and the last two seasons, there would be no other super hero shows without Smallville paving the way.

And here's an interesting trivia bit: David Nutter (who I've seen is liked by a lot) directed the pilots for this show, Arrow and Flash. I didn't check to see if he'd done so for Legends.

I'll have more later as I'm currently shopping for food to match with the ? I will be imbibing tomorrow night. And yes, I'll be watching this show to ring in the new year!?????

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And here's an interesting trivia bit: David Nutter (who I've seen is liked by a lot) directed the pilots for this show, Arrow and Flash. I didn't check to see if he'd done so for Legends.

No, Glen Winter directed the Legends of Tomorrow pilot--Nutter was probably too busy directing Game of Thrones at the time. More trivia, Winter was director of photography on Arrow and has directed a few episodes of Supergirl and Arrow. Plus, was also directory of photography on the pilot for The Flash. These shows are almost incestuous!! ;)

BTW, David Nutter also directed the pilots for Supernatural, The Mentalist, Dark Angel, Roswell, and some others I can't think of right now. I guess he used to be known for directing successful TV pilots.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

No, Glen Winter directed the Legends of Tomorrow pilot--Nutter was probably too busy directing Game of Thrones at the time. More trivia, Winter was director of photography on Arrow and has directed a few episodes of Supergirl and Arrow. Plus, was also directory of photography on the pilot for The Flash. These shows are almost incestuous!! ;)

BTW, David Nutter also directed the pilots for Supernatural, The Mentalist, Dark Angel, Roswell, and some others I can't think of right now. I guess he used to be known for directing successful TV pilots.

Thanks @DittyDotDot

I've also noticed the number of people that were part of this show, now involved in the current super hero shows! ??

I'm wondering how long it will take for others to come aboard! As I pointed out to @BkWurm1, the first season of Arrow featured Principal Kwan as the doctor in the pilot and Aunt Nell as Mommy in the Royal Flush Gang!??

• Love 1

Turns out I don't have more, after all, heh. Except to say that sadly, no full shirtless Bo Kent in season one. The closest we came to it was in "Nicodemus.".

The other thing that marred an almost perfect moment between Clark and Chloe was the instant, go to of "Lana!" by Clark after the announcement that Tornadoes were coming. On to season two, where I've got to vent yet again!

19 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I really think that if Clark's dad hadn't been kidnapped and Clark's secret's weren't being threatened to come out

Eh? Is this that something happened this season?